Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade-In Value for 2006 6MT Navi

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade-In Value for 2006 6MT Navi

After helping my father haggle for his '08 BMW 328i last week...I've been spending the past couple of days impulsively searching for my own. I've got my eye on a Titanium Silver 6-speed with sports package, heated power seats and iPod adapter. They're offering a pretty good price and BMW is offering 3.9% financing until the end of the month.

The only thing I'm worried about is my trade-in value. I have about 50,000 miles on my 2006 6MT with Navi (Anthracite/Ebony). I still have about $22,500 left on my loan.

All the internet appraisal sites are giving me different trade-in values. Edmunds valued my trade-in at $24,537. Nada gave me $24,925. KBB gave $19,085 (that low?!?!)

I also have all-around hybrid tints (35%) and a clear bra. Does that usually help or hurt appraisal values??

I'd be okay trading in anywhere between $24k and $25k. Does anybody know what my car might actually go for at the dealer? I'd hate to get my hopes up and then have to walk away. I'd also prefer not to waste a day driving from the Bay Area to Sacramento to get a CarMax quote to help me haggle a trade-in price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Also...if anybody thinks I need some sense knocked into me for my choice of trade...I'll be more than willing to entertain those thoughts as well...)
Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 AM
1st Gear

I've always thought if your going to buy a BMW or Benz buy one, not the little 3 series or CL250 that everyone drives around. Seems like an overpriced civic with a fancy interior. I'd keep the TL especially if your concerned of the trade in value it's big, nice and pretty quick for it's size. Just my
Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blazedachron
I've always thought if your going to buy a BMW or Benz buy one, not the little 3 series or CL250 that everyone drives around. Seems like an overpriced civic with a fancy interior. I'd keep the TL especially if your concerned of the trade in value it's big, nice and pretty quick for it's size. Just my
I agree. If you are going to get a Benz or Bimmer, why get a toy one? If you leave the TL for a 3-serie, it has to be the 335i!!
Old 01-06-2008, 05:06 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just asked this question not to long ago I was thinking of trading my 06 TL with 32xxx miles in for a CTS-V and what I was offered for trade in at the most was 25k. My TL is in mint condition and it has every option you could get. One thing the dealer did mention was that if my car was auto they could of gave me an xtra 1k cause its easier to get rid of. Dont know how true that is but anyhow, I hope that helps and just my cents my buddy has a 05 325 and he always complains how much my interior and overall car is better. Im not trying to talk u out of the trade but if thats what u really want go for it. I just want the LS6 that comes in the V but overall I think my car is just as good if not better than the Cadi. Try what I did get a new mod and see if that makes u want to keep your car, it worked for me something new on the car makes you appreciate what u already have and its alot cheaper. Good luck.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 AM
10th Gear

I must admit...I have a serious case of vehicle ADD. I go through phases every couple of months. I've previously checked out and crunched numbers for the new G35/G37, Benz C300/C350....and let's not talk about the month a felt like jumping ship and getting a Civic Hybrid.

This is the first time the numbers looked really good. My monthly payments might be able to drop by $50 or more dollars if I get $24-$25K on the trade-in. Insurance will also be comparable to what I'm paying now. (If these two weren't a factor...it would have been a 335i for sure!!!)

My reasoning is that I don't plan on keeping my current car until it dies. I'm also a high mileage driver (25000+ a year). I can't figure out when is the best time to switch, but I figure the numbers will only get worse from here. If I wait another year, I'm assuming the '09 TL model change will hurt my resale value. If I wait until my loan is paid off, I figure trying to get rid of a 130000+ mile car won't be easy either.

Also...predicting how my own vehicle ADD works...If the '09 TL (or even '09 TSX) intrigues me in anyway, trading an '08 BMW (which I'm getting close to invoice with 3.9% APR) would produce more favorable numbers than if I stuck with my '06. (Does this even make sense...or am I stretching a bit too far here??)

I am worried about BMW reliability (although I hear the 328i isn't as much a nightmare as the 335i). I'm also weary about giving up Navi/Bluetooth...but I figure a Garmin would solve that problem. The 3-series interior is okay at best...but the 6 speed with sport package is just a blast to drive! It would also fare better in San Francisco than my TL, which feels like a freakin boat to drive around. You wouldn't believe how many great parking spots I just couldn't fit in! And a FWD car with the storms this past weekend??

Ah! I just don't know what I should do!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:40 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Did you also compare what it takes to make that vehicle comparable to a STOCK TL above the base price? Big time difference (335i). Maybe not so big for 328i, but seems like a step down as far as creature comforts by getting that one. Plus it's a bit snug unless they have upgraded. I really tink any 3-series is a tighter fit than the TL. Does that really matter for you though?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:07 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW reliability is not an issue considering you seem to change cars once a year... They offer that 4 year maintnence and warrany plan.

Vehicle ADD is gonna leave you broke. Those numbers may look good, but they're not considering the loss you take at trade in and the inflated price you pay for a NEW vehicle...
Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by Kennedy
BMW reliability is not an issue considering you seem to change cars once a year... They offer that 4 year maintnence and warrany plan.

Vehicle ADD is gonna leave you broke. Those numbers may look good, but they're not considering the loss you take at trade in and the inflated price you pay for a NEW vehicle...
That's actually an excellent point Chris!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RG129
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Also...if anybody thinks I need some sense knocked into me for my choice of trade...I'll be more than willing to entertain those thoughts as well...)
Yaaaa... you probably need some sense knocked into you. From a financial standpoint the best decision you can make is to keep your cars much longer than a year or two. There will always be something newer, or better, or different, or whatever. Resist the temptation to keep changing cars. This is the best way to insure that you will not be as wealthy as you could be in the future. Believe it or not, it is ok to pay off a car and not have to make payments. You are already driving a great car, keep driving it.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kennedy

the 4 year warranty program is garbage..such a ad stunt its crazy...and if you think your not payin for the 10 oil changes and tire rotation..and other minor checkups your crazy...the 4 yr thing is so overrated its not even funny
Old 01-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by jeowen
the 4 year warranty program is garbage..such a ad stunt its crazy...and if you think your not payin for the 10 oil changes and tire rotation..and other minor checkups your crazy...the 4 yr thing is so overrated its not even funny
I do agree its built into the price of the car I mean how much do you really spend in the first 50k anyway?

However if you sell your car privately I think you would diffenently get enough to pay off your loan but I think like its been said this isnt a good money move and if possible you should stay with the TL.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

If you really want to know what you would get for a trade in value find someone that has an account or access to Galves. Most dealers in the U.S. use galves for all appraisals. I know this from working at a dealership years ago.

Galves Website