Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Mounted Bike Racks

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trunk Mounted Bike Racks

I've been looking into purchasing a trunk mounted bike rack. Anyone here have one and if so, what are you opinions. Have you had any problems with it? Did it ruin the paint or dent the trunk lid or any other contact points between the rack and the car?
The two I am considering are the Saris Bones or Saris Guardian (both racks being either 2 or 3 bike capacity)
Any answers, opinions, reviews regarding this matter would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a Yakima. Got it last year for about $100. Holds 3 bikes. Haven't dared to put it on the TL yet. Used it on my Accord and never had any problems. It's got pretty thick padding on all parts that touch the car. We usually put drink koozies over the pedals just to be careful in case they come close to the car during the ride.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Suzuka Master

With any bike rack there is a risk of doing something to your car. If you are one of those people who spas's over a scratch I would say dont do it. Unless you use it constantly you should be ok. If you have it on constantly you have to worry about paint chafing. I would be more worried about scratching the car putting on and taking off bikes.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Team Nighthawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am an avid Mt. Biker and was considering purchasing an SUV with a hitch just for that purpose. I would recommend the Saris Bones. Its durable and can easily adapt to most cars like the TL, becareful if you have a spoiler and if you do I recommend you put a soft cloth towel around the strap where it may rub against the paint. Also take your time when putting the rack on and also cover the metal strap holders with some soft material. It's worth the extra effort to protect your cars finish.

Good Luck!
Old 06-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Whatever you do steer clear of the roof mounted things. UGLY. Be especially careful with those metal tabs that go under the trunk(varies by car and bike rack), thos things can pull the sheet metal if too much stress is put on em.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:43 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to bring up this old thread but I just did a search and haven't seen too much input on trunk mounted bike racks. For those who have used trunk mounted racks on the TL:

1. How long have you had one?
2. Has it damaged the paint or sheet metal in any way?
3. How many bikes do you carry on average?
4. Which brand do you own?
5. Any other inputs?

I want to get something simple to carry my bike. Trunk mount seem very low cost and flexible.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 PM
4th Gear

1. 2 weeks
2. scratch where the metal strap contacts the side of the trunk
3. 2 bikes
4. Yakima KingJoe2
Old 07-12-2007, 09:03 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Thule makes a pretty good trunk mount rack. So long as you keep your car relatively clean, and install the rack correctly, you shouldn't run into problems with scratches. The same goes for the roof mount racks.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:29 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent thread! I needed to know this!!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:34 AM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
anymore info/pics, I wouldn't mind getting one for bring my bike to and from school.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:49 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with the people above, as long as you put it on correctly and cover metal part with a soft cloth or something, you should be fine. My friend has a bike rack, not sure what kind, but it works ok and hasn't left any scratches
Old 07-13-2007, 05:58 PM
toTaL package

Get a quick release front wheel and put the bike in the trunk! :-D
Old 07-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cgrant
Get a quick release front wheel and put the bike in the trunk! :-D

Actually, I tried that and even with the front and rear wheel off the bike. I still can't get the thing into our awkwardly shaped trunk. I really wish our back seats went down.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:39 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Old 07-14-2007, 03:48 PM
toTaL package

Originally Posted by vector7777
Actually, I tried that and even with the front and rear wheel off the bike. I still can't get the thing into our awkwardly shaped trunk. I really wish our back seats went down.
Yeah the TL trunk is horrible in width ... the depth seems to be ok. I just got some 18" rims and a friend picked them up for me. He drives a 04 AV6 Coupe and 3 wheels with tires were able to fit in the trunk ... I could only fit 2 in my 06 TL trunk. Needless to say, he was joking me!

But to respond to this post before the MOD cuts me off ... I'd wrap the bike frame with a blanket and put it in the backseat ... bike racks are hideous!
Old 07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

I use a Saris Bones rear rack...

I don't leave it on- and I am as careful as possible... No problems so far.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cgrant
Yeah the TL trunk is horrible in width ... the depth seems to be ok. I just got some 18" rims and a friend picked them up for me. He drives a 04 AV6 Coupe and 3 wheels with tires were able to fit in the trunk ... I could only fit 2 in my 06 TL trunk. Needless to say, he was joking me!

But to respond to this post before the MOD cuts me off ... I'd wrap the bike frame with a blanket and put it in the backseat ... bike racks are hideous!

I've actually just been gently throwing the bike in the back seat with the front wheel off. Towels everywhere of course!

Thinking about getting a Saris Bones trunk rack since the reviews on AZ have all been positive. Either that or a biker girlfriend with a beater car.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Cruisin'

I use a "Hidden Hitch", that's the brand name with a Thule bike rack.

Stands clear of the trunk, so you can use it and it stops people getting too close.

And best if all, no scratches or dulling of the paintwork
Old 08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
cmd
Instructor

I also have a trunk mount but have yet to put it on the TL... and probably won't. The car is too new and too nice and there's too many ways for it to get a nice scratch that way.

Originally Posted by SpitfireMKV
I use a "Hidden Hitch", that's the brand name with a Thule bike rack.
Do you have a photo of how it looks on the TL? I'm considering the same.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Anytime you have something touching a painted surface you run the risk of scratches. Towels, rubber, what ever is touching the paint is going to move, thus leaving scratches. I have put a hitch on my car that is barley noticeable so I can use a bike rack that does not touch paint. I don't want an SUV, or a pick up truck, or a beater car. I see nothing wrong with using a TL to transport a bike.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HEK
!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:49 PM
2007 NBP TL

Originally Posted by subinf
Thule makes a pretty good trunk mount rack. So long as you keep your car relatively clean, and install the rack correctly, you shouldn't run into problems with scratches. The same goes for the roof mount racks.
speaking of roof racks...I saw a TL three days ago that had a roof rack with two bikes strapped to it. the tail lights tell me its an 04-06 model. it was going the opposite direction in traffic or else i would have stopped and asked where he got. Could this have been a 3rd party accessory, or is Acura hiding some of its parts.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
If I were to do something like this, I would look for some sortof mount that latches to the bottom of the car like a tow hitch.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
I got SO spoiled by my last car's rack that I can't bear doing anything that would touch the finish in any way. Perhaps a hitch mount would be the best approach as all reports I have heard from those that use the trunk or roof type (with feet) do all unanimously say it WILL scratch the car.

If you'll pardon the aside - I miss my Saab (built by Thule) rack. It was under $100 and plugged into receptacles in the car under the weather seals for the door. Solid as a rock and touched no painted surface in any way. Unfortunately it is very specific to 3 door 900's 94+ cars. Miss the rack, not the car so much.

Bear in mind a roof mounted fork-mount w/ tray will probably be the kindest to your bike if it has thin wall aluminum or carbon tubes or has a finish/decals you care about. Down tubes and top tubes on some bikes really don't like being clamped too hard.

If you've tried any Zaino on your bike you will be that obsessed about its paint too. No, not kidding...Z6 on an Orbea Onix is a wonderfull thing
Old 08-13-2007, 10:16 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
trunk racks suck!! you are asking for a scratch with the repetitive use of a trunk mount rack. i have had roof racks on the last three cars i owned/own including my precious TL. roof rack parts you can get after market. either thule (square bars) or yakima (round bars). i prefer yakima, unfortunately yakima had not spec'd the TL's roof line at the time i "clothed" my TL's roof. so i have a thule rack on my roof. just FYI....if you get a roof rack from the dealer...it'll cost you more and it's essentially a thule rack badged as an acura/honda.

advantage of a roof rack...one time placement...and depending on your tastes can make the car look more sporty or for those who don't like it...well...we're all entitled to our own opinion now aren't we??? as an avid cyclist, a roof rack or even a hitch rack would be the way to go over a trunk rack. the only disadvantage of a roof rack....gas mileage...the disadvantage of a hitch rack...car handles poorly with a load on the rear end (ie the car gets a little squirrely) and possibly gas mileage.

if you are really worried about your paint...go with a hitch rack. if you want a one time thing where the paint gets touched once while you own the car and you are an avid cyclist, go with a roof rack with upright mounts. if you are cheap and only ride every so often...trunk rack with the risk of scratches.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Terminex

Get a hitch rack

I put a hitch on mine and got a Saris Thelma.

(hard for me to do considering my pathfinder has a yakima on the roof, and a yakima on the hitch - but I am without the truck for a couple months while traveling) - can live without the truck, but NOT without my bikes:-)

You can get a hitch from several vendors. it is actually the same hitch as for the accord. it mounts on the rear tow hook, and then you put 2 bolts rhought the floor where the spare tire is. (obvipously remove the spare before drilling) the floor is REALLY thin, so any cordless drill can make these holes. Make sure to us a liberal amount of silicone around the bolts from the top & bottom to keep water & fumes out of the trunk.

Many bike shops will sell you the hitch / rack and install for free.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Cruisin'

Saris Bones

1. 1 Year
2. Has not damaged the paint on the top of the trunk or the bottom but the straps that go out to the side has chipped the paint on both sides. Very small but still, it’s a flaw.
3. Just one MTN bike
4. Saris Bones
5. Get some bungee cords and strap the front wheel and the pedals in place so it won’t hit the bumper. Also I always made sure I wiped down the trunk and waxed it before I strapped it down.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Trunks racks are fine, if you know how to install them properly. Just as someone said earlier, as soon as anything touches the paint, you run the risk of scrathes. And the risk of scratches is the same, whether you use a roof rack or a trunk rack. The scratches do not come from when you put the rack on, they are from putting it on a dirty car or not putting it on tight enough, allowing the rack to move around while on the car. So, either rack you put on, make sure you put it on a clean surface and make sure you tighten it so there is no movement. Then tighten it again with the bikes on there. I've seen guys with roof racks take the rack off their car after 2 years and the paint looked brand new where the pads were, but I've also seen the paint scratched to hell...back to my point that it all depends on installation.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Drifting

I will disconnect the front wheel and put in my back seat. I had a trunk mount on my old Saturn and did it screw up the paint, even with all my safety precautions.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Terminex

Ditto

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
trunk racks suck!! you are asking for a scratch with the repetitive use of a trunk mount rack. i have had roof racks on the last three cars i owned/own including my precious TL. roof rack parts you can get after market. either thule (square bars) or yakima (round bars). i prefer yakima, unfortunately yakima had not spec'd the TL's roof line at the time i "clothed" my TL's roof. so i have a thule rack on my roof. just FYI....if you get a roof rack from the dealer...it'll cost you more and it's essentially a thule rack badged as an acura/honda.

advantage of a roof rack...one time placement...and depending on your tastes can make the car look more sporty or for those who don't like it...well...we're all entitled to our own opinion now aren't we??? as an avid cyclist, a roof rack or even a hitch rack would be the way to go over a trunk rack. the only disadvantage of a roof rack....gas mileage...the disadvantage of a hitch rack...car handles poorly with a load on the rear end (ie the car gets a little squirrely) and possibly gas mileage.

if you are really worried about your paint...go with a hitch rack. if you want a one time thing where the paint gets touched once while you own the car and you are an avid cyclist, go with a roof rack with upright mounts. if you are cheap and only ride every so often...trunk rack with the risk of scratches.
I agree with just about every word spoken above.

The ONLY reason I went with the trunk rack is because my usage of the TL for carrying my bikes is minimal. I use the truck 6 days a week for transporting my bikes and the Roof rack is a must if you are riding often. The only other thing to watch out for on the roof rack is the garage when you have a bike on the roof. all of my friends (even shop employees) have all had at least 1 "incident" with the garage & a bike on the roof.