Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL=Race car

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 11:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Sorry, but just forgot to add ECS before S/C, but the 638HP Vette is stock!!! How can one compare any stock car with a one that has been modified regardless of the vehicle or cost?
A stock daily driver that handles great and obtains great fuel economy to one that is described as unstable and hard to handle……Big difference.

Both drivers were off limits, but we wouldn’t even discussing the matter if the TL driver wasn’t some want to be race car driver, similar to what we see every day on the road.

I've gone 7 second in the ¼ but still get some enjoyment out of beating some nutcase that thinks he’s king of the road. Doesn’t happen very often anymore as I very rarely don’t drive the car and just tend to ignore the ignorant.

Everyone has their own opinions and this will be like religion and politics, never will we have a meeting of the minds.
So you're honestly going to say there's nothing exciting about taking down a ZR1 but racing a 15 second car is fun? It doesn't count because my car is modded? So the turbo TLs taking out M5s and Vettes don't count because they're modified. One TL with a CAI beating another TL that's stock doesn't count because one was modded. It all sounds like excuses. I don't bring up the fact that my car cost $3,600 or that I'm down 2 cylinders on a supercharged V8 because that would just be making excuses. Instead of excuses I choose to mod the car. Beat me once, I'll probably be quicker the next time we race.

Don't take what I said about my car out of context. It corners very well for what it is and it is very stable for what it is. It cruises very nice and smooth, the ride is great. However, when at full power it's a handful just like any 720 crank hp 3,000lb car is. You don't just put the pedal to the floor and steer, there's a hell of a lot more to it just like there is in any car of the same power and weight. I also get 28mpg on the freeway so lets not make more excuses.

If $100,000 doesn't buy enough car to beat a cheap 1984 6 cylinder car with light mods, mod it and race again. Nothing against the Vette, it's one of my all time favorites and has a place secured in automotive history. I'm surprised you act this way about it. It sounds a lot like jealousy, I don't know any other way to put it. You know what they say about excuses.

Your only exception is if the other guy thinks he's the quickest ever so remember to ask him if hes the quickest ever before racing or it doesn't count. I would say there's a good chance the ZR1 driver was not expecting to get beat by an old 80s car but what do I know, mine is modded.

So remember, if one of these turbo TLs take down a ZR1 (which at least 2 of them probably can from a roll), don't celebrate because you've accomplished nothing since you're modded. Remember everyone, the only races you can get excited about and the only ones that count are stock to stock. Modded cars cant race. If you lose a race you must trade in your car and buy a different car thats capable of winning without mods. I hope that sounds a little ridiculous to you.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vidur Chengappa
Lol freeway hero's. I love the story. No vids no pics no nothing. Anyone can tell a story. Its all bull until I see some proof. That being said it just seems like two douche bags got a hold of two nice cars. I love how driving from light to light is a measure of how awesome a car is. Suspension geometry is lost to idiots like this.

Remember guys, an engineer in R&D weeps every time some idiot buys a car based on 0-60 times. :P
I don't think this was aimed at me but for what it's worth, I used to track the TL at Willow and the GN has most of the money tied up in suspension work front and rear. It takes proper geometry, namely pinion angle to hook and a bit of work to make the car predictable under power so it's easier to handle on the street. Some of the most extensive suspension work I've ever seen has been on drag cars.

0-60 and 1/4 times are one of the most important factors in choosing a car if performance is the goal. Don't assume they're idiots because its not on your list. What kind of race takes up the majority of the kill section of any automotive forum? Straight line acceleration. I can enjoy a 600hp push in the back for a second or two on the way to work but I can't safely exploit the handling limits. All of the YouTube videos of cars that handle extremely well, are they racing on a course or is it an acceleration race in a straight line. How many Vette or Lambo owners have enjoyed the straight line acceleration here and there vs the ones that have taken them to their handling limits either on the street or at the track?

Like it or not, straight line contests are by far the most common and that's not because those drivers are less educated or can't take a corner.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Thanks.
No worries bud!
Old 09-03-2013, 01:13 PM
The Boss

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts
The following users liked this post:
AirForceFX (09-04-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Lol the poster sounds like just as much of a dick.

side note, my cars is a 13 seconds car so I am invulnerable to these 14 second car remarks! Haha!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vidur Chengappa
No worries bud!
Please don't take anything I said above as negative toward you. I probably come across the wrong way on the internet.

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
Lol the poster sounds like just as much of a dick.

side note, my cars is a 13 seconds car so I am invulnerable to these 14 second car remarks! Haha!
Lol. In your TL? Not bad! I sound like an old man but when I was 17 in the '90s and my car was running 12.9@110mph I went undefeated for over 5 years and that was up against nitrous and supercharged V8s. The competition has gotten much, much quicker, we're easily in the second muscle car era. My GN went 13.9@101 stock so your TL is probably quicker than my car was.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FCVadi
nothing really to do with this story but I just found out recently if you brake to get someone to back off or piss someone off.. and they hit you.. the person braking is held responsible since the police would term that as an "offensive" action

now that could be just PA but thought I would share...

on a side note on the story when he said White TL I was thinking was it me? then I read that they had a "FAST TL" plate.. whew... in 2009 I was an ass of a driver... today I am just a dick of a driver.. well when I am not lazy
I'm sure there are explanations you could come up with. Animal ran across the road, car in front of you hit their brakes. It would be hard to prove that it was done maliciously.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Please don't take anything I said above as negative toward you. I probably come across the wrong way on the internet.
Nah. Its all good. You're pretty factual with all your explanations which can come across as rude. I know cause I'm the exact same way. Facts can't be argued around so yeah I can see why some would call it negative or rude lol.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Lol. In your TL? Not bad! I sound like an old man but when I was 17 in the '90s and my car was running 12.9@110mph I went undefeated for over 5 years and that was up against nitrous and supercharged V8s. The competition has gotten much, much quicker, we're easily in the second muscle car era. My GN went 13.9@101 stock so your TL is probably quicker than my car was.
Nah, I've got a 3.0 accord 6spd sedan. 4" cai, PCD's, PnP runners, PnP intake manifold, Polished ZDX TB, 3" exhaust to dual 2.5", udp, and weight reduction. No 1/4 around here so I can't officially say it's a 13 second car, but I did run a 9.0 1/8th at 82.5 mph with a 2.3 60' and that was before ZDX TB and PnP manifold.

Last edited by NvrDwn; 09-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
So you're honestly going to say there's nothing exciting about taking down a ZR1 but racing a 15 second car is fun? It doesn't count because my car is modded? So the turbo TLs taking out M5s and Vettes don't count because they're modified. One TL with a CAI beating another TL that's stock doesn't count because one was modded. It all sounds like excuses. I don't bring up the fact that my car cost $3,600 or that I'm down 2 cylinders on a supercharged V8 because that would just be making excuses. Instead of excuses I choose to mod the car. Beat me once, I'll probably be quicker the next time we race.

Don't take what I said about my car out of context. It corners very well for what it is and it is very stable for what it is. It cruises very nice and smooth, the ride is great. However, when at full power it's a handful just like any 720 crank hp 3,000lb car is. You don't just put the pedal to the floor and steer, there's a hell of a lot more to it just like there is in any car of the same power and weight. I also get 28mpg on the freeway so lets not make more excuses.

If $100,000 doesn't buy enough car to beat a cheap 1984 6 cylinder car with light mods, mod it and race again. Nothing against the Vette, it's one of my all time favorites and has a place secured in automotive history. I'm surprised you act this way about it. It sounds a lot like jealousy, I don't know any other way to put it. You know what they say about excuses.

Your only exception is if the other guy thinks he's the quickest ever so remember to ask him if hes the quickest ever before racing or it doesn't count. I would say there's a good chance the ZR1 driver was not expecting to get beat by an old 80s car but what do I know, mine is modded.

So remember, if one of these turbo TLs take down a ZR1 (which at least 2 of them probably can from a roll), don't celebrate because you've accomplished nothing since you're modded. Remember everyone, the only races you can get excited about and the only ones that count are stock to stock. Modded cars cant race. If you lose a race you must trade in your car and buy a different car thats capable of winning without mods. I hope that sounds a little ridiculous to you.
THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! In my book one can have a modified vehicle that will beat any stock vehicle on the road as you've done. What's the big deal, a modified turbo V-6 with a lot of boost, so it would be a shame if you lost. At the track would you be in the same class as the Vette to prove who is better, not a chance. Guess I need to repeat myself, our minds will never agree, at least on this point.

Matt, if someone doesn't agree with you, your nasty/miserable side seems to surface and out comes the derogatory remarks, so as I've said in other threads where you've started, I'm done.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
Considering the average 0-60 for the majority of cars on the road is 8-10 seconds, I don't think there's anyway you could call a TL "slow". Obviously there are way faster cars, but most people on the road are driving 4 cyl Camrys, not Corvettes, so relative to the types of cars that most people actually drive, the TL is respectably quick.

It's so obnoxious how these racerboy douchbags consider any car that is only slightly less quick than their own to be a slow POS.
The following 4 users liked this post by splew:
3gstealth (09-06-2013), AZP-TL (09-08-2013), EvilVirus (09-03-2013), THEReeM718 (09-03-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Blue Skies

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by splew
Considering the average 0-60 for the majority of cars on the road is 8-10 seconds, I don't think there's anyway you could call a TL "slow". Obviously there are way faster cars, but most people on the road are driving 4 cyl Camrys, not Corvettes, so relative to the types of cars that most people actually drive, the TL is respectably quick.

It's so obnoxious how these racerboy douchbags consider any car that is only slightly less quick than their own to be a slow POS.
Werd.

Definitely rings true when a brand spanking new 2014 MS3 is $10-13K cheaper than my '08s MSRP. Definitely not saying that money should be the ultimate measuring stick, but at nearly $40K when it was released - I don't see the TL qualifying for the "POS" category.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by splew

I've been extremely happy with my TL. It's by far the most reliable car I've owned and it's done everything I've wanted it to do. It's one of the few large purchases that I have not had buyer's remourse on. I've owned it since Dec of '05 an could not think about getting rid of it even though I'm probably going to buy a new car in the next year or two. The TL will stay.

I'm not making excuses for the douches over there but maybe in some round about way the Mazda guys are proud to beat a car that they know (deep down) is a far superior car costing much more. It's odd that they would call it a POS though. Probably kids with cars the parents bought them. Probably immaturity and ignorance. I get pretty grumpy and look down on some of the immature stuff around here but I remember calling out all of the Vipers in So Cal on their own board and using insults to get them to set up races with me back in my early 20s. I used things like cost of my car vs theirs to get under their skin but I knew I was full of crap, I was just saying things to get them to race. I'm not sure if some of those Mazda guys are really that ignorant or just trying to be funny.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
THAT'S RIGHT!!!!! In my book one can have a modified vehicle that will beat any stock vehicle on the road as you've done. What's the big deal, a modified turbo V-6 with a lot of boost, so it would be a shame if you lost. At the track would you be in the same class as the Vette to prove who is better, not a chance. Guess I need to repeat myself, our minds will never agree, at least on this point.

Matt, if someone doesn't agree with you, your nasty/miserable side seems to surface and out comes the derogatory remarks, so as I've said in other threads where you've started, I'm done.
Thats a rediculous position. You do not see the merit in someone modifying a 30 year old sedan with 2 less cylinders with the intent on beating this years supercar? No one will ever agree with you on that point because its completely flawed logic. If thats your position you should never mod a car. Makes absolutely no sense
Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Fear not and make no mistake everyone! I, and I alone, have the biggest e-peen!

I don't care how many cylinders or pounds of boost you got!

My e-peen > yours.

/thread
The following 4 users liked this post by maharajamd:
AccordFlex (09-05-2013), AZP-TL (09-08-2013), EvilVirus (09-04-2013), justnspace (09-05-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts

i like this mazda guy
Old 09-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pohljm
Thats a rediculous position. You do not see the merit in someone modifying a 30 year old sedan with 2 less cylinders with the intent on beating this years supercar? No one will ever agree with you on that point because its completely flawed logic. If thats your position you should never mod a car. Makes absolutely no sense
You are clueless! You know nothing about me thank god! You have the right to think it rediculous, but let me say this, I have just completed an update on our 24 year old no piston rotary early this year and some yahoo in a CTSV 6 speed tried to show his superiority so needless to say it didn't happen. Now do I believe I have the greatest car that ever came along, no, it's modified against stock, maybe I'll bring out the modified 455 1970 FB, or better yet, Matt knows I have an NHRA comp license so maybe I should just bring that out.

As I said before, if you have a different opinion so be it, but don't give me any shit about my thoughts. I've never made any derogatory remarks about anyone or any thoughts in the thread, just my thoughts, but after reading this shit, I must say you are in the same category as he is, ignorant.
Completely clueless people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
So why did you race him in your modded car? Seems counterintuitive to your position. I didnt make any derogatory remarks i just pointed out your flawed logic. And you totally confirmed it with your story.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
When i saw this thread created I thought, wow this thread will be dead shortly after no one cares... my was I wrong.... opened a whole can of worms...
The following users liked this post:
S41N7 (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

You are clueless! You know nothing about me thank god! You have the right to think it rediculous, but let me say this, I have just completed an update on our 24 year old no piston rotary early this year and some yahoo in a CTSV 6 speed tried to show his superiority so needless to say it didn't happen. Now do I believe I have the greatest car that ever came along, no, it's modified against stock, maybe I'll bring out the modified 455 1970 FB, or better yet, Matt knows I have an NHRA comp license so maybe I should just bring that out.

As I said before, if you have a different opinion so be it, but don't give me any shit about my thoughts. I've never made any derogatory remarks about anyone or any thoughts in the thread, just my thoughts, but after reading this shit, I must say you are in the same category as he is, ignorant.
Completely clueless people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I chose not to reply to your last post but I can't let this one go. I said one negative remark toward you and it was that you're jealous. I think it fits but only you know for sure. What I don't understand is why it's ok for you to call people names (ignorant, clueless, etc) but you choose not to respond to my whole post because I said you were jealous. I thought you were out of here, do you have a problem keeping your word? Isn't "off to breakfast" your usual remark when you get pissed and can't take anymore? Then you go and insult me some more based off of what other people say. You're the epitome of the double standard.

Now you're talking about racing a CTS-V (probably the non supercharged older one) in your modded Mazda right after saying there's no point in doing modded vs stock? But wait, some "yahoo" tried to show his "superiority" so it's ok that you raced him. How do you know he's a "yahoo"? How do you know he was trying to show superiority? Maybe he's like me and its just a lot of fun. It seems like you have an inferiority complex. You don't like people challenging you and when they do you take it personally and it's your duty to show them youre superior. Take a look in the mirror once in a while.

Now you want to race me with your trailer queen? I've got no problem with that. If you were closer I would take you up on it in a heartbeat. You may not want to forget, there are 3 GNs and one Turbo T in the stable. My daily driver, the only one that I talk about is the second slowest next to the nearly factory stock Turbo T that goes 12.60s on low boost and its every day street tires. You're not the only one with more than one car.

In the end, you have a very flawed way of thinking about modded vs stock and you constantly contradict yourself. The whole superiority thing kind of weirds me out as well. It's a car. It's not important in the grand scheme of things. If you're basing your self worth on whether you win or lose or teach the other guy a lesson you have bigger problems than just a poor choice in cars. What would you do if you ran into a car like mine went to show me your superiority and saw nothing but tail lights? Would you need counciling afterwards? Win or lose I always have a blast.

Speaking of poor choice, since you felt the need to bring it up earlier, how's the mpg on that 455 powered FB? How does it handle with that big lump of iron over the front axle? I'm still on the stock crank block and rods, you have a Buick V8 in a Mazda and you want to talk about how modded mine is? Again, look in the mirror.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
That was kind of funny. I think the 335 driver was trying to lose the Mazda and when he couldn't he got pissed. It didn't look like tailgating, at least not from the portion of video it showed. That road is a lot of fun but I know people that ride bikes down it which is crazy.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Suzuka Master

I chose not to reply to your last post but I can't let this one go. I said one negative remark toward you and it was that you're jealous. I think it fits but only you know for sure. What I don't understand is why it's ok for you to call people names (ignorant, clueless, etc) but you choose not to respond to my whole post because I said you were jealous. I thought you were out of here, do you have a problem keeping your word? Isn't "off to breakfast" your usual remark when you get pissed and can't take anymore? Then you go and insult me some more based off of what other people say. You're the epitome of the double standard.

Now you're talking about racing a CTS-V (probably the non supercharged older one) in your modded Mazda right after saying there's no point in doing modded vs stock? But wait, some "yahoo" tried to show his "superiority" so it's ok that you raced him. How do you know he's a "yahoo"? How do you know he was trying to show superiority? Maybe he's like me and its just a lot of fun. It seems like you have an inferiority complex. You don't like people challenging you and when they do you take it personally and it's your duty to show them youre superior. Take a look in the mirror once in a while.

Now you want to race me with your trailer queen? I've got no problem with that. If you were closer I would take you up on it in a heartbeat. You may not want to forget, there are 3 GNs and one Turbo T in the stable. My daily driver, the only one that I talk about is the second slowest next to the nearly factory stock Turbo T that goes 12.60s on low boost and its every day street tires. You're not the only one with more than one car.

In the end, you have a very flawed way of thinking about modded vs stock and you constantly contradict yourself. The whole superiority thing kind of weirds me out as well. It's a car. It's not important in the grand scheme of things. If you're basing your self worth on whether you win or lose or teach the other guy a lesson you have bigger problems than just a poor choice in cars. What would you do if you ran into a car like mine went to show me your superiority and saw nothing but tail lights? Would you need counciling afterwards? Win or lose I always have a blast.

Speaking of poor choice, since you felt the need to bring it up earlier, how's the mpg on that 455 powered FB? How does it handle with that big lump of iron over the front axle? I'm still on the stock crank block and rods, you have a Buick V8 in a Mazda and you want to talk about how modded mine is? Again, look in the mirror.
I guess you didn't see that I highlighted the jealousy quote and I did respond so maybe you're just not a careful reader, and once again if you can read the threads in order, it was you that threw the first stone, which is the norm with your responses when some one doesn’t agree with you.

Once again I never said that racing a mod vs. stock was not to be, it was that the comparison between the two was ridiculous, which once again careful reading would help.

Never mentioned a race with you, maybe your imagination, but you can't even run in my class as you don't have a NHRA comp license, so the threat of a race is pointless, and the 455 FB handles great as it sits over modern suspension and the 455 Buick in the Mazda????????? Have no idea where that came from as earlier it’s stated it has the little rotary, again careful reading is required.

So why did you race him in your modded car? Seems counterintuitive to your position. I didnt make any derogatory remarks i just pointed out your flawed logic. And you totally confirmed it with your story.
Just to repeat if you don't want to read above, I never stated that racing mod vs. stock is rediculous, but the comparison between the two is the problem.
No derogatorty remarks? Guess you can’t remember what you stated:

This certainly has been quite a ride on the Forum as I've enjoyed it immensely, even with the every now and then confrontations, but as it seems to have derogated with age, as have I, there is no need for any more responses in this or any other thread, so I'm retiring. You guys win.

Last edited by Turbonut; 09-05-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
[QUOTE=Turbonut;14654031]

^^Internet Tough Guy
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
:inb4tl:
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Type Sour

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts
You guys should just race and call it a day...
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
shit I leave the forums for a couple weeks and I damn near missed out on this thread!

Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
[QUOTE=cpm06wdptl;14654740]

^^Internet Tough Guy
Not helping bro

Originally Posted by i_love_cars
shit I leave the forums for a couple weeks and I damn near missed out on this thread!

You should have seen the other thread that got lock up.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by THEReeM718
You guys should just race and call it a day...
We're too far away and both cars are modded so it doesn't count. Or maybe modded against modded counts, I don't know the rules. I can't drive mine anyway. I broke it when racing the ZR1 and I got it going again to race an 800hp Supra and then tore it down again. Since then I've run out of money and motivation. There's a bad ass cammed Z06 running around town and a newer Lambo that are starting to give me motivation to finish the car though. Probably not this year.