Is the A-Spec mod worth doing??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004 | 02:58 PM
Instructor

Is the A-Spec mod worth doing??

Yes or NO
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:03 PM
Semper Fi

Yes it sets it apart from other TL's, but its pretty much up to you, I think the upgraded look was worth it.
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Thomwarn
Yes or NO
psychologically, you feel better and you think your car is more superior.
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:42 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

NO, not to me...except for the springs, struts, and maybe wheels....

I've had big wheels for a while on my Honda, I think I'm gonna stick with the stock 17s for a while and just get the springs/struts from the A-SPEC...it's the only performance enhancement anyway- everything else is just aesthetic.
Old 08-06-2004 | 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

It looks better and handles better. It's up you to decide if those things are worth the $$ to YOU.
Old 08-06-2004 | 04:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, you know my answer..... (see sig and click)
Old 08-06-2004 | 04:08 PM
Powered by Guinness

YES! :phatyo:

Well, it was to me anyway!
Old 08-06-2004 | 04:14 PM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

It is a personal preference. The only problem is that you cannot buy separate parts. For me, the suspension, wheels, and tires only.
Old 08-06-2004 | 04:17 PM
Advanced

Yes or NO
It's worth it if

1) You like the looks of it
2) Modifying your car under factory warranty is important to you
3) If it gets you laid
Old 08-06-2004 | 06:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 6speedv6
It is a personal preference. The only problem is that you cannot buy separate parts. For me, the suspension, wheels, and tires only.
I have to ask, how come you can't get separate parts (US different)??? I currently only have the rims/tires... but I am contimplating getting the suspension as well (A little expensive at this point since I need to buy some winter tires too)? I thought this was a regular option for everyone (Just curious)?

The streeing wheel is not worth it IMPO, and although I like the body kit, I have seen the fit on a few TLs and I can't say it looked very professional (large gaps in fit).

I guess another Q while on the subject of differences... I noticed that the US gets fog lights apparently (In manual)... is that standard or an option?
Old 08-06-2004 | 06:45 PM
My name is RL.

YES or NO

Yes or NO
Yes
Old 08-06-2004 | 07:33 PM
Advanced

you CAN buy A-Spec parts!

The only problem is that you cannot buy separate parts. For me, the suspension, wheels, and tires only.
Sure you can. Not from every dealer, and not every part at any particular time, but from some of them. Check E-Bay and you'll find these parts sold by dealers like Sunnyside, in NH (where I got my A-Spec suspension).

I'm sure the whole package works nicely for those who can afford to make their TL priced in the $40,000 range. Me, I'm not there yet! :P
Old 08-06-2004 | 08:04 PM
Racer

I'd say no. I prefer the stock look of the TL, and the stock handling is a good compromise.

-r
Old 08-06-2004 | 08:21 PM
Banned

Not for 5 grand......
Old 08-06-2004 | 09:37 PM
Instructor

Yes, except for the wheels and tires, I'm buying everything but those and will go with my own style wheels and tires.

You can pick up the whole kit on eBay for $3900
Old 08-06-2004 | 10:10 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For the $4000+ (installation too) you'll spend on A-Spec, I recommend the following;

1. Factory Kit
2. Factory Spoiler
3. Comptech Springs
4. Injen/AEM Cai
5. Rims of YOUR choice ( www.ronjonwheels.com are what I want )
6. Good tires
7. If you really want it, A-spec steering wheel and brakes

You'd be able to get all of that for the price of A-spec or less, and actually have the freedom to choose the wheels you like (choose the A-spec ones if you want, same thing), get the performance boost of CAI, get a lower drop and a stiffer ride (if you want less stiff, get the A-spec suspension), and save some money. I plan on piecing together my own "A-spec" package, because I don't like the A-spec wheels, especially on SSM, and because I don't think its nearly worth the cash.

The A-spec cars look great though, I'll give them that. Not going to sit here and tell you that A-spec doesn't look great, I just think that its a bit steep for a car that provides a ton of value. My opinion would be that if you're buying a package you should be getting things cheaper, not more expensive. You can get your car looking better (better in your eyes, which is the most important) by peicing together your own kit. And if you don't want to void your warranty, don't get CAI and get the dealer to install the Comptech or just opt for the A-spec suspension.
Old 08-07-2004 | 04:18 AM
Team Nighthawk Water Boy

Yes and No.

I'm only interested in the Body Kit. I think other items are over priced.
Old 08-07-2004 | 05:45 AM
My name is RL.

Originally Posted by narikin
Sure you can. Not from every dealer, and not every part at any particular time, but from some of them. Check E-Bay and you'll find these parts sold by dealers like Sunnyside, in NH (where I got my A-Spec suspension).

I'm sure the whole package works nicely for those who can afford to make their TL priced in the $40,000 range. Me, I'm not there yet! :P
Just as long as you do not get the coveted A-Spec badge for suspension only. Not fair to the legit A-Spec owners IMHO.
Old 08-07-2004 | 07:32 AM
Senior Moderator

I totally agree with this. Putting a badge on anything less than the real thing is as "rice" as putting "Type R" on your unmodded Civic DX. Ewwww.
Old 08-09-2004 | 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GO_TL
Just as long as you do not get the coveted A-Spec badge for suspension only. Not fair to the legit A-Spec owners IMHO.
The suspension is what makes it a "legit" A-Spec. Screw the other stuff and screw being "fair". The other stuff is all cosmetic anyway.
Old 08-09-2004 | 11:28 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I totally agree with this. Putting a badge on anything less than the real thing is as "rice" as putting "Type R" on your unmodded Civic DX. Ewwww.
Liquid Courage [Takes off "Type R" badge on TL to avoid flaming and humiliation]
Old 08-09-2004 | 11:34 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dcarlinf1
The suspension is what makes it a "legit" A-Spec. Screw the other stuff and screw being "fair". The other stuff is all cosmetic anyway.
Wow, didn't know people were that serious about the badge. Is the other stuff really just cosmetic? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the air dams lowered the drag coefficient.
Old 08-09-2004 | 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Yes.
Old 08-09-2004 | 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Liquid _Courage
Wow, didn't know people were that serious about the badge. Is the other stuff really just cosmetic? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the air dams lowered the drag coefficient.
Yes, the body kit does lower the drag coefficient (.29 -> .28, I think). But, you'll never notice it.
Old 08-09-2004 | 02:28 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

The A-Spec kit is supposed to be about performance first and asthetics second. All the plastic stuff just slows you down.

Regards,
Old 08-09-2004 | 04:54 PM
10th Gear

In my case, Yes...
Old 08-10-2004 | 09:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leeherman

The A-Spec kit is supposed to be about performance first and asthetics second. All the plastic stuff just slows you down.

Regards,
I'm under the impression it doesn't. At the same time, I believe it doesn't add a noticeable difference either.
Old 08-10-2004 | 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

I read (and I'll have to find the link) that the body kit lowers the CD slightly, so in theory it wouldn't slow you down. I'll find the link after work today and post it, if someone else finds it first, post away!
Old 08-10-2004 | 10:04 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I read (and I'll have to find the link) that the body kit lowers the CD slightly, so in theory it wouldn't slow you down. I'll find the link after work today and post it, if someone else finds it first, post away!
If anyone got the "Acura Style" magazine, it has a short article about the A-Spec TL and states that it does slightly lower the CD. Can't remember the figures right now.
Old 08-10-2004 | 10:17 AM
Ak Ting Up

Yes or NO
Yes, the A-spec body kit is great looking. I don't need the suspension pieces for the 'stop light wars', but I do need more HP. I'm waiting on a engine mod (from a factory tuner I hope). I need at least 300 hp and 260 on the torque.
Old 08-10-2004 | 12:45 PM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Is the A-SPEC worth it? Yes or NO
Is Bill Gates rich?
Is Liz Hurley good looking?
Is Barry Bonds good at the plate?
Is Lance Armstrong a good cyclist?
If you can afford it, it makes for a much better handling (and looking) car...
Old 08-10-2004 | 01:52 PM
Advanced

The A-Spec kit is a bit of an oddball.

It costs 10 to 15% more on top of the price of the car. That's a lot of money and most of it isn't recoverable in resale.

It arguably adds a little performance. It makes the car look better.

It seems that most of the value concious TL buyers would not want it because it balloons the cost of a TL to the 40K range.

Those that want more performance can surely do better for the money with 3rd party aftermarkets.

Those that wanted to spend a lot more money for better performance and/or better looks could have gone with several other choices: 2005 RL, used 540i, any number of pricier german cars new or used, a second sportier car, etc.
Old 08-10-2004 | 04:07 PM
My name is RL.

Sad but true.

Sorry cochese. The rest of the package is not all cosmetic. The A-Spec body kit improves the drag coefficient. The steering wheel improves the handling and is integral to the larger and wider wheels and tires and the suspension pieces. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

And I know the little weasels that manage to get their hands on just the suspension parts will try to get the A-Spec badge. That is not fair whether you screw it or not. If everyone else has to pay for the entire kit then YOU have to pay for the entire kit. Get it?
Old 08-11-2004 | 08:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Sorry cochese. The rest of the package is not all cosmetic. The A-Spec body kit improves the drag coefficient. The steering wheel improves the handling and is integral to the larger and wider wheels and tires and the suspension pieces. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

And I know the little weasels that manage to get their hands on just the suspension parts will try to get the A-Spec badge. That is not fair whether you screw it or not. If everyone else has to pay for the entire kit then YOU have to pay for the entire kit. Get it?
1) Please provide some facts that the steering wheel will improve performance. I don't believe you.

2) I acknowledged that the drag coefficient is improved the with body kit. Can't you read? I still say you will never be able to notice such a minimal difference. It is more of a cosmetic improvement than a performance improvement. I am not going to argue this topic with you.

3) I stand by what I said about the suspension being the key part of the A-Spec package. It is the only part that truly changes the way the car will perform. Prove to me where any other part of the package even comes close to improving performance (time slips, dynos, magazine reviews, anything). Don't just speculate either. Prove it.

4) As far as the badge. If you have the suspension parts the badge is justified IMO (see above item #3). If you don't agree. Fine. Then fuck off. You are entitled to your incorrect opinion.

5) No, I don't have to pay for the entire package. Even the dealers will let you pick and choose the parts you want. You must not come around here much or you'd know that.

And don't call me cochese you chucklehead. Got that?

Old 08-11-2004 | 09:16 AM
It is OK to smoke V8's.

The wheels are NOT wider. 235/40R17 vs. 235/35R18. Both tires have the ecxact same footprint.

Sidewall height is a lil different. 94mm vs. 82.25mm, so turning responce is a bit quicker, for a pro racer in a track.

The rubber in the AVS 100's is a softer, stickier compound than the Turanza's, but you can get Potenzas which are as sticky as the AVS's at no charge with the 6 speed.

The lock-to-lock turns with both steering wheels is the same, so no gain there.
Old 08-11-2004 | 09:21 AM
Drifting

I don't think the A-Spec is worth the insane $5k asking price here. But then again, it sells just like the IS300 L-Sport edition, $6K for the same type of set-up. I love the kit that is probably all I'd take. Wheels don't do anything for me and the spoiler is fugly. I don't think your setting your car apart by purchasing the A-Spec either. Take the kit, get a unique set of wheels and spoiler and you have different. A-Spec, you have a factory hooked up TL. I do like how the dealer lets you piece out the A-Spec parts but you can find them cheaper on ebay. It does kind of suck for those that paid full price though.
Old 08-11-2004 | 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Type S Lady
I do like how the dealer lets you piece out the A-Spec parts but you can find them cheaper on ebay. It does kind of suck for those that paid full price though.
Most here knew this was going to happen (consider the A-Spec'd RSX). Some chose to be patient and wait for the individual parts that they wanted, some didn't. It's no fault of those who were patient.
Old 08-11-2004 | 09:36 AM
Drifting

Most here knew this was going to happen (consider the A-Spec'd RSX). Some chose to be patient and wait for the individual parts that they wanted, some didn't. It's no fault of those who were patient.
I totally agree.
Old 08-11-2004 | 09:37 AM
Shift_faster

The wheels are NOT wider. 235/40R17 vs. 235/35R18. Both tires have the ecxact same footprint.

Sidewall height is a lil different. 94mm vs. 82.25mm, so turning responce is a bit quicker, for a pro racer in a track.

The rubber in the AVS 100's is a softer, stickier compound than the Turanza's, but you can get Potenzas which are as sticky as the AVS's at no charge with the 6 speed.

The lock-to-lock turns with both steering wheels is the same, so no gain there.
The wheels are wider however on the A-Spec. 8.5" vs. 8". Nominal yes, but it does help with handling.

Also, the Potenzas, cost $200 when you get the 6MT.

Not really arguing anything here. Just pointing out some things.
Old 08-11-2004 | 09:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Clarification:

In a previous post I said "Prove to me where any other part of the package even comes close to improving performance"

What I meant to say was "Prove to me where any other part of the package even comes close to improving performance as much as the suspension does"

Quick Reply: Is the A-Spec mod worth doing??