AT&T vs Verizon

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT&T vs Verizon

Who Uses AT&T wireless and likes it?

How about Verizon?

I want a clamshell (flip) phone and Verizon isn't offering a HPF/Bluetooth phone. AT&T has the Moto V600 next month. My contract is up and I'm lookin' for something to work with the TL.

I currently use SprintPCS and don't like their lack of HPF offerings.

Not sure who'll offer the Siemens z600. Anyone know?
Old 01-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Instructor

I have AT&T through my office for 3 years. I've always been pleased (1500 minutes/month) I tend to have better reception in more remote locations than my wife, who has Sprint (until her agreement expires in March, when I'll switch her to AT&T).

I bought a phone for my daughter for Christmas. Ended up with AT&T for her. Looked at Verizon, (due to JD Powers and others' ranking on their customer service) but plans didn't seem to be as competitive.

I've got a Siemens S56, and bought the Sony Ericsson T616 for my daughter. Both work seamlessly in the TL.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have at&t wireles gsm service. Its preety good. Good signal strength and nice clear calls. Their customer service is slowly going to hell lately. As far as phones go, I have no experience with the Siemens phones but I can tell you that the Sony T616 works the best with the TL. I'm no sony fan. I've tried 2 nokia's, which seem to have little bugs they need to work on.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Racer

I'm not sure how good AT&T is in MD, TX, and Ohio. But it sucks here around the Philadelphia area. I have had frequent drops, poor audio quality, and crappy customer service overall.

My father and I just switched to T-Mobile. We both agree that the sound quality is better, and louder. There are a few weak spots on my way to work. But overall seems much, much better than AT&T.

I've had two diffrent nokia phones on AT&T and they both sounded like crap. My wife still has a nokia phone on AT&T and my Sony Ericsson T610 blows that away in as far as sound and clarity.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Instructor

greenseed:

know that it's water under the Ben Franklin Bridge at this point for you, but I travel to PHL (center city, main line areas) a great deal on business. I had some of the same TERRIBLE signal issues for a year and a half. Oddly enough, when I got a new phone for unrelated reasons, the problem went away altogether.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
Racer

Their customer service is slowly going to hell lately. [/B][/QUOTE]

you can say that again. i've had att for over 3 years now. i got it initally b/c their minute packages were competitive but the signal service was better than sprint so i switched. now they are not offering as many minutes, the reception is no better than the competition, and the customer service now sucks. also, if you exceed the number of minutes per month it is like .35/cents per minute over. i'm switching to T-Mobile when my contract runs. T-Mobile has bluetooth phones/
Old 01-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Agreed on the customer service issues....

When I switched to the S56 (for HFL compatability, of course) I couldn't access mMode. Was on the phone w/ AT&T for over an hour. CSR asked if she could call me right back. NEVER happened.

Haven't brought myself to endure that experience again.....
Old 01-09-2004, 05:00 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Bluetooth aside, Verizon blows away AT&T here in NYC. I was a loyal AT&T customer until 13 months ago when I switched to Verizon. Verizon's coverage and customer service leave AT&T in the dust. Pick up a copy of the Feb 2004 Consumer Reports, the issue that not only has the new TL review, but also happens to be their annual Cell Phones & Plans issue. You'll see that as much as the TL was rated better than all the others, Verizon was rated superior to all the other carriers in all areas of the country. Not only were AT&T and Sprint rated the worst everywhere, they recommended against AT&T's GSM system unless you get a combined dual mode TDMA/GSM phone like the Siemens S46.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

service alone, verizon is the best carrier
Old 01-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Only one problem.....right now....I don't think Verizon has a bluetooth enabled phone, nor do they plan on supporting the technology in the near future.

Of course there may have been information since Christmas that I'm not aware of.......
Old 01-09-2004, 05:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by drising
Only one problem.....right now....I don't think Verizon has a bluetooth enabled phone, nor do they plan on supporting the technology in the near future.

Of course there may have been information since Christmas that I'm not aware of.......

IMO, you may pick up whatever best for you in your area and where you usually go to. If Verizon is the best there and AT&T is the second, you may choose AT&T if you need the Bluetooth and Verizon CDMA has no bt.

The same question will get the different answers nationalwide. You may not travel a lot to where we are...
Old 01-09-2004, 05:27 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

I probably have the only one of 2 Verizon phones that may be upgradable to Bluetooth, the Samsung i700 PDA. There's an SD card slot and a Bluetooth SD card recently became available. I'll try it when I get the car in March. They just released the other phone with an SD slot, the Samsung i600, a flip PDA.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

DMZ,

The Samsung phone possibility for Verizon customers sounds great. Do you know how difficult it is to setup? Just plug in the card?

Anyone else have this Samsung phone?
Old 01-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Advanced

I've used AT+T, T-Mobile, and now Verizon. Verizon is by faar the better service. I also understand that they will be offering bluetooth technology but I don't know of a time table.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Verizon has the best service, but phone are ok..
AT&T has crappy service, but great phones..
Old 01-09-2004, 07:08 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally posted by umbl0
DMZ,

The Samsung phone possibility for Verizon customers sounds great. Do you know how difficult it is to setup? Just plug in the card?

Anyone else have this Samsung phone?
These phones are $499 for the i600 and $599 for the i700 with service. I do not know as of yet whether the $129 Bluetooth card will make them work with the TL.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Racer

Thanks All,

I did see the CR on Verizon as superior. I wish they'd offer a BT phone with HFP and I'd buy two (for wife and I) and sign up for two years.

I'll have to wait and see if they'll offer a BT phone that's a flip-phone.

Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Instructor

If you look for the v600 on motorola they have all diffent bands. i was told by 2 verizon and 1 mototola person they would be making a bluetooth phone and they all said the v600. They also said after christmas, but the v600 has been delayed for every carrier.
Old 01-10-2004, 04:04 PM
10th Gear

Can any of you provide feedback about Los Angeles cell phone service? I'm with AT&T, but I can't get blue tooth without going to GSM, which I hear is lousy. Verizon doesn't appear to have blue tooth, I hear that T-Mobile is terrible, and I'm not sure about Sprint or any other providers. I'd like to get set up with a blue tooth phone and a strong provider.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 01-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you hear me now! Verizon is a CDMA company like sprint. Maybe the sony T 608 will work with them too! ATT sucks in central wisconsin so I have sprint. No, its not the best, but its cheap and they have very reliable service in my area and will work well around the country.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Instructor

FWIW, in the recent Consumer Reports, they rated Verizon above all others in all the metro areas they tested (Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Philly, San Fransisco, Seattle and DC). I wish they had a BT phone; in our area, their service is far better than all others.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Pro

I've tried Verizon in Norther Virginia and they sucked coverage-wise. Have been with AT&T Wireless TDMA service for two years and I don't believe better coverage is even possible. I travel a lot around the country and find the same great coverage everywhere I go.

I tried AT&T GSM service but coverage was terrible. Cancelled it after three weeks. I'll give GSM couple more years to build up infrastructure. There's no way I'd risk loosing great coverage in order to gain the Bluetooth capability.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Instructor

The best scenario will be acheived when a tri-band phone (including TDMA/GSM) is available with bluetooth, then we won't be forced to choose.

To my knowledge, it's out there, but not available in the US.....yet.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Racer

I live in L.A, and have ATT - TDMA service for several years with NO problems or complaints. My Tri-MOde phones have worked EVERYWHERE in the country. I have been concerned about changing to GSM.

I bought a Siemens S55 and have been carrying it with me around town and while I am traveling to test the usability (with a Hong Kong SIM card).

SO FAR - the GSM phone has worked everywhere with good signal strength.

I know that ATT is converting their entire system over to GSM over the next 2-3 years, so GSM coverage should be getting better and better.

ATT is the biggest, and so far has the best coverage in analog and TDMA. I have no complaints as long as I don't have to deal with CUstomer Service!!
Old 01-10-2004, 09:27 PM
Instructor

automophile - S55

[QUOTE]Originally posted by automophile
[B]I bought a Siemens S55 and have been carrying it with me around town

I checked - S55 is triple band, isn't it? That includes TDMA?

Since AT&T doesn't officially "support" the S55, where did you find it? Any issues?

thx.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Intermediate

well let me put in my two cents

i have been with vw before att and i miss vw range and what not but their customer service department got awful in miami tmobil eis awful no reception anywhere but i heard in new england it wa alot better a friend was just down and she was like it sucks here but at home its great ... but att is not that bad here i feel that it has great prices and great phones and decent service.