Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temperature dont read anymore!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
temperature dont read anymore!!!

after i got my car back from the body shop my temperature dont work anymore i just dotted lines ------ under the temp.

how do i reset it?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/wtb-stock-exhaust-1st-gen-83885/
Old 08-21-2006, 05:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by trancemission
hehehheehe i did search under temperature but nothing came up. sorry
Old 08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

LOL, Ethan....

I think this might be different though. What did the body shop do? Did they touch the front end of the car at all? They might have unplugged the temp sensor.

If they didn't, then back to Ethan's link.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by bored7one4
hehehheehe i did search under temperature but nothing came up. sorry

its cool, I just love that gif..
Old 08-21-2006, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it doesn't reset automatically the next time you start up your car..select the outside temperature display then press the select/reset button and hold it for 10 seconds..the display should then reset
Old 08-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
If it doesn't reset, remove #7 fuse (I think), or disconnect the negative battery cable for 4-7 seconds. If you don't get your outside temperature display reset and you leave your car for several days without starting the engine, you will drain your battery.

As for the proper fuse number to pull, you can do a search and probably come up with this for "flatline".
Old 08-21-2006, 07:08 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
If you don't get your outside temperature display reset and you leave your car for several days without starting the engine, you will drain your battery.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What do you mean by running your battery down if you don't get the temp reset? Are you saying that the malfunctioning temp display is drawing battery power or something? Even when the car is turned off?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Whoa, whoa, whoa. What do you mean by running your battery down if you don't get the temp reset? Are you saying that the malfunctioning temp display is drawing battery power or something? Even when the car is turned off?
That's exactly what I'm saying. If your outside temperature display suddenly goes to flatline and the cause is NOT high temperatures, you can expect to have a dead battery within the week if the car sits.

This happened to me and a mess of others on this site. I bought my '04 manual TL in mid-July of 2004 (the car was built that month as was only on the dealer's lot two days). In late August, my display flatlined after I stalled the car at a light (wasn't paying attention) and started it up immediately. It stayed flatlined.

Then on Friday evening, September 10th, just seven weeks after purchase and 36 hours before leaving for vacation, I had a stone dead battery! I had washed the car the previous Monday and had not driven it all week long. I had heard this could happen but I didn't think it would happen so quickly. I put hooked up my battery charger on a low charge and hoped for the best. It has never happened again.

It appears what takes place is the ECU gets into an error loop and, of course, eats up CPU cycles.. and therefore, power. When I first discovered my dead battery, I hooked up my charger for starting amperage and fired up the engine, then drove the car for about 1/2 hour (I know, no where near enough). I noticed when I got into the car to back out of my garage, the temperature display was working. This was due to the dead battery and no power. So if you remove the negative battery cable (really just 4 seconds), you should get the display back and not lose your presets when you reinstall the cable. Pulling the fuse is best and I think it's number seven, but do a search and you'll find it.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:30 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
That's exactly what I'm saying. If your outside temperature display suddenly goes to flatline and the cause is NOT high temperatures, you can expect to have a dead battery within the week if the car sits.

This happened to me and a mess of others on this site. I bought my '04 manual TL in mid-July of 2004 (the car was built that month as was only on the dealer's lot two days). In late August, my display flatlined after I stalled the car at a light (wasn't paying attention) and started it up immediately. It stayed flatlined.

Then on Friday evening, September 10th, just seven weeks after purchase and 36 hours before leaving for vacation, I had a stone dead battery! I had washed the car the previous Monday and had not driven it all week long. I had heard this could happen but I didn't think it would happen so quickly. I put hooked up my battery charger on a low charge and hoped for the best. It has never happened again.

It appears what takes place is the ECU gets into an error loop and, of course, eats up CPU cycles.. and therefore, power. When I first discovered my dead battery, I hooked up my charger for starting amperage and fired up the engine, then drove the car for about 1/2 hour (I know, no where near enough). I noticed when I got into the car to back out of my garage, the temperature display was working. This was due to the dead battery and no power. So if you remove the negative battery cable (really just 4 seconds), you should get the display back and not lose your presets when you reinstall the cable. Pulling the fuse is best and I think it's number seven, but do a search and you'll find it.

Wowsers. Thanks for the info. I've been hanging out on the forum only about 6 months, and that's one I hadn't heard.

Of course, my temp display flatlines when it's hot, but after driving for awhile, it starts back to showing the temp (which I think is pretty stupid, BTW, since I've never had a car do that). But if it stays flatlined, I now know what to do.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Wowsers. Thanks for the info. I've been hanging out on the forum only about 6 months, and that's one I hadn't heard.

Of course, my temp display flatlines when it's hot, but after driving for awhile, it starts back to showing the temp (which I think is pretty stupid, BTW, since I've never had a car do that). But if it stays flatlined, I now know what to do.

Thanks!
Yeah, the maximum temperture read out is 115 degrees F. As you know, that can come from engine heat sitting in heavy traffic, hot asphalt when the car is parked, or just heat.. like Texas heat, eh? Mine has hit 115 a few times, then flatlined, and then returned once again. It's the sudden flatline for no apparent reason that you want to be concerned about. I suspect I might have spiked the thing when I stalled then immediately started it again. Or maybe some of the code has memory leaks.

Anyway, you're welcome.

BTW, here's a link you might find interesting. It has my problem plus some other info.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=flatlined