Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Shifting

It's definitely more fun using SS. So, just wanted to get the expert drivers tips on what is the best way to shift.

I know shifting from 1st to 2nd is automatic. But from 3rd on, we have more control. Is it best to shift at around 4500 rpms or more? Seems when I shift at 4500 rpm, the car "lags" a bit before shifting into the higher gear.

Also, am I supposed to let off the gas or just keep it down as normal?

Thanks for any inputs.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:00 PM
10th Gear

I find it works better (less Lag) if you don't let off the gas. As far as shift point it depends on your driving, you figure vtec dosent engage until about 4200rpms or so....so I usually shift between 5000-5800.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Instructor

i like to shift at around 4500+ with the VSA off, and i always give a nice boost when shifting (eases the lag). My favorite is hitting 4th gear around 50 mph -- i usually keep my rpm's below 2500 when possible during normal driving.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubus12
It's definitely more fun using SS. So, just wanted to get the expert drivers tips on what is the best way to shift.

I know shifting from 1st to 2nd is automatic. But from 3rd on, we have more control. Is it best to shift at around 4500 rpms or more? Seems when I shift at 4500 rpm, the car "lags" a bit before shifting into the higher gear.

Thanks for any inputs.
Don't let up on the gas like a manual. Just keep your foot where it is and tap the SS. For better MPG (and less excitement), shift to 3rd at 30 mph, 4th at 40 mph, 5th at 50 mph. For more excitement (and less MPG), don't shift into 3rd until just before the rev limiter at 6500 rpm (about 70 mph) - great for freeway on-ramp acceleration!!!
Old 07-27-2005, 06:00 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
Don't let up on the gas like a manual. Just keep your foot where it is and tap the SS. For better MPG (and less excitement), shift to 3rd at 30 mph, 4th at 40 mph, 5th at 50 mph. For more excitement (and less MPG), don't shift into 3rd until just before the rev limiter at 6500 rpm (about 70 mph) - great for freeway on-ramp acceleration!!!
I agree. That 2nd gear up to about 70 is a fun blast. I love launching that way, especially when there's someone behind me acting like they're going to blow past me as soon as the lanes open up.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:10 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

2nd + redline is fun.
3rd + high rev is still fun with less gas consumption.

Just a little side story.
Two minutes ago on the way home, an old BMW X5 4.4i was driving like it was gonna kill me after I merged from dead stop to 40MPH traffic. I had to floor gas so the woman doesn't honk at me. I filled up tank with regular 87 octane and I felt less power coming out. I would of gone all the way up to 100MPH and left that heavy old X5 in dust if it was open road.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:12 PM
Racer

When a car magazine tests the 0-60 time on a TL automatic, do they use sport shift mode or just put it in drive?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Instructor

when i was test driving it..i didnt even need to shift. it just went into the next gears for me :\

do i have to take VSA off to control my shifts? or does it just automatically shift?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by empathy
when i was test driving it..i didnt even need to shift. it just went into the next gears for me :\

do i have to take VSA off to control my shifts? or does it just automatically shift?
the ss mode only shifts automatically from 1st to 2nd, after that it stays in gear
Old 07-27-2005, 11:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike05TL
I find it works better (less Lag) if you don't let off the gas. As far as shift point it depends on your driving, you figure vtec dosent engage until about 4200rpms or so....so I usually shift between 5000-5800.
I guess my perception is off. I notice a lag if I try to shift from 2nd to 3rd at 30 mph unless I let off of the gas, shift then go back on the gas. To me my TL has that old fashion shift jerk and I'm pushed back into my seat as I step back on the gas as soon as the gears change.

The TL needs an SMG type of tranny. No torque converter to rob power.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
I guess my perception is off. I notice a lag if I try to shift from 2nd to 3rd at 30 mph unless I let off of the gas, shift then go back on the gas. To me my TL has that old fashion shift jerk and I'm pushed back into my seat as I step back on the gas as soon as the gears change.

The TL needs an SMG type of tranny. No torque converter to rob power.
the car has an automatic tranny, not a manual, so there is no need to let off the gas pedal unless you are trying to slow down.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

what about deccelerating? do u drop down gears or just brake and let the SS downshift for u?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by black321
what about deccelerating? do u drop down gears or just brake and let the SS downshift for u?
Just brake and let it downshift for you. No need to manually downshift unless you are in trouble and need the extra engine braking.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Are you suppose to be putting premium gas in your TL as Acura recommended?

Originally Posted by Actuary
2nd + redline is fun.
3rd + high rev is still fun with less gas consumption.

Just a little side story.
Two minutes ago on the way home, an old BMW X5 4.4i was driving like it was gonna kill me after I merged from dead stop to 40MPH traffic. I had to floor gas so the woman doesn't honk at me. I filled up tank with regular 87 octane and I felt less power coming out. I would of gone all the way up to 100MPH and left that heavy old X5 in dust if it was open road.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by black321
If I'm driving aggressively, I usually blip the throttle as I downshift manually so the downshift is not so harsh on the tranny. If I just so happen to be in SS mode and come to a stop sign, I'll brake and let the tranny downshift itself.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by rbf351
the car has an automatic tranny, not a manual, so there is no need to let off the gas pedal unless you are trying to slow down.
Uhmm. I know this thanks. My '02TL had SS. The point I was making was this. There is a delay in when the driver selects a higher gear and when the computer decides it is "ok". To me, this makes SS pointless to a degree as the computer is doing the deciding. Not sure if Honda has made any sort of software changes to make the system respond faster.

With that said, if I drive aggessively then gear changes are "right now" cause I guess the computer swithes to a "sport" mode.

On comparison when I test drove the new 325i and GS is that their "manual" mode changed gears when I called for them.

So, what I personnally have noticed is that when I let off the gas, change gears, then go back to the throttle my gear selection was not only made when I wanted it but the TL accelerates better then if I kept on the throttle, waited for a gear change that may or may not happen depending on what speed I am driving at a given time, and kept on accelerating.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DFBRL8R
If I'm driving aggressively, I usually blip the throttle as I downshift manually so the downshift is not so harsh on the tranny. If I just so happen to be in SS mode and come to a stop sign, I'll brake and let the tranny downshift itself.
I'm going to have to try that.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by DFBRL8R
Wait. It's possible to blip the throttle in an automatic if you are not in Neutral?

How?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Wait. It's possible to blip the throttle in an automatic if you are not in Neutral?

How?
I know Infiniti does it electronically. I think BMW's are programmed the same way as well.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Shift_faster

What I meant was that I don't think the driver can manually blip the throttle since you are not disconnecting the tranny from the engine. If you do "blip" the throttle, you will end up accelerating.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Pro

What I meant was that I don't think the driver can manually blip the throttle since you are not disconnecting the tranny from the engine. If you do "blip" the throttle, you will end up accelerating.
Yeah, your right. It's been along time since I owned a manual tranny car.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:59 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

When downshifting in SS mode, I apply a little gas to make the shift smooth. I only need to apply as much as I would to hold the speed constant.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluenoise
When downshifting in SS mode, I apply a little gas to make the shift smooth. I only need to apply as much as I would to hold the speed constant.

you will end up accelerating. you cant really drive the SS mode like a manual tranny. it just dosent work that way.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:17 PM
Shift_faster

Old 07-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Pro

you will end up accelerating. you cant really drive the SS mode like a manual tranny. it just dosent work that way.
you wont accelerate. he is trying to say that when he downshifts, instead of the rpms rising because of the load on the tranny, he gives a little gas to ease the load and match rpms
Old 07-28-2005, 03:39 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by massr1
you wont accelerate. he is trying to say that when he downshifts, instead of the rpms rising because of the load on the tranny, he gives a little gas to ease the load and match rpms
Exactly. Accelerating = increasing speed. I'm not increasing speed when matching RPMs for the downshift.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by massr1
People. It is an auto tranny. There is no clutch to disengage the engine from the transaxle. How are you matching rpms for the next gear if you are not really disengaging the engine & the transaxle? It is impossible unless the car automatically does it (as in the case of the G35).

A driver cannot manually rev-match in an automatic transmission. If you can, please feel free to run me through the process.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
For those who like to try on their 6MTs... Double Clutching -- Necessary or not?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:25 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

People. It is an auto tranny. There is no clutch to disengage the engine from the transaxle. How are you matching rpms for the next gear if you are not really disengaging the engine & the transaxle? It is impossible unless the car automatically does it (as in the case of the G35).

A driver cannot manually rev-match in an automatic transmission. If you can, please feel free to run me through the process.
Correct, but the torque converter is also not as direct a connection as a clutch, so there is some amount of play. What we're describing is not true rev-matching. It just helps to give a little throttle when downshifting. Consider this (I don't know the real numbers offhand, so bear with me):

You're in fifth gear at 2200 RPM and you want to shift to third. If you let your foot off the throttle, the RPM is still pretty much 2200 RPM because there is no clutch to disengage. Now you shift down to third, but the engine wants to be at idle (no throttle still), so it resists the sudden increase in RPM due to the transmission trying to drive it faster. Clunk!

Now do the same, but don't take your foot off the gas. Consider the throttle position when you're cruising in fifth compared to when you're cruising in third. It's roughly the same, so keep it there during the shift and it will be very smooth.

At least take a drive and try it before saying it won't work. Obviously, there are some of us that do this regularly.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubus12

Thanks for any inputs.
"lags"?? Yah, agree, our SS mode sucks... I used to remember Acura says that 3GTL's auto tranny has faster response than 2GTL's, I should test-drive 2GTL's SS mode...

If... if I use SS mode for the regular drive, I'll upshift gears before 3k RPM... If I like to get the "spirited" ride, I'll only upshift after 6k RPM.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

I have an auto and I rarely use the sport shift. I only use it to maintain gears going up and down hills. For the rest of the time, if I want a downshift, I know how much gas to give to get it to kick down a gear or two (since I usually only want it to downshift when I want to poke around other cars). With autos its a matter of knowing how to use your right foot to coax it where you want it.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:56 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by ekumar
I have an auto and I rarely use the sport shift. I only use it to maintain gears going up and down hills. For the rest of the time, if I want a downshift, I know how much gas to give to get it to kick down a gear or two (since I usually only want it to downshift when I want to poke around other cars). With autos its a matter of knowing how to use your right foot to coax it where you want it.
I agree. There are only a few times when I'll use the SS:

1. Going around a cloverleaf onramp quickly. I lock into 2nd so I can use the throttle to balance the weight between the front and rear wheels.

2. In slow-and-go traffic. I leave it in a relatively-low gear again to regulate my speed without using the brakes. It also gives me more pick-up should I see someone about to rear-end me.

3. Going down a long hill without riding the brakes.

For virtually every other situation, I leave it in auto mode.

I am disappointed about the lag, too. It's not what I was expecting as I've never driven SS before. It seems no different than any other AT where there is "D321" on the selector.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro

We'd be better off prehaps with an SMG/ DSG type of tranny with an electronic clutch. But that may be more of an NSX thing. Unless the new tranny in the RDX is one as Justin once indicated that a new tranny would appear in that before anyother Acura.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Cruisin'

yeah, the SS lags a bit. I'm not saying I don't like the tranny though. Just I have limited use for that feature. Plus, I'd rather leave it in auto mode versus shifting w/o a clutch. It just seems odd.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Now do the same, but don't take your foot off the gas. Consider the throttle position when you're cruising in fifth compared to when you're cruising in third. It's roughly the same, so keep it there during the shift and it will be very smooth.

At least take a drive and try it before saying it won't work. Obviously, there are some of us that do this regularly.
I agree, I do this all the time now that I figured out how a few months ago. I don't think I have ever dropped two gears, but I definetly drop 1 gear using this tactic. You have to practice a little since the response times are not perfectly insnyc.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Instructor

I agree, but only if your timing is off. I have been doing this with our Civic for a long time. Shifting from D to 3 then 2, there is a little delay. The gears just don't bang in there like an F1. During this delay, you can blip the throttle. Same thing in the TL w/SS. There's enough delay between gears to do this. However... It is difficult to do under hard braking. You will experience a push forward if your timing is off. Therefore, get your braking done before entering the corner. With practice it becomes second nature.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rets
For those who like to try on their 6MTs... Double Clutching -- Necessary or not?

if u want to run a 30 seconds 1/4 mile time, go ahead and double clutch and not make use of ur synchronizers.

you had to double clutch in older cars because they did not have synchronizers.

you must of had watched the fast and the furious a little too much.

powershifting..all that bs..

the only thing you will need is to clutch fast and shift fast. the IRL, indy, F1, nascar, jgtc, and more do not powershift. their mechanics will stab the drivers after a race. imagine replacing the transmission after every race.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Shift_faster

Correct, but the torque converter is also not as direct a connection as a clutch, so there is some amount of play. What we're describing is not true rev-matching. It just helps to give a little throttle when downshifting. Consider this (I don't know the real numbers offhand, so bear with me):

You're in fifth gear at 2200 RPM and you want to shift to third. If you let your foot off the throttle, the RPM is still pretty much 2200 RPM because there is no clutch to disengage. Now you shift down to third, but the engine wants to be at idle (no throttle still), so it resists the sudden increase in RPM due to the transmission trying to drive it faster. Clunk!

Basically, you are saying you don't take your foot off the gas when shifting using SS right? I knew that...that just doesn't seem like the definition of rev-matching (in terms of a manual only).

Hey, if you auto guys think it helps...I can't argue. I have no experience using the SS in any car.

In a stick when you disengage the clutch, you let off the gas, downshift, then blip the throttle while quickly engaging the clutch. I still don't think it is the same thing, but at least I understand what you guys are referring to...
Old 07-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Shift_faster

if u want to run a 30 seconds 1/4 mile time, go ahead and double clutch and not make use of ur synchronizers.

you had to double clutch in older cars because they did not have synchronizers.

you must of had watched the fast and the furious a little too much.

powershifting..all that bs..

the only thing you will need is to clutch fast and shift fast. the IRL, indy, F1, nascar, jgtc, and more do not powershift. their mechanics will stab the drivers after a race. imagine replacing the transmission after every race.
I agree that double-clutching is not necessary, but rev-matching is an absolute must.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:38 AM
Advanced

Was just curious tonight and found out that in ss, you can upshift to 2nd gear while at a stop. When u take off you will still be in second. If that can be done, then why cant we control the 1st to 2nd gear change when we are on the move?

Quick Reply: Sport Shifting