Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Panel

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 11:37 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Side Panel

I recently posted on the forum's main page about a golf ball that was drivin into my car last week and the dealership told me it cannot be removed by paintless dent removal and that it'll have to go to the body shop.

Since I assume they will have to take the entire side panel off to fix it (because it was hit by the ball on the panel that is between the door and the roof); any idea of how much for repair before I take it for an estimate?

**Side note: I just recall from when I had my 02 Civic and it had minor damage on the bumper (scraped where the black was showing) and it cost $800 to repair because they had to take the bumper off, sand (or whatever they do), and then repaint.

Just curious....
Old 09-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KJW73
I recently posted on the forum's main page about a golf ball that was drivin into my car last week and the dealership told me it cannot be removed by paintless dent removal and that it'll have to go to the body shop.

Since I assume they will have to take the entire side panel off to fix it (because it was hit by the ball on the panel that is between the door and the roof); any idea of how much for repair before I take it for an estimate?

**Side note: I just recall from when I had my 02 Civic and it had minor damage on the bumper (scraped where the black was showing) and it cost $800 to repair because they had to take the bumper off, sand (or whatever they do), and then repaint.

Just curious....

How deep is the indentation?
Old 09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had my quarter panel repaired w/o removal. they weld rivets onto the dent, then pull them out , buff the welds & repaint.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:02 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by Darknesss_TL
How deep is the indentation?
Here is a pic I took last evening; it's not the best, but it gives you an idea. The dent itself is about 2 1/2-3 inches in diameter and about 1/4-1/2 inch deep.

Called my insurance company last night and they are sending an adjuster to take a look; I'm praying that it falls under vandalism since it wasn't by collision and that is obvious (I think...).

Old 09-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Racer

^

ouch....but it should be able to be fixed the way mentioned above... but, isn't there that infomercial tool that uses a suction cup to remove dents? its like $40 or something... i dunno if it works but it might be something to look into... otherwise spot welding rivets and pulling out the dent is probably gonnabe the way to go...the only issue you'd have to worry about is proper mixture of the pain...but then again your car is white that may not even be an issue for such a small area..
Old 09-12-2006, 08:37 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by Darknesss_TL
^

ouch....but it should be able to be fixed the way mentioned above... but, isn't there that infomercial tool that uses a suction cup to remove dents? its like $40 or something... i dunno if it works but it might be something to look into... otherwise spot welding rivets and pulling out the dent is probably gonnabe the way to go...the only issue you'd have to worry about is proper mixture of the pain...but then again your car is white that may not even be an issue for such a small area..
I took it to my dealership yesterday morning to find out if they could perform the paintless dent removal and they said no, that I will have to take it to their body shop for repair.

I was hoping for the paintless dent removal - my dealer was having a special on it (LOL) and it's considerably much cheaper. I believe there has to be a larger area in order for the paintless dent removal to work and that is why they said it won't work.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Racer

That should not be a difficult dent to repair on the car...as long as it hasn't pulled any metal from the edges...and it doesn't appear to have. They'll have that baby knocked out in a few minutes....then it's off to the paint booth.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:36 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
That should not be a difficult dent to repair on the car...as long as it hasn't pulled any metal from the edges...and it doesn't appear to have. They'll have that baby knocked out in a few minutes....then it's off to the paint booth.
That's good news!

I suppose it's the paint process that is what will take so long? I'm a little worried that the paint won't end up matching the rest of the car. Hopefully not though... the body shop I'll be eventually taking it to is great and unfortunately, I can atest to it since I've been there before ( ); they're certified body shop for Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Racer

It'll probably be one of those things where only you can tell where it was. The differences in color or texture/sparkle/whatever might only be noticeable even by you under certain light.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Racer

I took it to my dealership yesterday morning to find out if they could perform the paintless dent removal and they said no, that I will have to take it to their body shop for repair.

I was hoping for the paintless dent removal - my dealer was having a special on it (LOL) and it's considerably much cheaper. I believe there has to be a larger area in order for the paintless dent removal to work and that is why they said it won't work.

i hear you but i was just saying i saw an infomercial one time for a paintless dent removal...if you can locate that product or do some research on it and then get it...it might not be a waste of time to look into the advertised product...besides, if you do get it and it doesn't work on this dent...you never know if you may have a dent that you can use it on in the future...lol if worst comes to worst...you can send it to me :-p i have a dent or two on my pick up truck that i'd like to get out :-D
Old 09-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
I think that dent is too big for the TV thingie, and the paintless dent repair process has to be able to get behind the dent and with this one, even if they could get behind it there probably isn't enough room to get the back end of their tool in there, so it looks like it's going to have to be done the old fashioned way by hand.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

My old car was badly damaged by hail and I took it to a company called Dent Wizard. The results were absolutely remarkable; I could not detect the dents even under fluorescent lights! They were able to remove the many dents on the hood, top and trunk without removing or cutting interior panels. Before you have the dealer replace paint, with all the inherent disadvantages of that process, you might want to seek out a company that specializes in paintless dent removal. You’ll end up with your original paint intact and for less money than having the panel filled and painted.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I would seriously consider taking it to Dent Wizard and a couple of independent body shops to get their opinions/estimates.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:21 PM
My Daily Driver

Ask a Paintless Dent Removal place if they can get it out using a "Glue-Pull Methond"

I had a dent int he same spot, though not as bad, and he took it out for $40.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:58 AM
2014 RDX Tech AWD

Got an insurance estimate...

Hello!
It's been a few days since I've posted...all in thanks to a wonderful kidney stone that buckled me while I was with the insurance appraisal guy getting an estimate for my car damage. Just lovely...

Well, unfortunately, even the insurance guy said it can't be done by the paintless dent removal and I'm taking my estimate, insurance check, and car to a very reputable body shop that specializes in Honda and Acura. They previously have repainted a Honda of mine and the job was flawless; it really was. Although, that was "satin silver" so the WDP might have me a bit more concerned that it will match...but I have faith in these folks.

But can you believe that the entire panel, bumper and tail light ALL have to be removed to repair the damage. Isn't that crazy? Only the side panel will be repainted, but my car is tight right now and I don't want any lose panels. I'll be going back and being a pain in their ass if all is not right. But that's really here nor there at this point since I haven't had it done yet. LOL.

We shall see...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Racer

Hello!
It's been a few days since I've posted...all in thanks to a wonderful kidney stone that buckled me while I was with the insurance appraisal guy getting an estimate for my car damage. Just lovely...

Well, unfortunately, even the insurance guy said it can't be done by the paintless dent removal and I'm taking my estimate, insurance check, and car to a very reputable body shop that specializes in Honda and Acura. They previously have repainted a Honda of mine and the job was flawless; it really was. Although, that was "satin silver" so the WDP might have me a bit more concerned that it will match...but I have faith in these folks.

But can you believe that the entire panel, bumper and tail light ALL have to be removed to repair the damage. Isn't that crazy? Only the side panel will be repainted, but my car is tight right now and I don't want any lose panels. I'll be going back and being a pain in their ass if all is not right. But that's really here nor there at this point since I haven't had it done yet. LOL.

We shall see...

Sorry there isnt really any other way as the bodyshop/insurance people have told you....Good luck and keep us updated!!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:21 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Fortunately those arent points prone to rattling. I get worried whenever the doors need to be taken apart. Good luck with this and be glad it's nothing more serious!