Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL price in Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:22 AM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtruman
Hey guys, one suggestion. Go down to LA. I did.

I was at a dealership on Christmas eve at 12:00PM, and very luckily, they had a 6MT, w/Navi, Anthracite, Ebony in stock. The original person who placed the order backed out. By 5:00PM that day, I drove the car home, paying $34,300.

You will get a better deal down there, then drive the car up to the bay area.

JTRUMAN..that's about $900 off MSRP. Not bad at all. Wow maybe I will consider buying a car down there. It's just a drag flying down there from where I am and driving it up here. It's gonna cost me at least $150 to fly down if not more..plus it takes lots of time! But you are saving a good amount. Is it worth it though? Considering we can get at least $500 off MSRP around the bay area?

Your thoughts?
Old 04-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TL_2004_CA
JTRUMAN..that's about $900 off MSRP. Not bad at all. Wow maybe I will consider buying a car down there. It's just a drag flying down there from where I am and driving it up here. It's gonna cost me at least $150 to fly down if not more..plus it takes lots of time! But you are saving a good amount. Is it worth it though? Considering we can get at least $500 off MSRP around the bay area?

Your thoughts?
Very valid points.

I was going down to LA on regular basis, so it was convenient. Back then, I couldn't get most of the dealers in bay area to move the price below MSRP, so the delta between NorCal and SoCal was $900. Check other threads on what people are paying in SoCal today (I think I saw one thread like that), I wonder if it's still $500 - $1000 differential compared to NorCal.

Another option may be to buy it in New Jersey / New York and have it shipped here. I can't believe the prices they are getting out there, many people seem to be paying 33,000 - 33,500 for one with Navi.

Another thing to consider is that the first 400 miles of your break-in will be highway. Some people have said it's not good for the car (will not rev to redline smoothly), but I have had about 7000 miles on the car now, and no problems.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Fivespeed

If anyone is interest, my local dealer (Pasadena Acura) has a gold/ebony/Navi (of of yesterday) that they are willing to deal on. Talk to Thomas Szabo.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:40 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Hey guys, one suggestion. Go down to LA. I did.

I was at a dealership on Christmas eve at 12:00PM, and very luckily, they had a 6MT, w/Navi, Anthracite, Ebony in stock. The original person who placed the order backed out. By 5:00PM that day, I drove the car home, paying $34,300.

You will get a better deal down there, then drive the car up to the bay area.
I bought mine around the same time - January 4th - for $33,950 in the Bay Area. All weather mats, protection package, and body side moldings thrown in.

I think it really depends on the dealership and how many people they have on their waiting list as opposed to being a pure regional thing.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lore
I bought mine around the same time - January 4th - for $33,950 in the Bay Area. All weather mats, protection package, and body side moldings thrown in.
That's truly a great deal!!
Old 04-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Question

That's truly a great deal!!

Very true, that is a great deal! I also hear that Anthracite is the hardest color to get since it is the most popular color in general? Is this true or do you guys see lots of Anthracites sitting on the lots?
Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Advanced

i think i saw 3 anthracites 6MT at the lot in sunnyvale a month ago.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kelly408
i think i saw 3 anthracites 6MT at the lot in sunnyvale a month ago.
Those were not navis.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Any good experiences with Pleasanton Acura?
Old 04-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Any good experiences with Pleasanton Acura ?

Or Mike Harvey Acura?
Old 04-24-2004, 05:12 PM
5th Gear

Bay Area Acura dealers

Or Mike Harvey Acura?
I went to Mike Harvey Acura last Wed. April 21st. First, all TL's have dealer markup's of $4,000. Second, low balled my trade-in by $2500 (per the Edmunds TMV trade-in value) and would only move up by $200. Salesperson would not really talk about price. Everytime I made an offer, salesperson wanted to "balance" the deal with a low financing rate. I am not sure they would have even taken MSRP for the car. I started at $33,500 and my final offer was $34,600 for a SSM AT w/navi, no accessories. Needless to say, I will not be going back.

On Wed, they had 1 navi and 4 TL's on the lot . Salesperson said that only have 4 navi's coming in their next allocation in early May.

Last, the funniest thing in the showroom......, a $2,000 dealer markup on a 2004 RL.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Mike Harvey dealership is one place you should scratch off the list. Checkout the AcuraMDX forumboard too for negative comments. Salespeople there are a disgrace.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:26 PM
pps
Advanced

Mike harvey Acura

I bought my ssm navi at Mike Harvey in January. Figure I got about $1000-1200 off of MSRP.

Negotiation was trival. I named a price on the phone. He called back and said sure (which means I probably could have gotten it for less, but oh well, it was less than anyone else at the time).

Now....the saleman was an idiot. Didn't even show up when I had to pick up the car, spent 2 hours to pick up the damn car, and they didn't have it prepped.

By far the most incompetent dealership I have ever seen. The salesmen I saw there looked like 21 year old college students without any basic training (nothing against college students --- there are some great ones, but not a Mike Harvey Acura).

Good thing I never have to go there again --- but I got a good price (I think).

Originally Posted by D4SSWME
Mike Harvey dealership is one place you should scratch off the list. Checkout the AcuraMDX forumboard too for negative comments. Salespeople there are a disgrace.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Bobz

Smile

Originally Posted by Midtownr
I went to Mike Harvey Acura last Wed. April 21st. First, all TL's have dealer markup's of $4,000. Second, low balled my trade-in by $2500 (per the Edmunds TMV trade-in value) and would only move up by $200. Salesperson would not really talk about price. Everytime I made an offer, salesperson wanted to "balance" the deal with a low financing rate. I am not sure they would have even taken MSRP for the car. I started at $33,500 and my final offer was $34,600 for a SSM AT w/navi, no accessories. Needless to say, I will not be going back.

On Wed, they had 1 navi and 4 TL's on the lot . Salesperson said that only have 4 navi's coming in their next allocation in early May.

Last, the funniest thing in the showroom......, a $2,000 dealer markup on a 2004 RL.
As soon as I see a dealer markup over MSRP, I walk right out of the dealer. Mike Harvey isn't the only ones doing that of course; Concord BMW also has a dealer markup on their already overpriced Bimmers. Concord Acura was a good place to shop for me. No BS, except I had to do the financial paperwork even though I was already pre-approved and of course you have to listen to all of the crap they try to sell you in addition to the vehicle.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
As soon as I see a dealer markup over MSRP, I walk right out of the dealer. Mike Harvey isn't the only ones doing that of course; Concord BMW also has a dealer markup on their already overpriced Bimmers. Concord Acura was a good place to shop for me. No BS, except I had to do the financial paperwork even though I was already pre-approved and of course you have to listen to all of the crap they try to sell you in addition to the vehicle.

When did you get your car? Specs on the car? How much did you pay? Seems like Nav systems are going for MSRP in teh bay area. Any one with luck? Pls share your experiences and spread the luck! - Which delearships are giving you guys decent deals on the NAV systems.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Bobz

I purchased a non-nav RRP/parchment with protection package for $ 31, 800. plus a car cover thrown in. I added additional accessories such as body side moldings, wheel locks, trunk tray, and mudguards for about 50% less than Concord Acura was charging as part of a packaged "Concord Acura" complete protection package, which they later admitted was an inflated price which they tried to hide by not itemizing the cost of each item. Other than that and what I mentioned earlier, the dealer gave me a fair price (below Edmunds TMV and auto broker quotes). They were adament about not dealing on navigation equipped TL's even though they had several on the lot. I had to keep telling the salesman that I was not interested in a navigation car, in order for them to agree to negotiate. I guess he wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to jerk them around with some sort of bait and switch tactic to get a navigation car. I feel for the people trying to get navigation cars; it seems they have very little negotiating power especially if they have to have a certain color. And it seems especially bad here in the Bay Area.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Has anyone bought a NAV TL in the bay area lately? Any luck with price negotiation? What dealership? Specs pls

Thx!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Pro

Has anyone bought a NAV TL in the bay area lately? Any luck with price negotiation? What dealership? Specs pls

Thx!

I just PM you. I am much more active on the 2nd Gen forum for obvious reasons. Let me know if I can help. Navi units will be difficult to discount. I can probably get $500off MSRP possible $1000 if you work at it. Non-Navi is $1500off possibly $2000 with more haggling.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:37 AM
5th Gear

NAV TL in the Bay Area

Thx!
With some of the deals I have been seeing on NAV TLs on the east coast, I am thinking on my next trip to NYC that I may try and get a deal. The drive back could be a blast (although long).

Has anyone tried this and then payed shipping cost on the car back to the bay area?
Old 04-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Originally Posted by Midtownr
With some of the deals I have been seeing on NAV TLs on the east coast, I am thinking on my next trip to NYC that I may try and get a deal. The drive back could be a blast (although long).

Has anyone tried this and then payed shipping cost on the car back to the bay area?

I know! It's soo freakin hard to get a decent deal around here in the bay area! Everyone just wants to sell it at MSRP. Give me a break already and please offer me a decent discount!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Hey guys! Here is some insight from a Bay Area buyer - myself!

First off, some of the people above stated getting this for around 34K. It would be a BARGAIN for someone in the BAY AREA to get the NAV car for this much!! All the east cost people, especially around the JERSEY area are getting AWESOME deals. But, with regard to the Bay Area, I can't say the same. In the past 3 weeks, I have gotten in contact with about 12+ dealerships in the area and the Navs are selling like hot cakes right now! 85% of the dealers will sell you the car at MSRP (Nav cars) because they are ALL pre-sold before they can even get on the lot. There are 2 dealers who may sell you cars at $500 off, BUT and this is a BIG BUT - I have heard stories from other dealerships that are saying these 2 dealers agree to sell you at a discount, but when your car arrives 10 weeks later, they sell it to you at MSRP, because they have other buyers who are willing purchase at full price. So basically you lose! I myself am in progress, and am still looking around! For myself, the wait for a car ranges anywhere from 2 weeks to 12+ weeks. I am not sure what to do now because seems the Navs are going for MSRP. But, to get $500-$700 off would be a great deal in the bay area. My brother ran into a fellow who recently purchased a White TL w/ NAV and A-spec. He asked the driver how much he got it for - he said FULL PRICE, and this car was purchased in Los Gatos! The driver of the TL said "my brother works at Los Gatos dealership and he couldn't even get me $100 bucks off!!" SCARY, isn't it?! :devil: If anyone has suggestions regarding purchasing in the Bay Area, I would appreciate it!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:33 PM
7th Gear

Buy in NJ and either have the car shipped, about $800 or fly out and pick it up.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Originally Posted by spadoc
Buy in NJ and either have the car shipped, about $800 or fly out and pick it up.

Have you done this before? Where did you get your TL?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:53 AM
10th Gear

In boston area, you can get a tl w/o nav for 30K or 30500. With Nav costs 34K.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:17 PM
10th Gear

My wife and I have been looking into buying a TL. We went to a few dealerships and in the Bay Area, they all say the same thing. The NAVI's are flying off the lot, etc. They also say that it costs $1000 more to buy a TL in LA rather than getting it here in the Bay Area.

Needless to say, we are waiting until September or around there to buy a 2005 TL WDP w/NAVI. We submitted a request on costco.com to see what price we could get. We were able to get $1000 off of a NAVI. I'm not sure if there are multiple dealerships that participate in the Coscto Auto Buying Program, but we were working with Oakland Acura.

We really wanna pull the trigger now and buy one, but we are saving a little more cash to pay for most of the price.

The only thing I am also wondering about is negotiating with the dealership to throw in the all season mats, wheel locks, etc. We are also trying to decide if we should get the 18" OEM rims or not. I know it may make the ride a little more bumpy, etc. Decisions, decisions! Any other members out there that wish they had the 17" OEM rims rather than the 18" OEM's?

hehe, I just hope there are some NAVI units left for us now that I am making it public knowledge that Costo has a very decent discount on NAVI units. I believe you can also get $2000 of a non NAVI unit! :bowdown:
Old 05-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Originally Posted by natrlhy
My wife and I have been looking into buying a TL. We went to a few dealerships and in the Bay Area, they all say the same thing. The NAVI's are flying off the lot, etc. They also say that it costs $1000 more to buy a TL in LA rather than getting it here in the Bay Area.

Needless to say, we are waiting until September or around there to buy a 2005 TL WDP w/NAVI. We submitted a request on costco.com to see what price we could get. We were able to get $1000 off of a NAVI. I'm not sure if there are multiple dealerships that participate in the Coscto Auto Buying Program, but we were working with Oakland Acura.

We really wanna pull the trigger now and buy one, but we are saving a little more cash to pay for most of the price.

The only thing I am also wondering about is negotiating with the dealership to throw in the all season mats, wheel locks, etc. We are also trying to decide if we should get the 18" OEM rims or not. I know it may make the ride a little more bumpy, etc. Decisions, decisions! Any other members out there that wish they had the 17" OEM rims rather than the 18" OEM's?

hehe, I just hope there are some NAVI units left for us now that I am making it public knowledge that Costo has a very decent discount on NAVI units. I believe you can also get $2000 of a non NAVI unit! :bowdown:
I appreciate your help! How long is the wait for your car to come in?
Old 05-11-2004, 02:45 PM
3rd Gear

Very interesting article, However; the best prices I have found have been in Florida. Rick Case Acura in Fort Lauderdale. The internet Manager there his name is Dayton he is awesome with prices. Availability is not a problem there, they always have cars. I would highly recomend that guy. I got my navi from him and we have not had any problems and till this day I have not found a better price. If anyone is interested you can contact him by email daytondiaz@rickcase.com or thru the phone 954-377-7612.

ASPEC04
Old 05-11-2004, 02:55 PM
3rd Gear

Very interesting article, However; the best prices I have found have been in Florida. Rick Case Acura in Fort Lauderdale. The internet Manager there his name is Dayton he is awesome with prices. Availability is not a problem there, they always have cars. I would highly recomend that guy. I got my navi from him and we have not had any problems and till this day I have not found a better price. If anyone is interested you can contact him by email daytondiaz@rickcase.com or thru the phone 954-377-7612.

ASPEC04
Old 05-11-2004, 05:19 PM
10th Gear

I appreciate your help! How long is the wait for your car to come in?
We haven't ordered ours yet. But when asking how long the wait would be if we did, they said it would be about 2.5 to 3 months and that was in mid-April.

Also, what do you think the ride will be like on the OEM 18" rims that you are gonna get?! We are thinking of doing the same!
Old 05-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Originally Posted by natrlhy
We haven't ordered ours yet. But when asking how long the wait would be if we did, they said it would be about 2.5 to 3 months and that was in mid-April.

Also, what do you think the ride will be like on the OEM 18" rims that you are gonna get?! We are thinking of doing the same!
HOLY MOLY - 2.5 months to 3 months huh? Wowsers - that's a pretty long time! That's July time frame - well that's what Stevens Creek said to me too. What color were you planning on getting?

I have already test drove the TL on stock 17s and they seem great. Remember these are stock 17s on the crappy Turanza tires. Moving to 18s undoubtly will decrease the smoothness of the ride - but I think these effects will be minimal, especially if you get a good set of tires. IMHO, the 18s look awesome on the TL and I definitely plan on getting them. I was quoted $300/tire for the 18s so I told the dealer to go screw himself...I can get better tires for that price instead of using their "$300 Yokohamas". So when I get my car, I plan on purchasing the 18" rims ONLY and getting my own tires and putting them on. That way, I can finance the rims as well. I'll probably get some Michelins, Potenzas or Dunlops.

So are you still going to wait it out?

I was actually thinkin about buying w/o Nav since it's such a GREAT deal. The w/o nav car is $2000 cheaper than with Nav..plus you can probably get an additional $2000 discount on the car buy negotiating! That brings the total to around 31K area! Such a deal but i love the Nav...decisions decisions! :think:
Old 05-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Bobz

You can also get the other Acura add on accessories cheaper than the salesman quotes, by dealing separately with the service department. At least that was my experience at Concord Acura. I saved about 50%. I also went with the non-nav and got the car for $ 31,700 including car cover and protection package (which was already on car). To get a nav car would have cost me over 34k, and my wife said we would seldom use it which was probably true, although I like those type of gadgets. No matter which version you purchase the TL is the best value going right now in near luxury segment. I bet Acura boosts the price by $ 1000 next year.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased my car at Oakland Acura at the end of March. I was able to get $500 off of MSRP ($35,195.00). I worked with Robert Munoz. He was great to work with. Going into negotiations, I told my wife that...
1.) We get at least $500 knocked off the MSRP.
2.) We get free floor mats, wheel locks, and trunk tray...or we walk.

Since the floor mats came with the car...we did get everything except for the trunk tray which they sold to us for $50.

At the time we were buying costco was not doing any deals for TLs with NAVI.

All of the dealerships have mentioned that if you want to buy any other color with NAVI that's not popular (red, green, white, desert mist)...they are willing to deal.

BTW...don't believe the dealers when they say it'll take 90 days...as soon as someone backs out of deposit...they start calling everyone that's left them a phone number. Also...since it's getting late into the year, I would imagine that they would start dropping prices.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:52 AM
10th Gear

HOLY MOLY - 2.5 months to 3 months huh? Wowsers - that's a pretty long time! That's July time frame - well that's what Stevens Creek said to me too. What color were you planning on getting?

I have already test drove the TL on stock 17s and they seem great. Remember these are stock 17s on the crappy Turanza tires. Moving to 18s undoubtly will decrease the smoothness of the ride - but I think these effects will be minimal, especially if you get a good set of tires. IMHO, the 18s look awesome on the TL and I definitely plan on getting them. I was quoted $300/tire for the 18s so I told the dealer to go screw himself...I can get better tires for that price instead of using their "$300 Yokohamas". So when I get my car, I plan on purchasing the 18" rims ONLY and getting my own tires and putting them on. That way, I can finance the rims as well. I'll probably get some Michelins, Potenzas or Dunlops.

So are you still going to wait it out?

I was actually thinkin about buying w/o Nav since it's such a GREAT deal. The w/o nav car is $2000 cheaper than with Nav..plus you can probably get an additional $2000 discount on the car buy negotiating! That brings the total to around 31K area! Such a deal but i love the Nav...decisions decisions! :think:
We own a black 98 Prelude Type SH and a black 01 Yukon Denali. Of course we really love black still, but we are going to go with the WDP w/Navi. We LOVE how the 18" rims look and that is the only option we are debating to get. Give up a smoother ride for looks? I should post a new topic to get the opinions of owners with the 18's on their TL's.

We are going to wait it out. September isn't that far off and we are in no rush. Might even get a better deal on an '04 when the 05's come in! $300 is ridiculous! I'll see what the are willing to do for us if we decide to go with the 18's.
Old 05-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Talking

Neil Espendez’ Buying tips:

“Follow this”

Step 1) Do your homework first (like what you are doing now, take on consideration supply and demand in your area and their current stock) and consider your bid (Also always bid lower that what you are willing to go for example $500 from the lowest price you see on the board or 1% from dealer invoice = $30,600 plus tax, tag and title).

Step 2) if you are going to finance also get the process completed or started prior to going to the dealer. For example get a pre-approval from the finance company (Bank or Honda Financial). Don’t give them a chance to win on the interest rate or lease rate either.

Step 3) Go to the dealer the LAST weekend of the month, first thing in the morning on a Saturday AM. Bring money with you (Check or credit card). They like to see money with the offer (for Example $1500). They will let a car go in order to start a selling frenzy (competition between sales people). All sales people and managers have quotas to meet.

Step 4) Find the ugliest sales person or the youngest sales person who works there (They usually have the most problems getting sales and meeting their quotas (Don’t forget to be extra nice to them).

Step 5) don’t let it become a pissing contest. The sales manager (either personally or through the sales person) will ask you "how much can you afford?" or "what kind of payments are you looking for?" Listen to them first, keep your bid to your self let them give you their price and their rates.

Step 6) Make your bid and let them know you are willing to take the car the same day before noon if possible. They will come back with a higher bid. Don’t let the sales manager bully you into a price you are not comfortable with (they like to play good cop and bad cop). Their job is to beat you out of your money; your job is to save your money.

Step 7) Make your final bid. If it’s not accepted, thank them for their time first before letting them know you are leaving. They will freak out, come back and try to deal.

Step 7) Follow my example, sit back and smile. Remember that you are playing their game (Poker stile) in their court, be confident but not cocky, nobody likes a cocky person. Good Luck.

Sincerely,
Neil Espendez
AKA: Vtecne
Old 06-14-2004, 07:29 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

has anyone in the bay area bought one recently?...experiences?...Nav or Not..THX