Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a Pricing update please,

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a Pricing update please,

I have not bought a TL, Yet, I am trying to convince my wife who is see only $$$ over the Accord V-6, I am taking her to a dealer this weekend to drive the Accord V-6 then go drive the TL, any help you guys can give me would be appreciated..

The price of the Accord, fully loaded v-6 is $23,744 at discount, the TL is list $33,195 MSRP, (trying to establish a discount) I need to get her to move up the scale a bit... Hopefullly the ride comparison will convince her,but keep in mind, she drives a Saturn Vue, 4cy manual....UGH... and likes it!

Dave

Email me if you would like with any ammunition to davidki@yahoo.com.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Time for a Pricing update please,

Originally posted by davidki
I have not bought a TL, Yet, I am trying to convince my wife who is see only $$$ over the Accord V-6, I am taking her to a dealer this weekend to drive the Accord V-6 then go drive the TL, any help you guys can give me would be appreciated..

The price of the Accord, fully loaded v-6 is $23,744 at discount, the TL is list $33,195 MSRP, (trying to establish a discount) I need to get her to move up the scale a bit... Hopefullly the ride comparison will convince her,but keep in mind, she drives a Saturn Vue, 4cy manual....UGH... and likes it!

Dave

Email me if you would like with any ammunition to davidki@yahoo.com.
Sounds as if you're going with a non-navi TL and I'll assume a 5AT. A few people here posted that they went to carbargains.org or something like that and got a 5AT non-nav for $300 over invoice or something crazy like that.

My guess is that for a non-navi, you shouldn't have much problem getting at least $1,500 - $2,000 off MSRP.

Well, sell her on the style and fit & finish of the TL. Break it down to her like this.....honey, would you rather have a Kate Spade purse hanging off of your arm or a Gucci handbag? Sure, the Kate Spade is nice and serves the purpose but for a bit more you can get the Gucci and the styling of the Gucci too.

Or just lay the law down and tell her the TL is what you're getting.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:59 AM
Banned

I think you idea is the best way to convince her. Let her see the dual zone A/C-heat, memory seats, the XM, voice activated Nav, and/or the Bluetooth, the HP, handling, etc.

If that doesn't convince her, tell her how good she looks in it.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Better yet, buy her a Gucci bag and tell her that the bag will look better in a TL. (Which may be true, TL will make anything or anyone looks better in it)
Old 01-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Cruisin'

Keep the ideas comming

Well, first she would not know what a Kate Spade purse or a Gucci handbag is.... she is deffinetly a blue jeans and T-shirt type gal. I am going to let her drive the Accord first, hopefully the ride and the noise of the Accord (which isn't really that bad in the V-6) will help in seeing the quality. She also looks at price (unlike alot of women), and there is quite a bit of difference..

As for telling her what I am going to buy, well, that just does not work and after 25 years of marriage I have found a way to reason with her, that is why may past cars include a 911 Turbo prosche an NSX, BMW 750I and a MBz 500Sl and numberouse other cars and I can tell you, its not because I told her that I was going to do it, but conviced her that is what "we" needed, the funny thing is, I doubt that she had driven any of the other cars more than 2 or 3 times in all the time we had them...

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm I'm starting to file them for refference..

Dave
Old 01-30-2004, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
My sister-in-law has an Accord.
While I really like the car, I could not help but notice the difference in quality of the finish between the two cars.

There was lots of stupid stuff like the moon roof could only be operated by the driver. There was only one map light in the back.

Best thing you can do is to go and look at them back to back and notice all those differences.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2004, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Because she is "blue jeans and t-shirt gal" I would tell her that the TL fits you just is like an old pair of blue jeans, nice and comfortable.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:51 PM
HMFIC

Push the safety aspect. I know the Accord does not have Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) or Brake Assist. Highlight the value, dealer treatment and luxury features. Something as minor as two position seat memory sold my wife. You never know what little features may get someone excited about the TL.

Good Luck!

Don
Old 01-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
David, you should feel lucky you have a cheap wife like I do. Why don't you just buy the TL for yourself and let her keep her POS Saturn? That way, you get what you want, and she gets what she wants.

Old 01-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by neuronbob
David, you should feel lucky you have a cheap wife like I do. ...

Aren't all wives cheap? I know mine is.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Cruisin'

See will keep the Saturn, it may cost me a new one though..

she will keep the Saturn, she actually likes it.. We have the Suburban that I drive and still have the Porsche that doen't get driven much.

It just may take some time, but I think she will come around, now all I have to do is find a deal where she thinks she is getting a bargin.. good thing though, were looking for a car with out Navi, I understand they are more negotiable.
Old 01-30-2004, 01:49 PM
10th Gear

well, let me tell you how I convinced my wife:

When I told her I wanted the s2000, she said, no, it's just a waste of money. I told her, you know what, why don't she drive it and see for herself. From that point, I had her sold!

Same as the TL. At first, I was just gonna get the TSX, which she was OK with. But then I did the same routine with the S2000 and she told me to just go for the TL.

The test drive will really convince her about the TL. But if money is a concern, then of course the Accord is not a bad car to own.

If it goes down to buying the Accord, call me I'll hook you up for 300 below invoice .

John
Old 01-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks John, good points,

Part of my problem in convincing my wife on the TL is that the Accord V-6 price we have now is 500 below the invoice price shown on Edmunds, or about 3160 off the MSRP. When it comes to the TL, they are not dealing much and for some reason at times, it's not the car but what the cost is.. go figure, (she willl also drove 20 miles to save 2 cents per gallon of gas) but hey, thats just how her mind works..

Yes, the Accord, is a great car expecially with the V-6 so it's a hard sell to go from $24k to $33K in anyone's mind. Time will tell.. as for me, the Accord would probably work also, the ballance can purchase some other toys if it comes down to that...

Dave
Old 01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
10th Gear

good luck, Dave

Good luck to you! Whichever vehicle you go with, you will still make a good choice.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

We went for the TSX, and were happy!

Went to the dealer today and drove and looked at both the TL, the TL of course is my fav, and it is a wonderful machine, but, my wife, she really liked the TSX, so I compromised and got the TSX, Premium White, with the Parchment interiior and yes, the NAVI system I am blown away!

The dealer sold me the car with Navi for $27500 or about $1500 off list, and thru in the Wheel Locks and Splash guards installed.

I think I will be very happy with it, the dealer said they will not deal on the Navi TL, so that would have ment Full pop of $35,195.

So, we drove the car home as I said and I have one heck of a big smile on my face and still have a wife in good spirits...

A Happy end to the day!
Old 01-31-2004, 01:06 AM
10th Gear

congrats!

David, I would say that's a real compromise with your wife meeting you halfway and all. The TSX is a really nice car.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:36 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would the dealers even budge on the the Navi's?

The dealer wouldn't budge a single penny.. rather the trunk tray was involved in the contract
Old 01-31-2004, 02:25 AM
Banned

Re: We went for the TSX, and were happy!

Originally posted by davidki
Went to the dealer today and drove and looked at both the TL, the TL of course is my fav, and it is a wonderful machine, but, my wife, she really liked the TSX, so I compromised and got the TSX, Premium White, with the Parchment interiior and yes, the NAVI system I am blown away!

The dealer sold me the car with Navi for $27500 or about $1500 off list, and thru in the Wheel Locks and Splash guards installed.

I think I will be very happy with it, the dealer said they will not deal on the Navi TL, so that would have ment Full pop of $35,195.

So, we drove the car home as I said and I have one heck of a big smile on my face and still have a wife in good spirits...

A Happy end to the day!
Congrats

Sounds like a happy medium to me