Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking in my car to the dealership tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Awesome to the Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taking in my car to the dealership tomorrow

taking my car into the dealership tomorrow...i've made a list of things for them to look at...anyone else think i should put anything else or something to make my list better? thanks

 Steering wheel pulls to the Left/Right, depending on conditions of the road, but most of the time steering wheel alignment is to the left.

 My steering wheel vibrates while I’m driving, especially at high speeds.

 Sometimes there are rattles in the dash/turn signals, rattles in center speaker, rattles where the homelink buttons are, and somewhere from passenger side where I can’t make out. (especially at low rpm)

 My car and previous tires [bridgestone turanza (EL42’s)] hydroplaned at very low speed; these tires are horrible. I popped my right front one last week driving with less than 4500 miles on the tire and replaced it with a better tire for almost ½ the price of the EL42’s ($140.77). Did I have road hazard warranty on those tires?

Please consider replacing with Michelins that you put on the navigation models.

 Windshield nozzle sprays way too far, it goes all the way to my trunk.

 Water gets stuck in the side markers sometimes

 Front bumper sounds and feels loose on driver’s side compared to passenger side.

 Brake Pedal Vibrates sometimes.

 Sometimes my car won’t start at first try and sounds like it’s struggling.

 2nd gear in gearbox feels stiff and hard to get into in when it’s cold and isn't warmed up.

 Trunk doesn’t open that much. Shouldn’t this open much more?

btw..i do know some of these things are "characterisitics" of the TL like car not starting on first try, but I don't feel as though it's harm in just bring it to their attention
Old 03-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

dam that sounds bad... lucky for me i just got mine fine... hope they work your problems out..
Old 03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Please keep us updated. Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah I would like to hear what is going on as well. I do not like the sound of the brake and starting problems... The trunk are not made to open too much. In the days of old they would take your head off. In the winter my trunk pops maybe an inch. That seems normal the 4-6th item are the ones I would be concerned about..
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
Go USC Gamecocks!

 Steering wheel pulls to the Left/Right, depending on conditions of the road, but most of the time steering wheel alignment is to the left.

This is still a problem for me. I had them look at it when I first bought my TL. I thought maybe the alignment was bad after coming off the truck or something. The tech blamed it on the way the "roads were made". I took it back when I had my second oil change and tire rotation, and pointed out that since it was pulling to the left so bad, it had worn my tires down. They gave me a free alignment and it's still doing the same damn thing. I give up
Old 03-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you got 2 new tires recently right? Most likely, the steering wheel vibration is because your new tires aren't balanced correctly and should be addressed by your tire installer.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by 260 HP
I think you got 2 new tires recently right? Most likely, the steering wheel vibration is because your new tires aren't balanced correctly and should be addressed by your tire installer.

this happened prior to my new tires though...
Old 03-02-2005, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by terse
taking my car into the dealership tomorrow...i've made a list of things for them to look at...anyone else think i should put anything else or something to make my list better? thanks

 My steering wheel vibrates while I’m driving, especially at high speeds.

 Sometimes there are rattles in the dash/turn signals, rattles in center speaker, rattles where the homelink buttons are, and somewhere from passenger side where I can’t make out. (especially at low rpm)

 My car and previous tires [bridgestone turanza (EL42’s)] hydroplaned at very low speed; these tires are horrible. I popped my right front one last week driving with less than 4500 miles on the tire and replaced it with a better tire for almost ½ the price of the EL42’s ($140.77). Did I have road hazard warranty on those tires?

Please consider replacing with Michelins that you put on the navigation models.

 Windshield nozzle sprays way too far, it goes all the way to my trunk.

 Water gets stuck in the side markers sometimes

 Front bumper sounds and feels loose on driver’s side compared to passenger side.

 Brake Pedal Vibrates sometimes.

 Sometimes my car won’t start at first try and sounds like it’s struggling.

 2nd gear in gearbox feels stiff and hard to get into in when it’s cold and isn't warmed up.

 Trunk doesn’t open that much. Shouldn’t this open much more?

btw..i do know some of these things are "characterisitics" of the TL like car not starting on first try, but I don't feel as though it's harm in just bring it to their attention
terse:

I too had the HS vibration on my 04 TL, which is a different feeling vib than the driveline vib(may be related though)- if you do a serch on this site, you will see others have the same HS vib problem. My steering wheel vibrated so hard that you could see my hands shake. It would happen at 65MPH+ in 5th gear when the torque converter would kick in. Acura claims this is a "normal characteristic" - Report it immediately and escallate with ACS and DOCUMENT IT on your service record. Keep bringing the car back, especially if the vibrations are bad. Sounds like there might be a fix for the driveline vib which could also correct this. Bridgestone agreed that the vibrations were abnormal and gave me my third set of tires which I had upgraded to the LS-Z's. The ride and wet weather traction was greatly improved, but the HS vibs continued. BTW - my 05 TL doesn't have HS vibrations only a slight driveline vibration.....

good luck
Old 03-02-2005, 05:02 PM
Shift_faster

The 2nd gear issue is normal. The 1-2 shift is a little tough when it is cold. I would suggest that you change your tranny fluid to something like GM Friction-Modified Syncromesh (which might help with the smoothness and ease of the shift). I'm planning on doing that within the next couple of months.

Of course if it was popping out of gear, then I can see it being a warranty-issue.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chipplaysdrums

This is still a problem for me. I had them look at it when I first bought my TL. I thought maybe the alignment was bad after coming off the truck or something. The tech blamed it on the way the "roads were made". I took it back when I had my second oil change and tire rotation, and pointed out that since it was pulling to the left so bad, it had worn my tires down. They gave me a free alignment and it's still doing the same damn thing. I give up

The tech blamed it on the way the roads were made...HUH... That is crazy ... does the tech know how to do an alignment after making comments like that. I suppose he is some sort of civil engineer... If you are on a flat road way the car should not pull... Sure not all roadways are perfect and they tend to build road for water drainage. But, the car should not pull to one side or the other...

I would take it to a separate tire shop and see what they have to say. If the check the alignment and it is not properly aligned, then you got the problem solved.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the time a pull is noted by a customer (while under warranty), I will perform an alignment check to see where the settings are, and adjust as necessary. The fact is, if the car goes one way one time & the other way another time, it's not an alignment issue.

Where I currently work, the 4 lane highway out front is in bad shape-ruts in every lane from thousands of cars & semis using this road daily. I cannot check an alignment until I go about a mile & exit onto another highway. And this highway is, for the most part, curved. Sometimes I just can't win.

FWIW, Acura & Honda considers an alignment issue one that will cause a vehicle to change lanes within 10 seconds after letting the steering wheel go. If yours doesn't do this, don't be surprised if they say it's normal.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:59 AM
Go USC Gamecocks!

FWIW, Acura & Honda considers an alignment issue one that will cause a vehicle to change lanes within 10 seconds after letting the steering wheel go. If yours doesn't do this, don't be surprised if they say it's normal

Thanks Bluenote. I'll use this test to determine whether I need to take it back to get the alignment checked again. The tech basically said the same thing you are saying about the roads, with the ruts in every lane. I think he also mentioned something about the way the concrete was layed having something to do with it as well. I took his word for it, but I'll definitely use the test you mentioned on my way home today.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Awesome to the Max

took my car in earlier today.....he didn't tell me when he'll be finished with it.....I didn't get a loaner cause my insurance crap is being weird...so now i'm just waiting for my phone call...so i can go pick it up.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

so you have a car under warranty that acura wanted for the day and you did not get a loaner? If I make an appointment and it has to be there for any length of time I request a loaner at the time I make the appt...
Old 03-03-2005, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
The 2nd gear issue is normal. The 1-2 shift is a little tough when it is cold. I would suggest that you change your tranny fluid to something like GM Friction-Modified Syncromesh (which might help with the smoothness and ease of the shift). I'm planning on doing that within the next couple of months.

Of course if it was popping out of gear, then I can see it being a warranty-issue.
I have this same problem...kind of freaked me out when it first happened. I thought I was grinding gears or something. So it is normal..meaning I shouldn't be worried and if I chose not to change the tranny fluid it would still be ok?
Old 03-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which dealer are you using? I purchased from Acura of Glendale and was wondering how good their service is. Their sales department was excellent.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
Which dealer are you using? I purchased from Acura of Glendale and was wondering how good their service is. Their sales department was excellent.

getting mine serviced by rick gudino at Glendale...I'm pretty young (22) and I guess to him I look like some spoiled kid and saying that...he seemed serious about my concerns...so I guess it's pretty cool.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by mickey3c
so you have a car under warranty that acura wanted for the day and you did not get a loaner? If I make an appointment and it has to be there for any length of time I request a loaner at the time I make the appt...

he scheduled me for a loaner and I gave him my insurance info....but then my insurance is not under my name cause i guess when i got my car, and my parents reported it to the insurance, they (state farm) assumed that the car was my parents' car and registered under their name, but it was registered under mine...so state farm needs like..3-4 weeks to sort it out so I can be the "insured" rather than just a principal, so yeah, they would've gave me a TL loaner, but I didn't want to wait that long.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Awesome to the Max

I got my car back, there were some issues he couldn't do anything about..like rattles...my rattles come and go...and they couldn't find anything...as for car pulling to left and right...it doesn't do that anymore...they centered the steering wheel as well made the rotors even so that my brake pedal and car doesn't pull or vibrate...my car feels a lot smoother. he told me that the 2nd gear thing is normal, and I need to just warm it up. trunk is normal. fixed the water spray. he couldn't do anything with tires cause it's in the back half of my car only now...so it doesn't affect it much..especially without any rain. and for the car having a hard time starting..he said something about computer doing something and I should put my key into my car turn it to where the car is on and then wait 10 seconds before I actually start my engine. side markers, they are ordering a new one. front bumper, they checked everything and made everything is secure, he said that it might just be from the sound of the clips moving back and forth. I just wanted to see what kind of crap I could make them fix and get away with it. I'm also going back tomorrow cause they made a scratch on my steering wheel while fixing it. it's not that big a deal, but I didn't cause the scratch...maybe they'll give me a new steering wheel or rewrapp the leather around it with new leather?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

wow all that and only like 4500 miles...

What's with waiting 10 seconds to start the car, that is crazy...

I had service scratch my steering wheel and I left 4 message to the service manager and he never called back...
Old 03-03-2005, 11:10 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I had a steering wheel scratch once - made the dealership replace the entire wheel. They did, and then forgot to attach the HFL buttons from my wheel to the new one. Took an additional 20 minutes to get that sorted out. Pain in the butt.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Awesome to the Max

i took my car in to show them my steering wheel...they ordered a new one and also said they'll re-align my car at the firestone in glendale just down the street...awesomeness...

and I went to the verizon store yesterday and got my motorola v710 flashed updated...so now my info shows up on my car...awesome..
Old 03-04-2005, 07:02 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by terse
i took my car in to show them my steering wheel...they ordered a new one and also said they'll re-align my car at the firestone in glendale just down the street...awesomeness...

and I went to the verizon store yesterday and got my motorola v710 flashed updated...so now my info shows up on my car...awesome..
Yes, its great they are doing this but the alignment should have been performed earlier without you complaining and the scratch should have never been noticed by you, rather the dealer. You know they knew they did it, they just waited to see if you noticed and complained.. Just yet another poor example of an Acura service department.....
Old 03-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Awesome to the Max

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Yes, its great they are doing this but the alignment should have been performed earlier without you complaining and the scratch should have never been noticed by you, rather the dealer. You know they knew they did it, they just waited to see if you noticed and complained.. Just yet another poor example of an Acura service department.....

i don't think they noticed the scratch..I'll try to take a picture of it...it's small and could barely be seen..you can only tell when you feel that area of the steering wheel...