Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tail light tint rant and advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail light tint rant and advice?

So I ordered tail light tints from lamin-x.com along with my sidemarkers. I waited a while and I kinda just decided the other day to do it myself rather than take it to a shop or anything and overall it wasn't too bad. However, I didn't take my time and I kinda rushed it. These were pre cut (in comparison to stickercity's sheets) and although they were cut very precisely I found myself thinking that it would be easy to use the sheets and then cut it myself and that would make a better fit. So basically, my side markers are ok...they look good but I couldn't cover the full thing (the side part) so I basically just have it on top of it, the side of the side marker shows when you look close up but its hard to see from far away. Is there a way to cover the whole thing? Or do you just cover the top and cut off the excess where you would normally cover the side. And for my tail lights I did one really well pretty much and one really poorly. I am going to re order a set because I am OCD and want it to be nice if its going to be on there at all. Should I order stickercity's sheets or lamin-x's pre cuts again? I would appreciate any experiences and or advice(yes I did search) other than to take my time which I learned the hard way. The pre cuts seem legit if i had done it right but I just feel like it would have been easier to put the entire sheet on then remove the excess around the whole thing. And also, a guy i talked to at a gas station had them on his 335i and said he got them done at a shop. Would it be worth it? I assume its the same process as window tinting some what and that they would be able to line it up well. i'm going to call the shop tomorrow and see what the charge would be and if pre cut or sheets would be easier but i just wanted to ask the community. Thanks for reading! ill upload pics tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never used any tinting for any of my lights, so I cannot tell you if the pre-cuts are better or worse than just a sheet of tint. I would suggest taking off the sidemarkers and covering them, that way you can cover the entire lens, and even wrap it around it if need be.

Post up some pix.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:43 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
OP, how about Nightshadez? IMO it looks better than using actual tint, but removing the Nightshades is a little more tricky.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
I'd go with the Lamin-X pre-cut sheets. I've used them on my old TSX and they were perfect. I even did the headlights (blue). Very easy to apply. Just take your time and peel it a little as you go. Smooth out the bulbs then peel a little, smooth, peel, etc.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smokd05
OP, how about Nightshadez? IMO it looks better than using actual tint, but removing the Nightshades is a little more tricky.
+1. I used VHT Nightshades for my sidemarkers and vinyl off ebay for my tailights. honestly the nightshades looks way better but i wanted to be able to put my taillights back to stock if i wanted to.

And also don't take it to a tint shop. I've heard they will charge up to a hundred dollars and all they do is use nightshades
Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Yes the Nightshades may come off as "flat" or "dull" when it's first applied, but after it has had time to cure you can wax the hell out of it to a shine. It's what I do
Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
use nite shades, i just did it. looks amazing. spray niteshades then heavy clear coat then wet sand it and buff with a rubbing compound