Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade 04 for 05

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trade 04 for 05

Well, just cant take it any more. I have one of the few "bad" TL's out threre and finally ddecided to try to get out of it. I have talked to Acura and here is the deal.

I have an 04 5AT Non Navi with 20k miles on it.
I want to trade for an 05 5AT Navi right off the truck.

My dealership has offered the exchange with $7200 including ttt. So thats out the door. considering $1500 extra for the Navi. I want to do the trade, but $$ is a factor. I am buying a new house and trying to sell my current house. I do not want a loan so I have to come up with the cash.

I guess I just need the experts opinion (You guys and girks) on whether or not this is as good a deal as I should get. I think it actually works out where they are giving me 28,500 for my TL. Seems fair considering the 20k miles on it.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

for $7200 exhanged for 1 year difference in model is quite alot. Navi is about $2000, so you are cutting it to $5000... Unless you really hate your 2004 TL problems, $5000 is alot to swallow. Are you rich?
Old 03-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thegabrielles
My dealership has offered the exchange with $7200 including ttt.
Keep in mind that the taxes you are paying are relatively low... (new car amount - 04 trade in amount) * sales tax rate.

Is your 04 that bad? Does the lemon law play into it at all? Are they just unable to fix your problems? Or are they just trying to get more money out of you? Maybe you need to call Acura Customer Care?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Cruisin'

I'd pass on it. You are losing a good amount of cash, and gaining very little.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Racer

The problems I am having with my TL are getting to be more an more numerous. I have the vibration issues, of course all the rattles, the leather is already looking old. I have had it in the dealership 5-6 times for vibrations and rattles and they have made every effort to fix it. I dont want it to be in the shop anymore nor do I believe a 30k car should be in the shop at all. So to answer your question, it is bad enough for me to exchange.

So on to the $$ part of it. TTT in Georgia amounts to about $1000, remeber $399 destination fees 7% tax on $6200, plus all the other bs they add in. The cost is definitley an issue, so thats my delima. Every time I drive the car I feel the vibrations and hear rattles. The benifit would be a brand new car, hopefully without the problems I am having. I bought mine 7 months ago as a Demo model for 31,500 So esentially it has cost me the 3k difference in trade. Plus I would be getting the one option I wish I had bought initially, NAVI.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Instructor

The problems I am having with my TL are getting to be more an more numerous. I have the vibration issues, of course all the rattles, the leather is already looking old. I have had it in the dealership 5-6 times for vibrations and rattles and they have made every effort to fix it. I dont want it to be in the shop anymore nor do I believe a 30k car should be in the shop at all. So to answer your question, it is bad enough for me to exchange.

So on to the $$ part of it. TTT in Georgia amounts to about $1000, remeber $399 destination fees 7% tax on $6200, plus all the other bs they add in. The cost is definitley an issue, so thats my delima. Every time I drive the car I feel the vibrations and hear rattles. The benifit would be a brand new car, hopefully without the problems I am having. I bought mine 7 months ago as a Demo model for 31,500 So esentially it has cost me the 3k difference in trade. Plus I would be getting the one option I wish I had bought initially, NAVI.
Run an ad in the AJC and sell it to an individual. You will definitely get more for it than you will for a dealer. I sold my wifes Honda Odyssey in the AJC and got 23,800. The dealer was only going to give me 17,500 and it was spotless.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Racer

Actually thought about that. I found a TL on the Acura lot 04 with a mere 9K on it and it they were asking 31k for it. Maybe I could get a little more if I sold it individually, but Acura is also coming off the price of the 05 also, which is rare around these parts. Also, I woulkd have to pay Taxes on the whole cost of the new TL (35.5K x 7% = $2485) That would not make up the difference.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Are you working with Acura Carland?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:34 AM
Banned

Hmmm. Now that I know that your '04 started as a demo, the deal seems to me to be pretty fair. If you can swing it and it makes you happy I would go for it.

My '05 has no rattles and no vibrations. Very sweet. To be happy with your wheels is priceless.

My
Old 03-16-2005, 09:35 AM
Racer

Yes I am ( using Acura Carland), they have been great in trying to fix the problems with my car and I bought it there so I will continue to use them if I can, plus the next closest Acura dealership is not very close.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CFIMIKE
Hmmm. Now that I know that your '04 started as a demo, the deal seems to me to be pretty fair. If you can swing it and it makes you happy I would go for it.

My '05 has no rattles and no vibrations. Very sweet. To be happy with your wheels is priceless.

My
That is kinda my thought as well, just hate to spnd every dime I have to be happy with it.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

[QUOTE=thegabrielles]I bought mine 7 months ago as a Demo model for 31,500 [QUOTE]

Maybe that is a part of your problems. I'm sure it was driven like shit, hard fast...etc....like most of us do in a test drive. It's possible that too much stress was put on the car too early.

It is a lot of money. Your essensially paying 38700 (31500 + 7200) for the 05 (yes you did get to use the 04 for 7 months though)
Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
35.5k?????????????????????? too much! people are buying navs for 33k! + TTT
Old 03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

(35.5K x 7% = $2485)
After reading the above which comes out to 38k, I'd say its a good deal then considering my previous # of 38700.

I'm not used to paying MSRP up here.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:47 AM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All in all not a bad deal. Considering that you loose thousands the minute you sign the final papers and all the problems that you are having I would go for it. My 05 has been tight with no real problems to speak of.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Racer

The way I see it, it should be able to handle being run hard, besides I am sure they have don nothing to it that I have not done. (or most of us on here)
So its math time....
34.7k-28,5= 6.2K
So I am getting the new TL for 34.7k, 1500 of that is NAVI so a non navi car would be around 33.2K. You guys are getting in Navi cars for 33k????? That would be nice!! Acura around here seems to be especially proud of their Navi cars. In fact I would have to order the 05 if I do it. I have looked at edmonds , KBB and have seen the invoices but have not heard of that around here. But maybe I can be enlightened...AnyonE?? 33k in Atlanta??
Old 03-16-2005, 10:11 AM
Instructor

you might check with nally acura in marietta, they will do navi for $34k even, maybe lower. I still didn't like the price but after 45mins of negotiation they finally came up $900 more on my trade so I went for it. They said they can make the trade more or the car less, so in theory it would have been $33,100.

Depending on where you are you might want to check it out.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 AM
Racer

Actually work across the street from Nally, that makes a 50 mile one way comute. Fortunately the TL is the wifes so she only has a 2 mile comute. I think the trade value they are giving me is excellant, but your right, maybe I will check NAlly.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:13 AM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually work across the street from Nally, that makes a 50 mile one way comute. Fortunately the TL is the wifes so she only has a 2 mile comute. I think the trade value they are giving me is excellant, but your right, maybe I will check NAlly.
If it doesn't work out with Nally then try Ed Voyles.

I ordered my from Ed Voyles and I got a great deal from them. Maybe you should talk to them. Ask for Michael Iscaro and I had no problem dealing with him since he is the internet manager.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:24 AM
6th Gear

Dear Gabrielles,

You are still fighting the battle with the 2004 TL. I finally got my 2004 TL fixed. I traded it for a 05 BMW 330. It is a great car. NO RATTLES....NO VIBRATION. Maybe I will return to Acura in the future, but I am burnt for now. Good Luck.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Racer

Just called both dealerships and they are woirking prices, one will call back in a couple of hours, the other said not until tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Racer

I looked at the BMW, but it just does not have the room that the TL has. I need the room. Also, I just dont like some of the controls. Not knocking it, its just not for me. I looked at all the competitors and there just is not a comjparable car for the price that looks as good as the zTL. Yeah the Avalon has the size, but its not in the same category as the TL. The G35 is close but there just is not the back seat/ trunk room. I looked at Lexus and well I would need a LOT more money to get into a comparable GS. I have spent a lot of time on this and the TL is deinitely the best "bang for your buck" I rmember when bang for your buck was a mustang LX 5.0L fpr 12ki...times have changed for me. Now its a family car for 35k..
Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 AM
Racer

By the way...glaad to hear you are happy with your car. Thats all that matters anyway.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
the gabrielles, if you are that dissatisfied with your car, I'd probably take the deal. As someone else above said, "to be happy with your wheels is priceless". The best part is that the new car is not a demo!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Well, just cant take it any more. I have one of the few "bad" TL's out threre and finally ddecided to try to get out of it. I have talked to Acura and here is the deal.

I have an 04 5AT Non Navi with 20k miles on it.
I want to trade for an 05 5AT Navi right off the truck.

My dealership has offered the exchange with $7200 including ttt. So thats out the door. considering $1500 extra for the Navi. I want to do the trade, but $$ is a factor. I am buying a new house and trying to sell my current house. I do not want a loan so I have to come up with the cash.

I guess I just need the experts opinion (You guys and girks) on whether or not this is as good a deal as I should get. I think it actually works out where they are giving me 28,500 for my TL. Seems fair considering the 20k miles on it.
Keep in mind that even if you do get the 05 TL there is no way to guarantee that you still won't have any rattles, leather issues, or vibrations.

The question needs to be asked if you still get the rattles, have leather issues, (and/or) vibrations are you will to live with what? If not you may need to think about this trade...

Just my
Old 03-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Racer

I do have some reservations about the possibility of these items happening on the new car, but I am hoping I just have one of the very few bad ones.
Just got a call back from ed voyles...they can not even get close to Carland. They are at around $7200 plus ttt which puts the trade at about $8300. That I can not do.

Anyway, thanks for the inputs. Hopefully I will get a call back from carland in the next couple of days saying they can get me what I want.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:30 PM
The Flipster

Sell your car yourself. You are losing to much money on a trade.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flippie
Sell your car yourself. You are losing to much money on a trade.
no, he isn't doing bad on the trade. Be aware that in GA he won't pay sales tax on the trade amount, so that will save him $2k right there.

Others have had a good point, what if the new one has issues too???

For way less than the the $7k+ you are looking at spending you could get new leather put on the seats and/or build up the seat with new foam and new leather. Or just by a '05 seat??
Old 03-16-2005, 03:17 PM
10th Gear

El
I'm in the same predicament right now. I have an 04 with the 50/60 vibration problems, and I'm currently in arbritration process with the BBB and Acura.

I was thinking that if I was to lose my case, I would want to trade in the 04 and buy a vibration free 05, (hopefully my 05 doesn't vibrate).

I too bought my 04 from Carland, and I wasn't so lucky with the service there as you were. It all started when I received a survey from Carland, and I slammed their service. I slammed their service because the service techs first said that the car had no problem, then later on, they went on to state the the vibration I felt was "normal". I stated in the survey that the techs were incompetent and their knowledge on cars was limited, if they felt this vibration is normal. The next time I went back asking about fixes for the 50/60 vibration issue, the Service Manager told me that he does'nt even want to work on my car, because of the things that I had to say in the survey. He said he couldn't deal with me anymore, and told me to call the District Service Manager, which I did. I'm in arbritation now.

Anyway, I could ramble on, but just want you to know that I'm thinking along your lines. I love the car, but can't keep this one, no matter what. No after spending that kind of money. I want a vibration free TL. I'm even willing to put up with the butt prints, just to get one that's vibration free.

BB
Old 03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigBokey
El
I'm in the same predicament right now. I have an 04 with the 50/60 vibration problems, and I'm currently in arbritration process with the BBB and Acura.

I was thinking that if I was to lose my case, I would want to trade in the 04 and buy a vibration free 05, (hopefully my 05 doesn't vibrate).

I too bought my 04 from Carland, and I wasn't so lucky with the service there as you were. It all started when I received a survey from Carland, and I slammed their service. I slammed their service because the service techs first said that the car had no problem, then later on, they went on to state the the vibration I felt was "normal". I stated in the survey that the techs were incompetent and their knowledge on cars was limited, if they felt this vibration is normal. The next time I went back asking about fixes for the 50/60 vibration issue, the Service Manager told me that he does'nt even want to work on my car, because of the things that I had to say in the survey. He said he couldn't deal with me anymore, and told me to call the District Service Manager, which I did. I'm in arbritation now.

Anyway, I could ramble on, but just want you to know that I'm thinking along your lines. I love the car, but can't keep this one, no matter what. No after spending that kind of money. I want a vibration free TL. I'm even willing to put up with the butt prints, just to get one that's vibration free.

BB
I wish you well in your arbitration process. If you don't win, though, why would you want to reward Acura with another purchase, given the crappy service and the fact that they didn't step up to the plate and do the right thing (or you wouldn't be in arbitration)? Do they deserve to get more of your hard-earned money?

After my experience with Client Disservices over a year ago, I was finished with Acura. It's too bad, because I'd really enjoy a vibration-free 6MT TL, but it's not gonna happen.

Just my opinion, but I had to share it.

Best of luck to you!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Racer

Its hard to believe after the service I have recieved from Acura Carland that anyone would have that much of a problem. I hate it for you. Good luck. I called the Acura customer no-service # and found out that carland has requested $2000 from Acura to help get me into a new car. They did not ask they just did it. To me they are fighting the fight for me. Now I guess we will see over the next few days what the district managers response is.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:54 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

I do have some reservations about the possibility of these items happening on the new car, but I am hoping I just have one of the very few bad ones.
Just got a call back from ed voyles...they can not even get close to Carland. They are at around $7200 plus ttt which puts the trade at about $8300. That I can not do.

Anyway, thanks for the inputs. Hopefully I will get a call back from carland in the next couple of days saying they can get me what I want.
Who called your back? Michael Iscaro??
Old 03-16-2005, 04:55 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Its hard to believe after the service I have recieved from Acura Carland that anyone would have that much of a problem. I hate it for you. Good luck. I called the Acura customer no-service # and found out that carland has requested $2000 from Acura to help get me into a new car. They did not ask they just did it. To me they are fighting the fight for me. Now I guess we will see over the next few days what the district managers response is.
Alrighty...nevermind, i guess you are going with Acura Carland....sorry I couldn't be more helpful.....good luck...
Old 03-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TL1999
Who called your back? Michael Iscaro??
Yes Mike called back, he said I was already getting a great deal, if I can get Acura to knock off $2k I will be in good shape. Just wondering if Carland will show me an additional $2k if it gets approved. Of course since I know about it now I guess they will have to.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:12 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
I think you are making a good decision and got a reasonable deal. I strongly suggest that you require and take a long, long test drive in the 05. Do not accept the car until you are satisfied that it is to your standards.

I am very happy with my 05 @ 5500 miles, no rattles, squeeks or anything. There might be a slight vibration that just doesn't bother me enough to worry about.

On the other issue about your finances, you may want to wait on the car. Depending on your credit situation you might need to hold on to the cash. Only you and your loan officer can answer that one.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:24 PM
Racer

A Long test drive is defintely going to happen. On the financial part of it, I dont have a loan on the 04, well I have one from my father in law. But if I can not pay cash for the car then we can not do it. So I have a budget that I can not bust, even by a couple hundred. Hopefully Acura will be able to get into my budget, otherwise my TL will continue to depreciate and I will be worse off a year from now. I already have a trip planned for next month where the TL will get 1500 miles put on it, and the following month another 3k so the sooner the better. Of course CArland already nows about the miles I will be putting on it so hopefully things will progress quickly once a decision is made.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

yah, too much, considering the difference is 5k. That JD power and associates thing says at 5 years you should get 50%. So at one year you should be about 3200 for the difference.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Racer

The first year always has the highest depreciation, also I have put 20k miles on it so it is already a high mileage car.
Old 03-18-2005, 12:53 PM
Racer

bump
Old 03-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Racer

well, we are now at $6600 Out the door, still higher than I need to spend, I got the $2000 from Acura at least thats what the dealership says, Acura says it still is not approved. I did all the math and since the asking price is 35,700 right now minus the 2K, thats 33700. with 6600 out the door (1k is TTT) that puts my trade at 28,200, That means I lose about 3k for 7 months and 12k miles. It seams Carland put me in for the 2k back on 10Mar, so they said they were already factoring it in. Even though Acura Corp says it has not been approved. So my delima stands...so close but yet so far away. If I could talk them into the Navi for invoice $1500, then I could make it, but they are not wanting to bidge on it. I dont think anyone else will come close to the trade at 28,200 and in asking around I would be correct. So now what?

Quick Reply: Trade 04 for 05