Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks for nothing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for nothing

I know I was asking for info that was up here already. I don't know how to use this sight, and was trying to save my self 30 minutes of figuring out how to search.

So what do I get - some pompus prick spouting off about how he can't stand to read these messages.

My message topic was plain. If it really pains someone to read it, they don't have to click on it.

Then the moderator sails in and thanks the guy for ranting and spouting abuse.

Well, thanks for for being a big bunch pricks and stuff this site up your a$$.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
No need to get too hot under the collar there.

I think it generally helps to just lurk a bit before actively participating on any online message board. It helps you learn the norms of that community (just like in real life), what's appreciated and what's not. If you find that the board is predominantly inhabited by assholes and social rejects who have no where else to go, then maybe that community isn't for you.

Having said that, however, it probably would be better if people tried to remain cordial when dealing with (relative) newbies.

Just my two cents...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, that happens with any forum, anywhere if you post a FAQ without reading the forum first. Anyway don't let the door hit you on the way out, your attitude doesn't sound worth trying to keep around here.

edit: i just read your thread and the moderator is thanking the person for SHOWING YOU the thread to find your answer... and you come out with this attitude... amazing!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Instructor

I think it could of been handled a little nicer, but the guy did give you the link to find the information. I think the moderator wasn't thanking the guy for ranting and giving abuse, he was thanking the guy for directing you to the correct link. I myself have found the forum to be a great tool in the ownership of my TL. If you do purchase a new acura, I hope you continue to use the forum and do not let this one incident turn you away.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Received 1,015 Likes on 577 Posts
That was me and I'm sorry you misunderstood my post, which probably should have been clearer.

I was only thanking scrb09 for directing you to the same link that I directed you to, as several people have pointed out.

He may have been a little strong in his comments, but this topic has been brought up so much and that is the reason I close these new threads and direct people to the existing thread where all the good information is.

We hope you will reconsider and continue to remain a participating member of these forums. You will surely find them helpful and informative.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:15 PM
100k miles club

hmm, glad BJ didn't put his in. that guy is sarcastic but funny. i've gotten used to his remarks as well as others. once you become an AZ addict, you'll see how some of the peeps are. i remember Ron A and rets using the like every other thread

hmm, where's the other rtfm smiley?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:38 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I specifically said in my post AWOOD that I am not only lashing @ you...it was just a comment to everyone (including you) who "DO NOT" use the Search function on this site.

as per Ron's comment, as everyone including himself is saying his thanks were for me pointing you to the right thread.

If you are a regular to this board and see threads with the same information coming up multiple times a day, you would have the same reaction that I had...and since you have been here 15 months and have close to 50 POST's ...I dont consider you a "newbie" heck you have been here more then I have...

I would not have reacted the same if you had joined recently and had only a few posts...I think I still stand correct...

BTW here are the list of Threads on this topic that had to be Locked by the MODS due to the same thing being posted again and It does get annoying after a while...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123619
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123406
https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/oh-geez-123369/
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123347
https://acurazine.com/forums/dating-relationships-14/casual-sex-123316/
https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/good-article-excercise-123661/
Old 09-28-2005, 06:27 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The only person it really should "annoy", if that is even the right word, is a moderator/forum manager.
When most of us see a thread topic thats been brought up before you just skip it and go to the next. My opinion is it's a moderators place to set the individual straight then lock the thread. When we get members, some who correct professionally - others who don't, telling someone to "try a search" etc., most of the time it "does" result in flaming and numerous members looking like "pricks".

But then again, it's pretty obvious to me that many members live for moments/threads like these.....

Not taking either side, just my opinion.. And it takes more than several duplicate threads to get me annoyed.

Cheers
Old 09-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Advanced

Look out for the "SEARCH" police! LOL

Awood don't bale out, every site like this has the "SEARCH" police lurking. They spend more time on the site than the average person because they enjoy it. Plus the MODS would not be doing there jobs if they didn’t notice things like this.

I'm pretty new to the site and have done a lot of "SEARCHING". It's faster than waiting for people to reply to your questions most of the time. Anyway thats my .

Later
Old 09-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awood
I know I was asking for info that was up here already. I don't know how to use this sight, and was trying to save my self 30 minutes of figuring out how to search.

So what do I get - some pompus prick spouting off about how he can't stand to read these messages.

My message topic was plain. If it really pains someone to read it, they don't have to click on it.

Then the moderator sails in and thanks the guy for ranting and spouting abuse.

Well, thanks for for being a big bunch pricks and stuff this site up your a$$.
Hi, please don't feel offended by the small percentage of ignorant people on here. Most of us are willing to help and the answers to some of your questions can be quite fast and detailed. Please don't give up on this forum, this is by far one of the best forum I've ever been on.

(people, if you see a new member, please be nice!)

BTW, you can always PM me if you have questions.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt
Hi, please don't feel offended by the small percentage of ignorant people on here. Most of us are willing to help and the answers to some of your questions can be quite fast and detailed. Please don't give up on this forum, this is by far one of the best forum I've ever been on.

See, Another reason to stay.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing to get worked up about and it's gonna continue to happen. One of the first things I learned here was to "Search first" and "Ask Later". Most of the questions have been asked at one time or another and it does get redundunt. At times you'll post and get no replies, other times you'll get a link, and sometimes you'll get a full or partial answer with a link. Just remember there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here and the majority will help.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
awood I had the same issues when I joined. Just ask your question and somebody will show you a link or just answer it. There are alot of good people on this site.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMainEvEnt

I have a question.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:49 PM
05 WDP 6MT

Originally Posted by trancemission
awood I had the same issues when I joined. Just ask your question and somebody will show you a link or just answer it. There are alot of good people on this site.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, this list is a bit rough.
its rougher than the VW vortex, and much rougher than the Jaguar list was.

We used to get (and likely still do) the same questions over and over, and
I would just answer them, as would others on the other lists.

The lists are for talking about cars we like, so whats the beef, especialy
since traffic is slow here and you dont have to read anything you dont want to.

Although its rough here, I bet the BMW lists are worse, if its anything like
how they drive....

Brett
Old 09-29-2005, 05:29 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think its rough here. There are some message boards that I lurk on that I would never post because of the un-welcome reception I'd receive. I think people here are really nice.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:42 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

This is one of the "rougher" lists I visit regularly, but I always find good and interesting information here. I had a bad experience a few weeks ago with another poster bashing me in the Audio subforum, but that's certainly the exception and not the rule.

I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by bailing out of this place, but only you can decide if it's worth it to you.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I just read his post and while I cannot necessarily condon his response on this thread, I can understand his anger and attitude.

Frankly, I saw nothing wrong or uncivil with his question.. I saw quite a bit wrong with the responses. When I first joined this site, I had not at that time made my TL purchase. So I had some questions about the car and I made mention of some of the cars I was considering, one of which was a new Ford Focus.

Well the bigots came out of the closet in droves. You would have thought I had spit on their spagetti. Man, was that an awakening for me. Good Lord, auto-bigots.. that was a first for me. Hell, I could have (and can) buy any one of the cars on my list (top pricers were the Z06 and the Cadillac CTS-V). But the mention of a "Ford" had the little bigot knees trembling.

Anyway, civility is a good thing and something more and more in rare supply here in America. But don't worry, awood. Those who answered your response in a harsh fashion actually want you to reply in kind.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
This place is rough?

I suppose you could try a crocheting forum

I've been on Slashdot for years, AZ has nothing on how mean they are
Old 09-29-2005, 09:34 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Gee, I didn't think the response to his question was at all harsh, just misunderstood.
I do think that his response calling everyone a bunch of pricks was very harsh however.

Maeby I'm a little harsh.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:01 AM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
Gee, I didn't think the response to his question was at all harsh, just misunderstood.
I do think that his response calling everyone a bunch of pricks was very harsh however.

Maeby I'm a little harsh.

Just "conditioned",,, or as I would say: "a seasoned Acurazine member"

Lets face it, we've all been "pricks" on here at one time or another...
Old 09-30-2005, 05:35 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since we've on a SEARCH topic, can someone tell me how to SEARCH?.....(be nice now, I've haven't had my coffee and I can get cranky too) but for example I hit the button SEARCH which prompted me to a page that has many options, one option is KEYWORDS, I then typed OIL and my search (all forums) yielded zero , we haven't disccussed OIL??....lol anyways maybe I'm doing something W ...rong ( I 'm a member of many Honda base sites and performing the same procedure gives me a list of topics that have that particular search WORD)...
Thanks, merci, arigato, gracias
Old 09-30-2005, 07:17 AM
Shift_faster

Oil is probably too short of a word. I would try "oil changes", "oil viscosity", "synthetic oil", or a more specific description of what you are looking for.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Received 1,015 Likes on 577 Posts
When you enter a 3 letter search word, you get this notice:
Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : oil
This is because the program will not search for 3 letter words. Something about using computer space and complexity of the program, so your search has to be 4 letters or more.

You can also use the "Search this forum" window on the right hand side of the page for a quick search.

The main search button gives you more options, like limiting the search to only the parent forum (doesn't search sub-forums), or you can select the particular forum you want to look in.

If anyone knows if there is a way to enter a couple of words and have the search look only for that combination, I would like to know. I don't think our program is set up for it, but I have used it on other forums. Something like "find+this" setup.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Ron, I don't think it is. If I type in "blank door handle", I get two threads that have all three of those words in it. However, it was looking for each word individually as "door" was highlighted in all occurances and the only place all three occured was in the line "blank driver door handle".

Now, while we have this thread highjacked, why can we only do one search every 60 seconds? It's annoying if you mess something up and want to go back, fix it, and rerun the search as you have to sit and wait. I'm sure it has to do with the capacity of the servers if everyone started doing searches at once, but let's be realistic, most people here don't search, they just post a new thread with an old question.

Also (and somewhat back on topic), this forum is middle of the road...with regards to attitudes and sarcasm, I've seen better (nicer) and I've seen worse (meaner). However, regardless of how it is or how it's perceived, this is a very helpful forum with lots of helpful people on it. The information available, both on our cars and on cars in general, is invaluable. At one point or another, we all have given or received a sarcastic comment...that's life...if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

That being said, I'd like to say thank you to everyone here for what you contribute.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hi Guys,

I second the annoyance with the 60 second wait for searches. It sounds like very little time but in this day and age of everything being immediate its feels like an eternity. BTW me thinks the fellow already left the kitchen and hasn't looked back.

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Ron, I don't think it is. If I type in "blank door handle", I get two threads that have all three of those words in it. However, it was looking for each word individually as "door" was highlighted in all occurances and the only place all three occured was in the line "blank driver door handle".

Now, while we have this thread highjacked, why can we only do one search every 60 seconds? It's annoying if you mess something up and want to go back, fix it, and rerun the search as you have to sit and wait. I'm sure it has to do with the capacity of the servers if everyone started doing searches at once, but let's be realistic, most people here don't search, they just post a new thread with an old question.

Also (and somewhat back on topic), this forum is middle of the road...with regards to attitudes and sarcasm, I've seen better (nicer) and I've seen worse (meaner). However, regardless of how it is or how it's perceived, this is a very helpful forum with lots of helpful people on it. The information available, both on our cars and on cars in general, is invaluable. At one point or another, we all have given or received a sarcastic comment...that's life...if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

That being said, I'd like to say thank you to everyone here for what you contribute.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I'm sure it has to do with the capacity of the servers if everyone started doing searches at once, but let's be realistic, most people here don't search, they just post a new thread with an old question.

and then there are some Veterans of the board that think that posting redudndant threads is not a problem and that people who dont want to read it should just skip it...I mean hello why go through the hassle of posting a thread and waiting for reply when a simple SEARCH can give you book load of information...

and I was thinking we lived in a "Google" age...
Old 09-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron A
When you enter a 3 letter search word, you get this notice:

This is because the program will not search for 3 letter words. Something about using computer space and complexity of the program, so your search has to be 4 letters or more.

You can also use the "Search this forum" window on the right hand side of the page for a quick search.

The main search button gives you more options, like limiting the search to only the parent forum (doesn't search sub-forums), or you can select the particular forum you want to look in.

If anyone knows if there is a way to enter a couple of words and have the search look only for that combination, I would like to know. I don't think our program is set up for it, but I have used it on other forums. Something like "find+this" setup.
Ron;

There is nothing magic or complex about doing a search for a 3-character string.. or two character or even a single character. It all depends upon how the code was written. I know.. I wrote a very nice little file and string search program in C 10 years ago that does more than just search. It also does multiple string searches in one pass, too.

Use the wildcard character when searching for "oil". Your search string should look like this: "oil*".

Obviously, you don't need the quotes.. the wildcard character is the asterisk.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by scrb09

and then there are some Veterans of the board that think that posting redudndant threads is not a problem and that people who dont want to read it should just skip it...I mean hello why go through the hassle of posting a thread and waiting for reply when a simple SEARCH can give you book load of information...

and I was thinking we lived in a "Google" age...
you know who gives a shit if someone didnt do a search. I could understand if it was a veteran, though I havent seen many post threads without searching. for the amount of time it takes you to research the topic and lecture the guy on searching you could just answer his question. you act as if its your responsibilty to let these newbies know whats going on. youd be better off not posting anything or just simply post

and a liink
Old 10-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Pro

youd be better off not posting anything or just simply post

and a liink
That is exactly what I freeking did...said that this has been posted bunch of times before...told him to try to use the search and gave him the link to the active thread that is discussing the topic (not in the nicest way possible, I agree)...to which awood got offended and started this thread ...

you act as if its your responsibilty to let these newbies know whats going on.
What gave you that ? The topic of discussion here is to use the search option and I have my opinion on it...
Old 10-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by scrb09
(not in the nicest way possible, I agree...

thats all Im sayin bro...you did answer him but in my opinion it couldve been done without you getting so bent out of shape.

You are always going to have people reposting. Its something that we have no control over. My point is sometimes its just better to just answer him and get on with life.