Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of Trading my TL for a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Cablevision Employee

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Thinking of Trading my TL for a TSX

Money issues are leading me to think about trading my TL *sniff sniff* for a TSX. The only worries I have since I am downgrading (granted not by a huge amount) I am worries about a few things:

1) The way a 4 banger sounds after 75K miles
2) Interior quality/comfort
3) The power difference

Any comforts, input, honest advice would be greatly appreciated. Also can anyone here tell me how the engine sounds @ idle at 75K, weather you beat on the engine or not......thanks. Also if anyone has had both or one and or the other, input would be great, thanks!
Old 05-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
I would keep the TL. The TL is larger and has a v6 in it while the TSX has a 4 banger. The power difference is noticeable according to TSX and TL owners. THe car is much less refined and is smaller than the TL. Instead of a TSX, I would go for the navi accord, v6
Old 05-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a TSX for a couple days while Acura was fixing my car they damaged. I will have to say I was very happy to get back in my TL when they were finished. The TL feels like you are in the car and part of it. This comes from a higher center consol and smaller windows I think.
The engine did not sound nearly as nice although I will say I was not bothered. The one thing I did notice was that every time I looked at the speed I was going 10mph faster than I thought I was. I don't know what caused that.
The last observation was that the interior just felt cheap. Again this is compaired to the TL. The buttons seemed to be there out of function where as in the TL it seems like art. Everything seems to flow in the TL not so in the TSX.
I hope this helps answer some questions.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Cablevision Employee

Originally Posted by voigt
I had a TSX for a couple days while Acura was fixing my car they damaged. I will have to say I was very happy to get back in my TL when they were finished. The TL feels like you are in the car and part of it. This comes from a higher center consol and smaller windows I think.
The engine did not sound nearly as nice although I will say I was not bothered. The one thing I did notice was that every time I looked at the speed I was going 10mph faster than I thought I was. I don't know what caused that.
The last observation was that the interior just felt cheap. Again this is compaired to the TL. The buttons seemed to be there out of function where as in the TL it seems like art. Everything seems to flow in the TL not so in the TSX.
I hope this helps answer some questions.
Yes it does, and one main question which will seal the deal of weather I need to sell crack to keep the TL...lol....jk.

Did you feel humbled while driving? Like when you were driving did you ever wish at any point in time you could telepathically tell other drivers "this aint my real car I have a TL in repair" ......or like "damnit if I only had my TL right about now"?
Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Although the TSX is nice in its own respect I had a TSX loaner about 4 times now and everytime I can't wait to get in my TL. When you shut the door I sounds cheap and hollow.

Interior grade is not up to par with the TL

Sound doesn't sound as good as in the TL (size of interior)

Power is a HUGE issue with me and the TSX loaners I had. Felt like I could walk faster the accelerate.

Layout of TSX is not a work of art like in the TL.

I agree with the loaded Accord idea too, but would say your better of keeping your TL if its possible.

When I was driving it I felt like telling other people "this aint my real car I have a TL in repair"
Old 05-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6 Accord is better than the TSX. The 4 banger shakes a lot during idle, and power is wanting when compared to the TL.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how bought an accord?
Old 05-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
The TSX is a nicely appointed European/Japanese market Accord, as many of us know. I've had a TSX loaner multiple times, the longest time for a week. I have found it spirited for a 4-banger and the interior has improved over the years so it looks less cheap. It is, by no means, on the same par as the TL and REALLY downmarket from the RL, but it is really not bad at all. The engine sound is not bothersome to me at all....sounds faster than it is.

With that said....if you want to keep the power and save some money, an Accord V6 navi is the way to go. However, the TSX is frankly more fun to drive than the AV6 and is really tossable in the curves. Add a 6MT and it's even more fun.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
well the 4 banger accord shakes alot during idle too (03-05) they have a bulletin to fix that problem, i was thinking of trading my TL in for the TSX also...i just like the look of the tail lights....and the price of gas(mileage wise...not octane wise) but im scared to loose all my power...Going from a V6 to a 4cyl.....ehh....i better have a supercharger in that 4banger to keep me "satisfied"....i went for a ride in the TSX...didn't seem too bad....felt like a mini TL inside...but i didn't really pay attention to it....If its money problems and you still want power....go for the v6 accord (03-07) The dealer i work at is giving out deals on them...as low as $200 a month finacing...non-lease....just to get ready to bring in the 2008 models....As long as you dont mind buying a new car now and seein a newer one in a few months...(like buying a TL and finding out later that the TL-S comes out in a few months...those bastards)
Old 05-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdGenHybrid
well the 4 banger accord shakes alot during idle too (03-05) they have a bulletin to fix that problem, i was thinking of trading my TL in for the TSX also...i just like the look of the tail lights....and the price of gas(mileage wise...not octane wise) but im scared to loose all my power...Going from a V6 to a 4cyl.....ehh....i better have a supercharger in that 4banger to keep me "satisfied"....i went for a ride in the TSX...didn't seem too bad....felt like a mini TL inside...but i didn't really pay attention to it....If its money problems and you still want power....go for the v6 accord (03-07) The dealer i work at is giving out deals on them...as low as $200 a month finacing...non-lease....just to get ready to bring in the 2008 models....As long as you dont mind buying a new car now and seein a newer one in a few months...(like buying a TL and finding out later that the TL-S comes out in a few months...those bastards)
haha that was me back in August. We bought the TL, then when we got home my dad recieved one of his car mags and saw that the TL-S was coming out for 07.

I say wait for the 2008 Accord, if you like the styling. IF you don't then you can just take a left over 07 Accord for a really low price. Yeah?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:05 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
if you really do the trade, you will lose so much value from the TL, that you'll end up with the same payments every month anyways (if you are financing)

my ex-gf had a TSX and it wasnt bad. shit, its still a $30k acura. however, i agree with everybody else. you get sooooo much more for not that much more money.

the ONLY advantage to the TSX is if you are a big modder, there is a huge market out there for parts & its a little better on gas. not MUCH.. TL EPA 20/29 TSX EPA 22/29
Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's like going from eating the best breakfast Mom ever made you, to a hard ass McDonald's breakfast biscuit! Either way, you eat - but damn! (If your mom can't cook, put somebody name in there that can!)

Keep the TL! Like you not gonna do it anyway! I see you posting! You love it!

Get a second job, get a second girl, get a second mortgage...but don't get that second-hand TSX!

Later!
Old 05-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Ask this same question in the TSX forum and everyone would tell you get a TSX. I personally love my TSX and have driven the TL many times when I have had services done. I like the TL, but I find it to handle like my grandmother's buick (non Type S). I have not noticed any pronounced engine shake as of yet.

As for fit-n-finish, I think the TSX is great. The materials are high quality and the buttons have a solid feel. The leather may be a less plush than that of the TL. I have noticed the TL seemed to be a little less buttoned down than that if its brother the TSX. Everything is tight and sturdy.

I find the 4-banger to be strong enough. I find myself speeding practically every time I drive...I have to keep myself in check. Also, this engine loves to rev and will be a little louder than the stronger laid back TL. OH...also the TSX has been rated the consumers top pick and has the strongest resale value out today at 55% over 4 or 5 years...I cannot remember which.

Either way both cars are awsome so do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't hesitate to purchase a TSX
Old 05-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Undercover Slacker

i drove my cousin's TL before i bought my TSX. billabong05's comment about how the TL handle's like his grandmother's Buick is kind of how I felt when I drove the TL. It felt like I was driving a bigger car than I actually was.

The TSX's 4 banger is the right size for the car, and the TL needs the V6. I agree the TL's interior is superior, but the TL has one of the best interiors in it's class imo. That doesn't mean that the TSX's interior is all that bad. IMO, the TSX's interior still beats BMW's interiors, which isn't saying all that much.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by robbie82
Yes it does, and one main question which will seal the deal of weather I need to sell crack to keep the TL...lol....jk.

Did you feel humbled while driving? Like when you were driving did you ever wish at any point in time you could telepathically tell other drivers "this aint my real car I have a TL in repair" ......or like "damnit if I only had my TL right about now"?
I did when I pulled up to the light next to a NPB TL and the owner looked over at "my" TSX with this seemingly condisending look (I probably imagined it). I realy wanted to roll down my windows and tell him i had a TL as well. I agree with others, get an accord before you get the TSX.

My journey started by looking at the V6 Accord, then I looked at the TSX due to similar pricing, and then sat in the TL and was sold.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a pretty big downgrade but i can see if you have money issues, the tsx is overall a good car too, my girlfriend bought her 06 tsx when i bought my tl. The few things that i dont like about the tsx is that when you close the doors they dont sound solid they sound like a tin can, the power is not there at all, but it is still a nice vehicle.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
the tsx is peppier and has more youthful styling IMO
Old 05-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Instructor

My journey started by looking at the V6 Accord, then I looked at the TSX due to similar pricing, and then sat in the TL and was sold.

I just bought an 04 WDP 5AT at an American Honda Finance Dealer only auction and fell into the TL the same way.
I had the pre-sale info (including VIN #'s) so I Carfaxed them all and knew which cars I would be looking at to bid on.
There were about 150 mostly 04 off lease models of Accord EX V6, TSX, MDX and TLs. I eliminated TSX immediately after sitting in and test driving a few of them. They were selling for only a few grand less the TLs were so it was a financial no brainer to spend around 20k versus 17-18k.
One of the first things I noticed is the ping, not solid sound the TSX doors made and the interior and comfort levels are in different ballparks.

I would definitely go w/ an Accord V6 over a 4 banger TSX.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Cablevision Employee

Screw this Im keeping my TL........Im gonna have to sacrafice, the Gym, netflix, other monthly crap and just work a bit more. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
My friend has a TSX, but when i drive his car...i dont feel much of a comfort compare to the TL..
Old 05-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Screw this Im keeping my TL........Im gonna have to sacrafice, the Gym, netflix, other monthly crap and just work a bit more. Thanks for all the input.
Glad to hear!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:43 AM
rollin fattys in

Honestly a TSX is a great car for someone that wants to have a tunable car.
There are many more aftermarket parts such as headers, cams, more suspension(although there are several suspensions for the TL also.) But if it is an automatic tsx there is no feeling of power compared to a TL. I think it's a good choice to stick with the TL because it is a much better overall car.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Acuras Only in

I did when I pulled up to the light next to a NPB TL and the owner looked over at "my" TSX with this seemingly condisending look (I probably imagined it). I realy wanted to roll down my windows and tell him i had a TL as well. I agree with others, get an accord before you get the TSX.

Very funny but true ... been there done that ... LOL

TL is a TL is a TL ... TSX just feels a bit like that younger sibling that doesn't quite get there yet ... or maybe we're just a bunch of spoiled Tl owners that can't get used to driving other cars, even another Acura like TSX ...
Old 05-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
If I had a TSX I would have to Dynamat the whole car and then supercharg it. Keep the TL
Old 05-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

The TSX is a great car if you have to "downgrade". Best of luck whatever you do.

Nip
Old 05-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

I like the TSX, but the TL is so much more of a refined car. The smoothness of the V6 vs the high-revving of the 4cyl is a big plus, and the fact that the TL has much more roominess to it. What ever you decide, good luck.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Cablevision Employee

YESSSS!!!!!!!!!!

IM Keeping it, I dumped 3 major thing that were costing me way too much $$ and had to be cut in order to keep by TL

1)Smoking....both cigs/mary
2)The Gym
3)My Girl

WhoooooHoooo The TL is staying right where it is in my driveway!!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Racer

I am glad to hear you are keeping your TL. I heard from my dad that there many doctors at work trading in their Merc's, BMW's and other more expensive cars for the TL. He also said that many people once they drive the TL cannot get used to another car even more expensive. This sucks for me as I might never be able to afford another one. I would have had an Accord V6 Nav but my dad gave me a graduation gift to make up the price difference. Thanks Dad.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Cablevision Employee

I am glad to hear you are keeping your TL. I heard from my dad that there many doctors at work trading in their Merc's, BMW's and other more expensive cars for the TL. He also said that many people once they drive the TL cannot get used to another car even more expensive. This sucks for me as I might never be able to afford another one. I would have had an Accord V6 Nav but my dad gave me a graduation gift to make up the price difference. Thanks Dad.
Luckkkyyyy......
Old 05-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Trucki!!

Glad to here your going to quit smoking, but I'd get rid of my car before I got rid of my gym membership. You must me someone that doesn't put one's own health as a top priority.

I mean do you guys hear the advice your giving this guy? No one should be in a car they can't afford. You're all hammering it into his head that its a bad idea for him to get something that fits into his budget. After reading this I think you need to take a step back and think about it.....maybe your finances are not where they should be to own this car right now. I would have never spent the $30k on a vehicle if I knew I would have to give up anypart of a lifestyle that makes me happy. Its only a car, maybe the TL is more "refined" as I keep reading. But obviously you can't afford it.......your best option is to get out while you still can.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Cablevision Employee

-lembowski

I already dumped my chick and canceled my $175 a month gym subscription. All in all I cut around $500ish a month in crap. I wasent used to a budget, after 2 years of not having a car payment and a very low family insurance, I got to used to blowing my money. Its healthy to be on a budget now though. And my plan is to refinance the car in 2 years since right now my credit isent the best, but in the middle of being fixed, and im adding a lot more to the principle payment per month, so that the new principle upon refinancing will be a lot less with a lower interest rate. I def appreciate the concern though, and in any other circumstances would def go with ur advice. Im ok now though.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Trucki!!

Ok........

Where the hell do you work out that cost $175 a month?

Ever consider just getting a normal gym membership at 24hr or Golds for $40 a month?
Old 05-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Banned

How long have you had the TL? If you've been making payments on it for a while, then you may be able to re-finance the rest of the note over a longer time.

For example, if you signed up for 5% for 5 years on 36K, your payments would be 679/mo. You would owe about 19,000 on your note after 2.5 years. If you re-financed that 19K over 48 months at 7%, your payments would drop to about 450/mo. That'll save you over 200/mo, but your note will be 1.5 yrs longer .

put some numbers down, & we'll take a look at it
Old 05-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lembowski
Ok........

Where the hell do you work out that cost $175 a month?

Ever consider just getting a normal gym membership at 24hr or Golds for $40 a month?
Not to mention you dumped your girlfriend for a car payment??
Old 05-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Racer

I have a friend like you. Stop buying shit you can not afford.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Respectfully, I think you guys are being more than a little one-sided.

My daily driver is a TSX but I'm in a 2006 TL about 5 times a week. I see zero difference in interior quality and materials and I'm not sure how anybody who is at all objective can make that claim. If anything, I like the seats in the TSX slightly better and feel that the dash layout is a bit cleaner. The only real upside of the TL over the TSX (in terms of the interior) is so better ergonomics around the sound system, and a nicer armrest. Of course, the TL also has some nice gizmos that the TSX does not.

I also think all the dicussion about the TSX lacking refinement etc is a bit silly. I again see little difference between the cars. Both vehicles feel smooth and upscale to me.

IMO, the big issue is the power. The TSX is just adequate whereas the TL feels downright fast. The TL, IMO, also rides better (much less busy on the highway). And, while there may not be a big difference on paper, the TL feels a lot bigger inside to me.

The TSX does have two advantages over the TL: Somewhat better handling and folding seats for the trunk (which I find very useful).

The two vehicles are close enough in price these days that the TL is probably the better buy (at least in my opinion). But, I think you guys are overstating the real world difference between the two vehicles. It really comes down to more power, room, and features vs. better handling, smaller exterior size, and more usable trunk. And, if you are somebody who turns over their car quickly, the TSX seems to be retaining its value a bit better so the cost savings may be magnified.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I already dumped my chick

Uh, couldn't you just tell her you were having money problems and that y'all couldn't go out as much or that she would need to start paying from time to time? Or go to cheaper places?

Quitting smoking and dropping the gym are good (completely unnecessary expenses)...but if you must have a gym, find a Peak Fitness...they're like $20/month.