3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sure we replaced it....Not! (Sorry,a little lengthy)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure we replaced it....Not! (Sorry,a little lengthy)

So my '06 TL was in for the 5th time to have some rattles fixed. This time I went for a drive with one of the service guys and he determined that the new rattle was coming from the speaker in the center of the dash. Fine. I leave the car there for them to fix it.

They give me a loaner for the night and I pick my car up the next day. On the way home I noticed the grill cover is bent and a little warped. I was a little upset but not mad. I would rather have a bent mesh grill cover for the speaker then the annoying rattle that was coming from it. When I get home and look at the service report I see that they did note that the grill cover was bent and new one was on order.

A week later I get a post card and a call saying to come in and get the Mesh grill replaced. During this time a new rattle had developed. This time it seemed to come from the driver side tweeter. So I called them and schedule a time to have both items addressed at the same time. Once again I get a loaner and leave my car there over night.

The next day in the evening, I pick up my car and head home. The next day I take a close look at he center speaker mesh cover and it is bent and warped in the exact same places as before. I look at the work order and it does say that the mesh was replaced. But what a coincidense that is is bent and warped in the exact same place.

Like I said, it wasn't a big deal to me, but after I thought about for a day, I started to get mad. Appearently I was gullable and used to trust this place and they betrayed my trust . The customer service from them has always been outstanding so I won't mention the dealership name here but those of you that have read other post I made probably know which one I am talking about.

After dwelling on this for a day I decided that there are principalities involved and decided to confront them. The service manager was out on vacation, so I talked to the guy I worked with before him. I was polite, but pretty blunt with him. I told him the situation and of course he tried to say that it was replaced according to their records . He wanted me to bring my car in again for them to look at. I explained to him I have been in 5 times for rattles and now I have to bring my car in again for you to look at it to tell me you are going to order another mesh grill and then have me come in once again.

So to shorten this already long story, he is going to order the part (again) and then call me when it arrives to have replaced, again.

So the lesson I learned is that no matter how good the customer service is, there is always some lazy dimwitted tech that may be working on my car, so always double check there work.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:19 AM
Advanced

lemon?
Old 03-22-2007, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

This is exactly why I decided to fix my few rattles on my own. After seeing some of the techs at my dealership, I've decided to never let them touch my car unless absolutely necessary.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Racer

Wow, what a bummer. Sorry to hear about the problems.

It seems that the TL build quality may be inconsistent. I know a number of guys have problems with rattles, but I'm not one of them.

Anyone else have a fairly rattle free car? Is it a function of the weather; i.e. cold weather tends to generate more rattles?

gurney
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
It's a pain in the ass to have to deal with stuff like this. But holding back the dealer information only makes it harder for us. If we have similar problems with the same dealer, Acura needs to know, so things can get better.

You made not want to to make despairing remakes but...

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle

It seems that the TL build quality may be inconsistent. I know a number of guys have problems with rattles, but I'm not one of them.

Anyone else have a fairly rattle free car? Is it a function of the weather; i.e. cold weather tends to generate more rattles?

gurney
My 05 had rattles galore, that and a few other reason, I now have a 06. I have one rattle that comes and goes.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just trying to kill their loaner in revenge!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Certified A-Hole!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tidus888
just trying to kill their loaner in revenge!!!!

^^ LOL, Agreed!
Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Instructor

gurney

I am sure temperature has something to do with it. Someof the rattles my car has are consistent, but others come and go depending on interior and exterior temperatures.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Instructor

Well, I went into today and they put in the speaker grill...this time for real :wink:. It took them a whopping 10 minutes.

I ran into my sales guy while browsing amounst the new '07s and told him the story. He didn't really have anything to say about it .

Nonetheless, I am glad I called them on it. I hope they track down the lazy tech that did not replace the grill the first time and made them all look like liars , but I doubt they will.

"There are principalities involved!"
Old 03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation No...freaken'...way!

Originally Posted by ajdigerati
So my '06 TL was in for the 5th time to have some rattles fixed. This time I went for a drive with one of the service guys and he determined that the new rattle was coming from the speaker in the center of the dash. Fine. I leave the car there for them to fix it.

They give me a loaner for the night and I pick my car up the next day. On the way home I noticed the grill cover is bent and a little warped. I was a little upset but not mad. I would rather have a bent mesh grill cover for the speaker then the annoying rattle that was coming from it. When I get home and look at the service report I see that they did note that the grill cover was bent and new one was on order.

A week later I get a post card and a call saying to come in and get the Mesh grill replaced. During this time a new rattle had developed. This time it seemed to come from the driver side tweeter. So I called them and schedule a time to have both items addressed at the same time. Once again I get a loaner and leave my car there over night.

The next day in the evening, I pick up my car and head home. The next day I take a close look at he center speaker mesh cover and it is bent and warped in the exact same places as before. I look at the work order and it does say that the mesh was replaced. But what a coincidense that is is bent and warped in the exact same place.

Like I said, it wasn't a big deal to me, but after I thought about for a day, I started to get mad. Appearently I was gullable and used to trust this place and they betrayed my trust . The customer service from them has always been outstanding so I won't mention the dealership name here but those of you that have read other post I made probably know which one I am talking about.

After dwelling on this for a day I decided that there are principalities involved and decided to confront them. The service manager was out on vacation, so I talked to the guy I worked with before him. I was polite, but pretty blunt with him. I told him the situation and of course he tried to say that it was replaced according to their records . He wanted me to bring my car in again for them to look at. I explained to him I have been in 5 times for rattles and now I have to bring my car in again for you to look at it to tell me you are going to order another mesh grill and then have me come in once again.

So to shorten this already long story, he is going to order the part (again) and then call me when it arrives to have replaced, again.

So the lesson I learned is that no matter how good the customer service is, there is always some lazy dimwitted tech that may be working on my car, so always double check there work.
Word for word my exact story!!! I just got my car back today, but they said that they couldn't make it do the sound again, that it might have to do with the tempature outside. Then on the way home I noticed the center speaker mesh it a little warped and bent so I'm going to call them tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Always ask for the old parts! *always!*

I don't know about in other states, but in California, it's the law. If you demand to see the replaced/bad parts, they have to present them.

But worse than that, it's a matter of no longer trusting the service department.

Bad... BAD public relations!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Terminex

I agree, but....

Originally Posted by ajdigerati
Well, I went into today and they put in the speaker grill...this time for real :wink:. It took them a whopping 10 minutes.

I ran into my sales guy while browsing amounst the new '07s and told him the story. He didn't really have anything to say about it .

Nonetheless, I am glad I called them on it. I hope they track down the lazy tech that did not replace the grill the first time and made them all look like liars , but I doubt they will.

"There are principalities involved!"
It is a sense of what is right i.e. the principle, not principality (which is a state ruled by a prince)

Other than that I agree completely:-)

Sorry - cannot explain why little things like that annoy me.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:47 PM
2002 NBP TL-S

Originally Posted by PiperG
This is exactly why I decided to fix my few rattles on my own. After seeing some of the techs at my dealership, I've decided to never let them touch my car unless absolutely necessary.

hahaha, i agree 100%.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
gimme a 4G !!

what dealership is this ?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gurney
Definitely a function of temperature. For me, if my car is a "normal temperaure", it rattles like a mofo. But if it's kind of cold or kind of hot, it's dead silent inside. Which is frustrating, because I know I'll never be able to take it to the dealership to have the rattles fixed, because they're all inconsistent. It would be my luck that I take it to the dealership and they test drive it and nothing rattles at all.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You ONLY have the right to obtain any parts YOU paid for to be replaced

The warranty items get returned to Acura so you have NO rights to them
You can ask the parts manager to show them to you- that's who really handles warranty- the parts dept

Maybe some techs are slowly building their own car at home
piece by piece, a bulb here, a speaker grill there
Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by terminex
It is a sense of what is right i.e. the principle, not principality (which is a state ruled by a prince)

Other than that I agree completely:-)

Sorry - cannot explain why little things like that annoy me.

NP. Thanks for correcting me. I was in hurry typing it up and didn't take the time to look up the correct spelling.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:02 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

gurney
My '06 L is rattle free and I live in the northeast.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Eoanou
My '06 L is rattle free and I live in the northeast.
True, The 06 "L's" don't rattle, the 06 "TL's" do...

:-)
Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

Maybe some techs are slowly building their own car at home
piece by piece, a bulb here, a speaker grill there
LMAO!!

My 07 TL is rattle free (knock on wood). The only thing that used to rattle, that comes back once in a while, is the sub rattle, but for that a little repositioning of the cardboard I shoved under the rear deck takes care of it.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cracked my rim on a huge pothole, it was unavoidable.
Anyways, I brought it in to have it replaced, rim and tire, and I asked to have my old rim and tire in the trunk. They gave it to me, of course, it's something I bought.

The point is, when I got the tire back, it looked exactly like a new tire, but after the little incident, there was a little air pocket, due to broken wires inside of the wall. If I did not ask for the old tire back, they could have given me my original tire and I would not even notice it.

It's sitting in my basement right now, I'm going to go to city hall and shove it into their face. I want my $600 back for something that should have never happened.

Replaced parts are horrible, it defeats the purpose of a new car. I hate that wheel now.