Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something's sticking (mystery)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something's sticking (mystery)

It happened to me several times already and this morning it was very strong. Can anyone help me figure this one out?

In the morning, I start the car, put in reverse to back out of my garage, start releasing the clutch and ... the car does not start moving when I expect it. Instead, I have to release the clutch even more and I suddenly hear a loud sound as if something was holding the car and suddenly whatever it was "broke off". After that, the car drives normally.

My initial thought was the handbrake - an obvious culprit. However, I never use it in the garage! I do use it occassionally when I park on an incline outside. It must have been at least two weeks since I used it for the last time.

I noticed that it happens more frequently after I wash the car in the driveway.

I have MT.

Anyone has any idea what could be causing this?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Tomorrow's weather forecasts a high of 26 and a low of 10 degrees F. for balmy Vestal, NY. And this happens more after you wash the car. Even without washing, condensation or moisture formed when cooling down after being driven can contribute to this problem.

Sounds like the water remaining around the brakes is freezing and needs an extra effort on your part to break it loose when you start to move.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:31 AM
9th Gear

Delayed clutch engagement in reverse?

A sticky throwout bearing or clutch linkeage binding could cause this. The pressure plate is releasing ok, but is delayed at times. My bet would be linkeage or throwout bearing.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
correct me if im wrong... but i thought that was the ABS checking itself? i remember in the Acura Manual it says stuff about how breaking is a lot tighter after rain or some wetness. So mayb after you washed the car, the moisture thats there causes the abs to check itself in order to be safe for any slips. ionos but you can read it again in the manual...
Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I have my car parked for awhile after washing it, or it has been raining, i get the same thing you are describing. I believe its just the brake pads breaking free of rust that has built up on the rotors.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Originally Posted by Shibby
When I have my car parked for awhile after washing it, or it has been raining, i get the same thing you are describing. I believe its just the brake pads breaking free of rust that has built up on the rotors.
BINGO. Happened to me this morning....
Old 03-07-2005, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ron A
Tomorrow's weather forecasts a high of 26 and a low of 10 degrees F. for balmy Vestal, NY. And this happens more after you wash the car. Even without washing, condensation or moisture formed when cooling down after being driven can contribute to this problem.

Sounds like the water remaining around the brakes is freezing and needs an extra effort on your part to break it loose when you start to move.
This morning it was very warm (it is unseasonably warm right now over 50F) and the garage was in 40's.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shibby
Hmmm, but as I said, I did not have the parking brake on. If I park the car and leave it in gear, the pads should not be touching the rotors, right? Then, how can the rust cause this?
Old 03-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sticking brakes.

the pads should not be touching the rotors, right?

Bzzzzzzz. Incorrect.

Disc brake pads are always lightly in contact with the rotors. The explanation about the pads sticking to the discs from light surface rust due to dampness is 100% correct.

Happened to my TL yesterday morning after washing it on Saturday and not driving it afterward.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Instructor

So, this is "normal"?? I am afraid that one or more calipers do not release properly (perhaps due to rust). If the caliper releases properly, there should be a thin gap between the pad and the rotor, right?

I am imagining that I go to Europe for 3 weeks and leave my car in the garage and the pads bond with the rotors really strong ... and this thing becomes more than just an annoyance.

I am not sure if all four wheels stick like this or if it is just one wheel but it seems to me that this should not be happening. What can I do to prevent this? Drive around the block every time I wash the car? That's ridiculous.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,237 Likes on 1,024 Posts
This same thing happens to me once a week. I usually wash my car on the weekends and on Monday AM, I have the same issue. There is a small amount of rust building up on the rotors from the water sitting on them. Another thing you might want to try to see if it makes any difference is to park the car on a level surface and leave it in either first gear or reverse and don't use the e-brake. Another option is to use a tire chock - anything that will allow you not to use the e-brake. I wouldn't be concerned, I think it is fairly common. My old Accord used to do the same thing.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acugirl
So, this is "normal"?? I am afraid that one or more calipers do not release properly (perhaps due to rust). If the caliper releases properly, there should be a thin gap between the pad and the rotor, right?

I am imagining that I go to Europe for 3 weeks and leave my car in the garage and the pads bond with the rotors really strong ... and this thing becomes more than just an annoyance.

I am not sure if all four wheels stick like this or if it is just one wheel but it seems to me that this should not be happening. What can I do to prevent this? Drive around the block every time I wash the car? That's ridiculous.
Actually yes,,
The amount of "space" between brake rotors and the pads is extremely small. Like in 1000's of an inch small. Look at your rotors in the morning after you wash your car(having not driven it after washing). It's amazing how much rust is present within 12-15 hours. This rust also forms inbetween the small space between rotor and pads, this is what gives you that "stuck" feeling. It is of no harm to the car/brakes. If you can drive around the block after a wash, using the brakes etc., much of that moisture is removed from the pads/rotors and the "sticking" is either non-existant or much less noticable. With the "Brembo's", I would guess they are a "semi-metalic" pad which would probably compound the rusting/sticking issue.

Eitherway it is not hurting anything and your calipers are releasing just fine.

Now, if they tend to stick everytime the car sits for awhile when moisture is not present (warm outside, no dew, during the day - no wash etc.), then bring it to the attention of your service dept.

My 04 5AT (standard brakes) TL does the same thing when I wash then pull in the garage or leave it in the driveway overnight without "driving".
Old 03-07-2005, 08:54 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

I have 10K on my 04 TL and never have sticking brakes.(Just squeaking)
Old 03-07-2005, 09:13 PM
GQS
Team Anthracite

This is pretty common on a lot of cars - my current car (2000 Cougar) and my previous car (96 Civic) did the same thing - some cars are just worse than others. Depends on the carbon content of the steel used on the rotors. Fords are particularly bad - my Cougar rotors develop a light orange rust coating in the time it takes to finish washing the car, and if left overnight exhibit the same "sticking" .

Not much you can do about it and nothing to worry about.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the response, everybody. I learned something today I guess I will just drive around the block after washing. BTW, I owned a Ford Contour before and never had this issue.

To NBP04TL4ME, I never use the parking brake. I just leave the car in gear when in the garage.