Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted glass (real window tint)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tinted glass (real window tint)

Like everyone else, I've had my windows tinted (35% Madico all around), and although my tinter did an excellent job, putting moleskin etc.......... there are a few small bubbles here and there. You don't see them unless you're close to the window but I know they're there and it bothers me.
I don't think I've ever seen a tint job without little flaws like that so I guess it's the nature of the beast. Am I right?

My question is, how come real aftermarket tinted windows like 35% don't exist? I mean the glass being tinted and not a film glued to it? Heck, SUVs have OEM dark rear windows so it's technically feasible. Is it a question of price? A question of demand? I wonder.

I'd be ready to pay much more for them than for a friggin' film over my stock windows, probably around $1,500 to have it done. No more film, no more bubbles, no more moleskin, no more contamination and a much superior result for sure.

What's your take on this? Would you do it? Just curious.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Cost of production, engineering would be outragious over demand.

The OEMs are produced on the hundreds of 1000s so its pro rated.

If it was all flat glass it wouldn't be that bad .. we used to do it years ago to get around the tint laws. Up here untill they caught on it was illegal to "apply" any form of tint to the inside or the outside surfaces of the windshield or windows from the drivers shoulders forward.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

I understand the issue of cost and I agree it could be prohibitive. I'm just puzzled that we're still relying on films and a very manual process to apply them. There's virtually no way to end up with a completely flawless result. Tinting shops are not dust free. I recognize that $200-$300 for doing the whole car is cheap but I'd be willing to pay more for a higher result.
What about coating/spraying tint directly on the windows as opposed to sticking a film? Any experience and feedback with this process?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Two things that bug me about the TL is NO factory tinted windows & that damn cassette in the stereo.

I see so many cars with aftermarket tints....with scratches, bubbles, etc. The extra care you have to give them when cleaning. Scared every time when you power down/up the windows...cross you fingers that they don't get scratched. So there is no way I'll get aftermarket tints. A very popular method in China, they use custom window curtains on the windows.

Factory tinted windows still use "tinted film"..the film is sandwhiched in between two pieces of glass....so this process has to be done at the glass factory.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Most states have laws on windowing tinting that don't let you tint the front windows or tint them very dark. It is why every suv out there does not have privacy glass on the front windows. It doesn't make since for an auto maker to have some cars with completely tinted windows and some not.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Like everyone else, I've had my windows tinted (35% Madico all around), and although my tinter did an excellent job, putting moleskin etc.......... there are a few small bubbles here and there. You don't see them unless you're close to the window but I know they're there and it bothers me.
I don't think I've ever seen a tint job without little flaws like that so I guess it's the nature of the beast. Am I right?

My question is, how come real aftermarket tinted windows like 35% don't exist? I mean the glass being tinted and not a film glued to it? Heck, SUVs have OEM dark rear windows so it's technically feasible. Is it a question of price? A question of demand? I wonder.

I'd be ready to pay much more for them than for a friggin' film over my stock windows, probably around $1,500 to have it done. No more film, no more bubbles, no more moleskin, no more contamination and a much superior result for sure.

What's your take on this? Would you do it? Just curious.
I hear you for sure but I sure as hell wouldn't be willing to part with a grand and a half for essentially the same effect. I paid 180 and they came out as close to perfect as I could expect!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
By the way almost every car out there actually does have tinted glass from the factory. Our cars come with 70% from the factory. Only really bargain-basement stripped cars don't have them (like a base Chevy Aveo or something)

The reason why cars don't have tint built into them like SUVs is not just because of cost. (Then SUVs would not have them) It's because of the varying state laws concerning them. States like Florida and New Mexico are lax. States like New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and much more strict. They can't make the glass in so many varying shades. They'd get a lot of trouble from lawmakers also. One of the main reasons law enforcement hate tint is because of criminal activity. If they pull you over, they feel more comfy if their floodlights can see through the car at night. If not they're all anxious and cautious comin at you with a flashlight and 1 hand near their belt.

SUVs have a higher viewing position so it's easier to see out of even if it's tinted and you are slightly visually impaired. Imagine if you were slightly visually impaired trying to look out of a low-slung coupe with a high bustle...Dangerous. If they were to tint a car with half tint like a SUV it would look weird. It looks OK to have an SUV tinted out all around but have the front 2 windows clear. Could you imagine a sedan or coupe like that from the factory? It would look really bad!

Another reason you don't see tint on cars from the factory, believe it or not, is because they realize that most people don't like tint. On an SUV with large expanses of glass, privacy, UV/glare is more desirable. (Have you been in a SUV or conversion van WITHOUT tint? I have, it's really weird on a sunny day!). On a regular car the primary reason people do it is for looks. But manufacturers rather give YOU the option on what you want to do or take the risk against the law. If they were tinted already you have no option but to go darker.

If you want to do the built-in tinted glass aftermarket it is of course available. Many glass companies out there can do this for you. It will cost you an arm and leg though because they would have to take out your original glass. They would make an exact custom copy of it cut and curved and need to install the new back in. We're talkin 4 figure price here. It would look nicer than tint film I'm sure. I don't think it would be enough of a difference to justify the ridiculous price difference though.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by limited
Most states have laws on windowing tinting that don't let you tint the front windows or tint them very dark. It is why every suv out there does not have privacy glass on the front windows. It doesn't make since for an auto maker to have some cars with completely tinted windows and some not.
I don't see why it would make more sense to have some cars with, for example, AWD and other without, or some with Navigation and others without. It's the same thing. Darker tinted windows could also be an option. Just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tinted windows > no tint.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
One of the main reasons law enforcement hate tint is because of criminal activity. If they pull you over, they feel more comfy if their floodlights can see through the car at night. If not they're all anxious and cautious comin at you with a flashlight and 1 hand near their belt.
I know that but it's still doesn't make sense. Guys carrying the guns can sit in the back where the windows are darker and the cops won't be able to see them through the window.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

You can get tinted glass for our cars. It's about $1,000 PER WINDOW though so yea, not worth it, right?