Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tl vs. New CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 09:24 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tl vs. New CTS-V

OK, a guy in my neighborhood apparently has one of the new CTS-V's. I say apparently because it was parked at the golf club and when I said "Hey, now THAT's new", someone replied Oh yea, that's XYZ's new car... It's almost identical to my TL. Both are black on plack. I like his "stock" wheels better than mine. I like the "mesh" (ala Jaguar R-type) work they did on the grill and fog light area. In short, it's quite a handsome car. Now for the brass tax... The next time I see him leaving the parking lot do I just waive? or pursue? Granted if we did "run" it would be a safe jont most likely keeping below 80. Can the TL keep up? Previously I had heard rumors of the new CTS-V being an "M" killer. If that is truely the case, I would expect it to have over 350HP and simply KILL my little TL. I STILL can't STAND that monolithic pillar in the center of the dash. GM got the exterior right but looking at that UGLY center console everyday would have made me puke!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:28 PM
10th Gear

Its all business....

Engine is a 5.7L LS6 V8 OHV (400 hp@ 6000 rpm, 395 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm)
Old 04-05-2004, 09:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Answer: Just waive! Just went to the site. 400HP and zero to 60 in 4.6. I guess I just answered my own question. EOM
tgt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ndabunka
OK, a guy in my neighborhood apparently has one of the new CTS-V's. I say apparently because it was parked at the golf club and when I said "Hey, now THAT's new", someone replied Oh yea, that's XYZ's new car... It's almost identical to my TL. Both are black on plack. I like his "stock" wheels better than mine. I like the "mesh" (ala Jaguar R-type) work they did on the grill and fog light area. In short, it's quite a handsome car. Now for the brass tax... The next time I see him leaving the parking lot do I just waive? or pursue? Granted if we did "run" it would be a safe jont most likely keeping below 80. Can the TL keep up? Previously I had heard rumors of the new CTS-V being an "M" killer. If that is truely the case, I would expect it to have over 350HP and simply KILL my little TL. I STILL can't STAND that monolithic pillar in the center of the dash. GM got the exterior right but looking at that UGLY center console everyday would have made me puke!
'Kill' would be an understatement. It's got 400hp and close to 400 lb/ft of torque. Just admire and wave. In a few years I'd like to pick one up 'gently used' if there is such a thing.

-Travis
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Time to go ge the new Brabus K8 out I guess...
Old 04-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Instructor

In the Bay Area, California the auto dealers are asking $10K over sticker for the CTS-V

At that price, there are a lot of better alternatives.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:36 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I dunno. The E55 is a little faster but it's $79K. My brother's works with a GM dealer and he said that if I wanted one of the CTS-V's, he could get it for me at cost PLUS a few thou (provided I don't simply turn around and sell it). But he also advised me against buying one because that block is the same one that they used in other caddy's and had a TREMENDOUS number of problems with it. May want to wait this one out for a while...
Old 04-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D4SSWME
In the Bay Area, California the auto dealers are asking $10K over sticker for the CTS-V

At that price, there are a lot of better alternatives.
That's no way to rebuild a customer base.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Instructor

I dunno. The E55 is a little faster but it's $79K. My brother's works with a GM dealer and he said that if I wanted one of the CTS-V's, he could get it for me at cost PLUS a few thou (provided I don't simply turn around and sell it). But he also advised me against buying one because that block is the same one that they used in other caddy's and had a TREMENDOUS number of problems with it. May want to wait this one out for a while...

Your brother might wanna check his facts, the CTSV has the Corvette Z06 engine in it, it is NOT shared with any other Caddy.

As far as performance these are designed to compete with M cars and generally do based on the numbers. BTW the rags haven't been able to get 0-60 in the 4s, more like 5.0-5.2, some have determined the 4.6 is possible by power shifting, where almost all the magazines lift shift in performance runs.

Vandy
Old 04-05-2004, 10:30 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by savageTL
Your brother might wanna check his facts, the CTSV has the Corvette Z06 engine in it, it is NOT shared with any other Caddy.

As far as performance these are designed to compete with M cars and generally do based on the numbers. BTW the rags haven't been able to get 0-60 in the 4s, more like 5.0-5.2, some have determined the 4.6 is possible by power shifting, where almost all the magazines lift shift in performance runs.

Vandy
I thought they couldn't get the 4.6 because the rear would hop like crazy. Its more of a traction issue with the insane amount of torque (maybe should have made it AWD). On the highway, the CTS-V would literally put bus-lengths on anything in the TL class. I would still take an M3 though...
Old 04-05-2004, 10:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
First: Go to the eye doctor!

It's almost identical to my TL....
You need to get your glasses checked, IMHO. The Cad looks like a brick to me.

Originally Posted by ndbunka
.....or pursue?
Don't EVEN go there. It will eat you for lunch and then spit out the bones. It has a 'vette engine and a 6 speed manual. It is a hot performer and RWD.

It's also $49,000 to start. With the $17,000 you saved on the TL, buy a Honda Goldwing and then pursue him.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
I thought they couldn't get the 4.6 because the rear would hop like crazy. Its more of a traction issue with the insane amount of torque (maybe should have made it AWD). On the highway, the CTS-V would literally put bus-lengths on anything in the TL class. I would still take an M3 though...

You are correct, they reported huge wheelhop (which you probably know is terrible for a drive train), however they "tried" to justify the 4.6 by pointing out power shifting would have gottten their 5.x closer to or at the 4.6. Assuming they tried different launch variations (I am sure they did given it has been in more than one magazine) the wheel hop is inherent with the design and so giving GM the benefit of the doubt and assume the 4.6 is possible via power shifts. I agree with the M3 comment, I would choose the E46 M also, oh yeah I did.... :diablotin

Vandy
Old 04-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Just buy a Vette, They're about the same price and the Vette looks a hell of a lot better than that Built by Lego styling of the CTS.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:46 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
look at the interior.. ICK

the vents look like a 1993 chevy lumina's vents

Lots of cheap ABS plastic.. atleast the steering wheel is 3-spoke I guess.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Team Anthracite Chairman

I don't understand how you can compare the TL to the CTS-V...it would be more plausible to compare it with the CTS. After you're done purchasing your CTS-V for 10K over and taxes, you'll have enough to buy 2 TL's. It might be more realistic to compare the CTS-V with say the A-SPEC TL...300HP..etc..but still, that's not even a production car and more concept. It's pretty tough to compare two cars when there's a 20-30K difference in price.