3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 05:40 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, Fully refrundable WITHIN 60 days, That makes sense!

OK, we can all read the contract now. It does CLEARLY state a refundable period (60 days). If you don't use the contract within that time period, it's 100% refundable. Seeing as how these are all NEW cars and therefore the original warranty covers them for 4 years or 50K, this contract is NOT refundable if not used. Initial poster was simply mis-reading his contract... Man, would I like to sign him up for a few gym subscriptions...
Old 12-26-2003, 06:30 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Huskerfan, the ACura care is NOT a bumper to bumper warranty! I have it on my '00 AND I posted the link to the whole text of it in an earlier post. If it WAS a bumper to bumper, what would be left for the more expensive version to cover and why would it be offered? Acura care is an extende service contract that covers many, many parts of the car. I had a SRS component go out @ 54K, that wasn't covered, but Goodson Acura covered it on a goodwill basis. Otherwise it would've been $254 out of pocket. Re-read your contract, especially teh "what's not covered" part. Definitely not bumper to bumper.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by fast-tl
Huskerfan, the ACura care is NOT a bumper to bumper warranty! I have it on my '00 AND I posted the link to the whole text of it in an earlier post. If it WAS a bumper to bumper, what would be left for the more expensive version to cover and why would it be offered? Acura care is an extende service contract that covers many, many parts of the car. I had a SRS component go out @ 54K, that wasn't covered, but Goodson Acura covered it on a goodwill basis. Otherwise it would've been $254 out of pocket. Re-read your contract, especially teh "what's not covered" part. Definitely not bumper to bumper.
By bumper to bumper, I mean the same as the 4 yr 50K factory warranty. Wear and Tear items are excluded on both the factory and the extended warranties. The more expensive version covers the same things but is fully refundable if you don't make any warranty claims. Hence the difference in cost. I'm not positive about this but I think safety devices (seat belts, Air Bags (SRS) are required by federal regulation to be covered for the life of the vehicle by the manufacturer. I know I've had seat belt mechanisms repaired at no cost even after the car was out of warranty. So your dealer may have said they covered on a goodwill basis but may have been required to fix it free anyway.

Go to the link posted earlier for Curry Acura. I think it has an Acura Care warranty displayed there. It clearly states it is an extension of the factory warranty and covers everything (including Acura installed accessories) and has a paragraph that show the wear and tear items that are excluded (tires, belts, brake pads, wipers, trim, etc.) Those are the same things that are not covered under the factory warranty. However, Acura dealers have been known to repair things and claim they are doing it for you as a good customer. My 2003 had the infamous rotor problem and the dealer replaced the front brake pads and refinished the rotors and told me it was under warranty. I know the reason they did it was because Acura had admitted they were having a problem with brake rotors and probably had issued a tech bulletin on the rotor problem.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I called Acura Customer Service and Acura Care and they both informed me that the Acura Care Warranty was an extension of the factory warranty and covered all the same items. However, I will pull the Acura Care Extended Warranty on my 2003 and read it again.

Sorry for rambling, but I've posted much of this information several times before.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:26 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally posted by huskerfan
By bumper to bumper, I mean the same as the 4 yr 50K factory warranty. Wear and Tear items are excluded on both the factory and the extended warranties. The more expensive version covers the same things but is fully refundable if you don't make any warranty claims. Hence the difference in cost.
What is this "more expensive version" of the extended warranty that you make reference to?

Is the one that brucedeb1 gave me NOT the expensive version?
Old 12-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

Acura Care warranty

Lore....I was not offered a more expensive warranty. The one I got is the one that extends the factory one to 7/100K. It is a prorata refund policy. I read here that the more expensive one provides for a full refund. It probably is also from a third party vendor vs. Acura. Which may mean that they won't be around to cover let alone refund the policy if asked to.
Bruce
Old 12-26-2003, 08:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Acura Care warranty

Originally posted by brucedeb1
Lore....I was not offered a more expensive warranty. The one I got is the one that extends the factory one to 7/100K. It is a prorata refund policy. I read here that the more expensive one provides for a full refund. It probably is also from a third party vendor vs. Acura. Which may mean that they won't be around to cover let alone refund the policy if asked to.
Bruce
That's what I am thinking too...

I'll probably buy an extended warranty when I get my car.

But man... I am annoyed; the dealer I was supposed to buy the TL from only has one Anthracite/Ebony coming in January but there is one person ahead of me in line.

The other TL that I would consider is at a different dealer -- the Anthracite/Camel (which looks really good actually) but they are not budging much on the price.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:50 PM

Lore

Give my Dealer a try. I know if you tell them you are my friend they will honor the same deal that I got.
Good luck,
Bruce
Old 12-26-2003, 08:52 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Lore

Give my Dealer a try. I know if you tell them you are my friend they will honor the same deal that I got.
Good luck,
Bruce
You're in SoCal tho
Old 12-26-2003, 10:46 PM

Lore

I thought that I remembered you had been open to driving down here on an ealier post. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:48 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Re: Lore

Oh, I was in LA for about a week for business and that was when it might have worked out, but none of the dealers had one anyway

I thought that I remembered you had been open to driving down here on an ealier post. I could be wrong though.
Old 12-26-2003, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
fast-tl:

do you have an '04 TL? from your post, sounds like you live in dallas.....
Old 12-27-2003, 01:07 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have an '00, trying to convince the wife/household accountant on the '04. We do live in Big D. I have the Acura Care extended warranty, and people are saying it's an extension of the mfr warranty. It's not, really. If I take the car back after 2 yrs for any Airbag component, it'll be covered. If I take it back after 5 yrs, not all components are covered. That's not what I consider an extension of the mfr warranty. An extension to me means all the same covered items are still in effect. I've had bulb replaced on my '00 twice before 4/50 with no argument, though the Acura Care doesn't cover bulbs. Ao, in my view, it's not bumper-to-bumper, but it's pretty comprehensive. Basically bought it since my car has Navi. Would not buy it on teh new car. Cheaper to replace the components than spend the $1K up front and hope that something breaks so I can come out even, or ahead. I feel that on my car, the warranty will elapse befor I have use for it. I'm @ 80K on my '00 and I paid $2500 for it as a condition of the lender for doing the loan. Bought the car with 41K miles for $24K back in early '02.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Lore
What is this "more expensive version" of the extended warranty that you make reference to?

Is the one that brucedeb1 gave me NOT the expensive version?
I don't know the name but Gunn Acura in San Antonio offered it to me along with the Acura Care Warranty. As I said before, it was more expensive (several hundred dollars) and I understood the only difference was the refund if you didn't have a warranty claim. I also heard about this money back warranty from a friend of mine who bought one (wasn't on an Acura).
Old 12-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, fast-tl.... I too live in Dallas and have my TL on order (Jan 11 build date, end of Feb delivery). I have two choices for contracts....Acura Care or my credit union has an agreement for what they say is "warranty" extension. My only issue is acceptance by the dealer. With the Warranty Gold fiasco, I am leary about who I give my cash to. Excluding ACS, would someone offer some different choices of contract/warranty extensions? Thanks!
Old 12-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, fast-tl.... I too live in Dallas and have my TL on order (Jan 11 build date, end of Feb delivery). I have two choices for contracts....Acura Care or my credit union has an agreement for what they say is "warranty" extension. My only issue is acceptance by the dealer. With the Warranty Gold fiasco, I am leary about who I give my cash to. Excluding ACS, would someone offer some different choices of contract/warranty extensions? Thanks!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but when I bought my car the finance lady told me that the extended warranty is normally sold for approximately $2400.

I told her I would pay not a penny above $1100, and she declined, claiming that her cost on the warranty was $1100 + $120 that is taken out by Autonation, the owner of the dealership. This makes the total $1220.

However, after signing the paperwork for my car she supposedly talked to her manager and came out of the building right as I was about to leave to inform me that the manager would let her eat the $120 to sell me the warranty, which tells me that their cost is less than $1220 as she claims. No business in their right mind would try to sell me a product which would cause them to lose money, and I know that Stevens Creek Acura is not losing any money on that warranty.

However, I still have not decided on whether I want the warranty yet. I see someone bought theirs for $900 or so -- can they share the dealer information with us?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by Lore

normally sold for approximately $2400.

I told her I would pay not a penny above $1100, and she declined, claiming that her cost on the warranty was $1100 + $120 that is taken out by Autonation, the owner of the dealership. This makes the total $1220.

However, I still have not decided on whether I want the warranty yet. I see someone bought theirs for $900 or so -- can they share the dealer information with us?

I guess it all depends on the dealership you deal with.

My dealer quoted me

7yr/100k/$0 deductible, about $1650.00
7yr/75 k/$0 deductible, about $1455.00

If I purchase this "genuine" Acura Care extended warranty after the original registration date of my TL,
up to 24 months/24k, no surcharges
up to 36 months/36k, $90 surcharges
up to 48 months/50k, $120 surcharges

Plus, 10% downpayment, 12 month 0% interest instalment.

(however, if we compare to other ppl's quote, this price is still too high...)

Also, what weeeg said seems very reasonable.

Originally posted by weeeg
Be careful and read the fine print.

If you sell the car via "private party" then you must pay $50 to transfer the extended warranty to the new owner.

If you sell (trade in) the car to a dealer then the warranty is
NOT transferrable. Not to the dealer, and not to the person the dealer sells it to. Your car will not be worth even one penny more (to the dealer) than if you didn't have the warranty.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Interesting. My dealer tried to sell me CostGuard from Protective, not from Acura. Seeing that it was a third party, I didn't investigate much further. I figured I had a year at least to think about it. My credit union also offered an extended warranty. I trust my credit union a whole lot more than car dealers, so I would consider that more.

However, if the warranty were through Acura I would probably consider it more.

So the warranty will be honored at any Acura dealer?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:47 PM
Intermediate

I paid $860 for mine. 100k, zero deductible.(it was supposed to be $50 deductible but when I got it in the mail it said $0 deductible). My warranty is thru Acura itself. My dealer told me that was cost but I have no idea if they were telling the truth or not.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by carneye
I paid $860 for mine. 100k, zero deductible.(it was supposed to be $50 deductible but when I got it in the mail it said $0 deductible). My warranty is thru Acura itself. My dealer told me that was cost but I have no idea if they were telling the truth or not.

This is the lowest so far, I guess. The previous record was set by Donte99TL, $900, everyone tries to beat that number.

To technogeek, if your warranty is directly from Acura Care, Honda Finance, this will be honored by all Acura dealers in states.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Instructor

Be very careful with any third party warranties. Many of these outfits aren't even located in the US - many are down in the Bahamas and they are noted for going bankrupt and sticking the dealers and customers. Stick with Factory extended warranties only to be safe.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Pro

Re: TL Extended Warranty

Originally posted by mrpete
What are your thoughts on the 50,000 mile warranty?

I put tons o' miles on a car. I've been quoted $1,749 to bump the 50k warranty to 100k. I think it is well worth this for the 'factory' warranty. Espec. with a 6spd/navigation........

Thoughts?
How can it possibly be worth it??? Do you really expect to have over $2,000 of non-routine repairs on your TL in the 100,000K miles? If I kept this car for so long, I would not expect to exceed $700 in such repairs.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Warranty purchase eligibility

This seems to be one of the classic ways the finance guy tries to getcha. According to this link, the warranty can be extended any time during the original manufacturer's warranty period.

http://www.hondafinancialservices.co.../new_acura.asp
Old 01-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: TL Extended Warranty

Originally posted by dulnev
How can it possibly be worth it??? Do you really expect to have over $2,000 of non-routine repairs on your TL in the 100,000K miles? If I kept this car for so long, I would not expect to exceed $700 in such repairs.
I had a 98 Honda with a 100K extended warranty (approx $600).
The transmission went out at 98K to the tune of approximately $3500. Best $600 I ever spent. Check out some of the repair cost for things like Transmissions, A/C Compressors, etc. One major repair can be as much as your warranty cost. In addition, you get trip interruption insurance and other Acura benefits with the Acura Care extended warranty.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: TL Extended Warranty

I had a 98 Honda with a 100K extended warranty (approx $600).
The transmission went out at 98K to the tune of approximately $3500. Best $600 I ever spent. Check out some of the repair cost for things like Transmissions, A/C Compressors, etc. One major repair can be as much as your warranty cost. In addition, you get trip interruption insurance and other Acura benefits with the Acura Care extended warranty.
Of course there are going to be people who get more out of the insurance policy than what they paid for it. But ON AVERAGE, the expected value of repairs to the TL during the first 100K miles are significantly below $1,000.

How do I know? Because you can get the same extended warranty for $1,100. This amount includes the profits for both Acura and dealership that sells the policy as well as various administratrive costs associated with offering the policy. This means that the expected repairs are probably around $500-700.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: TL Extended Warranty

Of course there are going to be people who get more out of the insurance policy than what they paid for it. But ON AVERAGE, the expected value of repairs to the TL during the first 100K miles are significantly below $1,000.

How do I know? Because you can get the same extended warranty for $1,100. This amount includes the profits for both Acura and dealership that sells the policy as well as various administratrive costs associated with offering the policy. This means that the expected repairs are probably around $500-700.
ON AVERAGE, if you have one foot on fire and the other in ice water you should be perfectly comfortable.

No seriously...if repairs average $500-$700 over a 7 year/100K period than the extra cost of the $1100 warranty would be $400-$600 for the additional 3 Year/50K protection. In addition, you get the extra benefits I mentioned earlier (trip interruption,etc.). I know it's an individual choice, but if you are planning on keeping the car for 7 years or 100K miles, the peace of mind might be worth the extra $133-$200/year cost. I think this is especially true with a new generation car with the amount of electronics the TL has.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TL Extended Warranty

I know it's an individual choice, but if you are planning on keeping the car for 7 years or 100K miles, the peace of mind might be worth the extra $133-$200/year cost.
Yes, it very well might be, especially if we're talking about a particularly risk-averse individual, or an individual who had a very expensive out-of-warranty repair in the past.

But my original comments were directed to an inquiry of individual who thought it was worth paying over $1,700, which translates into over $2,000, if you count foregone interest on this money, if it were put in a CD for 5 years. THAT is clearly a waste of money!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TL Extended Warranty

Yes, it very well might be, especially if we're talking about a particularly risk-averse individual, or an individual who had a very expensive out-of-warranty repair in the past.

But my original comments were directed to an inquiry of individual who thought it was worth paying over $1,700, which translates into over $2,000, if you count foregone interest on this money, if it were put in a CD for 5 years. THAT is clearly a waste of money!
I understand your logic. I was basing my numbers on your $1100 quote minus your estimate of average repairs. I don't know why anyone would pay more than $1120 since they can get that online from Mission Viejo Acura .
Old 01-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I have tried to get a quote from Curry Acura, but it is not sending me an e-mail with the promo code. Does anyone know what the promo code is?