3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL price in Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 11:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding is that dealers order out of their allocation, and that orders go to the factory once each month. Let's say a dealer is allocated 20 TL's per month. A dealer will order a variety of colors/transmissions, NAV, etc. based on what they think will sell. If a prospective buyer (who's serious enough to put down a deposit) wants a particular car, that type of car will be ordered from the allocation. If a dealer has 20 "orders" from customers in a month, then he's filled his allocation for that month and subsequent orders have to go on the next month's allocation - with a longer delay. That's why some dealers may be able to get you a car sooner than others - they have fewer customer orders relative to their allocation.

In this area, almost every NAVI car is presold because Acura isn't or can't build enough to meet demand. If a dealer has a NAVI car in his lot it's there because someone didn't follow through on their order. So, if you want NAVI, you'll either have to order and wait - or get very lucky that a pre-ordered car doesn't get sold. Also, unless you're a good negotiator and/or the stars are aligned, don't expect to get much less than MSRP for NAVI in this area.

Having said that I have a NAVI and waited 10 weeks (Hopkins Acura in Redwood City). It was worth the wait, and I really liked working with Hopkins, too.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro

I am not sure what ppl are getting off MSRP especially on the 6sp MT. I was told that my sales could give $1500 off MSRP. On the TL 6sp non-Navi. A bigger discount could be had with a 5sp auto non-Navi.

If anyone is looking for a good discount PM and I will tell you who to talk to at Pleasanton Acura. If you talk to him and mention I referred you. The price should be hard to beat.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Instructor

I have placed a deposit with Hopkins for a 6-spd with Nav.

was told it will take about 8-weeks.

Argh!
Old 03-24-2004, 11:32 AM
8th Gear

Yow -- things have really changed since I bought one at the end of December. Then, the lots had plenty of TLs. It's almost like the house market now -- so many bidders that if you really want one, you have to compete.

You know, Infiniti makes a pretty nice car too, and you won't get trampled walking up to one on the lot.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:03 AM
1st Gear

It's really tough in this area to get a deal on a auto/nav model. I have visited 5 dealerships in person and worked with the Internet managers and no one is willing to budge very much. I tried to use the Edmunds TVM printout with one dealership and they told me - "If you want to drive the car when we get it in next week, pay the additional $800 and it's yours." I walked out...told them I can wait.

I was at Hopkins and they had one on the lot. The sales guy told me this one just came in and it was available. After 30 minuetes of talking, he "discovers" the car is in fact not available, but if I want to pay sticker for a car, he'll find whatever I want.

Even going through my Credit Union Car Store, they were only able to find one dealership willing to take $300 under MSRP and that's with a May delivery! One of the Internet managers was only willing to go $200 off.

Has anyone tried Costco Auto Sales?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Try Los Gatos, they gave me $500 off in Feb, delivery one week ago.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:05 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

I did try Costco Auto and I spoke with Steven's Creek. They were willing to give $500 off Navi/Auto system....that's not much!
Old 03-31-2004, 07:19 PM
Acura/Honda Fan

TMV - The Problem is that the Edmunds site doesn't have a button that says "Buy Now".

TMV takes an average purchase price from RL Polk DMV registration information. The prices you are getting are simple economics - No Inventory = MSRP. I'm waiting until the dust settles to buy my anthracite navi.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:21 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

So when's the dust gonna settle?...Come April?...End of Summer?...
Old 03-31-2004, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Talking when Inifinit and Lexus come up with their answers to the TL

prices inj the Bay Area for the Navi models and especially those with 6-spd will be very difficult to have unless your willing to pay sticker and wait...

I don't see any comparable models from Infiniti and Lexus against the TL

The European models are more expensive.

I was looking at the G35 coupe and the IS-300 Sport model but still ended up deciding to go with the TL.

Who knows, maybe when the new G35 Coupe comes out (hopefully redesigned) and with a much better interior or the Lexus IS-300 Sport has a much stronger engine (215HP, not even close to the TL), I might, just might reconsideer again.

but then again........

decisions, decisions...
Old 04-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those of you that bought recently:

Is MSRP (or whatever price you negotiate to and quote here) the 'out-the-door' price, or are dealers sticking you with a bunch of extra fees (documentation fee, prep fee, etc.). I know you've gotta do taxes, title and registration, but I'd be curious to hear if they are trying to squeeze that little extra bit out in the current market. I wouldn't be surprised....

David
Old 04-01-2004, 04:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was pricing out an '04 TL more than a few places told me that NAVI = MSRP plus 4-6 week wait.

5AT offered the best price, I got mine for $350 over invoice plus mud guards. Of course state tax is added to this but dmv fees were included (normally $40-50). This was an end of month price, the best time to do a deal.

I did not get a 6mt price but they did say that every color was in stock for both the non-navi 5AT and 6SP. In-stock and end of month = the best deals
Old 04-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Team SSM driver

I bought my silver/ebony NAVI 5AT from Los Gatos & paid full price, $35,195. I called 13 dealers & no one had anything in stock & Los Gatos had one coming in the next day.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Advanced

I got mine from Steven Creek last Oct 2, the week that 04TLs are coming in to the lot. So, I possibly was the first customer got a 04TL out the lot at Steven Creek. Mine was a show room car, NAVI, deck lit spoiler, aero kits all around, and they try to sell me the accessories at double prices. I just took what I mentioned above, and the final price was at MSRP of everything plus about 200 over, guess that would be count toward the installation of the aero and spoiler. So, to me that's okay to be the first owner on the road, that I did not meet another TL like 4 weeks after delivery of mine.

Anyway, don't buy any accessories when you take delivery of yours, buy it afterward on the internet sites and install yourself is a lot cheaper.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FS-TL
Anyway, don't buy any accessories when you take delivery of yours, buy it afterward on the internet sites and install yourself is a lot cheaper.
I second this...If you don't want to install the accessories yourself, have your dealer's service dept. install them. That is STILL cheaper than the salesman's prices.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Bay Area TL drivers..what's going on here? Have you guys been visiting the dealership? I know you have!? Any good news on prices lately? Recommendations on what dealerships? Im looking to buy a NBP or Anthracite w/ Nav soon! By any chance, did anyone order their TL out of state and get it delivered to them? (Of course because you could get a really good deal out of state) I am in the Bay Area and was wondering if this actually happens. All suggestions / experiences welcomed!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

I got mind last week....total wait time.....1 week..

I got a white, NAV/Auto. Didn't have to pay MSRP, and got the Protection package, touch up paint (just in case), key chain, and a few oil changes for free....

I used acura.com, look up all acura dealers in Northern California, and e-mail every one that has a price quote option through the internet. I specifically said on my e-mail I refuse to pay MSRP, only a few replied, but I did get what I want within a reasonable wait time. I just tinted my car today and installed the clear bra as well.

PM me if you want my sales' contact info....
Old 04-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Instructor

When it comes down to it, all sales want to meet in person to try to make a deal, so responses through the internet can't be all that great.....

On my e-mail, I was up front and said I was ready to buy if they have what I want at the price I want......no games and no wasting each others' time. It worked for me.....good luck!!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

awesome moodie, thanks..just PMed you.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Instructor

When I picked up my TL yesterday, my saleman said that they are no longer discounting the car as much as end of last year (when I negotiated the price and placed the order) because of the demand, especially those equiped with the NAVI. The 6MT+NAVI are all build-to-order, and the wait is 3 months.

My saleman will take $500 off MSRP for NAVI cars, PM me if you want the dealer and saleman info.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"As much as last year end"? I bought in mid Dec and did not get any discount.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joganjani
"As much as last year end"? I bought in mid Dec and did not get any discount.
My saleman was referring to my discount. My wife is GOOD at negotiation, and we got a reasonable discount.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:54 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Alvon, I tried hard. Had been in the dealership for more than 3 hours. However, 2 buyers were standing in the line to test drive and buy my NBP. Hence, I gave in and bought it with protection package for free. I'm hell of a negotiator but the time was not right I guess.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Back in late November, the dealer and the saleman were willing to negotiate, maybe because it had been raining quite a bit the previous weeks.

Anyway, the dealer is less willing to negotiate now, but a few hundred off is still possible.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:35 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

moodie, which dealer did you go to?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Bobz

Cool Dealing at the Dealership

Originally Posted by Moodie
When it comes down to it, all sales want to meet in person to try to make a deal, so responses through the internet can't be all that great.....

On my e-mail, I was up front and said I was ready to buy if they have what I want at the price I want......no games and no wasting each others' time. It worked for me.....good luck!!
I am trying to buy a car today at Concord Acura and the dealer is reluctant to quote over the phone in fear I will run to another dealership, even though I have gotten quotes from other dealers - A non-nav unit with AT for $ 32,000. Doesn't seem like that great a deal since the lot is filled with non-nav units.
Old 04-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Instructor

Serramonte

Originally Posted by Lore
moodie, which dealer did you go to?
Old 04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

maybe we should be purchasing the vehicles on the weekday so we won't be ,mobbed by "people waiting to test drive and buy the car"..dang..will you guys STOP buying TLs already ! =P
Old 04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Bobz

New Purchase

Originally Posted by TL_2004_CA
maybe we should be purchasing the vehicles on the weekday so we won't be ,mobbed by "people waiting to test drive and buy the car"..dang..will you guys STOP buying TLs already ! =P
Well, I purchased an Redondo Red 5AT non-nav last night at Concord Acura, for $ 31,700.00 plus a free car cover and protection package. Took four hours to negotiate deal including a laborious completion of financial data which was a waste of time since I was already pre-qualified. They wanted me to reveal the quotes I previously got over internet but I told them I did not have them on me, but verbally told them they were between 30,500-32,000 which was in the ballpark. Since they had my car and no trade-in, they didn't haggle too much and I came in about $ 800.00 less than my drop dead price. They re-iterated to me that there was no negotiation on nav units, so in effect, anybody who wants those cars is paying a huge premium. It might pay to wait until Acura catches up with demand for nav cars.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:03 PM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Congratulations Bobzmcishl!

I actually have an Anthracite/Quartz 6MT with NAV on order at Concord Acura! Placed my deposit 1st week of Feb. and agreed to barely $300 off MSRP. Checked yesterday and my delivery date is now pushed back to April 26. Also, can't get a VIN # from them yet.....who did you deal with last night?
Old 04-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfroilan

I actually have an Anthracite/Quartz 6MT with NAV on order at Concord Acura! Placed my deposit 1st week of Feb. and agreed to barely $300 off MSRP. Checked yesterday and my delivery date is now pushed back to April 26. Also, can't get a VIN # from them yet.....who did you deal with last night?
That's not bad. I did hear horror story where dealer will agree below MSRP, take your money, and not give you your VIN#. Reason? They can still sell the car for MSRP, so even if your car is in, they'll sell to someone else who is willing to pay MSRP first (That's why no VIN # for you)....then wait till demand drops, and then give you your car at a small discount.

Dealer knows exactly what's coming in, so if I were you, I'd ask them to give you your VIN or you're going to take your business somewhere else...
Old 04-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Bobz

Cool

Originally Posted by pfroilan

Anthracite is the in color right now on a lot of cars. It really looks nice on the vette, although they call it something else. I dealt with Kenneth Bowlus who is new to their staff but a real nice guy. I love the six speed on Acura/Honda cars. I drove the S2000, Honda Accord Coupe, and TSX and they all have the same transmission. Very smooth. Unfortunately, my wife has a problem with manuals, so I am stuck with an AT, but hey the car is great anyway. I got to dealership last night at 5:30pm and did not get out of there until after 10pm. Now I get to read the 200 page manual & maybe start ordering some Acura accessories that the dealer wanted too much money for. Good luck on your car.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:35 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Moodie!

That's what I was thinking they might be doing too. They're supposed to get me my VIN # by next week, even though they said the build date was anywhere from April 6 - 10. They wouldn't even give me a firm build date!! If I don't get a VIN # by next week, I'm getting my deposit back! :ar15:
Old 04-13-2004, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Bobzmcishl
Anthracite is the in color right now on a lot of cars. It really looks nice on the vette, although they call it something else. I dealt with Kenneth Bowlus who is new to their staff but a real nice guy. I love the six speed on Acura/Honda cars. I drove the S2000, Honda Accord Coupe, and TSX and they all have the same transmission. Very smooth. Unfortunately, my wife has a problem with manuals, so I am stuck with an AT, but hey the car is great anyway. I got to dealership last night at 5:30pm and did not get out of there until after 10pm. Now I get to read the 200 page manual & maybe start ordering some Acura accessories that the dealer wanted too much money for. Good luck on your car.

Thanks Bobzmcishl! I can't wait to start reading MY 200 page manual Maybe I'll see you driving around since I work in Walnut Creek!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
10th Gear

Cheaper to buy in midwest and drive to CA?

Based on what I am reading in these posts, wouldn't be cheaper for those who are shopping in CA for a TL to buy from some other state since prices are much lower and drive it back home to CA?
Old 04-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Team Anthracite Chairman

Originally Posted by dmluds
Based on what I am reading in these posts, wouldn't be cheaper for those who are shopping in CA for a TL to buy from some other state since prices are much lower and drive it back home to CA?

That sounds right, but I haven't heard of anyone around here buying out of state...anyone with out-of-state buying experiences?...any shared stories would be greatly appreciated! :clown:
Old 04-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Team Anthracite Chairman

So are people in the bay area not buying TLs anymore or what?...It's been kinda quiet w/ regard to buying in the bay area! So it's still tough or have any of you "seen the light"...please post your experiences!

Thanks
Old 04-20-2004, 06:17 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys, one suggestion. Go down to LA. I did.

I was at a dealership on Christmas eve at 12:00PM, and very luckily, they had a 6MT, w/Navi, Anthracite, Ebony in stock. The original person who placed the order backed out. By 5:00PM that day, I drove the car home, paying $34,300.

You will get a better deal down there, then drive the car up to the bay area.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM
Bobz

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jtruman
Hey guys, one suggestion. Go down to LA. I did.

I was at a dealership on Christmas eve at 12:00PM, and very luckily, they had a 6MT, w/Navi, Anthracite, Ebony in stock. The original person who placed the order backed out. By 5:00PM that day, I drove the car home, paying $34,300.

You will get a better deal down there, then drive the car up to the bay area.
I heard the same thing from an auto broker. He quoted me a price and told me that he buys all of his TL's from Southern California, where they are about $ 1,000 cheaper for whatever reason. Might be easier to find nav units down there.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:22 AM
Advanced

i originally wanted to get a 6MT Navi back in feb but i could not located one anywhere in nocal or socal. i even tried vegas. nada. and ordering one from the factory was a 3 month lead time - minimum. i've heard stories where people were waiting up to 6 months. so i decided to go w/o navi and i got my silver 6MT from Concord for $32k +fees. i also got the protection package as well as the HPT included. i made the deal over the phone and just went to pick it up. including an extensive test drive on the actual car i was buying and all the paperwork, i was there for roughly 3-4 hrs on a sunday afternoon.

hope this helps potential buyers in nocal

Quick Reply: TL price in Bay Area