Thin scratch!.. Can I remove it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004 | 12:49 PM
Intermediate

Angry Thin scratch!.. Can I remove it?

My new Anthracite TL got thin scratch from the front to the end.
I think some jealous person did it with key or nail.
Very thin long line in the driver side.

Anyone has any good idea to remove the scratch without going to body shop? I will try to use Mother' Gold Scratch remover tomorrow. Anyone use better scratch remover?

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2004 | 01:23 PM
Senior Moderator

How deep is it? Can you catch it with your fingernail?
Old 02-27-2004 | 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
How deep is it? Can you catch it with your fingernail?
Yes, I can catch it with my fingernail. It was done by nail or very sharp material. not very deep though.

thank you.
Old 02-27-2004 | 03:20 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Re: Thin scratch!.. Can I remove it?

Originally posted by comdoctor

My new Anthracite TL got thin scratch from the front to the end.
I think some jealous person did it with key or nail.
Very thin long line in the driver side.

Anyone has any good idea to remove the scratch without going to body shop? I will try to use Mother' Gold Scratch remover tomorrow. Anyone use better scratch remover?

Thank you.
Try that or try waxing it out, if that doesnt work you may have to go further.
Old 02-27-2004 | 05:17 PM
Banned

Try claybaring...
Old 02-27-2004 | 07:35 PM
Intermediate

If these other options don't work, here's an interesting touch-up paint applicator that you can buy:

Chip-Mender brand Touch Up Paint Pen
Old 03-01-2004 | 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Thank you very much for your input!.

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2004 | 05:16 PM
Pro

unfortunately, a deep scratch can't really be touched up or buffed with decent results. Have a pro detailer look at it. If your nail can get caught in it it's usually too deep to buff out.
Old 03-01-2004 | 08:07 PM
Drifting

I'm so sorry to hear about your car. I just ordered my Anthracite TL last week, and my heart goes out to you. It makes me sick to hear about your car. I hope you can get it fixed so that you don't notice it.
Old 03-01-2004 | 08:21 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Turboara
unfortunately, a deep scratch can't really be touched up or buffed with decent results. Have a pro detailer look at it. If your nail can get caught in it it's usually too deep to buff out.
Correct - trying to buff something like this out will frequently go right through the clear coat, which will make a real mess.

Unfortunately, touch up paints, particularly with metallics, rarely match well enough to hide a small chip, yet alone a scratch.
Old 03-02-2004 | 01:34 AM
Instructor

Lightbulb Here is a unique solution......

......that a friend of mine tried, and said he got great results with, on his Honda Accord. Click on link below:

www.langka.com
Old 03-04-2004 | 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by JetJock
I'm so sorry to hear about your car. I just ordered my Anthracite TL last week, and my heart goes out to you. It makes me sick to hear about your car. I hope you can get it fixed so that you don't notice it.

Thank you so much!!.

I tried Mother's Gold Scratch Remover, but didn't help.
I just use Meguiar Gold wax and it helped a little.
I am just trying to forget it,.. but...it is on the driver side, so...

Anyway, thank you everyone.
Old 03-04-2004 | 02:47 PM
Cruisin'

Just curious, but have you considered filing an insurance claim to have it repaired/repainted by a body shop? I've had to do a couple of similar claims for other cars, and aside from the hassle they haven't raised my rates because of it. After all, this is why you carry comprehensive on your insurance policy, right?

On my last car, a 328Ci, someone somehow poked a hole--about quarter-sized--through the middle of the driver's door. The fix was an entirely new door. On an earlier Ford Explorer I had, someone dumped what looked like a milkshake on the bumper, and it etched the paint; the repainting was perfect (and I was sweating this because the Explorer was leased and was about to be returned). In both cases, I filed a claim and just paid the deductible, which in my case was $100.

Anyway, just curious if you thought about doing this. Personally, I would, rather than look at a long scratch on the side of my car every day.

Bruce
Old 03-05-2004 | 08:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by brucehallberg

On my last car, a 328Ci, someone somehow poked a hole--about quarter-sized--through the middle of the driver's door. The fix was an entirely new door. On an earlier Ford Explorer I had, someone dumped what looked like a milkshake on the bumper, and it etched the paint; the repainting was perfect (and I was sweating this because the Explorer was leased and was about to be returned). In both cases, I filed a claim and just paid the deductible, which in my case was $100.

Anyway, just curious if you thought about doing this. Personally, I would, rather than look at a long scratch on the side of my car every day.

Bruce
Thank you for your input, however, I have $1,000 deductible in my insurance. So, I don't think I can get some from Insurance company.
Thank you.
Old 03-05-2004 | 09:24 PM
Racer

1. It will be more than $1,000 to repaint front to back. If your body shop is cool, they can get the insurance to pay enough to minimize your out-of-pocket.

2. As mentioned, if you can catch it with your nail, it cannot be buffed out. (It needs to be rubbed HARD with the face of the guy that did it!)

3. The Langka method does work, but it takes a lot of trial-and-error. You can buy the "Paint Leveler" at PepBoys, etc. in the paint section to do this. For small scratches and chips, it can work very well.

It would be VERY dificult to do this for a loooong scratch.

This really sucks - good luck at getting it repaired!
Old 03-05-2004 | 10:21 PM
Team SSM

Thumbs up TRY THESE

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=31

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

Hope this helps
Old 03-06-2004 | 02:17 AM
7th Gear

i use dupont no.7 auto polish for stuff like this. make sure you get the polish and not the rubbing compound. the polish comes in a square can. i have had amazing success with it. (had a shopping cart rack blow onto my old car and got the scratches out. just not the really deep gouges. but even they looked as though they had fresh paint on them when i was done and the "edges" were smooth and feathered in) you will need lots of elbow grease, but you will be satisfied with the results. i take an old t-shirt and pour a little on it. then using a back and forth motion i rub out the scratch. you may need to re-apply some to the rag as it will seem to dry out. also the first time you use it do not be alarmed, some of the paint color will come off onto the rag. it is getting harder to find but here is a link to a place which seems to still sell it. some carquest stores had it here in town so i bought a couple of cans years ago. good luck!

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/detailedproductdescription.asp?2081