3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smashed Front Bumper - Need Advice Please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smashed Front Bumper - Need Advice Please?

This is my husband's WDP TL (2006). Damaged from a rogue highway cone/barrel as he rounded a ramp turn. Didn't see it. No warning. Boom.

As you can see, it's trashed.

My first thought was perhaps getting the A-Spec kit, thinking the front A-Spec lip might make the bad go away but I "think" it won't? I've been pouring through some photos and can't sort it out. Also, there seems to be a couple A-Spec kits floating around or I might be able to put a TL-S lip on it? I also don't know if the lips wrap up a bit - if they'd cover that damage that's butt-up to the black part.

Questions:

1. Would anyone be able to weigh in on if any A-spec lips would cover this damage? If so, which one(s)?

2. If I have to get a whole new bumper, any ideas on the cost or a source?

3. If I have to get a new bumper, should I try to get one painted WDP? Or would it be better to order it primed, then cross my fingers a body shop can paint it right? I would like the best match but realize it'll never match.

Money is less important here but I don't want to be ridiculous either. I hope the photo works. I appreciate any help. I'd like to get this done before winter.

Last edited by meagain; 09-26-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Bigger photo: http://img262.imageshack.us/i/tlbumperdamage.jpg/

Hope this works

Last edited by Bearcat94; 09-26-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:18 AM
.a BUM with SMG...

get a type s kit, that would look nice too. Get it paint in dealer cuz body shop has no warranty plus they cant never match our paint codes.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:31 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Hmm, it looks like it just MIGHT cover it up with hardly a mm to spare.......There are areas where the lip needs to be screwed in from the bottom in the center and that area looks chewed out. You can still improvise something. No need to paint or anything as mentioned....All these things come painted and WDP is easy to find.

Why not change the whole bumper? Keep checking Ebay. Front bumpers are way easier to find and cheaper than you think. It's just shipping that's the problem.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
the A-spec kit should cover up 99.8% of the damage, however a little of it may be visible if you know what to look for, which many will not. This will be the cheapest option. - 799 for whole kit, or $250 for the front lip

Pic:
Right near the lower left edge of the right side grille, there may be some damage visible...

Then you have the option of a new bumper, you may be able to find a WDP one on ebay, however the match may be off, some due to the factory mismatch and some due to the paint batch. $300-400

OR

You can order a new one and have a good bodyshop paint it, if the shop takes their time, they can do an excellent job. - $600

Last is the most expensive option:
TL-S front bumper that you will need to have painted, and then get the TL-S lipkit. You will also need to buy TL-S fog-lights and the wire harnesses for the fog's.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Banned

Replace the bumper. Which you can get at the dealer and you do not have the option of having it painted from the dealer. It only comes primed. With that said you have to take it to a body shop to paint.

The most cheapest option (but pretty ghetto IMO) would be to get the 04-06 front lip, like others say some of the damages will be visible but only by a little. If it shows too much for you, you can have a body shop fix it up.

BUT im the type of person to say, "ew, i know whats under that lip, a HUGE crack, stop jerry rigging shit and fix it correctly." < Thats what I would tell myself. If your the type of person who could care less of what your hiding then get the lip, BUT the front lip ALONE looks weird without the rest of the kit....

All in all, I HIGHLY suggest you just replace the front bumper, get it painted and call it a day. Because it seems like your not the type of person who wants to "mod" your car. Trust me, when you get the front lip to cover it up, you'll say "ahhh lets just get the rear lip to level it off". Then next thing you know you'll want the sides to make everything match, then suspension, then rims then blah blah so-on-and-so-forth LOL.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Instructor

csmeance - Hmm.... Gosh it does look like it'll cover the damage. Perhaps I could use some type of bondo-ish product to fix any little piece peeking out. I have the jars of WDP from PaintScratch.

Since a new bumper would be $600 including painting (I figured $500 primed only), that's certainly close enough to the $750-800 for the A-Spec. I've always wanted one for his car - very pretty - but never could justify taking the plunge. I see this as an excuse! He just has to love the A-Spec look over stock so I'm throwing that ball in his court. Sounds like the TL-S A-spec kit requires the TL-S bumper. I don't like that option but it would be cool to have fogs.

ISSUE - Do you know where the lip attaches? Would you be able to advise if we can securely install it given the loss of material on the current bumper?

Thank you!

Pagnas - I'm cool with the lip hiding the damage. I only fear with Chicagoland snow and his TL already being a super low car, issues getting out of the driveway pushing snow, curbs with the side rails, etc. He probably needs new tires also so maybe he can get a slightly larger size. Course he has rash on the darned wheels too but that's another issue. :o
Old 09-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Aspec should cover it, but for some reason I still say get a new bumper, or at least have them repair it a bit. There are crucial areas where the A-Spec needs to hook up onto, I can't say for the base, but for the type-s bumper, there are mounts in that area.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Yes. That's what I need to figure out now. Where it attaches. I know the sides for sure are mounted securely and I'm reading many use double-sided tape. I'm still searching for good info/pics for that area. I'm hoping it it clips/screws in behind the white parts underneath somewhere.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Here is a link to the instructions to install it:

https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...derspoiler.pdf

If you look on page 5, step 17, you can see that there are 3 self tapping screws that install in the center area, and a whole bunch of double sided tape along the edge of the bumper. You may not have a secure lip as those 3 screws help keep the spoiler from bowing down and detaching at higher speeds.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:19 AM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
type S aspec would cover 100% of it. not sure if it will fit....... someone else may have some more info.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
I think you should replace the bumper cover. You can find a good body shop that will take their time and match the paint---I have one near me that did a fantastic job on my 00 Anthracite (another color that is difficult to match) after a deer strike. Just patching it and throwing a lip on it may cause more problems than it is worth.
There are quite a few bumper covers on eBay, but you may want to have the body shop source it--they may be able to get it for a better price and have experience shipping these large parts.
My last point is do you want to invest all of this into a car driven by someone who has known curb rash issues (not to bash hubbie--just making a point). I know I wouldn't buy new wheels for my girlfriend, given her history with wheels!
Old 09-27-2009, 01:37 PM
j1n
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
You could always go with the Ronjon kit

heres a pic

Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One More thing...

Check Ebay for bumper covers.
I got lucky a couple years back and paid $46.00 for one..
Old 09-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Instructor

I saw a full WDP painted (new) bumper there for $350 but how scarey is that? I'm seeing primed ones also.

I still need to research how the a-spec lip attaches and better inspect the car. I want to make sure that black insert part is ok. Weird also is I see bumpers for sale without the towing port cover door. They appear to be just a hole there. LOL
Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Ak Ting Up

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by meagain
I saw a full WDP painted (new) bumper there for $350 but how scarey is that? I'm seeing primed ones also.

I still need to research how the a-spec lip attaches and better inspect the car. I want to make sure that black insert part is ok. Weird also is I see bumpers for sale without the towing port cover door. They appear to be just a hole there. LOL
I did a search on ebay, "04 TL front Bumper", and saw one for $70.00. You will have to have it painted, though. The 04, 05, and 06 have the same bumper.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:50 PM
Instructor

I saw it. It's all banged up though.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:17 AM
Carfreak

how much is the rondo kit? what if i just want the front bumper?