Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Roof Creaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Sun Roof Creaking

Anyone beside me have any creaking in their sun roof? For months I haven't had any issues. Recently with the sun roof in the tilted position it started creaking and now most recently it has started creaking while closed. Any thoughts? Any others with this problem?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 06-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Anyone beside me have any creaking in their sun roof? For months I haven't had any issues. Recently with the sun roof in the tilted position it started creaking and now most recently it has started creaking while closed. Any thoughts? Any others with this problem?

Thanks,

Rob
Hmm.. I have been using the sun roof lately and thought I heard the headliner creaking more than before, it is possible it is the sun roof.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My sunroof rattles only when open and I hit bumps. It is kind of annoying and I don't know of a fix. From the best I can gather the problem is related to sliding piviot points for the wind deflector.

In terms of the two posts above, use the search. You need to go and buy some hook and loop and apply the loop to under the wind deflector to stop the rattle. If I wasn't so lazy i'd do the search for you...
Old 06-03-2004, 10:23 PM
SOLD

Me too, got it fixed

Mine seemed to creak when open or closed going over bumps and sometimes even just on rough roads. Went to the dealer and complained (plus numerous other rattles) and they apparently lubed the sunroof rails, fixed! Hasn't come back since...
Old 06-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Cruisin'

Sunroof creaking noise

I am on my second '04 TL and the first one did not give me this issue, but the second one does. I've found out though it's not the sunroof, but the moonroof visor. Do you have this? It seems to be the creaking of the plastic. I am going to take mine back to the dealer because the first one didn't do this and maybe this one was not installed properly or tight enough.

-Kirby
Old 06-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Man, I do have the visor! Maybe it is installed to tightly causing it to flex? I never even thought of it being the visor. Thanks, I'll try to look into this weekend.

TheNip
Old 06-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
Kirby,

How or why are you on your second 04TL already - stolen/totalled the first??

What do you guys mean by sunroof visor? We all have the wind deflector and the sliding cover, but am not sure what you mean by visor.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 06-07-2004, 10:49 PM
Cruisin'

Rob,

I am talking about the plastic accessory piece you can have installed as an option. It's called a visor. Basically it's a cover over your sunroof that deflects the wind when you have the sunroof/moonroof open. I hope that helps you.

Oh, by the way, I have my second TL because of dealership damage to the first one. You can read about it on a post I made to another forum titled REAR DECK BUZZES LIKE A MOFO. It's one of the last posts from June 04.

-Kirby
Old 06-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Cruisin'

TheNip,

No problem. I still haven't had mine looked at on my new TL, but on my other TL that was the issue. Let me know if that worked for you.

-Kirby
Old 07-30-2004, 10:04 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I have the same sunroof creaking problem and it only happens when the sunroof is open (horizontally) or closed. When it was closed, I tried pushing up on the glass and I was able to reproduce the sound that it makes when I'm driving. I usually don't hear it unless I'm going <30mph since the road noise takes over beyond that.

I tried applying silicone lube to the rubber seals around the glass, but it hasn't made difference. If anyone has any further suggestions I would love to hear it.

I do not have the visor.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I also have the creaking when closed and my tracks make a screeching noise when I close from the vent position.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Go USC Gamecocks!

I don't necessarily have any creaking, but I keep hearing these weird "pops" or "snaps" coming from around the same area. Sometimes it startles me it's so loud. Anybody else?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:30 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Pops or snaps might be the headliner cracking and creaking with the road. The headliner is really just a big piece of plastic (I think it's a fiberglass-ish material) upholstered on the side which you see and feel on the interior. It'll flex and make noises.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Advanced

My headliner makes a lot of noise at times. Is there a fix? Might not be so bad except that it is inches from my ears.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:57 AM
Go USC Gamecocks!

Originally Posted by Lore
Pops or snaps might be the headliner cracking and creaking with the road. The headliner is really just a big piece of plastic (I think it's a fiberglass-ish material) upholstered on the side which you see and feel on the interior. It'll flex and make noises.
Cool...I'm just glad to know nothings falling apart.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:02 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Has anyone experienced any more moonroof or sunroof (whatever you call it) creaks?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:38 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Not on this one, but my 3 previous 2nd gen TL's all did. There were so many "fixes" I got tired of going to the dealer, so I either opened it all the way, or turned the radio up.

My car has been amazingly quiet, although I did get a slight dash noise that I fixed by taking some 3M silicone spray with the spray extension on it, and ran a little bead of silicone at the base of the dash where it meets the windshield. That fixed that, and treating all the rubber seals around the doors, windows, and trunk with Meguiar's #39 got rid of the rest (I sprayed the metal contact points on the body with 3M silicone spray as well). Maybe my car is too new, or perhaps they worked out some early glitches, since my car is a later production (May).
Old 07-30-2004, 07:01 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks,

Rob
I would get a quality silicone spray and lube the rubber weatherstripping well - it takes quite a beating up there - most squeaks/creaks are caused by what we call in the trade "slip/stick phenomenon". This occurs when two surfaces, like the rubber and metal or glass that contacts it in the moonroof, move a little then bind up because the surfaces are not sliperry, then suddenly release, causing a noise. Kinda like how earthquakes occur. Often, liberally lubricating one or both of the surfaces helps.

If it is the roof hardware, sometimes an injection of heavy grease, like typical wheel bearing grease, will keep the surfaces from slip/sticking by mechanically isolating them.

Worth a try, cheap, and you can always go to the dealer.

Also, heavy silicone grease (called Syl-Glide) is available from NAPA, at a fraction of the cost of Honda's equivalent, which is Shin-Etsu grease.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:04 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I had the same issue with the moon roof in the tilt/vent position and took it in to the dealer to have it looked at. They could not find the source of the rattle/creak and said they tested two other new tls in their lot and they did the same thing.

They told me to bring it back in for further investigation but I have not had time to take it back yet. It only rattles/creaks when going over a rough surface or bump. It's annoying but not a major issue for me.

I'll probably take it back into the dealer one of these days...if I could ever stop driving it
Old 07-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

Rob
i have a shitload of creakin in my 03 TL-S Nav. like, a shitload. but i can't really hear it with the visor up (closed), and can't hear it at all with music. doesn't bother me....it's funny happened on my 01 loaded accord V6 too....dunno why it would do the same thing on an ACURA..........:-)
Old 07-30-2004, 09:53 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Road Rage,

Thanks for the insight about spraying the metal with the silicone and not just the rubber. I'll give that a shot.

There seems to be three rubber areas by the door - the seal on the door frame, the seal on the inside of the door, and the stiffer rubber on the outside of the door. Which one did you spray?

Oh, I took my car to the dealer for a quick fix on the sunroof issue today (the service advisor has been very helpful for these impromptu issues) and they applied some tape that quiet it down... except I have no idea where they put the tape. I can't really see it!

Haven't driven it enough to see if it's gone yet, but we'll see. It got really bad a few days ago when I was driving through the crappy-ass Downtown SF roads. Every 3 feet is patched and a different level than the rest of the road, causing a lot of grief to my car. I seriously thought my car was going to fall apart because of all the creaking, rattling, vibration, and general unpleasantry.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a 2003 TL-Type S and had the same creaking problem with the sunroof when closed. Found out Acura has a Technical Bulletin regarding this issue. But all they do is put a noise reduction tape around the sunroof which does eliminate the noise. Only problem is that the tape starts to come off as you use your sunroof. Had it replaced twice already and it started to peel off again. Apparently they need a better fix for this issue. Hope this helps
Old 09-05-2004, 10:16 PM
5th Gear

My headliner creaks right above my head. If I hold the roof with my hand while I'm driving it will stop. The dealer can't fix the problem. I'm taking my 04TL to an upholstery shop and having them put foam between the roof and headliner. I'm praying it will stop the popping/creaking. It drives me nuts.
Hope this helps
Harry
Old 09-05-2004, 10:27 PM
VTEC is happiness

yes, I too have noticed "creaking" in the headliner above--inititially it was only evident with the shade in the open position, but now it occurs in whatever position. I can get the noise to stop if I push UP in the area of the handle. I haven't brought this to my dealer's attention yet, but I am scheduled for a look at the center console door next week. I also have noises emanating from the passenger door region--earlier posts regarding tightening up this area may prove helpful, and I am about to seach for them. I think I will try the lubrication ideas presented by Road Rage, as they make sense and are easy to try.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:06 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only rattle I experienced was caused by the wind deflector apparently hitting the metal roof - only happened when the moonroof was in the vent position - fixed it by using 3 pieces of Velcro felt under the deflector - has to be placed there with the moon roof open so you can mount the felt directly underneath the deflector.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:14 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Jamus22
I got a 2003 TL-Type S and had the same creaking problem with the sunroof when closed. Found out Acura has a Technical Bulletin regarding this issue. But all they do is put a noise reduction tape around the sunroof which does eliminate the noise. Only problem is that the tape starts to come off as you use your sunroof. Had it replaced twice already and it started to peel off again. Apparently they need a better fix for this issue. Hope this helps
Can you tell me exactly where this noise reduction tape goes? I had them put this tape on my 04 TL but I can't, for the life of me, figure out where they put it!
Old 09-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lore
I have the same sunroof creaking problem and it only happens when the sunroof is open (horizontally) or closed. When it was closed, I tried pushing up on the glass and I was able to reproduce the sound that it makes when I'm driving. I usually don't hear it unless I'm going <30mph since the road noise takes over beyond that.

I tried applying silicone lube to the rubber seals around the glass, but it hasn't made difference. If anyone has any further suggestions I would love to hear it.

I do not have the visor.
To quiet any rubber seals, use Gummi Pflege Stift. The silicone will dry out and eventually you will get noise. "Der" Gummi stuff works. I hear that BMW owners havw used it to quiet sticky seals. You can order it on-line at www.detailersparadise.com.