Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell for an A6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I sell for an A6?

I've had my 04 TL for a year and a couple of months now, and am contemplating switching over to an Audi A6. I am an Audi die-hard and the TL was a detour to my car ownership history.

However, I'm having a hard time justifying the decision. The Audi is going to be 15K more for almost the same appointments, and lesser horsepower. But Acura cannot yet match the prestige offered by Audi, nor the refinement of German engineering. Admitted, it's a lot of car for the money, and I still feel tons of pride about my decision to buy it (price-value equation). However, my love for Audis is beckoning, and I am torn.

The thing that's making it so difficult for me is that I LOVE the TL! It's truly a great combination of sport, luxury, convenience, and price. I've test-driven the A6 3 times now, and everytime I step back into my Acura, it makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. Acura truly has made it a tough decision for people like me.

Anyways, looking for opinions and thoughts. Fire away....

P.S. BTW, anyone interested in buying my DGP/Camel 6-speed Navi TL with 18K miles can feel free to email me at guptni00@hotmail.com. Thx!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Yes, there is nothing that makes people think you have arrived as much as showing up in a fancy VW!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess you'll feel pride at the cost of maintenance and frequency of repairs of a typical Audi too.

I'll NEVER understand some people's obsession with PRESTIGE. If you really like the A6, you should buy it, but PLEASE don't tell us that it's not as good, but you're willing to pay more for prestige. It doesn't sound too smart.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Banned

Been There Done That

Dude, I Had A Audi A6 4.2 Quattro, An Im Telling You, Acura Rules. Bang For The Buck Incredible Engineering Etc. But If You Own One You Already Know. An Bear In Mind Ford Owns Audi Now. Honda For A Ford? Never! I Also Owned A Tt Quat, An Got A Ticket For Racin A Hottie In A Rx8 Down I35 Outside Of Dallas, I Got Nailed For 106, She For At Least 110.....but I Was Letting Her Win, At That Time, (2000 A6/2002 Tt) Audi Was Bad Ass
Old 08-09-2005, 12:33 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Neumahn
Yes, there is nothing that makes people think you have arrived as much as showing up in a fancy VW!
That's kind of innapropriate man...

But really, Audi doesn't have THAT much prestige. If you want prestige, you're better off buying any BMW or something like a Mercedes-Benz E350. ONLY get the Audi A6 if you truly love it and you can do it with no regrets. Otherwise save your money and keep the TL.
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by leeherman
I guess you'll feel pride at the cost of maintenance and frequency of repairs of a typical Audi too.

Plan on getting really friendly with your service department.
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't do it, unless you can't stand the TL...you will be sorry
Old 08-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Originally Posted by cityboyblues
Dude, I Had A Audi A6 4.2 Quattro, An Im Telling You, Acura Rules. Bang For The Buck Incredible Engineering Etc. But If You Own One You Already Know. An Bear In Mind Ford Owns Audi Now. Honda For A Ford? Never! I Also Owned A Tt Quat, An Got A Ticket For Racin A Hottie In A Rx8 Down I35 Outside Of Dallas, I Got Nailed For 106, She For At Least 110.....but I Was Letting Her Win, At That Time, (2000 A6/2002 Tt) Audi Was Bad Ass
I couldn't understand most of this post, but I do know that Ford does NOT own Audi. Audi is owned by VW.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Funny, but many reviewers of the audi say the prestige is not as high as bmw
or a benz!

Coming from a VW passat GLX, I can say you are likely to have loads of
problems, including a lot of serious problems, not just rattles or the turn
signal not being loud enough.

In 2 years and 27,000 miles, the passat had loads of serious problems, water in the ecu's (inside the car), fuel pump worn out, corroded connections to the transmission, constant check engine light, etc.
The audi's are basicly the same cars, just more sporty than the VW's.

Wonderful cars, but the German reliability is and has been going down hill
fast!

Brett
Old 08-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

It's unfortunate that all you guys gleaned from my post was my comment on the prestige with the Audi nameplate. All I said was that the Audi brand was more prestigious than Acura, not that I want to buy it because of that. As a matter of fact, I despise BMW because of the snob-value it carries. I love Audis because of the understated elegance and class they offer, not the prestige.

I adore Audis, and I love my Acura TL too. The essence of my post was that I love my TL enough to make it a hard decision justifying the A6. I absolutely agree that the TL offers the best combination of price/ features/performance and reliability (thank you!) in the market. However, it doesn't drive as well, handle as well, nor feel as refined as the A6. The big question I'm pondering is whether these differences (and my personal gratification) are worth the $15k extra for the A6??!!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
Honestly, on a TL forum, you're going to get a biased answer.
Your post would best benefit you in our Car Talk Forum where there are owners of all brands of cars. Good luck with your decision, both are good choices.

Since we cannot move threads across major forums, please feel free to post there. Thanks.