Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The TL Diet Videos

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_B
My nearest track is 45 minutes away. I pay $20 to run and I'm usually lucky to 4 runs over the course a four hour period. I also need to get there an hour early to get through tech quickly. I've also raced at Heartland Park Topeka which is 1.5 hours away and also at MOKan which is 3 hours away. The excuse that it's too far to drive is a weak one.

You're argument is both common and amusing. Most street racers will spend hours combing the streets looking for a race all the while burning through a lot of fuel. Point being the cost and time argument isn't really valid to most anyone that lives in a metro area and has access a track.
Have you ever considered the danger in driving 45 minutes to a track? You might hit a pedestrian whos crossing the road, or it might start to rain terribly and you may lose vision or control and drive into a poll. I think its highly irresponsible to drive 45 minutes for no 'purpose' you should only drive to and from work and go the speed limit. Leisure driving is dangerous and I think it sets a bad example for others on this board. Point being, your being reckless and endangering other's around you by driving 45 - 90 minutes. Try to use your head a little more and remember, your not the only one on the road!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
My nearest track is 45 minutes away. I pay $20 to run and I'm usually lucky to 4 runs over the course a four hour period. I also need to get there an hour early to get through tech quickly. I've also raced at Heartland Park Topeka which is 1.5 hours away and also at MOKan which is 3 hours away. The excuse that it's too far to drive is a weak one.

You're argument is both common and amusing. Most street racers will spend hours combing the streets looking for a race all the while burning through a lot of fuel. Point being the cost and time argument isn't really valid to most anyone that lives in a metro area and has access a track.
Your points are always understood. The thing I hate the most is the typical 18yr old in a riced out Civic racing weaving in and out through traffic. I've caught those guys and let's say it's not likely they will ever race on public streets again.

However, a 50 yr old guy it's assumed that he's mature enough to not do anything stupid. As others brought up, what's the difference in opening it up by yourself or with someone next to you as long as you both know when to shut it down. Are you saying you should never go wide open even by yourself?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by justinl401
Have you ever considered the danger in driving 45 minutes to a track? You might hit a pedestrian whos crossing the road, or it might start to rain terribly and you may lose vision or control and drive into a poll. I think its highly irresponsible to drive 45 minutes for no 'purpose' you should only drive to and from work and go the speed limit. Leisure driving is dangerous and I think it sets a bad example for others on this board. Point being, your being reckless and endangering other's around you by driving 45 - 90 minutes. Try to use your head a little more and remember, your not the only one on the road!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh, hey now I'm not what you think. I don't go around purposely looking to street race, EVER. Here is what I mean, I was going to work, at around 9:30pm, streets are pretty clean, no traffic at all. A scion tc rolls up next to me, gives me a look and guns it, do you think I'll just keep going 40 and let it slide? Nahh, I go after him, we race from a light and the race is shut down by 60mph-80mph, in traffic times like lunch/school/dinner(work), I never race. So yeah I don't waste fuel looking or time, that's why my "excuse" isn't weak. Props to you driving so far, I guess making a lot more money then a 17 year old does helps you a ton eh?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
However, a 50 yr old guy it's assumed that he's mature enough to not do anything stupid. As others brought up, what's the difference in opening it up by yourself or with someone next to you as long as you both know when to shut it down. Are you saying you should never go wide open even by yourself?
The difference is he's doing this in traffic and he's racing with another car. A lot more can go wrong when you've got two parties involved. Each driver is putting faith in the other that they can control their car. At the strip, you're separated from the other car by about 20'. On the street, it's around 4 to 6 feet. One little miscue by either or both parties and it can be deadly for them, other drivers, and pedestrians.

Yes, I'm no saint. I do romp on it on occasion when coming down clear entrance ramps, clear exit ramps, or when I might be somewhere remote, but I rarely exceed the speed limit by more than 5 mph. There is a big difference, from a legal standpoint, between racing another car and just driving a bit aggressive by yourself when the road is clear. If you're street racing and the other party wrecks and gets killed or you/they kill someone while racing you go to jail for manslaughter, if you're lucky. Some jurisdictions are charging racers with 2nd degree murder if a non-racing party is killed. Welcome to Texas.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
The difference is he's doing this in traffic and he's racing with another car. A lot more can go wrong when you've got two parties involved. Each driver is putting faith in the other that they can control their car. At the strip, you're separated from the other car by about 20'. On the street, it's around 4 to 6 feet. One little miscue by either or both parties and it can be deadly for them, other drivers, and pedestrians.

Yes, I'm no saint. I do romp on it on occasion when coming down clear entrance ramps, clear exit ramps, or when I might be somewhere remote, but I rarely exceed the speed limit by more than 5 mph. There is a big difference, from a legal standpoint, between racing another car and just driving a bit aggressive by yourself when the road is clear. If you're street racing and the other party wrecks and gets killed or you/they kill someone while racing you go to jail for manslaughter, if you're lucky. Some jurisdictions are charging racers with 2nd degree murder if a non-racing party is killed. Welcome to Texas.
Just let it be. You are saying some true words, but you have never lived in Houston. I'm sure innacurate has complete control of his car, but those 6.7 liter diesel trucks don't which is EVERYWHERE, oh yeah, I forgot with their 40" tires.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate

CLEAN RACE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQVJzHW3Qz0

The MazdaSpeed3 had a boner to add a TL to his kill list.

I knew he was going to race with me because I saw his hot-foot driving style from behind me moments before reaching the turn. He laid into it as he made the turn. I did not need to entice him at all. He had plans already to “teach me a lesson”.

Remember that this race is going up an incline. The incline causes the pull to happen in slow motion compare to level ground.

I will say that his car did a respectable job.
that logo on the back end sure does look like "mazdaspeed3" to me. but

DAMN, I was saying "oooh baller, baller, baller!" out loud the entire race!!! LOL
Old 10-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Dave, seriously I wouldn't believe my grandma if she told me she rarely exceeds the speed limit by more then 5mph. You have great points in all your posts but I just don't believe this.

Everyone and I mean everyone speeds by more then 5mph, sometimes they just don't realize it.

And damn Texas is harsh on speeders!! But that's the way it should be in every state. A rich kid in NY smashed his Ferrari killing his passenger back in like 2004. All he got was 3 years in jail and some probation. City of Syracuse was outraged by the judges decision and I bet money had something to do with the decision.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

I choose where to speed. There's a road I occasionally take when I have to commute to a field site for work that is flat and straight. You've got a mile of visibility and nothing but sand as far as the eye can see on either side. I rarely pass another car. I will cruise happily at 120mph down that road as the only one in danger is myself and it's 20 miles of boredom.

However in the city, there are some streets I'll do 5 under the speed limit because they are known areas that people pull out into traffic with no room to spare and get hit.

I feel safer at 120 on the deserted road than in the city doing 5mph under.

You have really good points and I'm the first person to hunt a "racer" down for racing in traffic. I almost went to jail when I watched two Hondas blow a redlight that had been red for 15 seconds and nearly kill my girlfriend that had a green light. If the cops weren't there to pull me off I probably wouldn't be here typing this.

But what Inaccurate is doing is basically getting up to the speed limit quickly and on a freeway at that with no stop lights. I understand you have no control over what the other driver does and that's where it gets scary and that's why I usually turn down races with the younger crowd.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I choose where to speed. There's a road I occasionally take when I have to commute to a field site for work that is flat and straight. You've got a mile of visibility and nothing but sand as far as the eye can see on either side. I rarely pass another car. I will cruise happily at 120mph down that road as the only one in danger is myself and it's 20 miles of boredom.

However in the city, there are some streets I'll do 5 under the speed limit because they are known areas that people pull out into traffic with no room to spare and get hit.

I feel safer at 120 on the deserted road than in the city doing 5mph under.

You have really good points and I'm the first person to hunt a "racer" down for racing in traffic. I almost went to jail when I watched two Hondas blow a redlight that had been red for 15 seconds and nearly kill my girlfriend that had a green light. If the cops weren't there to pull me off I probably wouldn't be here typing this.

But what Inaccurate is doing is basically getting up to the speed limit quickly and on a freeway at that with no stop lights. I understand you have no control over what the other driver does and that's where it gets scary and that's why I usually turn down races with the younger crowd.
Whoa??? About that Honda race, did you make a thread of that?? Sounds interesting.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ineedmyfixofacura
Whoa??? About that Honda race, did you make a thread of that?? Sounds interesting.
Many years ago. Back when I was 22 and more of a hot head.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:45 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
wait, youre not a hot head now?

jk