Taking delivery tomorrow - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004 | 04:37 PM
3rd Gear

Taking delivery tomorrow - HELP!

SURPRISE! My dealer called today to say some poor soul backed out of their deal (after waiting 3 months) and it was exactly what I had on order to be delivered sometime at the end of March (6MT/WDP/NAV). Woo-hoo! I've been cruising this forum (awesome by the way) for the past several weeks and intended to post a few questions to get clarification on the tire vibration issue, delivery inspection advice, and other early build problems - but all of a sudden I'm taking delivery tomorrow. So, if anyone happens to see this post tonight (2/13) and through tomorrow at noon (2/14), please advise me as to whether the tire vibration issue has been finally resolved and what things I should look at during the delivery inspection. I apologize if this is re-hashing the same old things again, but I've had a hard time figuring out what issues are still out there and which ones have been resolved.

Thanks and I'll post a message/pics once I have her home!
Old 02-13-2004 | 04:45 PM
Intermediate

I took delivery of my car last Saturday, and do NOT detect any tire vibration. As a matter of fact I do not find any rattle in the cabine or what so ever.

Still you should inspect and test drive the car. Play with all electrical controls in the car and make sure all work. Take your time when you are doing it.

Good Luck
Old 02-13-2004 | 05:00 PM
Advanced

I would do a walk around/visual inspection.
Then drive it.(atleast part of the time w/o the radio on, to listen to your vehicle's noises)
Ask any questions that come up.
Fiddle with all the toys on it.

In other words, do what you would do on a test drive.

And, finally, don't worry too much about it. Acura/Honda is a very reputable company and they will take care of you if you arent happy. You can always check it out, and if you have any bad vibes about it, just tell them, "No thanks, I will just wait for mine". You don't HAVE to take this one over yours if you don't want to.

~Z
Old 02-13-2004 | 05:03 PM
BOOK EM

Most likely the tires on this car are the Turanzs EL-42s. If they are, BEFORE signing the papers, take the car for a test drive. Bring it ON THE EXPRESSWAY UP TO 75- 85. Check for any vibration issues.

Also, being its an MT, check 1st gear for popping out of 1st. Keeping it in 1st, accelerate, then back off on the gas, and let it coast down by itself to a roll.

Also, have the dealer go through the seat memory check. Let him program it himself, and see if any problems arise.

Make sure the XM is set up before taken.

Do the usual paint check and body panel fitment check.

Also get them to throw in some goodies...winter mats, wheel locks, trunk protector AND MOST IMPORTANT.....THE FRIGGIN ACURA PEN!!!

Good Luck! We`re all excited as you!!
Old 02-13-2004 | 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Picked mine up three weeks ago..... Definitely follow the above posts.

Two things I have spotted on mine are:
1. Squeaks coming from the headliner on the driver's side (either the grab handle or the airbag in the headliner)
2. Driver's side airbag was mounted to the right and binds when depressing to sound the horn.

REMEMBER, if you are getting the Acura/Honda Extended Service contract to download this info off the web BEFORE going in to buy. I used it as a leveraging tool. The 7/100 $0 deduct costs the dealer $920. Most places on the web are charging around $1120.

How is this car equipped? Manual or Auto? Nav or non-nav? Any accessories to install?
Old 02-13-2004 | 07:35 PM
Moderator Alumnus

$920, wah, another best price... I like this kind of throw-in deal, really saving money. Common price seems around $1200-1800...

To jkolda, tires could be the same EL42s, but not sure if the sturcture is better.

BTW, tons details you want more specific, please test-drive your car prior to signing your final paper, check the paint throughly on the hood/doors/edges, make sure there is nothing uneven or not symmetric such as rear deck/speakers/tail light/exhaust pipes...

Also, does Ohio require the front plate? If not, remember to ask them removing them and recover those holes for you.

I'd think the real key is to test-drive your car before you accept that car, and if you feel your car has tires (flatspot, vibration) or 1500 RPM droning tremble/noise (stay at 5th gear, 1500 RPM, around 50 MPH). Tires should be replaced before signing the final paper. The 1500 RPM should be written down and get promise they will fix it... if they cannot do anything with it.
Old 02-13-2004 | 07:47 PM
10th Gear

Has anyone created a thread that details an acceptance checklist that new TL owners, (such as myself), and others can go by when picking up a TL for the first time?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2004 | 07:53 PM
Instructor

If you get the 6MT you do not get the Turanza's I believe. I think you get Potenza's that do not demonstrate the same issue.
Old 02-13-2004 | 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rets
[B]$920, wah, another best price I ever see... I like this kind of throw-in deal, really saving money. Common price seems around $1200-1800...
[QUOTE]

explain what you meant above.....
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:54 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Originally posted by mspence3
If you get the 6MT you do not get the Turanza's I believe. I think you get Potenza's that do not demonstrate the same issue.
Correct, but I think they are optional (high performance tire option). I have the Potenzas on my 6MT. I have experience a mild vibration around 50 mph until the tires warm up (usually 5 minutes or so) but then everything smoothes out nicely. I did notice that the tires gripped better after a couple of weeks of break-in (same with the Brembos). Enjoy your new ride. I certainly have enjoyed mine!
Old 02-13-2004 | 09:59 PM
Safety Car

so the potenza's are optional on the 6 speed or standard? i am suppose to be picking up my car soon i want to make sure if it is.
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:39 PM
Advanced

They are definitely optional
Old 02-13-2004 | 10:39 PM
Moderator Alumnus

gbriank,

Your EW deal IS great. Not many ppl here got $9xx deal. The best I've seen here COULD be $900 for 7yr/10k, 0 deduct.

IMO, the throw-in deal means the optional package/plan the dealer provides to you in addition to your vehicle purchase. Usually, this COULD save $$$. Or you could say this is the way dealers try to squeeze more money from you. In the end, both ends could recieve/reach their satisfication/goals.

For example, since I got my car already, and there is no more big leverage to negotiate this EW stuff or A-Spec package if I'm interested in having them.
Old 02-14-2004 | 05:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Here are a few items I've come across as a member of A-TL:
(In no particular order)

01. Do your final check-out in the DAYTIME! You'd be surprised how many people take delivery at night. Also bring a notebook and a pencil to take notes with. Don't try to remember the things that you find. Write them down.

02. Bring a tire gauge. At the time I bought my car, Acura was over-inflating the tires by several PSI. (folks speculated that it was done for shipping purposes.) I have an ' 02 TL-S so I can't tell you what PSI your tires should be... but I'm sure someone here can.

03. Your odometer should not exceed 10 miles unless you had the car driven from one dealership to another. In fact, you should call them before you leave and check on the mileage. (IMO) A lot of mileage may indicate several test drives on YOUR car. That may or may not matter to you. But at least you know.

04. Go over your exterior s-l-o-w-l-y... looking for anything out of place. Dealers/Salesmen bend over backwards BEFORE the sale to fix things that turn up. Now is the time to find any problems!

05. Go over your exterior slowly. (Just wanted to emphasize this important point!)

06. Bring a friend (preferable a male -- I know, a sexist comment) who's job it is to look for problems too. You guys will feel pressure to hurry -- DON'T. I figure they're gonna count your money... you better check out the goods. Remember the words, "Let the buyer beware!"

07. Test out as many interior gadgets as you can. I even brought a couple of CDs to stick into the player. If it's supposed to work -- try to test it. Of course they'll be a few things that you probably won't be able to test right then (i.e. the auto-dimming mirror). Make sure you test both key fobs and your three keys (2 normal keys; 1 valet key). Ooh, almost forgot. Turn off the Navi/AC screen and check the screen for scratches! It's much easier to see scratches on a dark screen. Unfortunately, the only fix for a scratched screen is for them to put in a new Navi unit (to my knowledge).

08. If you've bargained for extra accessories (wheel locks, spoilers, etc.) make sure they've been installed. Nothing worse than having to come back for these items later. And sometimes, later is too late (i.e. your salesman has the day off; or your "deal" was not properly documented on actual paper and evaporated on you.)

09. Check out your interior-- again looking for anything that looks wrong (i.e. too many wrinkles, scratches, cuts, mis-aligned stuff). If you go slow enough your eyes will see it. Especially your friend's. Believe me, friends can spot problems a lot faster than the owner!

10. Take a nice test drive (turn off the radio and ask the salesman to be quiet) and go through a few streets and then hit the freeway for a bit. Find a bumpy road if you know of one near the dealership (no, don't go through any potholes...). I was checking for wind noise, smoothness of acceleration, sound of the engine, feel of the wheel (smooth or shaky), braking feel, etc.

11. Go over all costs with the finance person. Make sure that the "free" items are actually "zero cost" or "n/c". I brought my own calculator to add up some of the simple stuff. If you see a cost and don't know what it's for or how it was calculated, ask. They should be able to explain it to your satisfaction. Double check the simple math on your own calculator.

12. Have your own financing ready, if possible. That's one major headache you can avoid in advance. Then, you can sit back and let the finance guys try to beat your Credit Union financing deal!

13. Decide before you go in if you're gonna get the Extended Warranty. If yes, then try to negotiate a lower price. Remember, you can always get it later or at another dealership. Pretend you weren't gonna get it... but now that they've mentioned it, for the right price you just might get it now. Otherwise, you just may have to shop around. That should start off some good negotiations!

14. Have them document any fixes you need and schedule an appointment to get it done. Of course, that's only if you can't wait for the fixes to be made right then. Re-inspect after the fixes are "done."

Good luck,

V.
Old 02-14-2004 | 08:15 AM
3rd Gear

AWESOME! What a great community here on A-TL. Thanks to everyone for the quick and thorough responses. This is a great summary of all the things I've been reading on this forum for the past several weeks but hadn't documented myself. I'll let you know how it goes later today.
Old 02-14-2004 | 10:27 AM
10th Gear

V.

NICE WORK with the checklist! I will most definitely plan accordingly when I pick up my TL next week. I will update the board on the outcome.
Old 02-14-2004 | 10:36 AM
Pro

This thread is very helpful to anyone that is getting ready to take delivery.
Consider making this one a Sticky!
Old 02-14-2004 | 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Rets: I think I may have mis-typed something..... I paid $1120 for the 7/100 $0 deduct. Acura Extended contract. As he was typing up the stuff, I glanced in his book from Acura and it stated that the 7/100 $0 was $920. So, I gave him $200 profit. Thanks to all of the dealers online selling Acura contracts (Curry Acura, $1125; Mission Viejo, $1120). If you go to Yahoo and search on Acura extended contract, numerous dealers will pop up... If your dealer won't match, don't buy it!
Old 02-16-2004 | 09:07 AM
3rd Gear

Picked it up Saturday!

Hey everyone, I picked up my WDP/6MT/NAVI on Saturday and to say I am thrilled would be an understatement. The entire delivery process was 1st class and the helpful information from this thread was great.

Here's the particulars of my deal:

WDP/6MT/Parchment interior/NAVI
EL-42s (no vibration)
moonroof visor
trunck protector/liner
winter mats
splash guards
cool Acura key chain (lights up!)
first oil/filter change free
$33745

I got it from Lindsay Acura on the east side of Columbus Ohio and I would highly recommend them. Ask for Rob Ralston.

I also took everyone's advice and played hardball on the 7yr. $0 deductible 100k extended warranty and got it for $1080. I referenced Curry Acura and this community and that their cost was $920. He acknowledged all of that and said "oh what the heck - I'll do it for $1180" which was what I asked for ($150 off MSRP of $1320).

That's it for now -- just enjoying every second of it!
Old 02-19-2004 | 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Excellent! Now just tune out what anyone else's pays for their car and enjoy your new ride!

V.
Old 02-19-2004 | 12:49 PM
2nd Gear

I just picked up my 04 TL last week, I noticed the wrinkles in the seats after a few days. Can this be fixed?