3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweet interior lighting upgrade with pics and how to.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Sweet interior lighting upgrade with pics and how to.

I was able to finally get some pictures as it was very hard to capture the output of exactly what I did so that people can see it in the pictures. Im the kind of guy that likes OEM looking improvements and mods so this is a very subtle mod that matches the OEM ambient lighting perfectly. So dont expect some crazy blue or red interior lights...basically, I dont want the inside of my car to look like a night club. I was inspired to do this mod after being in a few newer vehicles that have very similar OEM night ambient lighting. One of them being the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that has an unbelievable interior.
Since I have a Type S I used red 3mm LED's however this mod can be done to the base TL's in blue as well. I dont think the older 04-06 TL's have footwell ambient lighting but all 07+ TL's do and these match the overhead lights and footwell lights perfectly. Just adds a real nice touch to the interior that is not overdone and looks like it could have come factory.

To do this all you will need is a total of 4 pre-wired (with resistors) 3mm LED's in the color of your choice. To match OEM Type S would be red, and base TL would be blue. To help diffuse the light output of the LED I trimmed off the edge of the LED's and also sanded them down slightly so the lens appeared frosted. The door handle LED's are mounted in the top rear corner, and the lower door pocket lights get mounted in the screw access hole for the door panel. Obviously the door panels have to come off as all the work is done from inside the door panel. Thats a simple job though. I drilled holes from inside the door panel and mounted the LED's inside the holes and secured with a heat glue gun. From inside the cabin you cannot see the actual bulbs they are hidden just like the footwell lights or overhead ambient lights. To power these lights I simply stole power and ground from the door lock switch. So these lights will go on and off with the other interior lights and even dim with the rest of them too. I wanted to get a power source from within the door panel that way if for whatever reason I needed to remove the door panel at later date I didnt have to worry about cutting wires that ran into the door. Sorry I dont have pics of the actual install but it really was not that hard so hopefully my description is good enough.

Here are the final results:

This is the car that insprired this mod the 2011+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland...LOVE these things and will probably be getting one for the wife in the not too distant future.

The following users liked this post:
CubanLynx84 (08-28-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks good!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Nice!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Great job, thinks it looks great but only if it matches the rest of the LEDs like you have. For those with oem stereo, how hard was it to change the color btw?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
James, I really like the one in the door handle.
awesome job!

Have you considered adding an LED inside of each cup holder?

Last edited by justnspace; 08-27-2011 at 11:04 PM. Reason: I C U P.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Very nicely done. The Type-S interior is lit so much differently than the base TLs. Does the color/brightness ever bother you? That bright red upper brow would piss me off at night.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:48 AM
Registered 3.5L Member

Received 154 Likes on 137 Posts
James (We'll be on a first name basis now, as your handle is a bitch to type) AGAIN with the lights!! Looks great my friend...you've given me even more lighting ideas! Nice job!!!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cjTL
Very nicely done. The Type-S interior is lit so much differently than the base TLs. Does the color/brightness ever bother you? That bright red upper brow would piss me off at night.
Well remember these are pictures so you can't really base the cars interior lighting based on those. No the oem interior lighting does not piss me off it's not too bright and I personally think the red is easy on the eyes. I may have had the "full bright" button pressed in those pictures which is maybe why it appears very bright. As far as the color I think the read looks really cool although I also enjoyed the color of my base 07 TL as well. They are both nice in their own ways I guess you could say.

Justnspace,
Good idea on the cup holder one. I have not really considered it but mainly because I have that cover closed all the time unless there is a drink in there. But I do have several extra LED's so I can try anything. The other reason is technically that area is already illuminated by the overhead ambient lights, but if I wanted something a little more pronounced kind of like that Jeep interior above I could.

Usmarinedelta,
Thanks for the compliments. As for the color I think you may have confused the two extra pictures of the newer Grand Cherokee interior as being my TL's interior. That is not my TL I simply posted those to show what some newer cars have done with putting LED's in certain places. The only thing I did to my interior was added an LED to the door handle pockets and door panel storage pocket. Like I said it's real subtle, but looks nice at night.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice work. Although red is not my taste, it does look nice. Well done!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 AM
The One

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
looks good
Old 08-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nutz4life
Very nice work. Although red is not my taste, it does look nice. Well done!
I hear ya, but if you have a Type S you dont have much choice in the matter haha
07tl-s6spd (08-29-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 09:29 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I hear ya, but if you have a Type S you dont have much choice in the matter haha
Hogwash.

Looks good, dude.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Well remember these are pictures so you can't really base the cars interior lighting based on those. No the oem interior lighting does not piss me off it's not too bright and I personally think the red is easy on the eyes. I may have had the "full bright" button pressed in those pictures which is maybe why it appears very bright. As far as the color I think the read looks really cool although I also enjoyed the color of my base 07 TL as well. They are both nice in their own ways I guess you could say.
True, pictures do tend to overexpose things. I do like the red lighting with the Type-S interior though. Brings us back to a time when Acura had a personality.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:07 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Looks good!! I am going to be doing this sometime soon myself. I thought about the door handle lights a long time ago when I did my footwells over and my cup holders. Just haven't had time.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
Looks good!! I am going to be doing this sometime soon myself. I thought about the door handle lights a long time ago when I did my footwells over and my cup holders. Just haven't had time.
The DIYs are in the garage if you need a reference point.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I know I already stated this and its all personal preference, but if you want to keep it looking OEM be sure to use 3mm LED's. As I stated before to spread the light better I flattened the end of the LED bulb and sanded the rest of it so it had a frosted look. The light spread now was perfect, then after the bulb is installed if its still too bright you can simply touch the bulb with a permanant marker a few times to get the desired brightness you want. Easiest place to catch power and ground for your door panel bulbs is at the door lock switch. I just ran the wires to that and soldered to the appropriate leads. Doing this method will get you door panel pocket and handle light that matches the OEM footwell LED's (for 07+ guys) and overhead LED's perfectly. Looks killer at night!!

James
Old 08-28-2011, 05:41 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance you could post pictures showing where you tapped into the door lock switch? As I recall from the last time I had my door panels off there are about 892 wires back there!
Old 08-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aneurysm9
Any chance you could post pictures showing where you tapped into the door lock switch? As I recall from the last time I had my door panels off there are about 892 wires back there!
I wish I could but I did not think to take pictures of the actual install. To give you an idea you do not have to put any wires into the actual door so all the work can be done on your kitchen table with the door panel in front of you. So again, you are not splicing into any wires you are simply soldering the two wires for the LED's onto the circuit board for the door lock switch. I used my multi meter to find which circuit was 12V when the lights were switched on then I figured out which one was ground. Very simple and im sorry I didnt think to take a picture.
Depending on how happy I feel tonight or tomorrow I will possibly remove my door panel to help you guys out and will post some pics.

stand by

James
Old 08-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Aneurysm9
The DIY is in the garage. You will need to tap the RED wire with a BLACK stripe and TWO SILVER bands. This is the illumination wire for all harnesses.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Safety Car

Here guys I went ahead and took off my passenger side door panel and took pictures. Hopefully these are better than whats in the garage. As mentioned above you can tap into the wires but then your making a huge hassle when it comes time to remove the door panel as your going to have wires from the door panel into the door shell which is a huge pain. My method and you have every self contained inside the door panel.

Here are the pics hope this is what you guys were looking for.

This is the location of the lower pocket LED. Drill the hole from the other side then push the LED through and secure with hot glue gun. I like this stuff as it dries pretty much right away, but is easy to remove if need be. its also clean and easy to use.

This is the location of the upper door handle LED. Its covered in electrical tape but drill this hole from this side and secure using the same method as the lower LED.

Here is the door lock switch. You can see where the 12V side goes and the ground is the lowest prong. You are looking at the switch from the top of it. So when your looking at the door panel the black wire gets soldered to the lowest spot, and the red one goes to the third from the bottom. You will have to remove the switch to do this but its just two screws.

Here is an over exposed picture but its just to show the lights. In person they are much more subtle and are about the same brightness as the other OEM ambient lights.

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 08-29-2011 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Fixed
LoveMyTL-S (08-29-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Nice write-up!

FYI: Just one man's opinion, but I would NOT recommend tapping an OE board lead for power; tap the supply line.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Looks very "sweet" indeed!

Not too bright =)
Old 08-28-2011, 08:37 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I might have to add this mod to my led lighting set-up.....
Old 08-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Nice write-up!

FYI: Just one man's opinion, but I would NOT recommend tapping an OE board lead for power; tap the supply line.

Well I didnt see what the problem was as the two leads I tapped were directly from the wire harness themselves so I dont really see what the difference is. I followed the wiring from the harness and it literally goes directly to these prongs and does not go through any other circuitry prior to that point. The other spots however do so do not go to any other spot except for what I have shown. So if there is something im missing please let me know as I do want to know.

EDIT:
I accidentially said the wrong thing on which points to solder to. The black wire gets soldered to the lowest spot, and the red wire goes to the 3rd from the bottom (not second like I original stated). So if the switch was held upright black is at bottom, then you skip a spot, then red one gets soldered in.

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 08-28-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

So if there is something im missing please let me know as I do want to know.
The TL, for whatever reason, is EXTREMELY temperamental when it comes to a consistent power delivery and I've replaced LEDs in select spots 2, even 3 times before I finally resort to throwing a voltage regulator in the line.

By tapping an already relatively unstable source (the lock switch is one of them), you can confound the matter and may create additional draw on the source for the doorhandle. It SHOULDN'T. But the power flow in this car is a goddamn mystery at some spots.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:18 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the additional pictures. This looks like it would go great with the all red interior lighting I've already got.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet mod! I may have to do that one day...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
EDIT:
I accidentially said the wrong thing on which points to solder to. The black wire gets soldered to the lowest spot, and the red wire goes to the 3rd from the bottom (not second like I original stated). So if the switch was held upright black is at bottom, then you skip a spot, then red one gets soldered in.
Fixed in the original post..... Great work! Very clean and subtle lighting.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
nice mod, you need some LED's for the front passenger and driver doors!

can you post a link to where you got your LED's for these subtle oem looking mods?
Old 08-29-2011, 02:39 PM
2006 TL: WDP/Ebony

Received 120 Likes on 119 Posts
Very nice mod, looks great
Old 08-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
damn looks good

I'm actually in the works on a project like this on my Mazda
Old 08-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
nice mod, you need some LED's for the front passenger and driver doors!

can you post a link to where you got your LED's for these subtle oem looking mods?
What exactly do you mean? Thats what this entire thread is about is how I now have LED's installed in my front driver and passenger doors

Here is the link for the LED's that I purchased. Keep in mind these are red since I have a Type S, but I would assume base TL owners would use blue.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320588187775
Old 08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Awesome
Old 08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
What exactly do you mean? Thats what this entire thread is about is how I now have LED's installed in my front driver and passenger doors

Here is the link for the LED's that I purchased. Keep in mind these are red since I have a Type S, but I would assume base TL owners would use blue.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320588187775
I think he means the stock (yellow) door light as seen in this picture =) :

Old 08-30-2011, 02:40 PM
10th Gear

very nice
Old 08-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Mod Clean Look!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
B A N N E D

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm a pansy and I don't mess with the electrical's in my car haha, but dope I wish I could do it!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Justnspace,
Good idea on the cup holder one. I have not really considered it but mainly because I have that cover closed all the time unless there is a drink in there. But I do have several extra LED's so I can try anything. The other reason is technically that area is already illuminated by the overhead ambient lights, but if I wanted something a little more pronounced kind of like that Jeep interior above I could.
I think it would be interesting ,a LED strip in the cup holder .
Old 09-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
James, I love it! That looks fantastic-come back to Kansas City and let's do that to my Type S!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by boyhamdzui
I think it would be interesting ,a LED strip in the cup holder .
A strip is overkill and will not make it look 'ambient', per say. 2 LEDs do the trick...

Acuraluvr (12-29-2011)

Quick Reply: Sweet interior lighting upgrade with pics and how to.