Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel shakes when stopped at redlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering wheel shakes when stopped at redlight

Hi Guys, I noticed that when I am standing at a red light and car is in Drive (06 5AT) there is a slight but perceptible tremor in the steering wheel. It is more pronounced in the lower part of the wheel than the upper of the wheel. Also, when the car warms up more, the vibrations lessen but are still noticeable. Any ideas regarding how to correct this? I have 45k on the car, and I thought about putting in some fuel injection cleaner. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Broken motor mount?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Well, i dont think its a broken motor mount cause it doesn't shake that bad. It's just a mild vibration, and it goes away when i shift to neutral or park.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Pro

Start with the FI cleaner and run it in 2 consecutive tanks. You'll need to run the car a little hard during this time as well. Given it some stick getting onto the freeway to open up the injectors (be safe however!).

Cheaper than motor mounts if it works but on my CL, I've broken 2 of them and I drive pretty gently (no drag launches). When they are broken, I notice it most at idle in D and when starting or stopping the motor. You get the feeling through the car that it is rattling around (which it effectively is). I didnt think TL's had this issue but they might.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Advanced

We used to have an old Prelude with a broken motor mount. When we were stopped at a light in Drive, it would shake the steering wheel a noticable amount. When we shifted it into Neutral, the vibration subsided a bit.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Do you have an intake installed? Any vacuum hoses loose?

It is not motor mounts, since you are feeling the vibration while idle. Do you hear any unusual noises?

Park you car while running it, open the hood, and touch the engine, look for vibration source.

Also, as you are turning your steering wheel while idle, does the vibration increase? any whooshing air noises?

And do not use any cleaners, or gun your car. Do the basic diagnostic. Cleaning fuel injectors has nothing to do with the vibration. If it was an engine/fuel problem, the vibration would increase with acceleration.

P.S. I'm thinking these are your fans kicking in; check them out first.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
my money says motor mounts....
Old 12-08-2008, 11:51 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TeknoKing

It is not motor mounts, since you are feeling the vibration while idle. Do you hear any unusual noises?

Park you car while running it, open the hood, and touch the engine, look for vibration source.

Also, as you are turning your steering wheel while idle, does the vibration increase? any whooshing air noises?

And do not use any cleaners, or gun your car. Do the basic diagnostic. Cleaning fuel injectors has nothing to do with the vibration. If it was an engine/fuel problem, the vibration would increase with acceleration.

dont forget these motors mounts have vacuum lines in them, so that when you are at idle in gear, they release some pressure, not all..

when you shift to park or neutral , all pressure is removed from the engine mounts

people who have the innovative mounts on the 3G TL, must know by now... i know when i stop at a red light, in gear.. my car shakes like C-R-A-Z-Y.. i actually have to put it in neutral at red lights to make my change stop rattling like crazy
Old 12-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Unhappy

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
dont forget these motors mounts have vacuum lines in them, so that when you are at idle in gear, they release some pressure, not all..

when you shift to park or neutral , all pressure is removed from the engine mounts

people who have the innovative mounts on the 3G TL, must know by now... i know when i stop at a red light, in gear.. my car shakes like C-R-A-Z-Y.. i actually have to put it in neutral at red lights to make my change stop rattling like crazy
HELP PLEASE!!!
I just got my trany replaced at the dealer, and as i was driving car from the dealership I noticed that when waiting at the light, the car being completely stopped, (I GOT A 5AT) my steering wheel vibrates also I get vibration from under the seat, it becomes worse when having the heat on. But the car is smooth when driving off
. I took the car back and the tech guy first said to give it a couple of days because there is a relearning process for the new transmission. Than I came back to the dealer after 2weeks: the mechanic got me inside another TL (was a type S 08) and it had some vibration too when on drive or reverse, but not as much as mine, he also took the car in and retorqued the mounts, he took the exhaust out put back in and retorqued as well he looked under and he said he couldn’t find anything and he gave me the usual “IT’S NORMAL FOR THIS CARS” . MY CAR DIDN’T DO THIS BEFORE, OR AT LEAST NOT AS THIS NOTICEBLE.
PLEASE GUYS I NEED U’R HELLP !!
ALSO HOW DO U CHECK THE PRESURE IN THE TRANSMISION????
Old 12-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^ make your own thread
Old 12-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

Cool, thank you. I've learned something.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by tolea
HELP PLEASE!!!
I just got my trany replaced at the dealer, and as i was driving car from the dealership I noticed that when waiting at the light, the car being completely stopped, (I GOT A 5AT) my steering wheel vibrates also I get vibration from under the seat, it becomes worse when having the heat on. But the car is smooth when driving off
. I took the car back and the tech guy first said to give it a couple of days because there is a relearning process for the new transmission. Than I came back to the dealer after 2weeks: the mechanic got me inside another TL (was a type S 08) and it had some vibration too when on drive or reverse, but not as much as mine, he also took the car in and retorqued the mounts, he took the exhaust out put back in and retorqued as well he looked under and he said he couldn’t find anything and he gave me the usual “IT’S NORMAL FOR THIS CARS” . MY CAR DIDN’T DO THIS BEFORE, OR AT LEAST NOT AS THIS NOTICEBLE.
PLEASE GUYS I NEED U’R HELLP !!
ALSO HOW DO U CHECK THE PRESURE IN THE TRANSMISION????

That is not normal!!

Also check and put your car in Neutral.. then Drive.. Is there a lag before the gear kicks in?? How's your throttle response.. does it lag??

Like erick3 said.. Make your own thread.. don't take *ish from the Mechanic.. Relearning?? unbelievable.. how long is your warranty? did you get the work from Acura?

Sad to hear.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Also.. I second that bet.. Motor Mount.. Hopefully it's just the rear but more than likely if the rear or side failed it's due to a failed front motor mount..

There is a TSB on the 2G TL not sure if there's one on the 3G for front motor mount.. Here's the link for the 2G: http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B06-014.PDF

Last edited by Majofo; 12-09-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeknoKing

No intake installed. It's unlikely that vacuum hoses are loose because i recently changed my engine air filter and triple checked to make sure that all the hoses were plugged in.

I have observed the following, when the car is cold in the morning, the rpm's are higher and there is no vibration when in gear. However, when i drive a bit, and the rpms fall to about 700, the vibration is more pronounced when stopped in gear at a stoplight. So, I think it has to do with low idle rpms (about 700) set by the ECU to conserve gas when the car is warmed up.

I even tired to hold the brake and very gently tap the gas to increase the rpms to about 900, as soon as i do that, the vibrations or tremor goes away.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Definitely have to concur with the motor mounts no this one. I had this problem not too long after purchasing the car and that was the issue.