Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Type S Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I stand corrected. But I have never seen a non Type-S in Morocan Red Pearl, have you?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by RainSupreme
I stand corrected. But I have never seen a non Type-S in Morocan Red Pearl, have you?
I actually see them quite often around here. Infact a guy I work with has a MRP base TL with nav. Very nice looking car and if I did not want a Type S I think my first choice would have been a MRP base nav with tan interior. Love it!
One thing that may confuse you is that the Type S in MRP appears darker because of the wheels, almost looks like a dark red. I think because the base car has brighter silver wheels make it looks more like a standard red.

james
Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Before I bought the car I never knew the TL came in MRP. I've only seen RDX's in the color. Honda Accords come in MRP too.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the styling of the Type S, but am wondering if there is much difference between the base and Type S in handling and performance. Haven't driven a base yet and it has been awhile since I drove the Type S. Is there a major difference in performance? Don't care about Navi and interior features.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by dallasjetfan
I really like the styling of the Type S, but am wondering if there is much difference between the base and Type S in handling and performance. Haven't driven a base yet and it has been awhile since I drove the Type S. Is there a major difference in performance? Don't care about Navi and interior features.
the 6mt base TL is on par power wise with the auto tl-s.
both put down about 230hp to the front wheels.

the auto base TL puts down 210 to the wheels.

The best performer is the 6MT TL-S.
I'm not sure how much horsepower it puts down to the wheels.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
the 6mt base TL is on par power wise with the auto tl-s.
both put down about 230hp to the front wheels.

the auto base TL puts down 210 to the wheels.

The best performer is the 6MT TL-S.
I'm not sure how much horsepower it puts down to the wheels.
That's perfect. I really like the 6MT, but not sure if I want to drive a manual again. Fun for about a year and then I get tired of them. So the base is still pretty powerful and handles pretty nice?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

^not sure, I dont have a base auto.

but a lot of people on here have the base auto, and they seem fine. the car can move.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

^not sure, I dont have a base auto.

but a lot of people on here have the base auto, and they seem fine. the car can move.
Is the suspension for the Type S firmer and lower?? I will just have to get my lazy ass out and test drive both.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM

^not lower.

but firmer.

the 6mt base TL's are fimer as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Safety Car

That's perfect. I really like the 6MT, but not sure if I want to drive a manual again. Fun for about a year and then I get tired of them. So the base is still pretty powerful and handles pretty nice?
I owned all three lol. First TL was a 07 base w/nav, then purchased a 07 TL-S auto, and now I currently own a 08 TL-S 6mt.

As far as performance between the base and Type S autos they are pretty close. Obviously the Type S should be quicker but the difference was minimal enough to where I couldnt confidentaly say 100% that the Type S felt quicker because it was just too close. I will say that the Type S for sure rides firmer. Cant say if it handles significantly better as I dont race the cars they were just my daily street drivers. The looks, styling, options, and uniqueness are what really sold me on the Type S. My current 08 6mt S feels significantly quicker than my previous Type S and base. That I can say for sure!
Hope this helps.

James
Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I owned all three lol. First TL was a 07 base w/nav, then purchased a 07 TL-S auto, and now I currently own a 08 TL-S 6mt.

.... My current 08 6mt S feels significantly quicker than my previous Type S and base. That I can say for sure!
Hope this helps.

James
Thats because it puts down the most power between the 3.
less drive train loss.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Safety Car

Thats because it puts down the most power between the 3.
less drive train loss.
Yes, I know. lol
Old 04-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It would be a deal killer to have rashed rims. I love the Type S rims so they have to be perfect on all 4. Thanks for the info!!
I thought the same thing when I was buying my car. The only problem is that it only had 23k miles on it which is damn low for a 4 year old car, and that was literally the only thing wrong with the car. Luckily there is a place here in Sacramento that is very good at repairing curbed rims so I took advantage of that.

I am also someone that cannot remember ever running into a curb, except for when i used to have a dodge durango and I would run over everything because it had huge tires and it didnt matter.

This girl I am friends with has an 05 TL and the entire circumference of all 4 rims is all rashed . She says she hits them all the time turning left at intersections and said that she doesn't understand how you don't hit them sometimes. I think it is honestly a hand eye coordination thing, and maybe being a decent athlete helps with knowing how big your car is and where your surroundings are.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnfilice
This girl I am friends with has an 05 TL and the entire circumference of all 4 rims is all rashed . She says she hits them all the time turning left at intersections and said that she doesn't understand how you don't hit them sometimes. I think it is honestly a hand eye coordination thing, and maybe being a decent athlete helps with knowing how big your car is and where your surroundings are.
Key word....GIRL.. not to be sexist or anything ;-) no im only kidding...half the guys on this forum have rims that are total junk now. But its funny you said she doesnt understand how people dont hit curbs...I think the complete opposite I dont see how people hit stuff so much.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Racer

I actually see them quite often around here. Infact a guy I work with has a MRP base TL with nav. Very nice looking car and if I did not want a Type S I think my first choice would have been a MRP base nav with tan interior. Love it!
One thing that may confuse you is that the Type S in MRP appears darker because of the wheels, almost looks like a dark red. I think because the base car has brighter silver wheels make it looks more like a standard red.

james
Makes sense! Thanks for the clarification!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

I am trying to decide between the Type S and the Base at this point. As a late entry I am also looking at the VW CC. I begun to sell off my mods for my FJ and will be buying soon. Hoping to find a 6MT, but they are hard to find and even harder in a color I would want.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My only complaint about the type-s is that it's FWD and no aftermarket.

I miss RWD terribly. My own fault. The type-s wants to be driven like a drivers car but it just can't be. It's limited by being FWD
Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 PM
Intermediate

FWD doesn't bother me so much since I am used to with VW's. Just want something fun, quick and not a gas killer. 20mpg is all I ask.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:15 AM
Racer

I averaged between 29-32 MPG on my trip to Jersey today
Old 04-04-2011, 12:22 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RainSupreme
I averaged between 29-32 MPG on my trip to Jersey today
I averaged 12-13 with my FJ. Gone soon!!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Waltah
My only complaint about the type-s is that it's FWD and no aftermarket.

I miss RWD terribly. My own fault. The type-s wants to be driven like a drivers car but it just can't be. It's limited by being FWD
explain. do you mean in a straight line? with a few bolt ons, it doesn't have a difficult time pulling away from Z's and G's (only my experience). as far as aftermarket support...there's quite a bit (maybe it's just me?). comparable to the aftermarket support with nissan/infiniti cars (sorry, the only other modding experience i have). isn't there a standalone piggy in the works? plus the turbo kits
Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ 6MT TL-S' that is.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Burning Brakes

straight line the cars fine once i hooks up. hitting the twisties leaves something to be desired once you want to accelerate out of sharp turns and it wants to torque steer your arms off, haha. plus the car feels nose heavy in turns.

as for aftermarket support , i still think the TLs are lacking in the performance category. i know there are a few bolt-ons and such but as far as boost there are very little options.

i came from a G8 with an LS3 in it so performance aftermarket was infinite. before that i had a civic si, pretty large aftermarket. So the TL was a huge disappointment in that area.

other than those couple of things, the car is fantastic. Enough power for fun light to light or on the highway, the interior is a perfect mix of sport and luxury, fuel economy is great on the highway (30-32) and city (24-26), it has the look thatll get you compliments from friends and family, and so on. It's an awesome every day driver for me and a real highway warrior. I look forward to taking it on trips aside from putting miles on it.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Safety Car

Nah Acura did good making the TL FWD. That gave them the edge in that its a car that can be driven year round in all parts of the country. If the TL was RWD I wouldnt have bought one simply because RWD is poor in winter conditions. My 07 TL-S did amazing all winter long. For those that think driving a 6mt Type S with all the torque steer is a handfull, try driving a rwd car that puts down real power. They are even more of a handfull!! Infact my C6 Z06 vette cant get traction unless its 80+ degrees outside otherwise the pavement and tires just arent warm enough (using stock runflat tires 325-35-19).
Also, for what its worth I never experienced any torque steer in my automatic 07 TL-S. It wasnt until I got my 08 6mt Type S that I realized how insane torque steer can be. First gear is nuts!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
7th Gear

straight line the cars fine once i hooks up. hitting the twisties leaves something to be desired once you want to accelerate out of sharp turns and it wants to torque steer your arms off, haha. plus the car feels nose heavy in turns.

as for aftermarket support , i still think the TLs are lacking in the performance category. i know there are a few bolt-ons and such but as far as boost there are very little options.

i came from a G8 with an LS3 in it so performance aftermarket was infinite. before that i had a civic si, pretty large aftermarket. So the TL was a huge disappointment in that area.

other than those couple of things, the car is fantastic. Enough power for fun light to light or on the highway, the interior is a perfect mix of sport and luxury, fuel economy is great on the highway (30-32) and city (24-26), it has the look thatll get you compliments from friends and family, and so on. It's an awesome every day driver for me and a real highway warrior. I look forward to taking it on trips aside from putting miles on it.
Missing the G8 eh? Whats up Waltah? Looking to pick up a Type S shortly to replace the JSRT8.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Nah Acura did good making the TL FWD. That gave them the edge in that its a car that can be driven year round in all parts of the country. If the TL was RWD I wouldnt have bought one simply because RWD is poor in winter conditions. My 07 TL-S did amazing all winter long. For those that think driving a 6mt Type S with all the torque steer is a handfull, try driving a rwd car that puts down real power. They are even more of a handfull!! Infact my C6 Z06 vette cant get traction unless its 80+ degrees outside otherwise the pavement and tires just arent warm enough (using stock runflat tires 325-35-19).
Also, for what its worth I never experienced any torque steer in my automatic 07 TL-S. It wasnt until I got my 08 6mt Type S that I realized how insane torque steer can be. First gear is nuts!
sorry but comparing FWD torque steer to the backend getting loose in a performance RWD car are 2 different things completely. RWD power is more manageable if you arent a complete imbecile.

i disagree with your assessment of FWD > RWD in the winter. there are too many more variables. My 400hp RWD G8 with hankook icebear tires was leaps and bounds better than my 286hp FWD all season TL. the g8 was 50/50 weight distro with winter tires.....better than a nose heavy FWD on all seasons in slick conditions in my opinion.

also sounds like the stock tires on your z06 suck.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HsvGts
Missing the G8 eh? Whats up Waltah? Looking to pick up a Type S shortly to replace the JSRT8.
sure do, in all honesty though. im thinking ill end up in an m3 or a cts-v when its all said and done. The GXP is such a great car but by the time ill be looking again ill be better off moving on to another platform.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

It is damn near impossible to find a Type S w/6MT and is impossible to find one in white!! UGH!! I hope these cars are worth the wait.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It is damn near impossible to find a Type S w/6MT and is impossible to find one in white!! UGH!! I hope these cars are worth the wait.
I know how u feel. I love WDP, but i cant wait any longer so im getting CBP. The longer I wait, the lower my trade-in value becomes, so i gotta be fast b4 i realli take a huge hit. There are plenty of WDP all over the US for sale, but they are high mileage 50k+ and out of state for me. Besides there is a huge price to pay with WDP, mismatched bumpers....
Old 04-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well worth the wait. Every time I launched Autotrader.com or Cars.com, it was like hoping to hit the lotto jackpot everyday for 18 months. Good luck. If you want one bad enough, you'll most likely have to travel to get one.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Safety Car

sorry but comparing FWD torque steer to the backend getting loose in a performance RWD car are 2 different things completely. RWD power is more manageable if you arent a complete imbecile.
Its more manageable to a point...sure a 3 to 400 hp car ofcourse rwd will be manageable, but when you start talking 500+hp things get a little different. From my experience with vehicles that I have owned rwd can be a handful especially if its anything below 80 degrees and using OEM tires.

As far as the winter driving goes I guess thats all personal preference as well. In my experiences here around Chicago I would take a FWD car over RWD any day!! I know what you mean about there being many factors, but say a RWD car with OEM tires vs a FWD car with OEM tires...its a no brainer FWD will outperform and out handle the RWD in snow each and everytime.

James
Old 04-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Intermediate

Is the base TL still a fun car to drive? Just trying to keep options open if a Type S isn't available when I am ready to buy in a month.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:33 PM

^ i have a base 6MT and its FUN!!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Intermediate

Is it just me or is the leather on the TL's really soft? Almost all the ones I have seen have some sort of cracking to them.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:32 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Is it just me or is the leather on the TL's really soft? Almost all the ones I have seen have some sort of cracking to them.
Yeah, it is really soft. There's another thread with the reasons why it is prone to creasing/cracking... mainly due to the grade of leather Honda uses.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I recently bought a 07 White DP Type S Auto with 56k miles. Love the car, only thing I miss is RWD (Previously had a 04 G35 Sedan).

I didnt test drive the base, as I only wanted the Type S. I like to have all the bells and whistles out of box.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 AM
6th Gear

Whats up guys. I own a medium modded 2007 camry SE. I have had it for a little over 4 years. When I bought it new, the type S was 10K out of reach. To me, it's always been the car that got away. Lately I have been looking around for some in my area. I see myself selling my car and getting a type S at the end of the year. I really want a kitetic blue pearl. I remember seeing one in person at an Airforce base I was stationed at. I had walked by one on my way to the gym. One glance wasn't enough for me, I had to check that car out several times over. Ill be keeping an eye on this thread. I want to know what to look for when I get to the point where I am ready to buy one.

This is my car right now:

Old 04-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
thread jack lol ... nice camry
Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Searching..

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
cons of a type-s? i dont think there really is any..
Old 04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AznAccord08
cons of a type-s? i dont think there really is any..
I am coming from an FJ Cruiser and previous to that I had many FWD Jetta's with turbos. Definitely felt the torque steer, but I am guessing the Type S is just a nicer riding vehicle. Going to test drive one soon.

Quick Reply: Type S Pros/Cons