Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRT-4 VS TL6SPD VS other $8,000 car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRT-4 VS TL6SPD VS other $8,000 car

Ok, so I had a TL 6SPD for 2 years and before that I had a auto civic... I made the mistake of trying to purchase the TL work to pay for it and go to school. The time came where I choose school/my future over the current job I had and the TL...

Im soon to be out of school, and im starting to try to choose my next car. Im leaning towards a 2004ish SRT4.. They seem to be good performance value for the price. Pretty much, a 2004 SRT4 is about even with a 2004 TL6spd, with the SRT4 maybe having the edge. How do you guys feel about the SRT4 vs the TL vs another car in the 8,000ish category
Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Ughh... Anyone?? TL vs SRT4 vs Cobalt SS vs Saturn Red Line??? Opinions?
Old 10-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Depends on what you want as those other 3 are marketed normally towards those looking for their first, little performance car (normally in the young 20's?) or older men looking for a something quick but cheap.
If you're looking solely for performance, that SRT4 is your best bet. If you want a little bit of performance, but enjoy some nice luxury to go with it, the TL is there.

Simply put, those cars & the TL are not competitors in the car market, so it ultimately comes down to you & what you want.

The only way I can think of you getting the best of SRT4 & TL is to just shoot for a Type S.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 10-07-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
Depends on what you want as those other 3 are marketed normally towards those looking for their first, little performance car (normally in the young 20's?) or older men looking for a something quick but cheap.
If you're looking solely for performance, that SRT4 is your best bet. If you want a little bit of performance, but enjoy some nice luxury to go with it, the TL is there.

Simply put, those cars & the TL are not competitors in the car market, so it ultimately comes down to you & what you want.

The only way I can think of you getting the best of SRT4 & TL is to just shoot for a Type S.

I know there not competitors, but they do run similiar 1/4 stock times. And since I previously had a TL I wanted to get some TL owners opinions on the SRT4 and other cars which run similiar times to the TL and SRT4.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

If you're just looking for cars that are similar to the TL & SRT4's 1/4 mile times, then it sounds like you may be more interested in a performance car.

And in that case, the SRT4 is what you'll want. Doesn't matter if they run similar times now, a little bit of cash in the Dodge & it'll drag TL's all day.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
I personally wouldn't go near an SRT-4 very very unreliable and terrible quality. But if all you wanna do is go fast then go for it...
Old 10-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL have u seen the srt-4's interior? its garbage
you already drive a TL why downgrade?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ruby
I personally wouldn't go near an SRT-4 very very unreliable and terrible quality. But if all you wanna do is go fast then go for it...
Agreed, poor quality and unrealible. Hell it doesnt even have power windows in the back lol
Old 10-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Instructor

I guess performance is my primary goal.. And I agree, the srt4 interior or exterior for that matter is no where near the TL. but its also 1/2 the price or less... the reliability is an issue as well, I was going to see if I could purchase one of those warranties that I see advertised on tv...
Old 10-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Suzuka Master

As far as reliability issues go, most of them now-a-days are going to stem from the previous owner beating the shit out of the car. If you look for a low mileage, well cared for one, I'm sure it'll last you nicely.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all the input! Yea I suppose I will just look for one with low miles... Make sure all the gears shift without problem.. Wot to make sure it can handle it. Im not too knowledgeable with looking under the hood but I have a couple friends who can look under the hood.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

The aftermarket support for these cars can bring it up to 600whp, so there's plenty of nice parts to replace any ones with issues.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yea its sounds like you are definitely looking for performance. For $8K I'd look for a TT 300ZX or a TT 3000GT. They are older cars, and the insurance may be more also. I had an 01 Dodge Ram 4x4 before I got my 07 TL-S and paid about $10 more a month on insurance on the dodge....
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Civic Si or RSX-S?

Sure as hell beats the Neon in reliability....and pretty much everything else besides straight-line performance.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by alexSU
Civic Si or RSX-S?

Sure as hell beats the Neon in reliability....and pretty much everything else besides straight-line performance.
Civic .... DX lol. It never had a problem in the 3 years I had it. But it would take that car an hour to do a 45 min trip it was a good car for what it was, good on gas and reliable. I just wish I still had the 5,500 from when I totalled it - instead of putting a down payment on a TL, paying an additional 9,000 into the TL then selling the TL. FML
Old 10-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
He meant you could have the Civic Si as a replacement. If you'e lucky you could snag an 06 for $8grand. Maybe a GTI?

I think you'll have a hard time getting good opinions on this site, as most people are more concerned with interior quality with a little bit of performance. You seem to be more concerned with performance with a little bit of quality. Different strokes. Here most people will say the cars you're looking at are crappy, unreliable POSs. Over on Neon forums, they'll say the TL is an overweight dog.

If I were you, I'd try to find something in between, which is why I recommended the GTI.

Out of your choices though, I'd go for the SRT-4, or the SS Cobalt if it's the turbo version. But beware, those depreciate like hell.

Good luck
Old 10-08-2010, 11:05 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
If it were me I would go with TL 6spd, Maxima SE 6MT, Altima SE 5MT or Accord V6 06-07 Sedan 6MT if you're looking for sedans. There isn't really an order to it. It would just depend on condition and mileage for me. That would be the selling point. I would stay away from SRT-4's and Ion redlines IMO.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:16 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SatinSilverAV6
If it were me I would go with TL 6spd, Maxima SE 6MT, Altima SE 5MT or Accord V6 06-07 Sedan 6MT if you're looking for sedans. There isn't really an order to it. It would just depend on condition and mileage for me. That would be the selling point. I would stay away from SRT-4's and Ion redlines IMO.
Agreed, all good options there. Might be a bit tougher finding the Max or TL is 6spd than the other 2 as they were produced in way less numbers, but I'm with ya!
Old 10-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Those cars are in a completely different class from what the OP's looking for. Nobody cross-shops an SRT-4 and a Cobalt with TLs, Accords, and Maximas.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by alexSU
Civic Si or RSX-S?

doesnt the rsx-s run the quarter mile a tenth or or slower than the srt runs it.

buddy of mine had a srt and i thought it was a reall fun car to drive, handled nicely and the interior wasnt all that bad, who cares about the back seats not having power windows, if thats gonna be a big deal get an aftermarket power window kit, im gonna say rsx but the srt is fun also
Old 10-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Yea.. I am a big fan of Honda and I do like the way the SI and RSX look alot better then the srt4.. But im under the impression that the srt4 is much quicker.. stock vs stock and once you start to mod it only gets worste
Old 10-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If all your looking for is performance then an SS/TC balt would probably float your boat. The SRT4s handle like shiet and torque steer
Old 10-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AtlM5
If all your looking for is performance then an SS/TC balt would probably float your boat. The SRT4s handle like shiet and torque steer
And a fucking Cobalt SS doesn't?
Old 10-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Under construction

Originally Posted by AtlM5
I'm pretty sure both of the cars mentioned have torque steer....shit, my TL has torque steer :/

Anyways OP, your right about the SRT4/Cobalt being a lot more mod friendly.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:56 AM
slobalt defender

Received 348 Likes on 185 Posts
I like my cobalt, very easy to mod and make quick. An srt4 would be nice and they do have more potential, but their reliability sucks
Old 10-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HockeyMan0920
I like my cobalt, very easy to mod and make quick. An srt4 would be nice and they do have more potential, but their reliability sucks
maybe i could find a srt4 with a warranty.. Of course thatll cost more...
Old 10-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Your Friendly Canadian

The only SRTs with any warranty left are probably the Caliber-based ones, and I doubt those are any good.

I can't believe nobody's mentioned this yet: WRX?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I was saying the torque steer on an SRT4 is ridiculous even compared to an SS/TC...
Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
And a fucking Cobalt SS doesn't?
Old 10-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want all around performance and a car that would stomp the shiat out of all cars listed for minimul $ then I would go for a 2.7L TT S4 and enjoy whoopin as on the straights and the twisties.. $8,000.00 would prolly get you one already setup with the K04s
Old 10-15-2010, 04:54 AM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
SRT-4 all day long. They sound so mean even out of the box. With some coils or springs, they can look damn sexy without any other exterior modifications. I've always wanted one but even they are currently out of my price range. People hate on the interior but honestly I like it, one thing that really attracts me are the very bucket seats, they look really nice, idk why...just a thing I have for them I guess.

Yes, I use to own an RSX Type S, on forums I'd hear nothing but bashing on how unreliable the SRT-4 is, but who knows.

If not that, take a look at GS-T or even GSX Eclipse, those are quick, really quick with very little cash.

Stay away from the S/C cobalts, those are pieces of shit...my RSX can hang with those no problems when I had it.

DEF. stay away from 3000GT or TT 300 because those are heavy as fuck and just a waste of time IMO.

An S4 is actually a good car to look at as well, my buddy Vic has one, it's damn quick and he only has an exhaust on it.

Also be sure to keep your eyes open for anything small with a swapped LS1 motor. My buddy Ahmed bought a 91' Notchback Mustang with an LS1 motor and tranny, bone stock...he dominates on Cobras like it's nothing, even the modded ones.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Racer

Cool

Originally Posted by ineedmyfixofacura
SRT-4 all day long. They sound so mean even out of the box. With some coils or springs, they can look damn sexy without any other exterior modifications. I've always wanted one but even they are currently out of my price range. People hate on the interior but honestly I like it, one thing that really attracts me are the very bucket seats, they look really nice, idk why...just a thing I have for them I guess.

Yes, I use to own an RSX Type S, on forums I'd hear nothing but bashing on how unreliable the SRT-4 is, but who knows.

If not that, take a look at GS-T or even GSX Eclipse, those are quick, really quick with very little cash.

Stay away from the S/C cobalts, those are pieces of shit...my RSX can hang with those no problems when I had it.

DEF. stay away from 3000GT or TT 300 because those are heavy as fuck and just a waste of time IMO.

An S4 is actually a good car to look at as well, my buddy Vic has one, it's damn quick and he only has an exhaust on it.

Also be sure to keep your eyes open for anything small with a swapped LS1 motor. My buddy Ahmed bought a 91' Notchback Mustang with an LS1 motor and tranny, bone stock...he dominates on Cobras like it's nothing, even the modded ones.

^^I Couldn't have said it better^^
Old 10-16-2010, 02:56 AM
slobalt defender

Received 348 Likes on 185 Posts

Stay away from the S/C cobalts, those are pieces of shit...my RSX can hang with those no problems when I had it.DEF. stay away from 3000GT or TT 300 because those are heavy as fuck and just a waste of time IMO.

a properly tuned ss/sc is a quick car, unless the rsx is boosted it isn't even a close race. Not getting butthurt, but cobalts like mine are mid 14s stock and well into the 13s modded.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Instructor

thanks for the input
Old 10-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So I looked up the neon srt-4 to see what the fuss was about when it came to the interior. Fellaz...forget comparing it to a TL... it doesn't even hold a candle to a 1994 Toyota corolla interior. If you think I'm kidding do a google search or hop on autotrader and check out the interiors... Neon srt-4 is 10 yrs newer to a '94 corolla yet it looks 30 yrs older and seriously dated....go figure???

Everyone has their fancy, and sounds like the OP is trying to max on performance with a very limited budget. If the budge is fundamental...do your homework, listen to what folks are saying on the board. No point sinking money into a car like the srt-4....seems like the kind of car that will spend most of its time on ramps than on the street. Not a smart candidate for the next ride...all the best on your search. Stay smart!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Originally Posted by HockeyMan0920
a properly tuned ss/sc is a quick car, unless the rsx is boosted it isn't even a close race. Not getting butthurt, but cobalts like mine are mid 14s stock and well into the 13s modded.
That's gotta be the farthest thing from the truth I've heard since MazdaspeedGod was trolling the forums. A bolt on/Kpro RSX will easily hang with a bolt on SC/SS. The TC/SS is a different story. I'm not taking anything away from the Cobalt SS, however an RSX with any kind of boost should slaughter the Cobalt unless it has some work done; meaning smaller pulley/meth/tune/blah blah. Mid 14s stock is only slightly quicker than an RSX-s stock. Bolt on/Kpro RSX's are running 13s as well.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Getting it Done

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
That's gotta be the farthest thing from the truth I've heard since MazdaspeedGod was trolling the forums. A bolt on/Kpro RSX will easily hang with a bolt on SC/SS. The TC/SS is a different story. I'm not taking anything away from the Cobalt SS, however an RSX with any kind of boost should slaughter the Cobalt unless it has some work done; meaning smaller pulley/meth/tune/blah blah. Mid 14s stock is only slightly quicker than an RSX-s stock. Bolt on/Kpro RSX's are running 13s as well.
took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sonnick
Well, ill have to test drive a RSX.. Because exterior/interior I like the RSX wayyy better then srt4/cobalt.. Not to mention a RSX is much more reliable.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Under construction

You can't go wrong with an RSX. Personally, I think it looks better then the cobalt or neon...another plus.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Racer

I still say go with the S4 over the others if your wanting a fast car! I've seen seen these cars hit as low as9s but see a lot of them in the 10s and 11s all day long! Nice enterior for what it is! I've been thinking about getting one also since they are great strip and track cars...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

RSX + boost = win.

Torque steer, but win.

Quick Reply: SRT-4 VS TL6SPD VS other $8,000 car