3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about replacing your dome lights? Read this!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 03:07 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Thinking about replacing your dome lights? Read this!

This is soooooooooo cool! :smokin:

OK, so I had an idea last night because I was having so much trouble removing the dome lights.

This worked so well, you can now easily remove the bulbs safely in under about a minute each.

(1) Get some 5/8" diameter shrink tubing (should be available at Radio Shack or other electronics parts stores). A 3" length is more than enough to remove 2 bulbs - You can flip one piece over to reuse it.

(2) Get in the car and remove the covers for the dome lights.

(3) Let the dome lights fade out. Wait another minute or so for the bulb to cool down.

(4) Once the bulb is cool to the touch, put the shrink wrap tube around the bulb, up to the base of the bulb.

(5) Turn on the light with the switch. Make sure that part of the shrink wrap touches the bulb.

(6) The heat from the bulb will shrink the shrink-wrap in about 30 seconds or so. You should see the shrink wrap getting smaller in the bulb area. Don't overheat and don't twist the shrink wrap around!

(7) Turn off the light when it looks like the shrink wrap has shrunk around the entire bulb. Let it become just warm to the touch (about a minute or two).

(8) Pull the bulb straight out - You'll be amazed how easy it comes out now!

(9) While the wrap is still warm, you can peel off the wrap from the bulb and save the bulb for later.

That's it!

Pretty simple, hmmm?

¿McGyverJazz?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pictures, please.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Of what?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you using the shrinkwrap as a larger grabbing area? Otherwise I'm not really sure why it helps (I haven't opened up the dome light covers yet so I haven't seen the size of the bulbs)
Old 04-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Pro

great TIP...i will most likely do this when i have time to do that mod...i'm still waiting for my bulbs to come....leds i mean
Old 04-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine all came out ok except for one in the rear. My wife has a rubber grip pad thingy she uses to open jars and such. Using that and needle nose pliers that final stubborn light came right out. My index fingers are still sore from trying to get those damn things out!! It's been almost a week now.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Great idea!!!

My dome light installation was a disaster. I worked on trying to get those dam dome light out for a while for approximately 10 minuteS. Finally, I actually broke the bulb. The result was some small pieces of glass were stuck in the fixture that I tried to remove with a very small screw driver another 15 minutes elapses. Finally, I ended up blowing the fuse. This caused the interior lights to turn OFF as well as the KEY FOB stops working!!!!

I went to the dealer and was very polite. They hooked me up!!
They removed the small fragments of glass from the one dome light, replaced the fuse, and switched out the remaining 3 three dome lights.

Embarassed to tell the story, but it is true. JUST BE CAREFUL.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by Lore
Are you using the shrinkwrap as a larger grabbing area? Otherwise I'm not really sure why it helps (I haven't opened up the dome light covers yet so I haven't seen the size of the bulbs)
You get two advantages:

When the shrink wrap has "shrunk", you have solid contact on almost the entire surface area of the bulb. Think of it like the old "Chinese Handcuffs" party favor. When you pull, you're pulling the whole bulb, not just two small points of contact.

The extra couple of inches of shrink wrap that extends beyond the bulb gives you a "handle" to pull with. The "handle" part of the shrink wrap is located conveniently outside of the extremely confined dome light area, making it easy to grasp and pull.

The only thing I was worried about was if the dome bulb's heat was enough to shrink the tubing. It worked perfectly, so you don't have to drag a heat gun or lighter with you to get the shrink wrap to shrink.

Also, since the shrinkwrap applies force uniformly around the bulb when it shrinks, it is a lot less likely to cause the bulb to break.

I love elegant solutions!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Team SSM

OMG JAZZ THANKS MAN!!!!!!

My thumb kills, and I was going to quit on putting the leds in.

jazz you're awesome
Old 04-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Banned

you guys are wasting your money replacing the door and mapl ights with LED's. they will burn out quicker than a regular bulb by being in the open air element.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by AcuraTLS03
you guys are wasting your money replacing the door and mapl ights with LED's. they will burn out quicker than a regular bulb by being in the open air element.
Excuse me? What are you smoking?

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) on LEDs generally approaches 100,000 hours.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
Excuse me? What are you smoking?

MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) on LEDs generally approaches 100,000 hours.
i understand that, but they wont last long as dome lights and door lights. they are open to the air and natural elements. they wont last very long.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Team SSM

Question

when I take out the bulbs and insert the LEDs, is it just as hard to take out the LED as in the bulbs or easier now..?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Great tip GotJazz.

What about the index finger:
a drop of superglue, apply pressure to the bulb, wait 30 seconds, and pull finger down?
Viola!
9 more digits available after that--I could do the domelights on 2 cars, (until the skin grows back)??????

The shrink tubing is a great idea.
How many beers did it take?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Racer

i understand that, but they wont last long as dome lights and door lights. they are open to the air and natural elements. they wont last very long.
I'm not sure where your impression of LED's comes from - generally, LED's are sealed when you buy them. "Exposing" them to the elements isn't going to shorten their life span any. You're only exposing the outer casing, and it's more durable than a light bulb.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:37 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

AcuraTLS03 - I'm curious where you are getting your information from. LEDs last so much longer than light bulbs that you'll probably never replace them in your car. In fact, you can probably move them into the next couple of cars that you own. Lots of standard light bulbs only last a couple of thousand hours compared to the estimated 100,000 of an LED. (Note: I don't know if the lifetime of the car light bulb is longer than a standard 120VAC bulb - it's a much lower wattage than a standard bulb, so it generates a lot less heat, so it could last a bit longer)

The LEDs are sealed in a plastic casing. They won't be exposed to the elements. Also, there really isn't anything to "burn out" in an LED - not like a light bulb that has a hot filiment. Also, LEDs take less power to produce light because they aren't heating a sliver of metal until it is hot enough to glow. Instead, they are exciting electrons in a semiconductor material which eventually results in photons being transmitted at a specific frequency when the electrons return to their original orbital state (if I remember my Semiconductor Physics class correctly). There's almost no wasted energy - just generated light. There is almost no heat involved, so there's a lot less wear 'n tear on an LED. Heat is one of the most common reasons that causes many things to fail.

Talk about nasty environments ... Look at the recommended LED replacement for standard bulbs being done HERE. Oh, and be sure to note the light bulb times listed in this article. I put my estimated light bulb/LED lifetime numbers in this message before I found that site, but the ad supports my numbers.

Originally Posted by Tajam
when I take out the bulbs and insert the LEDs, is it just as hard to take out the LED as in the bulbs or easier now..?
Tajam - I'll let you know tomorrow when my WLED-W6s arrive.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Originally Posted by NathanSilver
How many beers did it take?
None before. It may actually be my first sober idea.

I'll let you know tomorrow how many celebratory beers I had afterward, though!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:47 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

BTW, The 5/8 inch diameter tubing is measured across the tube when the tube is squashed flat, not when it's circular.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Banned

edglang (a member here) once replaced all his bulbs with LED's... didnt take long for them to burnout.

i replaced my two maplight bulbs with LED from www.ledtronics.com (194/168 type) which is a very reputable comapny... they stopped working after 4 or 5 months.

i also replaced one of my parking light bulbs with the same exact bulbs at the same time as the map lights and to this day they still work.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:15 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

I guess we'll see (There's a lot of folks putting them in).

However, if you're seeing the LED "bulb death", it's not because the LEDs died. It's because the engineers that designed the LED bulbs didn't do a good job. There's more inside the LED bulbs than just the LEDs.

For example, there needs to be a diode bridge to make sure that the LED bulbs aren't "polarized" (light only one direction). Also, there needs to be some noise rejection circuitry to prevent spikes from reaching the actual LEDs in the circuitry.

If the hardware design engineers did a poor job, you may see early LED bulb death - but not due to the LEDs themselves.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Team SSM

Dont forget the Two blue lights next to the Homelink, are leds
Old 04-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Question

So whats the FINAL word on these lights?

Should I get the WLED or the TLED ones and also what are you'll suggestions about the Blue (wled b6) VS. White (wled w6) FRONT dome lights?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:48 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Use WLEDS only, don't use the T-13s.

For the front dome lights, I've tried both the WLED-W4, WLED-W6, and the WLED-B6.

The results:

WLED-W6: Brighter than the stock bulbs, but not overly so. Provides "whiter" light than the WLED-W4. These are the "keepers".

WLED-W4: More "blue" than the WLED-W6 (obviously), and adequate for reading. Light output is probably more comparable to the stock bulbs. If you want to get subtle blue effects to go with the TL's interior lighting, you may want to consider these. However, I'm not sure if www.superbrightleds.com is reformulating the WLED series - my newer WLED-W6 bulbs were a smaller form factor than the WLED-W4 bulbs I got a few weeks earlier. Newer WLED-W4s may also have a "whiter" light similar to the WLED-W6.

WLED-B6: Way too blue in my opinion. Had a decent amount of light output, but made reading a lot more of an eye strain. I tried reading a road map with the WLED-B6 (even though I have the Navi, not everybody does), and there were some odd color artifacts and it was challenging reading. I wouldn't recommend them at all, but to each their own ...
Old 04-18-2004, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

¿GotJazz?,
Thanks for the great tip. Removing the stock dome (front and rear) bulbs was a breeze (no more than 30 seconds each) with the shrink tube. I didn't even need to heat the tube; I used it only for grip.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

9600Gator -

I thought that it was extremely cool that the lamp's own heat would shrink the tubing to help in it's removal. Glad it worked well for you even without the need to shrink the tubing!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ¿GotJazz?
This is soooooooooo cool! :smokin:

OK, so I had an idea last night because I was having so much trouble removing the dome lights.

This worked so well, you can now easily remove the bulbs safely in under about a minute each.

(1) Get some 5/8" diameter shrink tubing (should be available at Radio Shack or other electronics parts stores). A 3" length is more than enough to remove 2 bulbs - You can flip one piece over to reuse it.

(2) Get in the car and remove the covers for the dome lights.

(3) Let the dome lights fade out. Wait another minute or so for the bulb to cool down.

(4) Once the bulb is cool to the touch, put the shrink wrap tube around the bulb, up to the base of the bulb.

(5) Turn on the light with the switch. Make sure that part of the shrink wrap touches the bulb.

(6) The heat from the bulb will shrink the shrink-wrap in about 30 seconds or so. You should see the shrink wrap getting smaller in the bulb area. Don't overheat and don't twist the shrink wrap around!

(7) Turn off the light when it looks like the shrink wrap has shrunk around the entire bulb. Let it become just warm to the touch (about a minute or two).

(8) Pull the bulb straight out - You'll be amazed how easy it comes out now!

(9) While the wrap is still warm, you can peel off the wrap from the bulb and save the bulb for later.

That's it!

Pretty simple, hmmm?

¿McGyverJazz?
Nice idea but I didn't have heat shrink tubing or the time to run out and buy so I wrapped the end of a pair of needle nose pliers with several layers electrical tape. Did the trick!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Wow I believe this wins for being the oldest bump ever in the 3G section.

SenorCalligilli thanks for actually searching for a topic unlike some members around here.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 AM
10th Gear

Dome lights

I used a small screwdriver and got all the bulbs out, no problem! Just used a bit on care and patience!

I used LED's but liked the stock lighting look so I got a hold of 10 watt bulbs instead. I believe the stock bulbs were 5 watts. Brighter stock look with no heat or melting issues. I have them in the puddle lights in the doors too. Got the 10 watt bulbs from 1000 bulbs.com.........

I would have preferred to use a lower wattage/cooler bulbs like LED's but found I could see better with the warmer stock look.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
6 year bump? Wow.
Scotch tape does this same trick and is cheaper/easier.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by car_lost
u are full of crap man

dome and door lights are NOT open to the elements, they are covered with lenses just like every other light except for the trunk light and possibly the glove box light.

LEDs are encased in plastic and are not affected by exposure to the "elements"