Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL-S versus A-Spec Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 12:32 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Post TL-S versus A-Spec Comparison

I was in getting a routine service yesterday and passed the time waiting by test driving a TL-S in Auto. First thing I notice is the upgraded interior with the faux carbon fiber inserts is nicer than mine. The leather is better and the seats are a huge improvement. They are very comfortable and the improved side bolsters are great. The new steering wheel is a nice 3-spoke but an even trade for my A-Spec steering wheel imo. The car has a bit more get-up-and-go than mine off the line (not a huge difference) and a somewhat smoother ride but it feels somewhere in between my A-Spec and the stock TL in terms of cornering and body roll. Granted I have better (summer) tires on my car. I talked to the sales guy and he talked with service and the TL-S suspension is not the same as A-Spec. They changed it to improve ride quality. They have also done something to lessen torque steer. It has noticeably less than my A-Spec. In any event I got back in my car and felt at home and happy with what I got. I think I'll wait for the complete redesign in a few years. Here's hoping for 300+ HP/Torque and SH-AWD! And one last thing...with the positive changes in the TL I can't for the life of me figure out why anybody would pony up for an RL (an ugly duckling compared to the TL) at this point even with SH-AWD.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
the RL is still and upgrade even though it is not as agressive in looks as the TL. beinf an 04 TL owner, i;m also going to wait until the 09 TL comes out with the new engine and SH-AWD
Old 11-25-2006, 01:08 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by SBTL
And one last thing...with the positive changes in the TL I can't for the life of me figure out why anybody would pony up for an RL (an ugly duckling compared to the TL) at this point even with SH-AWD.
Ask all the people who have gotten out of their TLs and gone into an RL.

Sit in one and drive one.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:56 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd take my 06 a-spec over an 07 type-s with no regrets. i haven't once thought about upgrading, other than to a 07 G35 or 335i
Old 11-26-2006, 02:56 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Originally Posted by ding069
i'd take my 06 a-spec over an 07 type-s with no regrets. i haven't once thought about upgrading, other than to a 07 G35 or 335i
Have you driven both? What were your thoughts? I think the TL-S has a somewhat less aggressive suspension than the A-Spec to produce a better ride. The 17 inch wheels probably have a lot to do with that, however. Has anyone compared the TL-S with 18 inch wheels to a full A-Spec set up?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree!

I test drove the 07 type-s. Nothing really impressed me. Not even the 3.5L.

The rims are definately the ugliest thing and the red lights instead of the white lights on the interior was a turn off.

I wasn't feeling the body of the new 07 either. It really looks like a TSX. Does not have the sharp look of the 06 A-spec I have.

I do like the mirror blinkers, but other than that, nothing else is all that great.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:38 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
TL A-Spec > TL-S
Old 11-30-2006, 06:11 AM
Instructor

there's a few things that the 07 tl-s has that i want is the mp3 capatiblity, 3.5 engine and that's about it.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Anyone else think the TL-S looks like the TSX? And it's body/rims are definately uglier than the 06 A-spec?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Pro

Does the TL-S have the same suspension as the A-Spec, or are they both completly different?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you floor it when u drove it? I felt a big difference between the type-S and regular 3rd gen TL in performance. I used to get a lot of TL's as loaners when i dropped off my CL for service so i know how fast they feel.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Peach Tea

lol you A-Spec advocates are funny. The TLS is awesome.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:38 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by Macruz19
Does the TL-S have the same suspension as the A-Spec, or are they both completly different?
the a-spec is supposedly stiffer and geared more for performance.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Originally Posted by badazzTL
lol you A-Spec advocates are funny. The TLS is awesome.
seriously, aside from the engine....i'd take my a-spec.

i bought my Tl for 32,800 did an a-spec conversion and wouldn't want to pay the differential for the type-s, i really is not worth it.....
Old 11-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you were to take the 2 and sat them side ny side. Assuming you can save $7000 with the A-Spec I would take the A-Spec. Now if I were able to afford both I might jump for the TL-S simply because of the gadgets. Because I would have to add a few thousand to the A-spec to get the camera, pro-cats and a few other things to make them equal to me.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:56 PM
Racer

i bought my Tl for 32,800 did an a-spec conversion and wouldn't want to pay the differential for the type-s, i really is not worth it.....

I own both and can tell you this Type S is in another category, everyone chimes in with just paper facts, makes me smile when I am in my car.......the A-Spec is great , but I get back into it from the Type S and it is like another vehicle....night and day, the type S amazes me every time.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Racer

I own both and can tell you this Type S is in another category, everyone chimes in with just paper facts, makes me smile when I am in my car.......the A-Spec is great , but I get back into it from the Type S and it is like another vehicle....night and day, the type S amazes me every time.

My thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147040
Old 11-30-2006, 06:17 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by simont53

My thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147040
I agree with you. I test drove both the 06 TL A-Spec (Manager's car) and the 07 TL-S. Although I liked the look of the A Spec better, but I found the TL-S ride to be a lot more refined with similar handling. I prefer the heavier feel of the steering wheel for the TL-S - especially at higher speeds and cornering. The TL-S is also a lot quiter - not sure if it's the ANC or not, but there is a noticable difference.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:05 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Pika817
I agree with you. I test drove both the 06 TL A-Spec (Manager's car) and the 07 TL-S. Although I liked the look of the A Spec better, but I found the TL-S ride to be a lot more refined with similar handling. I prefer the heavier feel of the steering wheel for the TL-S - especially at higher speeds and cornering. The TL-S is also a lot quiter - not sure if it's the ANC or not, but there is a noticable difference.
Cost value proposition isn't there.

refined handling = softer/squishier...
quiter = good tires...

Those attributes are worth $5K.

Aspec body and Tein/EDFC, CAI, pulley, procats, and some other stuff.. $2.5K (got some good deals on used stuff).
$1500 worth of AV goodies in my A-Spec, and I can:
1) Watch TV
2) Watch a DVD/mp3 CD
3) Play playstation2
4) Ipod
5) Mediagate ISOs
All independently switched.

Said and done, my A-spec does more technically, and at least = the power output... and I ony have $36K tied up... with 19 rims and 17s as snow tires.

What do I not have? red interior (I used to have a VW, I like the white/blue), silly new taillights and turn signals, and some very minor, Nav traffic, bluetooth phone book, questionable ANC, and a BADGE.

$500 get me all but nav traffic and phonebook.

Not a hater... Just happy to have $3.5K more in my pocket for a supercharger to make a TL-S killer.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kennedy

quiter = good tires...

Aspec body and Tein/EDFC, CAI, pulley, procats, and some other stuff.. $2.5K (got some good deals on used stuff).
1) Watch TV
2) Watch a DVD/mp3 CD
3) Play playstation2
4) Ipod
5) Mediagate ISOs

Said and done, my A-spec does more technically, and at least = the power output... and I ony have $36K tied up... with 19 rims and 17s as snow tires.

What do I not have? red interior (I used to have a VW, I like the white/blue), silly new taillights and turn signals, and some very minor, Nav traffic, bluetooth phone book, questionable ANC, and a BADGE.

Not a hater... Just happy to have $3.5K more in my pocket for a supercharger to make a TL-S killer.
Who said this was a "cost value proposition" it is a comparison between an A Spec and a type S not "look what I have done to my car" and once again own one and drive one, dont compare paper numbers.

Jeez this is tiresome
Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I noticed a lot of people here are hating on the Type-S.
Of course you could use all that extra money and fix up your regular TL. We are not comparing them moneywise, we all know the Type-S costs more.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:49 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by simont53
Who said this was a "cost value proposition" it is a comparison between an A Spec and a type S not "look what I have done to my car" and once again own one and drive one, dont compare paper numbers.

Jeez this is tiresome
Then what the hell is the point of this thread? It it was solely to compare technical differences between the TL-S and TL... well, there are at least 7 threads on that and of course the TL-S wins everytime.

The point of my previous post was to show that if you're handy you can actually have MORE bells and whistles on a standard TL vice an out of the box TL-S for way LESS money. Cost value proposition is very much a consideration of purchase and comparison, else we'd all be in Ferrarri's and such.

I don't need to own one, and I have driven one... and the "value" isn't there in my mind. Glad you're so excited about yours, but i don't need the "S" moniker to know my car is hot, and I enjoy knowing I'm driving a great car and paid a reasonable price for it. Sorry to hurt your feelings.
My attitude will probably change in the spring when prices come down to the $35K range for TL-Ss

To install all the equipment I installed on a TL-S would push teh TL-S costs into the $43K range... and again, the cost value proposition isn't there, as there are a lot nicer cars out there for that... RL included.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Racer

Then what the hell is the point of this thread? It it was solely to compare technical differences between the TL-S and TL... well, there are at least 7 threads on that and of course the TL-S wins everytime.

The point of my previous post was to show that if you're handy you can actually have MORE bells and whistles on a standard TL vice an out of the box TL-S for way LESS money. Cost value proposition is very much a consideration of purchase and comparison, else we'd all be in Ferrarri's and such.

I don't need to own one, and I have driven one... and the "value" isn't there in my mind. Glad you're so excited about yours, but i don't need the "S" moniker to know my car is hot, and I enjoy knowing I'm driving a great car and paid a reasonable price for it. Sorry to hurt your feelings.
My attitude will probably change in the spring when prices come down to the $35K range for TL-Ss

To install all the equipment I installed on a TL-S would push teh TL-S costs into the $43K range... and again, the cost value proposition isn't there, as there are a lot nicer cars out there for that... RL included.

Hey, I didnt start the thread I just responded as I own both cars....one test drive in the Type S will not highlight this cars benefits, and my A spec is nowhere near to my Type S in performance even with an intake.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Pro

If I had the money, i would get the Type-S. I love my 05 TL A-Spec and I don't get jealous at all about the Type-S.

I still need to test drive the TL-S 6-Speed to see what you guys are talking about. I been inside one and I wanted to drive the 6-speed but my dealer didn't have one. I'm sure it's the same, but with added power.

To me... the A-Spec looks lower than the TL-S. You can see the gap on the TL-S.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
The 2007 TL-S MSRP is only $2K over a 2007 TL w/Nav, not $5K.

That seems much more performance value oriented than the A-Spec which has 18" wheels and lower and stiffer springs/higher rate dampers and different brake pads (for A/T). The again everyone looks at these comparisons differently.

quiter = good tires...

1) Watch TV
2) Watch a DVD/mp3 CD
3) Play playstation2
4) Ipod
5) Mediagate ISOs

Old 12-01-2006, 01:59 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

That seems much more performance value oriented than the A-Spec which has 18" wheels and lower and stiffer springs/higher rate dampers and different brake pads (for A/T). The again everyone looks at these comparisons differently.
Exactly. You can't directly compare the price of the 06s to the 07s. For one, the 06 will sell for less next year than the 07s. The price difference is $2K from a regular TL to a Type S.

If that's what we're comparing, then there's no difference in the NAV and whatnot. The $2K extra that we paid for in our 07s was for the engine, stiffer suspension, etc. Don't include red lighting in that because it does not cost extra money to do that over having blue.

$2,000.00 for the larger engine, brembos, suspension is a bargain IMO. I can get an aftermarket kit and tires for a lot cheaper than at the dealership.

But again, I will have to admit, that the A-Spec looks WAY better than the Type S.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Legend2TL

$7K more than I paid for my 2006 in April. I'm comparing my price paid to actual costs today for a 2007 TL-S. My arguement, as I stated earlier, will be eroded when prices drop to Invoice... Yet I won;t be willing to take such a depreciation hit for the limited value of the minor increases...

I'll just buy a set of tails.

If I was in the market for a new TL today... I'd buy a lightly used/new 2006 first...
2007 are getting MSRP, and that's just dumb to pay. In the summer when actual prices are around 32K - TL and 35K -TL-S, the typeS will be no brainer... but not right now.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 PM
07 NBP TL-S

$7K more than I paid for my 2006 in April. I'm comparing my price paid to actual costs today for a 2007 TL-S. My arguement, as I stated earlier, will be eroded when prices drop to Invoice... Yet I won;t be willing to take such a depreciation hit for the limited value of the minor increases...

I'll just buy a set of tails.

If I was in the market for a new TL today... I'd buy a lightly used/new 2006 first...
2007 are getting MSRP, and that's just dumb to pay. In the summer when actual prices are around 32K - TL and 35K -TL-S, the typeS will be no brainer... but not right now.
I see what you're trying to get at. If a person in the market today was to consider between the two, an 06 would be a lot better for the value.

But if you compare 07s to 07s, then the value is there - regardless of when the person plans to purchase.

Either way, this thread is way off topic. I would be interested in what you think in regards to the comparisons in the actual performance of the two without looking at value. i.e. Do you think the A Spec corners better? Does the Type S have a better ride? How do the A Spec tires compare to the standard Type S ones?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:51 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

I see what you're trying to get at. If a person in the market today was to consider between the two, an 06 would be a lot better for the value.

But if you compare 07s to 07s, then the value is there - regardless of when the person plans to purchase.

Either way, this thread is way off topic. I would be interested in what you think in regards to the comparisons in the actual performance of the two without looking at value. i.e. Do you think the A Spec corners better? Does the Type S have a better ride? How do the A Spec tires compare to the standard Type S ones?
My input is of limited value. Look at the ride height of the TL-S... It rides like a boat... from my test drive it was way to cushy for my liking. The front dipped hard on a good braking, the cornering was OK, but again the body rolled more than more than I like. The suspension was not as sport oriented as the lower and tighter A-Spec. $600 A-Spec suspension, or Tein coils would fix that right up.

Tires are tires. Stock usually stinks, if you want performance, you have to pay for it... and good tires are one of the first places you go.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:59 PM
07 NBP TL-S

My input is of limited value. Look at the ride height of the TL-S... It rides like a boat... from my test drive it was way to cushy for my liking. The front dipped hard on a good braking, the cornering was OK, but again the body rolled more than more than I like. The suspension was not as sport oriented as the lower and tighter A-Spec. $600 A-Spec suspension, or Tein coils would fix that right up.

Tires are tires. Stock usually stinks, if you want performance, you have to pay for it... and good tires are one of the first places you go.
Perfect. I think that's the kind of info that the OP wanted.

Personally, the Type S gave me the middle ground that I was looking for between A Spec and the regular TL, as I found the A Spec to be a bit too harsh as an everyday driver. I'm used to a more cushy ride coming from a Camry.

I did find that the TL-S auto is noticably quicker than the regular on straight line acceleration, but not an earth shattering difference. Just enough extra to make me smirk. Maybe there's less of a difference on the 6MT - can anyone comment?
Old 12-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
The type S is just more solid in structure, and better balanced in ride. My A-spec is the full kit with 18's and michelin ps2's. I love it, but the ride is a bit harsh at times and the suspension float kills me. The type S feels more planted and rides better. Test drove, going reasonably fast, down hill, on very curvy roads and over a hump where not only the a-spec but plenty of other cars would have floated, then bobbled. The type s had no lift at all, and remained totally composed. Drove over the edge of a 1 in metal plank and the car absorbed the hit without any intrusion. Not a good feeling on the A-spec. I think the stock michelins on the S, overrate the ride, and underrate the handling. I can agree with the body roll statements to a degree but, I dont think it would be an issue if it had better rubber.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:03 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

I haven't seen any published numbers yet but I'll bet that the TL A-Spec beats the TL-S through the slalom and figure 8 (standard Motor Trend tests). You all who bought the TL-S are manifesting cognitive dissonance. I've driven both on curvy roads and the TL A-Spec has less body roll and feels more planted then the TL-S. We'll see when the numbers are published. For the record, these are the numbers Motor Trend got comparing stock to A-Spec in 2004

2004 Acura TL-------------- TL--------------------------A- SPEC
0-60 mph, sec---------------6.0----------------------------5.7
1/4 mile----------------14.44 @ 98.17-------------14.25 @ 97.81
Braking, 60-0, f t-------------141--------------------------119
Slalom, mph------------------62.5-------------------------66.1
Skidpad, g--------------------0.77--------------------------0.83

Yeah baby....A-Spec rocks
Old 12-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Had my 2004 TL in because the power steering pump had bad O ring after 38000 miles and had to be replaced. Owned Acuras for 10years plus and never had anything like that happen. Took the opertunity to look at the new S and talk to a salesman. His view of the S was that it was too bad they forced the Nav on you, not faster off the line but pulls better after about 20-25, Aspec handles better, no one likes the wheels or all the pipes sticking out for no reason or the overall price but they will sell a bunch while waiting for the big changes in '08. I was very surprised by his attitude but after seeing the car I have to agree with the look part. Think I will wait another year.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Peach Tea

Wow, you guys must be some old farts. I think the Type-S looks amazing, wheels included.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:36 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,159 Likes on 2,583 Posts
Agreed, for the 5AT the TL-S is pretty decent value at $2K increase over a 07 TL since you get Brembo front brakes, stiffer swaybars, stiffer springs/shocks, bigger motor, backup camera, improved sequential shifting, noise cancellation, and it's all done by the factory not installed by a dealer/owner. Too bad you need to buy the Nav package to get it.

Exactly. You can't directly compare the price of the 06s to the 07s. For one, the 06 will sell for less next year than the 07s. The price difference is $2K from a regular TL to a Type S.

If that's what we're comparing, then there's no difference in the NAV and whatnot. The $2K extra that we paid for in our 07s was for the engine, stiffer suspension, etc. Don't include red lighting in that because it does not cost extra money to do that over having blue.

$2,000.00 for the larger engine, brembos, suspension is a bargain IMO. I can get an aftermarket kit and tires for a lot cheaper than at the dealership.

But again, I will have to admit, that the A-Spec looks WAY better than the Type S.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:58 PM

I love my 2006 A-Spec. I think the rims on the TL-S are downright ugly. There is no way I would part with my black chrome rims. After they refresed the 2007s, I was very glad I bought my 2006 in time. While I would love to have nav-traffic, mp3, 3.5 liter, and better seat support, I think the new mirror lights look cheap (reminds me of a TSX), I think the new gauges look generic (also TSXish). I love the A-Spec steering wheel, and the overall lowered look of the car.

I do wish I had the performance of the TL-S, but would rather have the looks. Let's face it, if it was just performance I would have gotten a Mustang Cobra or WRX. One of the performance features of the TL-S is larger air intake, and I think my AEM intake takes care of that aspect nicely. So while I envy a few features, in the end I'm very happy with my vehicle and won't consider a trade-in until the new model comes out, and even then I will probably be reluctant to let go of it. Everywhere I drive people constantly stare at this car. People who know what TLs are still ask me what I'm driving, and say it doesn't look like a TL. I think Acura got it right with this car and two years later I still admire how well designed it is and am proud to drive it.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:54 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
TL Type-S FTW!
Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 AM
E55>>>TLS

^^
Old 12-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 12-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Why are we dogging on each other?!?! We are all TLers.

Speed, hp and track times are all exciting elements of any sporty car, but most of us do not go to the track everyday, we do not race on streets, but use our cars as a daily commuter to work and to run errands. We are spirited drivers. I've been plenty on track with my others cars, now unfortunately I don't have the time.

A-Spec is a hot looking car, TLS is also a hot looking car. Some prefer more comfort they go with a TLS, and I guess people that seek that extra edge go for an A-Spec, all in all, we are a still part of the same TL family.
I love my WDP 08 TLS.

Quick Reply: TL-S versus A-Spec Comparison