Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Minor Poblems + 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Minor Poblems + 2 questions

Hey guys, I'm not much of a poster here but I check the site DAILY. Here is the deal I own a 2007 TL-S currently have 3580 Miles on it with 30% oil life left is that good or bad? I'm taking the car to the dealer for an oil change soon around 15% or 10% oil life, is that good or should I go sooner? By the way I have free oil changes for life so thats why im going to the dealer.
Here is the problem, since i bought the TL back in late Jun. everytime I come to a complete stop i always heard a grind noise coming from the brakes I can also hear it when I let go the brakes. To make it clear it is the same noise everybody hears when brake rotors are wet. However, sometimes the noise is gone but mostly is ON n OFF, the car brakes fine is just that little problem. Now is that normal? I know what you guys are going to say why didnt i take it to the dealer? Well i thought the noise would have gone away after a few drives but it didnt
Second problem, I need a pic for this one but i'll try to explain for now them later i'll post a pic when i get home. Picture the shifter area of our TLs well underneath there is some type of glue cover or something to avoid rattles or scratches well that glue is coming off I dunno how I'll post a pic later so you guys can see what I mean.

Final question, Im thinking about buying some HIDS for the fogs. Im confused regarding the bulb size it is H8 or H11??? Also i was thinking about hids for the DRLs is there any modification required or it is just plug n play? N what size of bulb are they?

Ok thats it, sorry for the long post N pardon me if is a bit confuse to understand. THANKS guys
Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
@ 10% call dealer setup the appt.

the rest of your Q's i got nothing
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by KineticTypeS
Hey guys, I'm not much of a poster here but I check the site DAILY. Here is the deal I own a 2007 TL-S currently have 3580 Miles on it with 30% oil life left is that good or bad? I'm taking the car to the dealer for an oil change soon around 15% or 10% oil life, is that good or should I go sooner? By the way I have free oil changes for life so thats why im going to the dealer.
Here is the problem, since i bought the TL back in late Jun. everytime I come to a complete stop i always heard a grind noise coming from the brakes I can also hear it when I let go the brakes. To make it clear it is the same noise everybody hears when brake rotors are wet. However, sometimes the noise is gone but mostly is ON n OFF, the car brakes fine is just that little problem. Now is that normal? I know what you guys are going to say why didnt i take it to the dealer? Well i thought the noise would have gone away after a few drives but it didnt
Second problem, I need a pic for this one but i'll try to explain for now them later i'll post a pic when i get home. Picture the shifter area of our TLs well underneath there is some type of glue cover or something to avoid rattles or scratches well that glue is coming off I dunno how I'll post a pic later so you guys can see what I mean.

Final question, Im thinking about buying some HIDS for the fogs. Im confused regarding the bulb size it is H8 or H11??? Also i was thinking about hids for the DRLs is there any modification required or it is just plug n play? N what size of bulb are they?

Ok thats it, sorry for the long post N pardon me if is a bit confuse to understand. THANKS guys
The bulbs are H8....the manual is wrong.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Anybody else???
Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
you have very much all the same questions I had when I joined

I got my type s in april and required an oil change before the summer (at ~3500) city driving mostly

as for that little felt glue under the silver flat thing infront of the shifter it is infact to stop rattles, I pulled mine out since it was looking very cheap, truth be told it doesnt rattle, its just there so that it doesn't move side to side, I think I good fix for that would be to remove it and put a couple dabs of hot glue underneath

as for the breaks... is it lets say when you are stopped at a light and you ease off the break slightly you hear it kinda grind, thats the brembo grip its very sticky, you shouldn't do that though since it can glaze the rotors... if you ever get a squeek since you only have 3k miles you'd want to resurface the pads so you'd go like 15mph and break a few times till you come to a complete stop to rebed the breaks...

hope this helps, enjoy the car looks like you don't have much problems

ps. you should look into getting 5w30 put in and also bringing your own oil to wherever you plan on getting it, I suggest amsoil or royal purple, additionally you'd want to bring your own filter since alot of guys here recommend the s2000 filter or a hamp filter (which is the jdm honda filter)

check inlinefour.com for some good prices on royal purple, s2000 filter and hamp filter
Old 11-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Thanks stillhere153 regarding the info, about the brakes im still going to mention it to the dealer though to see what they say n yes you're right i dont have no other problems at all "knock on wood". Anything regarding the bulb size for the fogs n drl's? can someone please give me so input on that...
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Regarding the foglights, yes, they are H8's. (Check my sig)

Regarding changing out your DRL's, if you just want to change to a different bulb, yes, it's plug-n-play. If you want HID DRL's, then you will need an HID kit, with ballasts, etc. I don't know the DRL bulb size, but IMHO, I don't endorse this . DRL's are meant specifically for safety reasons, and making them HID would only hinder the vision of the driver directly ahead of you.

Just my but do what you must! I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks princelybug for your input. Now I'm clear on what size of HID bulbs to get for my fogs, I'm taking your advise regarding the DRL's but i just thought it would look better than those piss yellow lights we have but oh well...thanks to all that reply to this thread
Old 11-10-2007, 01:48 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Your welcome, no problem, bro. I have actually contemplated changing my DRL's to "Hyper Yellows" as well, but I haven't yet.

If you do a search on hear, I'm sure someone has posted the proper bulb size for the '07 TL Type-S DRL's!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 AM
Be kind to us truckers !

KineticTypeS, here's a link for for the fog light bulb's you want, theye'r the plug-n-play, close to the HID type in color ! http://www.racinglab.com/nokya.html
Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
as for the breaks... is it lets say when you are stopped at a light and you ease off the break slightly you hear it kinda grind, thats the brembo grip its very sticky, you shouldn't do that though since it can glaze the rotors... if you ever get a squeek since you only have 3k miles you'd want to resurface the pads so you'd go like 15mph and break a few times till you come to a complete stop to rebed the breaks...
What you have described here can happen almost any time with an automatic, which I suspect is the transmission type both of you have. This can also occur with a manual when on a hill. It is simply a vibration due to not having enough pad pressure to hold the car.. if this is the sound being described.

As for "the brembo grip its very sticky", this is not the case. The pads used with our Brembo brake systems (I have an '04 manual) have a higher metal content than "standard" brake system pads, thus all of the dusting we see. Pads aren't sticky.

And bedding in pads on his new car should not be needed. It is better to follow the recommendations in the owner's manual which probably says to be gentle on them for 200-300 miles. If bedding in is actually done, you must drive the car at much higher speeds than 15 MPH and brake HARD 8 to ten times with no driving breaks or stopping in between the braking, other than getting back up to speed quickly to do this all over again. There are numerous write-ups about this process and I have done several of them. It is really a concentrated and involved process.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by KineticTypeS

Unless you already have HIDs for the fogs and DRLs, this would be a serious mod. The sockets would need changing and you will need to find someplace to mount the ballasts. Unless there is a good after-market kit out there for this, you may just want to consider different incandescent lamps for the fogs and DRLs.