8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Should we buy a TL?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:36 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should we buy a TL?

After knowing everything about a TL, what do you think about it. Yes we know its a great looking car but this car does have a reputation of headaches and problems. Would you buy one or recommend it to your best friend?
Old 08-19-2006, 04:46 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
You have to answer that for yourself. Mine has 24K today and I have really enjoyed it so far. Only back to the dealer one time in almost 2 years for the outside temp problem.

I made a good decision for me. No rattles or other problems that some others have had. Perhaps my tolerance level is just a little higher, whatever. I have had more than ten new cars is this is at least one of the very best up to this point.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A reputation of headaches and problems?... you're an idiot. Buy something else.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MichiganRich
be nice dude
Old 08-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
First, welcome to the board!

Second, this car does NOT have a reputation for headaches and problems. You have to remember that people who come to these boards are more likely to post about problems. You also have to recall that every car has its issues, and the TL is no different. This is why we have a "3G Garage" thread at the top of the forum, so people are informed, and a "Problems and Fixes" subforum.

Most people have few or no problems with their TL. For an example of a the life of a typical TL, you can type on the review link in my signature below. I've got 55k miles on my car now and the only current issues with the car are caused by installers. There are similar posts scattered throughout this part of the forum that you can review.

I hope this helps. Of course, I think you should buy a TL if you can test drive the one you're buying before you sign the dotted line and you decide that this is the car for you. There are some great deals to be had out there, take advantage of them!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vltnolia
After knowing everything about a TL, what do you think about it. Yes we know its a great looking car but this car does have a reputation of headaches and problems. Would you buy one or recommend it to your best friend?
If yours TL won't rattle (I doubt) than you will not regret.
Read web reviews about TL.
Most come to simple conclusion:
a. Nice shape.
b. Great engine and brakes.
c. Rattles...

I would not recommend this car if you are sensitive to cabin rattles.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Racer

I would not get a 350Z if I didn't like cabin rattles. My TL has been headache free aside from the leather not seeming that great.

I've had my 05 for a year now and have to say its the least troublesome car I've owned out of an 01 Audi TT and 03 350Z.

Go For it. Just get the navigation.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Happy with my choice. Comfortable car, great gas mileage, and you can haul a ton of stuff around.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts

seriously dude, wtf? that wasnt needed.

I say go for it. Im happy with mine.......
Old 08-19-2006, 09:29 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got 4200 miles on my 06, bought in April 06. I've had zero problems with it, there are NO squeaks or rattles, the car is incredibly quiet. Hey, it's a honda!

Dave
Old 08-19-2006, 09:33 PM
5th Gear

What history of problems?
Old 08-19-2006, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

I purchased mine about a month ago and I'm loving it! No issues. I worked with Acura from 1990 to 1995 as a service writer and their products hold up well from what I've seen. I traded my Honda Ridgeline for the TL for gas mileage and to go back to a stickshift. To the first post, read the information on the main page of the third generation and review the bulletins posted by some gracious people on this forum who have really put together a nice site. You'd be amazed at how few bulletins there are for Acura as compared to other manufacturers. The TL is one of the quitest, smoothest (even with the low-profile tires) and intuitive vehicles in its segment.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:09 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by NC Silver
I purchased mine about a month ago and I'm loving it! No issues. I worked with Acura from 1990 to 1995 as a service writer and their products hold up well from what I've seen.

Thats what drove me to the TL. My mom bought a 2nd gen and I loved it. I was seriously considering buying one when they redid the TL and came out with the third gen. It was pretty much a no brainer. While I did consider the G the TL fit my lifestyle much better. I've been happy with how Acuras hold up over time.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Definitely get the TL. I was looking at Audi and Benz, and for this price nothing compares to the TL. I feel like I'm gliding when I drive it. I have no rattling or annoying sounds in my car. With the radio and AC off, I can't even tell the engine is on... that's how quiet it is. When you get your TL be sure to get the Navi. I hear its awesome. For some dumb reason and not knowing the Navi is much more than a navigation system, I opted not to spend the extra $2K. But I am kicking myself everyday, especially when I'm going somewhere unfamiliar. Don't torment yourself and get the TL with Navi. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Instructor

I've always wanted an Acura and finally upgraded from my list of Honda cars that I've owned before. They all provided excellent service and so far TL is no exception. No problems.

Talk about rattles, get a Nissan Quest Mini Van. They even had a recall on that issue and still can't get rid of them all.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I dont think the TL has a reputation of rattles and headaches...In fact every car has a headaches and rattles whether its a $30k car to $1 million car....I think the reason why you see more of "problematic" threads than "praisal" threads are is because most people just login and post when they have problems...otherwise they are out enjoying the car...put it this way..if you use it its bound to break.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:36 AM
9th Gear

Same thing here. I've got an 06 TL since December of last year and have been happy with it. I currently have over 15k and drive it a lot. You cannot find a better car in this price range bar none.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Absolutely, I havent had any problems to speak of
Old 08-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have two: mine is an '04 manual and my wife's is an '05 automatic. Both are solid and trouble-free. If you're really into driving, get the manual.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Instructor

Buy the TL. I was stationed in Germany in 2003 and I was close to buying the blue 330i. My gf had just bought a new 325i, I think I wanted to "one-up" her. I even paid down on it. Luckily we had to deploy Iraq and I got my money back. I bought a TL in May and deployed back to Iraq a few weeks later. I had about 600 miles of bliss and I can't to get back to it in a few weeks.
I was so glad I didn't buy the 330. Even though as a GI I saved about 6K I would have paid 39K to get all the things I have on the TL. The fact is the 330 will ensure you know that you have every pothole, it will let you know the engine is running, and it will cost a hell of a lot more to maintain. Get the TL...but then if you sit and compare apples with apples and look at tht TL and 330...you will make up mind to the TL.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by jmaikamon
Buy the TL. I was stationed in Germany in 2003 and I was close to buying the blue 330i. My gf had just bought a new 325i, I think I wanted to "one-up" her. I even paid down on it. Luckily we had to deploy Iraq and I got my money back. I bought a TL in May and deployed back to Iraq a few weeks later. I had about 600 miles of bliss and I can't to get back to it in a few weeks.
I was so glad I didn't buy the 330. Even though as a GI I saved about 6K I would have paid 39K to get all the things I have on the TL. The fact is the 330 will ensure you know that you have every pothole, it will let you know the engine is running, and it will cost a hell of a lot more to maintain. Get the TL...but then if you sit and compare apples with apples and look at tht TL and 330...you will make up mind to the TL.
[hijack]Thank you for your service, I have a brother in Iraq as well. [/hijack]

When you were in Germany, I assume you were looking at GDM 330s. Are they much different from what we get Stateside? Just curious, haven't been in Germany in 20 years.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Indian Acura Driver

For someone who has a TL in their display... why don't you trade it up and shut up then?

Also, the 2002-03 had problems, which were only for transmission which Acura will take in and fix for you (dealer warranty), the 04's rattles, weren't that big of a deal. So there is no reputation of headaches and problem, for the 04's and above. You're an idiot. Know your facts.

Considering i own 2 TL's, the car is really reliable and pretty worth it, aside from the few SMALL things that every car has, it was pretty much amazing. Go for it if you can!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:45 AM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have one of the earlier '04 models which is (supposedly) prone to problems. I have had couple of minor problems here and there (which I would expect), but that’s it. Overall I am very pleased with the car. The newer models have ironed out many of these issues. Go ahead and buy one, you won’t be disappointed.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Advanced

The car is simply baddass... I mean yes, i'd love to have thirty more hp, AWD, and a better dash (bit of fading issues). But the car, as a whole, is SO complete no matter what class of car you compare it to. And for the money, come on...are you serious??? I love this car... seriously.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did about 6 months of research on vehicles (as always when it's time to buy) and decided on this. I sat in and drove everything available from wagons to SUV's and sedans. This is what I wanted and what I got.

Repairs? It's a Honda! I drove my '00 Accord for 113k miles and just did routine maint. Even changed the timing belt myself. (Not recommended for weak at heart!)

Value? Try buying another vehicle that's 2 years old from the dealer and only getting $2k knocked off from new! They can be certified pre-owned and have great warranty as well. They wouldn't do that if it was a POJ and knew they would see you every couple months with problems.

Please buy a TL. Not for me but for you. Unless you're trying to buy a turbo or AWD or going to use it off-road you just can't beat it.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

Buy a TL. My car was flawless until a mechanic fondled it. So not cool; had to fix it up and do ALL of the repairs they messed up on myself. Other than that, as long as you do your research and do background checks on the car before buying it, you really shouldn't have a problem at all with your purchase.

Let's put it this way, I've had the car for more than 50,000+ miles now in less than a year. After my tranny dying (replaced it myself), scratched up body (f'ign mechanics), AND from my headlights being stolen (TWICE), I still turn around, look at it, and smile because it's so beautiful. I'm not sure how I can explain it, but once you work your butt off sooo hard just to get something that'll last you a lifetime (my '99 TL), the amount of value behind this car's worth to you is too great to measure.

Besides, if you ever buy a TL, and it makes your life a living hell, it's got a pretty awewsome resale value even if the thing's falling apart

I mean.. LOOK at that (when I first bought it).. this isn't even a commercial and it looks that good!... just buy one.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brown Chaos, you're a typical 18 year old. "Know your facts"... *laughs*

I wasn't agreeing with the original poster, I was saying that if he was SO sure about the "reputation of headaches and problems" that he should buy something else.

I own the pictured TL and I have no trouble with mine. Fuel efficient and luxurious and sporty all at the same time.

I don't understand wasting time whining about rattles or faulting a particular car or manufacturer. The original poster, if he is so certain about the "reputation" of the TL, should buy something else and not get the chance to enjoy what is a great car.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Intermediate

If you go and drive the car, I can promise you that you will buy it. The car is notorious for rattles, and asshole dealers, but that is not the cars fault. The TL is built in the US, if thats important to you, it is to me. The car was also lead by an American designer. Drive the BMW, drive the Lexus, drive a benz, then drive the TL, compare the specs, and the navi's, I can promise you that you will buy the TL. I got in my TL and within 3 mintues I knew that it was the car I wanted.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:21 PM
8th Gear

Awsome!! Its is nice to read from alot of people who has great things to say about the TL. There are an outstanding amount of negative threads about the TL. We need a more positive threads about the TL so it can help the undecisives out.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:51 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
As was stated, the forum is not intended to be a love fest or advertising tool. If you are into such things, take a look at how Consumer Reports feels about the TL. There are plenty of positive threads on the TL. Read through some of those negative ones with an open mind. The car and the owners are both not perfect but so-what. Still at of near the top of its class in most areas.

Awsome!! Its is nice to read from alot of people who has great things to say about the TL. There are an outstanding amount of negative threads about the TL. We need a more positive threads about the TL so it can help the undecisives out.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
[hijack]Thank you for your service, I have a brother in Iraq as well. [/hijack]

When you were in Germany, I assume you were looking at GDM 330s. Are they much different from what we get Stateside? Just curious, haven't been in Germany in 20 years.

I guess it was the GDM 330. I was there 2000-2003 and wanted to buy the car and take it back. Most guys buy the car and put 500 miles on it and avoid the lux tax. The German spec does have some differences. I asked the dealer why the U.S model allow you to lower but not raise the windows from the fob and he said "BMW cannot afford the legal costs of American courts if something happen and somebody rolls it up on a somebody's neck." I hope your bro is anywhere else in Iraq but Baghdad...where I am...for 31 more days...LOL.
My advice is to buy the TL...just buy the Nav. I took the cheap route that's going to end up costing me more. Whe I get back to the states I am going to trade mine in for the 2007 Nav. I'll get taken on that deal...for sure.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Advanced

What a prick

The guy was just asking a question, yet you feel the need to make a personal attack on him. It's people like you that scare others from joining/participating in these forums.

Well, back to the thread topic. You're going to find a lot of posts with issues regarding problems or what people would improve. That's only natural, considering that most people will turn to these forums to fix such problems instead of coming on here to say that their car is doing great. It's just the nature of the beast. Don't get me wrong, they're all things to keep in mind, but I definitely wouldn't make that the determing factor of your decision. With that said...Go for it! Or wait for the '07s to come out. lol
Old 08-21-2006, 05:23 AM
Banned

Dudes, no flaming. it's pointless.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Brown Chaos, you're a typical 18 year old. "Know your facts"... *laughs*

I wasn't agreeing with the original poster, I was saying that if he was SO sure about the "reputation of headaches and problems" that he should buy something else.

I own the pictured TL and I have no trouble with mine. Fuel efficient and luxurious and sporty all at the same time.

I don't understand wasting time whining about rattles or faulting a particular car or manufacturer. The original poster, if he is so certain about the "reputation" of the TL, should buy something else and not get the chance to enjoy what is a great car.

Typical 18 year old? Erm...okay...

But you didn't clarify what side you were on either. So it could easily be taken both ways then, can't it

And i do agree with you, i don't understand what's the point in wasting time with it. Considering like someone else said, each car has these issues, it's the risk you take. But i guess some people like to know all the facts, it makes sense in a way, but also doesn't.