Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL vs. TSX Test Drive: What a Surprise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL vs. TSX Test Drive: What a Surprise!

I had been planning for months to get a TSX. But then I figured out that I could afford to get a TL if I wanted. I know I liked the looks of the TL a lot, and definitely more than that of the TSX. I also read all this nice feedback about the TL via AZ, leading me to believe that it was a way better car with a superior ride. So I had just about changed my mind and was about to buy the TL. But, of course, I had to test drive it for myself.

It was definitely roomier than the TSX and provided a much more elegant feel in the interior. But my main focus was the ride. So off we went. Immediately, as expected, the engine was quicker to respond on acceleration than the TSX. The power of the V6 was noticeable, but not vastly superior to the TSX, as I would have believed.

I noticed that the TL felt a lot heavier than the TSX. I also expected the ride to be very smooth from the TL'er posts. But it wasn't. I distinctly felt all the bumps on the road. I tried to convince myself it was still smoother than the TSX. However, when I commented out loud about the bumpiness, the saleman said quite simply, "It's a performance car," essentially affirming it! Well, the ride was suppose to be the kicker for me to jump to the TL camp. But after that, I wasn't sure...

So I asked if I could test drive the TSX again. The accerlation felt fine, not that bad of a lag as I had thought from my previous TSX test drive. But the big surprise: the ride felt smoother than the TL! I was wondering if I were imagining things. But as I thought about it honestly, the TSX just felt better on the road. I looked for every manhole cover and pavement bump I could run over. I couldn't believe it, but the TSX absorbed them better. After that ride, I was happily back on the TSX side of fence, thoroughly convinced I needed to get this car. So I bought it last Tues., knowing for me I made the best choice.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm surprised about your comments on the TL's ride compared to the TSX, but I guess some people are more likely to feel a rough ride. It does feel a lot heavier than the TSX even though the weight difference is really not that much. The TSX is frequently described as "tossable", and the TL is definitely not that.

Congrats on the TSX, it's a great car with a lot of potential mods!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:03 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
The reason I chose TL over TSX is b/c my size. Being 6'2" TSX is just a little too small for me.

Another reason being my dealership had a lot of TL's but only 1 TSX on the lot, so they are more willing to deal on the TL.

I did test drive the TSX but I did not feel TSX has more compliant ride than the TL. IMO TSX definitely handles better though.

Either way congrats on the TSX purchase!!
Old 02-05-2006, 07:11 AM
Advanced

Yeefuchew,
Next time you go on a test drive at the dealership, bring a tire pressure gauge. I have taken many test drives and was amazed at the poor ride (hard, harsh etc.). Sure enough break out a tire pressure gauge and they are set way too high. This would account for the difference in ride you experienced. I have an A-Spec with the 18s and suspension and find it to ride great. I found the TSX to ride more choppy and not as smooth. It is a nice car but the TL has a longer wheelbase and stock a pretty compliant suspension.

Mark
Old 02-05-2006, 09:37 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

After having several loaner TSXs I can say that there is truly a better road feel to the TSX, but to go with that feel you do compromise the comfortable ride that the TL offers. I thought, interior wise, with comfort in mind, the TL was far better. I felt the TSX was fun to drive. (Hey, it was a loaner, so I did push the envelope a bit, as I did with the TL loaners I have had). Anyways, I'm hoping the A-spec suspension will cure that handling issue along with the other spring time improvements and I'll be set.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:10 AM
18,000mi. 29000km

just compare wheelbase... first thing u can do
Old 02-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yeefuchew
I had been planning for months to get a TSX. But then I figured out that I could afford to get a TL if I wanted. I know I liked the looks of the TL a lot, and definitely more than that of the TSX. I also read all this nice feedback about the TL via AZ, leading me to believe that it was a way better car with a superior ride. So I had just about changed my mind and was about to buy the TL. But, of course, I had to test drive it for myself.

It was definitely roomier than the TSX and provided a much more elegant feel in the interior. But my main focus was the ride. So off we went. Immediately, as expected, the engine was quicker to respond on acceleration than the TSX. The power of the V6 was noticeable, but not vastly superior to the TSX, as I would have believed.

I noticed that the TL felt a lot heavier than the TSX. I also expected the ride to be very smooth from the TL'er posts. But it wasn't. I distinctly felt all the bumps on the road. I tried to convince myself it was still smoother than the TSX. However, when I commented out loud about the bumpiness, the saleman said quite simply, "It's a performance car," essentially affirming it! Well, the ride was suppose to be the kicker for me to jump to the TL camp. But after that, I wasn't sure...

So I asked if I could test drive the TSX again. The accerlation felt fine, not that bad of a lag as I had thought from my previous TSX test drive. But the big surprise: the ride felt smoother than the TL! I was wondering if I were imagining things. But as I thought about it honestly, the TSX just felt better on the road. I looked for every manhole cover and pavement bump I could run over. I couldn't believe it, but the TSX absorbed them better. After that ride, I was happily back on the TSX side of fence, thoroughly convinced I needed to get this car. So I bought it last Tues., knowing for me I made the best choice.

No, you are exactly right, the TL ride can be rough on un-even surfaces. Acura engineers were on cracks when they designed the car. They should have
softtened the suspension or put in a suspension switch. Acura engineers were imagining that customers would be driving the TL only at Indy 500 speedways.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy
No, you are exactly right, the TL ride can be rough on un-even surfaces. Acura engineers were on cracks when they designed the car. They should have
softtened the suspension or put in a suspension switch. Acura engineers were imagining that customers would be driving the TL only at Indy 500 speedways.
That's odd. I found the stock TL's ride relatively plush already, wallowing even. I guess it's all pretty subjective.

On a related note, I read some of these comments and I often think that there's a lack of effort in differentiating between terms like "ride", "stiffness", "harshness", and "handling". It gets somewhat confusing at times when trying to decipher what the poster actually meant.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
My father has a 2004 TSX and it's a very enjoyable car to drive, even though he bought the automatic (because my mother is uncomfortable driving a manual). His primary reason for choosing the TSX was that he has a slightly narrow parking space at his office and the TL wouldn't fit very well. Front passenger seat feels a little small to me when I ride in it, but it's not horrible. My only real beef with the TSX is that the sides look very featureless. Makes me appreciate just what the groove does for the TL.

Still, the TSX is a nice car. I suppose what's telling is that of their three cars (the TSX, a 1996 Volvo 850, and a 1999 Acura 3.5RL), they opted to take the TSX on a recent trip to Florida via the AutoTrain even though in theory the other two cars would usually be considered the better long-distance cruising vehicles. Basically they figured the TSX would be more fun.

---------------
Old 02-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Cruisin'

I'm really not sure where the myth started that the TSX has better handling than the TL. This simply is not true. The TL is superior in horsepower, 0 to 60, 1/4 Mile, top speed, braking, skidpad, and slalom. I don't doubt that the TSX has a softer ride based on the performance data. The fact that the TL is heavier yet still out performs the TSX in skidpad and slalom testing would certainly indicate that the suspension may be more firm.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

There is a significant quantity of us who feel the stock suspension should have been stiffer. The designers weren't on crack - they just can please everyone (you in this case).
Old 02-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When we had a TSX loaner my wife said it was sharp on the steering... I dont recall anything about it except the looks of it.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
My '05 feels Honda firm to me. Harsh on some surfaces but for the most part its composed and quiet.

I didnt want an ES300
Old 02-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
my is that the stock TL suspension is a mite soft, with uncommunicative steering. The A-Spec suspension fixed that in a hurry! Like I said above, some people are more sensitive. No big deal, every person is different.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

damn i wanted an Omar Bradley avatar guess i gotta be more imaginative
Old 02-05-2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by Phesto
damn i wanted an Omar Bradley avatar guess i gotta be more imaginative

Mine is Patton (played by George C Scott)

You can have a Bradley icon still
Old 02-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tsx is better then the TL, and the civic is even better then the tsx!
Old 02-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Intermediate

I had my TSX for over a year and i sold it about a month ago and got my self a TL and their is no way tsx is better then tl in anything in my opinion. TSX is hard on the road to and its not softer then tl and plus the road noise inside the tsx is allot louder then tl and the lag on the tsx if crazy if you have the auto like i did it takes forever to get up to speed. GET THE TL, trust me u wont regretted.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Pro

I fell in love with the TSX when I had enough with my RSX-S. Last summer I did a lot of research on the TSX. I was planning to buy the A-Spec package for the whole car because I knew I can afford it. So on a hot summer day here in Florida, I went to drive a TSX. I wanted to drive the 6 speed. Luckily me and the salesman found one in the back that just arrived. I drove it on the highway and I was very impressed. The only thing I did not like was the 200hp. It accelerates fairly quickly, but when you need to pass on the highway, it just doesn't give me enough power. Handling was a plus, and the comfort was great. I was very interested and waited another month.

So I came back a month later in July 05. I had a different salesman and I drove the TSX 6-speed again and was loving it. When we came back after the test drive, I was curious and checked out the TL's. There was a 6 speed TL and I ask if I can drive it. So I test drove the TL and this car blows TSX out of the water. Car is so much quieter and has way more power and torque. Of course what can you expect when it's about $6k more. Anyways, I then stuck with the TL and see if I can afford it. After a couple of more test drives with the TSX (manual) and TL (manual) during the time between July and August I decided to get the TL. Although the TL is heavier, and doesn't handle as good as the TSX, I picked the TL for the more comfort and ride. The design looks better and there is plenty of power which I like. I'm glad I checked out the TL even though I thought it was out of my price range (actually wasn't) and I still love it!! That is just a little story about my TL.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

I have an opposite experience. I originally went to the dealer to get the TSX. After driving the TL, I was in love and I took the TL instead. Since then Ive had two TSX loaners and Im SO glad I got the TL. TSX just feels CHEAP and its SO much louder inside. Even before I had the ASPEC suspension installed on my TL, I preferred it TONS over the TSX. I hate the TSX interior too.

Oh well.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:19 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Ahh the old battle of a tight sport suspension or a soft plush suspension. Ride vs Performance. This is why some people prefer lexus/mercedes and some prefer BMW's/TL's, etc.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

But I have to say, if they would have had an Artic Blue TSX with Navi on the lot, I would be driving the TSX right now. No one around here has the Artic blue TSX and EVERYONE has a Silver, black or anthracite TL.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:19 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Every loaner I've ever had from an Acura dealer has been a TSX. It happens to have superior handling in tight situations as well as very acceptable acceleration. I might have actually considered one if I could have gotten it with all the same luxury features as the TL. The gas mileage is not much less than the TL's however and not what I'd expect from a 4 cylinder engine.

With none of the rattles, clicks, ticks, or pops of my TL's interior.

It's the Accord throughout the rest of the world outside North America. In fact, I saw the Asian version on a trip to HongKong in late '04. It seemed like a basic car without little 'niceities' like steering wheel audio controls

BEST OF ALL, AND IT'S BUILT IN JAPAN !!!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TSX rides a little better than the TL due to its size and weight but IMO the price of the TSX compared to the TL doesn't do it for me. You get more for your money with the TL..
Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
The TSX is a very good car, and mainly because of its exceptional DNA. Just think, this is the same car that forms the basis for the Accord Euro R, a very well-respected sports sedans in parts of the world where cars with big displacement engines are taxed heavily. Check out some of these photos:

And it pumps out 220 horses at that. There's also a Mugen version of that with even more goodies and more horsepower.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:11 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by SPIN
I'm really not sure where the myth started that the TSX has better handling than the TL. This simply is not true. The TL is superior in horsepower, 0 to 60, 1/4 Mile, top speed, braking, skidpad, and slalom. I don't doubt that the TSX has a softer ride based on the performance data. The fact that the TL is heavier yet still out performs the TSX in skidpad and slalom testing would certainly indicate that the suspension may be more firm.
I was wondering when someone was going to point this out. The TSX simply feels more nimble, it's actually not up to par with the TL. Sorry TSX owners - it's a great little car but it's no TL.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Tire pressure at dealerships

I agree always check the tire pressure when TEST driving a new acura. When I bought my 2004 RL, I knew the car was what I wanted. I didn't test drive it, just told them to have it ready to go in an hour....so when I got home, I said to myself, its riding a bit harsh.....so I checked the pressure and sure enough it was at 45 lbs each tire ! Shoud not exceed 30 psi ! HELLO ! Case solved. Rides like it on rails now........
Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Instructor

I bought a TL but received a TSX loaner car when I went to the the dealer for service. In my opinion the TL is a roomier and faster car. The TSX just did not have enough pep for me. It seemed slow off the line and did not performance up to my standards. They are both quality cars and it is up to the driver to choose which one fits them best, as for the ride mine is very bumpy because I lowered my car, but before I lowered it I remember it not being as smooth as my Lexus, but the ride was not very rough.