Sponsored by:

Tint Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 07:08 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint Nightmare

Get this...

I drive my brand spanking new '04 WDP/quartz/5AT/Navi/wing spoiler off the dealer's lot 5 days ago. Two days later (Saturday) I take it in to get 30% tint put throughout. 5 hours later I pick up the car. There was some bubbling in the tint and they said wait a week, park it outside and it will go away. In addition to that, the car had brutal water spots all over it. They tried to tell me it was from a sprinkler system, but guess again, it had only been at the dealers and in my garage! So they washed it for me. I get home and look a bit closer and realize there is a scratch in the rear-drivers-side window tint, and the rear window has a bubble the size of a golf ball. So, I go to the tint shop at 8:00 this morning (Tuesday) when they open and they squeeze me in to fix both windows. At 8:00, the guy says it will be finished in 1 hour. Finally, at 11:30 (after a total of 3.5 hours!) they have my car finished and I leave. I noticed some bubbling again, but they insisted this time these will go away. I get home after work and look a bit closer and the rear window might actually be okay after it soaks in the sun for a while... but... get this! When they were cleaning the adhesive of the previous tint off, they sprayed their cleaner all over the upholstery (about a 3" strip above the rear window!). I noticed this right away, it has me very angry!!! Also, there were cleaner splatters on my leather seats and the door frame, but those wiped off with no problems. Does anybody know how to get this cleaner out of the upholstery without damaging anything, in order to make my new car new again?

Please help. Otherwise, I'm ready to march into this tint shop as a very pissed customer.

And if it helps anybody else out there, do not go to Spiffy Window Tinting in Fort Walton Beach, FL!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Instructor

Tinting sux. Nuff said.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Racer

dude u gotta chill...let the tint dry up..it takes about 2-3+ weeks for it to fully cure
either the tint is shitty and shitty job or you arnt letting it dry enough
Old 09-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
I use Northwest Florida Window Tint, on Hollywood, across from Gulf Power. First used them in 95 on my Accord, in 98 on my 96TL, which I had for 6 years and not a problem with the tint, and then on my 04 TL. My tint didn't need drying or curing or whatever right out of the shop. It looked like it was colored glass rather than tint applied to it.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:40 PM
9th Gear

new font, sorry.

Get this...

I drive my brand spanking new '04 WDP/quartz/5AT/Navi/wing spoiler off the dealer's lot 5 days ago. Two days later (Saturday) I take it in to get 30% tint put throughout. 5 hours later I pick up the car. There was some bubbling in the tint and they said wait a week, park it outside and it will go away. In addition to that, the car had brutal water spots all over it. They tried to tell me it was from a sprinkler system, but guess again, it had only been at the dealers and in my garage! So they washed it for me. I get home and look a bit closer and realize there is a scratch in the rear-drivers-side window tint, and the rear window has a bubble the size of a golf ball. So, I go to the tint shop at 8:00 this morning (Tuesday) when they open and they squeeze me in to fix both windows. At 8:00, the guy says it will be finished in 1 hour. Finally, at 11:30 (after a total of 3.5 hours!) they have my car finished and I leave. I noticed some bubbling again, but they insisted this time these will go away. I get home after work and look a bit closer and the rear window might actually be okay after it soaks in the sun for a while... but... get this! When they were cleaning the adhesive of the previous tint off, they sprayed their cleaner all over the upholstery (about a 3" strip above the rear window!). I noticed this right away, it has me very angry!!! Also, there were cleaner splatters on my leather seats and the door frame, but those wiped off with no problems. Does anybody know how to get this cleaner out of the upholstery without damaging anything, in order to make my new car new again?

Please help. Otherwise, I'm ready to march into this tint shop as a very pissed customer.

And if it helps anybody else out there, do not go to Spiffy Window Tinting in Fort Walton Beach, FL!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Instructor

nightmare??? cmon.....relaxxxxxxxxxx....did u get the moleskin? and DO NOT use your windows for about a week, leave them up, put the window lock on

breathe in breathe out
Old 09-08-2004, 05:45 AM
9th Gear

I guess I'm getting a little bit over excited. The only thing I really care about is if the upholstery above the window is ruined or not. Otherwise, the tint should be fine, and if not they get to redo.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:09 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You shouldnt have to wait a week... I got mine tinted the day I got my car and I saw no bubbles that same day. They told me 2 to 3 days of not rolling the windows down so I waited the three days. No mole skin nothing, I guess time will tell about the mole skin.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by someone
You shouldnt have to wait a week... I got mine tinted the day I got my car and I saw no bubbles that same day. They told me 2 to 3 days of not rolling the windows down so I waited the three days. No mole skin nothing, I guess time will tell about the mole skin.

The tint will get scracthed without the moleskin. I tried to ignore the warnings on the board but that didn't stop it from scratching.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

I didn't get moleskin, and mine aren't scratching...but they did ruing my leather door panel up near the window!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Instructor

I don't have moleskin either and I do have scratches that can be seen in the right sunlight from the inside. My tint has lifetime warranty done at the dealership, covering scraches like this. But I found out they use a shady company for tint service (not to mention they put two inch long stratches in the paint that needed to be touched up). So I will live with my tint scratches (Acura North Scottsdale in AZ)....
Old 08-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by rventu
I don't have moleskin either and I do have scratches that can be seen in the right sunlight from the inside. My tint has lifetime warranty done at the dealership, covering scraches like this. But I found out they use a shady company for tint service (not to mention they put two inch long stratches in the paint that needed to be touched up). So I will live with my tint scratches (Acura North Scottsdale in AZ)....
Hey, that's where I got my car from! They wanted like $700 for Huper Optik tint though, they have a Danny's Car Wash on site (they're the only place than can sell Huper in AZ). Is that what you got or was it something else? Personally, I drove down to Tucson and got Formula One Pinnacle for $300 instead. Oh, and destin, I think the stuff they use to slide the tint around is just a soapy water solution, hopefully that's all yours is. The inside of my car was cleaned up by the place I went, but the outside of the doors was covered with it so I asked. It rinsed right off the paint when I washed the car, maybe you could take a damp cloth to your upholstery?

Lance
Old 08-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by destin
Get this...

I drive my brand spanking new '04 WDP/quartz/5AT/Navi/wing spoiler off the dealer's lot 5 days ago.
I didnt know there were 04's still selling on the dealers lot NEW
Old 08-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwcolt
Tinting sux. Nuff said.
Don you feel like the odd one out ? check this poll from last week https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120681

I guess you also would love to see your leather seats crack up in a couple of years due to the heat and direct sunlight as well as long-time electronics damage with heat build-up (especially if you live in area with triple digit temperatures everyday and cars parked outside in open parking lots)
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by scrb09
I didnt know there were 04's still selling on the dealers lot NEW
Check the posting date.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:41 PM
lomaniac

Originally Posted by destin
Does anybody know how to get this cleaner out of the upholstery without damaging anything, in order to make my new car new again?
Mix up a solution of 5 parts water to one part Woolite detergent in a spray bottle and mist the area and wipe with a slightly damp towel. That should clean it up with no damage at all...very gentle and effective.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Just buy the Mole Skin kit and save time. It's only $30 and easy to install.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rsc123az
Hey, that's where I got my car from! They wanted like $700 for Huper Optik tint though, they have a Danny's Car Wash on site (they're the only place than can sell Huper in AZ). Is that what you got or was it something else? Personally, I drove down to Tucson and got Formula One Pinnacle for $300 instead. Oh, and destin, I think the stuff they use to slide the tint around is just a soapy water solution, hopefully that's all yours is. The inside of my car was cleaned up by the place I went, but the outside of the doors was covered with it so I asked. It rinsed right off the paint when I washed the car, maybe you could take a damp cloth to your upholstery?

Lance
I don't recall the kind of tint I bought, I talked them down from 300.00. I'm not very educated on tint products to be honest. Yes, that car wash company is who Acura North Scottsdale uses for tint and I DON'T recommend anyone using them (they won't even do the quarter panels correctly, even though I complained about it plus they damaged my car). Glad to hear you went somewhere else. Otherwise Acura North Scottsdale is great!