Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street racers ARGHH!! need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by jda123
You guys should try driving a clean muscle car which stands out like a sore d*ck anymore. I just blow them a kiss and drive like normal. If somebody bothers to stop and talk to me, I invite them to the local strip on Wed nights and show them my stack of high-11-second slips in the glove box, which is still pretty slow. I have never, ever been bothered with my wife or kids in the car.

I must look too old driving around in my TL. I don't think that anybody here in KC even gives a TL a second look.
X2. I get everything imaginable trying to race my other car. The funny thing is it's mostly BMW owners or ricers. Sometimes I'll bring it up on the convertor a little to get them to take off. I don't know why but it bothers me when people try and race my TL. In the GN it's sort of expected and I always keep an eye out for a little fun. When I'm in the TL I just want to get from point A to point B and I don't want to be bothered. If the GF is in the car I have a pretty short fuse. If they try and race me more than a few times with me ignoring them I'll roll the window down and let them know what's about to happen.
Originally Posted by cmares2828
DUDE dont be ashamed of the TL TYPE S even with your GF in the car, she should be glad your not a boring kinda of guy in the base model, you purchased the Type S for a reason! You said it, BMW are linked to Douch bags, so what does the Type S say about you? Your girl will like the adventure but of course dont goiing messing with everycar all the time she with you. Oh and dont race the cars you know will beat you in front of your girl, only the ones you will win! it looks better for you in front of your girl.. take this from a girl racer, ME tl type s... ;-P
Wow!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
I bet I can beat that type-s with my base tl.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
you guys are lame. and seem to only know what fast and the furious told you about it.

an impromptu run to 60-80 mph is fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
This thread is lame and needs to be locked.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
This thread is lame and needs to be locked.

+1
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Atran713
good evening all, I just got back from a date with my gf and some douche bags in a bmw 3 series were trying to pick a race with me. I believe that it was either the 320 or 328. Definitely saw 32X. Followed me for a good couple of lights trying to get my attention at every red light. I just wanted a nice night out with the gf after midterms and run into this. Anyways, i dont believe in street racing and feel that if people can afford to mod cars, they should be able to afford going to a track to race. If they have enough money for a bmw, then track cost shouldnt be an issue. Tl's are nice cars and i dont expect to attract the street racers in a luxury car such as this. Maybe its the fact that i have the type s? But anyways, i just ignored them and after a while longer, they just sped up and cut me off. I guess this is why the bmw brand is now known to be owned by douches. THey are nice cars, dont get me wrong, but a lot of the population that owns one do not deserve it and puts the bmw brand to shame. Sorry about all this ranting but i felt embarrassed about this happenin with the gf in the car and couldnt do anything about it except tryin to get her mind off of it.

My question to fellow Tl drivers, especially those of you with type s. Does this occur to you frequently and how would you avoid such a situation? I love my car and would not want to risk it in a street race at all. If i have the need for speed, i would just set up a track day with all the buddies for some fast drivin
God bless this guy. You guys that say he should have taken that BMW are just dumb. For one hes being very responsible. He respects life. He loves his like and hiss g/f's life. Could you honestly imagine if he had of balled up and raced them and loosed control of his car an seriously injured or killed the young lady that he for all we know was seeing himself marrying? Job well don't for doing what you did. If more of these hoodlums took it to the track we'd have less incidents on the streets of the world. I'm ashamed at you members that said he should have taken him on.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Plastic schmastic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
God bless this guy. You guys that say he should have taken that BMW are just dumb. For one hes being very responsible. He respects life. He loves his like and hiss g/f's life. Could you honestly imagine if he had of balled up and raced them and loosed control of his car an seriously injured or killed the young lady that he for all we know was seeing himself marrying? Job well don't for doing what you did. If more of these hoodlums took it to the track we'd have less incidents on the streets of the world. I'm ashamed at you members that said he should have taken him on.
There have been several posts on this forum over the last couple of months, during my "getting acclimated" phase, when I've read what the poster had to say and thought "This guy is all right". More than one of those have been from you ParaSurfer.
So, that and $5 bucks can get you coffee in the morning!!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimmyl
There have been several posts on this forum over the last couple of months, during my "getting acclimated" phase, when I've read what the poster had to say and thought "This guy is all right". More than one of those have been from you ParaSurfer.
So, that and $5 bucks can get you coffee in the morning!!
Thank you... I try to be how my parents raised me to be. A mature, good natured adult. Hell at 10yo I was reading my dads stocks for him while he drank his coffee...lol. BTW I'll take my 5.00 cup ate Starbuck's please sugar free vanilla (im juvenile Diabetic).

Last edited by ParaSurfer1979; 02-09-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Cruisin'

thanks for all of your replies. i really appreciate the insights SOME of you have. I feel better knowing that you guys all experience the same thing from time to time and agree with my actions.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by tiffanyyoungg
haha i had the similar situation as you except my bf was in a separate car and a bmw picked on him. i decided to join in and kicked the bmws ass. went down 85mphdown a 35 street. you shouldve killed it no problem with your type-s
DUDE dont be ashamed of the TL TYPE S even with your GF in the car, she should be glad your not a boring kinda of guy in the base model, you purchased the Type S for a reason! You said it, BMW are linked to Douch bags, so what does the Type S say about you? Your girl will like the adventure but of course dont goiing messing with everycar all the time she with you. Oh and dont race the cars you know will beat you in front of your girl, only the ones you will win! it looks better for you in front of your girl.. take this from a girl racer, ME tl type s... ;-P
Double face palm.. This thread has attracted fail.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
JdMgIrlTyPeSgIrL

Well I see this thread did fail because u guys just suck, yes be responsible all day everday, but he asked for a reason. He likes to race! His issue was wether to go for it when his gf is in the car! So for all the douch bags that got heated up with a simple comment, I can't imagine how heated u would be if it where u being picked at by a bmw. So go somewhere with ur lame posts I'm sure they have a drivers ed forum sumwhere on the internet, go comment there!
Old 02-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Wants a TL. Stuck with a

Well I see this thread did fail because u guys just suck, yes be responsible all day everday, but he asked for a reason. He likes to race! His issue was wether to go for it when his gf is in the car! So for all the douch bags that got heated up with a simple comment, I can't imagine how heated u would be if it where u being picked at by a bmw. So go somewhere with ur lame posts I'm sure they have a drivers ed forum sumwhere on the internet, go comment there!
Okay that is exactly NOT what he said.

...how would you avoid such a situation? I love my car and would not want to risk it in a street race at all. If i have the need for speed, i would just set up a track day with all the buddies for some fast drivin

He said he wants to avoid such situations and would not risk his car in a street race. I'm sure there's a reading comprehension forum somewhere, go comment there!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overall you did the right thing. Just sometimes you gotta have some spunk for that Type S.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Plastic schmastic

What is it they say? "Don't go away mad, just........"
We can only hope!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Team Owner

It's good that you guys aren't street racing doing 100mph and weaving through traffic.... But some of you act like it's so bad to floor your TL to the speed limit or a little above. It's a 14-15 second FWD car. What exactly do you think is going to go wrong? I know I've "beaten" Mustangs and such just driving completely normal in the GN not knowing they were racing and it was completely drama free, just a little acceleration to the speed limit and then let off. With FWD you're not going to get sideways or lose control. There are some cars that accelerate as quick as a TL at 1/4 throttle. I don't see what the big deal is.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's good that you guys aren't street racing doing 100mph and weaving through traffic.... But some of you act like it's so bad to floor your TL to the speed limit or a little above. It's a 14-15 second FWD car. What exactly do you think is going to go wrong? I know I've "beaten" Mustangs and such just driving completely normal in the GN not knowing they were racing and it was completely drama free, just a little acceleration to the speed limit and then let off. With FWD you're not going to get sideways or lose control. There are some cars that accelerate as quick as a TL at 1/4 throttle. I don't see what the big deal is.
I understand what you're saying. I'm not going to try to deny that I haven't raced a few people before, but it was to ~10 over the speed limit and then I let off. I haven't done it in over a year though, I'm too focused on my MPG.

This is the shit that I can't justify:

Originally Posted by tiffanyyoungg
haha i had the similar situation as you except my bf was in a separate car and a bmw picked on him. i decided to join in and kicked the bmws ass. went down 85mphdown a 35 street. you shouldve killed it no problem with your type-s
Come on now.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
lol...this thread should just have a put on it. this is just not a good topic! before someone gets a because they catch feelings and mouth off.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
JdMgIrlTyPeSgIrL

@Myron-
R you kidding me! No one gets a TL type s for no apparent reason, do you know what the price difference is! i dont care what he said he like to race thats why he got the type S and not the Base model...besides like some guy said the type s is 14-15 second car so a quick run will not hurt anyone, he will be doing 100 max at 1/4 mile so im sure he will be doing a lot less, your old is the fact here which is why your really upset because your not in high school anymore, age can catch up to you but unfortunately not everyone feels like an old fart and scared to step on the gas a lil.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I understand what you're saying. I'm not going to try to deny that I haven't raced a few people before, but it was to ~10 over the speed limit and then I let off. I haven't done it in over a year though, I'm too focused on my MPG.

This is the shit that I can't justify:

Come on now.
I fully agree. I would have no mercy on a person doing what this poster mentioned. I have stories of catching these typs of people but it doesn't belong on the internet lol. I guess that's why you can't say that *some* street racing is ok if done to the speed limit because it opens the door for the idiots doing 85 in a 35 and that's how people get killed.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Plastic schmastic

@Myron-
R you kidding me! No one gets a TL type s for no apparent reason, do you know what the price difference is! i dont care what he said he like to race thats why he got the type S and not the Base model...besides like some guy said the type s is 14-15 second car so a quick run will not hurt anyone, he will be doing 100 max at 1/4 mile so im sure he will be doing a lot less, your old is the fact here which is why your really upset because your not in high school anymore, age can catch up to you but unfortunately not everyone feels like an old fart and scared to step on the gas a lil.
No, he just isn't young and stupid. Too stupid to realize that he is stupid.
Of course I'm not saying that you are. That would not be nice forum behavior, so I of course won't do that......
Suddenly I am very proud of my son!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Banned

@Myron-
Um someone buys a type S because they wanna weave and bob through traffic trying to prove how much biggeger his "Cocka doodle do" is compared to the next guy? Are you serious? Evey think customers buy the Type S to feel the road, for that extra thrill when passing on a 2-lane road/entering a freeway or they improved handling through the twisties. Responsible/mature MEN dont but a car so they can get out on the road and risk everyone elses lives out there. If this is the way you wanna leave this earth by all means please do but don't risk citizens with families or cars with kids in them becaus youn wanna prove that the BMW 335i next to isa waste of his cash. Some people in this forum need to get a life. I'm so glad the other forum I'm a member of doesn't allow any conversation pertaining to illigal racing or they are emmediately removed from the forum. Pushing a member to potentially KILL him or herself shouldn't be allowed if you ask me.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
@Myron-
He said it's a 14-15 second car so occasionally stepping on it up to the speed limit or a little over isn't a big deal. His point is your average driver isn't going to have much trouble controlling a car like this. What isn't smart is going 60 or 70 in a 35 zone. When you're driving in the city, there are so many places where cars can just show up when you're not expecting it. You wouldn't run into this situation on the highway.

Also, do you really think we "old farts" are afraid to put the throttle down? Not at all - we just prefer to do it at a different time and place.

Last edited by knavinusa; 02-10-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i NEVER race my TL-S. The S is just so people go "o that TL is a lil diff from the rest" mmhmm!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
thanks for all of your replies. i really appreciate the insights SOME of you have. I feel better knowing that you guys all experience the same thing from time to time and agree with my actions.
/ thread.