Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shipping damage saga continues...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shipping damage saga continues...

Some of you remember my post back in October about the chipping paint on my brand new TL's front bumper. It had obviously been very poorly repainted by the selling dealer before delivery to me. They are 3 hours from me and have not responded to a single call or email. Acura customer relations told me back then there was nothing they could do, as "each dealer is independently owned and operated".

Now, almost the entire driver's side of the front bumper is without paint...it has virtually all flaked off. I took the car to my local dealer today hoping they might be able to help, and they said the same thing...it has to go back to the selling dealer. Again, they are 3 hours away and completely nonresponsive, and I'm sure there's no chance they will take responsibilty anyway.

I called Acura customer relations again today, and told them Acura has to take some responsibilty for the car's transport and storage before delivery, since it's dealer will not. Again, I was essentially shrugged off an explanation of it being a dealer problem and not a manufacturer issue.

I called my insurance company, and they will not cover it either. I got an estimate of $1100 to repair it. What else can I do now?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
1) Pack a lunch, get your favorite CD's and road trip it.
2) Learn a valuable lesson about buying local for certain things.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by BG74
Some of you remember my post back in October about the chipping paint on my brand new TL's front bumper. It had obviously been very poorly repainted by the selling dealer before delivery to me. They are 3 hours from me and have not responded to a single call or email. Acura customer relations told me back then there was nothing they could do, as "each dealer is independently owned and operated".

Now, almost the entire driver's side of the front bumper is without paint...it has virtually all flaked off. I took the car to my local dealer today hoping they might be able to help, and they said the same thing...it has to go back to the selling dealer. Again, they are 3 hours away and completely nonresponsive, and I'm sure there's no chance they will take responsibilty anyway.

I called Acura customer relations again today, and told them Acura has to take some responsibilty for the car's transport and storage before delivery, since it's dealer will not. Again, I was essentially shrugged off an explanation of it being a dealer problem and not a manufacturer issue.

I called my insurance company, and they will not cover it either. I got an estimate of $1100 to repair it. What else can I do now?
Keep calling until you get the manager on the line.

Fill him in on what youve been through and see what he can do for you
Old 04-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Racer

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the problems.

The only thing I could suggest is sicking xtin in them! That lady can kick some serious dealer ass. I'm thinking about putting her on retainer!

P.S. xtin - how did the exams go?

gurney
Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by chill_dog
1) Pack a lunch, get your favorite CD's and road trip it.
2) Learn a valuable lesson about buying local for certain things.
It was at the time the only 6MT/navi on the East coast and no dealer was willing to swap for it locally.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Honor...

Aren't you covered by the manufacturer's warranty for paint and rust (5yr - 50K)?
Time for a road trip, pack some snacks (and if you're 'hood' a bat or pipe for negotiating... j/k) and get that fixed on their dime!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the problems.

The only thing I could suggest is sicking xtin in them! That lady can kick some serious dealer ass. I'm thinking about putting her on retainer!

P.S. xtin - how did the exams go?

gurney
hahahah that cracked me up. Can you BELIEVE that Service Advisor sent me an EMAIL saying he hopes I had an enjoyable experience and that I should contact him directly for anything else I need? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA Best laugh Ive had in awhile.

Exams were eh...okay I guess...90, 93, 98 and 76 were the grades. yikes. I gotta keep my GPA up up up!
Old 04-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

It was at the time the only 6MT/navi on the East coast and no dealer was willing to swap for it locally.
No one would swap? That's odd. Nonetheless, you should either drive to the dealership or constantly call until you get the manager. Good luck with it.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Send a registered letter to the dealership telling them they have 30 days to correct the issue otherwise you'll file a case in small claims court.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by DanL
Send a registered letter to the dealership telling them they have 30 days to correct the issue otherwise you'll file a case in small claims court.
Interesting idea. That'd burn bridges, though....

I read about your situation before and this is totally unacceptable.

Your options are:

1. Go back to the selling dealer and make noise until you get to the general manaager so they can do (2) or (3) below at their cost.
2. Have the bumper repainted at your cost.
3. Have the whole bumper cover replaced (no repaint as it matches your color) at your cost.

None of these is an easy option, but your situation is, as I say above, unacceptable.

Edit: $1100 seems a bit high to me for a bumper repaint...
Old 04-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Team Anthracite Webmaster

try the BBB, too.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:20 AM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
True, but this is the only time he has to go to this particular dealership, right? Any warranty-related work can be done by a different dealership. Once this situation is addressed, he doesn't have to step into that dealership ever again.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DanL
True, but this is the only time he has to go to this particular dealership, right? Any warranty-related work can be done by a different dealership. Once this situation is addressed, he doesn't have to step into that dealership ever again.
Good point. I hope he resolves his situation. It actually makes me glad I was able to purchase from a dealer close to me (only 2 miles from my house in my particular case).
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Pro

Good point. I hope he resolves his situation. It actually makes me glad I was able to purchase from a dealer close to me (only 2 miles from my house in my particular case).
That's my argument...what if I bought the car a a dealer in California and then moved to CT? Would I still be expected to return to the selling dealer? Doesn't Acura have any responsibility to ensure that a new car is delivered as such, despite the fact that it's dealers are independently owned and operated? In any event, the regional manager is supposed to call me...we'll see if that actually happens.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Pro

I read about your situation before and this is totally unacceptable.

Your options are:

1. Go back to the selling dealer and make noise until you get to the general manaager so they can do (2) or (3) below at their cost.
2. Have the bumper repainted at your cost.
3. Have the whole bumper cover replaced (no repaint as it matches your color) at your cost.

None of these is an easy option, but your situation is, as I say above, unacceptable.

Edit: $1100 seems a bit high to me for a bumper repaint...
I was thinking about just replacing the cover...I checked and they don't come painted, however.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Wait, wait.

The bumper was chipping when you got the car brand new... but you said the selling dealer had painted it poorly? Why was the bumper painted by the dealership?

If there was damage prior to the sale and that's why they painted it, then was there any sort of paperwork? If there was, look through it. There's almost always a clause regarding warranty for the work. If there was warranty, then it should be covered by any Acura dealership. THAT is why people go to dealership; they are willing to pay extra compared to local shops, so they can get the vehicle serviced anywhere in the country if need be. You better make that clear to them.

Worst case scenario, you get it painted out of pocket... but $1100 is RIDICULOUS!! It shouldn't cost more than 300 to get a bumper cover painted. Who quoted you $1100? Jeepers Creepers, talk about a fucking anal rape. I hope that comes with a 30-day supply of anal cream.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Wait, wait.

The bumper was chipping when you got the car brand new... but you said the selling dealer had painted it poorly? Why was the bumper painted by the dealership?

If there was damage prior to the sale and that's why they painted it, then was there any sort of paperwork? If there was, look through it. There's almost always a clause regarding warranty for the work. If there was warranty, then it should be covered by any Acura dealership. THAT is why people go to dealership; they are willing to pay extra compared to local shops, so they can get the vehicle serviced anywhere in the country if need be. You better make that clear to them.

Worst case scenario, you get it painted out of pocket... but $1100 is RIDICULOUS!! It shouldn't cost more than 300 to get a bumper cover painted. Who quoted you $1100? Jeepers Creepers, talk about a fucking anal rape. I hope that comes with a 30-day supply of anal cream.

Good luck.
The bumper started chipping about a month after I got the car. It looked fine when I picked it up. Now, upon inspection, there's overspray all over the undercarriage that I should have noticed.

The $1100 quote was from a local body shop who told me that the cover would have to be replaced otherwise they could not guarantee that the new paint would adhere properly. Sounds like BS to me...he also told me the bumper was two pieces and had to be replaced as such. I checked his part numbers and he's trying to charge me for a new A-spec front lip (which I don't have) plus paint and labor for it, even though it comes painted. More shady a$$holes, I guess.

Anyway, the selling dealership's regional manager called me and said there is no record of the car ever being repaired. He then told me it could have happened at the port (WTF? does he know they are built in Ohio??), and he is going to call my local regional manager and see if they can repair it under warranty. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro

Here's a pic of their great work after only 11K miles

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Anyway, the selling dealership's regional manager called me and said there is no record of the car ever being repaired. He then told me it could have happened at the port (WTF? does he know they are built in Ohio??), and he is going to call my local regional manager and see if they can repair it under warranty. I'm not holding my breath, but you never know...
They finally replied! Here's hoping they take a little responsibility....but you're right. I'm not holding my breath.

I recently had my whole rear bumper repainted and a tiny dent removed. I paid a little over $300. $1100 is a ripoff.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:01 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

BG - on that pic...do you know what was the cause of paint chipping?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by chill_dog
BG - on that pic...do you know what was the cause of paint chipping?
I guess just an amazingly shitty attempt at a repair? It only has 11,000 miles on it.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Dragging knees in

I remember your old thread, BG74. I think I had your VIN looked up for transportation claims and found none. (Thanks to Tim.)

That's really shitty that the dealership is not cooperating. I do agree with whoever mentioned taking a road trip out there. Perhaps they will take it more seriously when you talk to them in person, face-to-face. Best of luck to ya.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I remember your old thread, BG74. I think I had your VIN looked up for transportation claims and found none. (Thanks to Tim.)

That's really shitty that the dealership is not cooperating. I do agree with whoever mentioned taking a road trip out there. Perhaps they will take it more seriously when you talk to them in person, face-to-face. Best of luck to ya.
Thanks for that, BTW! Acura talked to the dealer today and there is no record of them performing any sort of bodywork. Would damage at the factory or other location show up in a search for a transportation claim? Could this have happened at the factory and been hastily repaired before the car was shipped?

In any event, it sounds like they may be covering it under warranty pending another inspection.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Racer

That looks like the bumper was repainted without prepping the original paint surface at all. No primer, not even a quick sanding. Whoever did that knew that it would start to lift up really quickly.
How many miles did your car have when you bought it new? I used to have a friend that worked at a dealership and they used to take the new cars (and customers cars in for major service) overnight to play with them. I wonder if that is what happened to your car before you bought it. The person who took the car overnight may have had a little accident and had a buddy do a quick fix to put it back on the lot unnoticed. BTW, the general manager never knew that employees were taking cars off the lot overnight.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by davenlei
That looks like the bumper was repainted without prepping the original paint surface at all. No primer, not even a quick sanding. Whoever did that knew that it would start to lift up really quickly.
How many miles did your car have when you bought it new? I used to have a friend that worked at a dealership and they used to take the new cars (and customers cars in for major service) overnight to play with them. I wonder if that is what happened to your car before you bought it. The person who took the car overnight may have had a little accident and had a buddy do a quick fix to put it back on the lot unnoticed. BTW, the general manager never knew that employees were taking cars off the lot overnight.
It only had 6 miles, so that's probably not it
Old 04-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Dr. Feelgood

[IMG][/IMG]
Yikes! It looks like the clear coat is sh_t! Good thing it's just the bumper. Good luck. I'm crossing my fingers for you. If the dealership didn't repaint the bumper initially, then it should be covered under warranty.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro

UPDATE:

After a number of phone calls back and forth with Acura's horrible customer relations department, they have finally agreed to fix the car at my local dealer as a good will gesture. Thanks for the advice and replies from everyone here!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Lt. Dangle

After a number of phone calls back and forth with Acura's horrible customer relations department, they have finally agreed to fix the car at my local dealer as a good will gesture. Thanks for the advice and replies from everyone here!
I just love that crap: "One of our designated dealers -- who proudly displays our corporate name and logo -- sold you a car we built with -- for whatever reason -- a shitty paint job . . . but somehow this is your fault . . . so we are going to fix your car for you at your local dealership 'as a good will gesture.'" Thanks, Acura. That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. What total crap. I guess Honda REALLY is an American car company now . . .
Old 04-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by enormus
I just love that crap: "One of our designated dealers -- who proudly displays our corporate name and logo -- sold you a car we built with -- for whatever reason -- a shitty paint job . . . but somehow this is your fault . . . so we are going to fix your car for you at your local dealership 'as a good will gesture.'" Thanks, Acura. That makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. What total crap. I guess Honda REALLY is an American car company now . . .

I hear ya.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by enormus
The a$$hole at Acura corporate actually implied this was all my fault for buying a car 3 hours from home. He said, "This all probably isn't worth the couple of hundred bucks you were trying to save, huh? I guess you'll know better in the future.." Prick.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Racer

You should start a little fight between the dealership and Acura corporate by telling the GM at the dealership that the Acura corp guy told you that you should not have bought your car from that specific dealership. If the GM asks why he said that, say you don't know, maybe they are being audited by corporate for their practices.

HAHAHAHA
Old 04-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by davenlei
You should start a little fight between the dealership and Acura corporate by telling the GM at the dealership that the Acura corp guy told you that you should not have bought your car from that specific dealership. If the GM asks why he said that, say you don't know, maybe they are being audited by corporate for their practices.

HAHAHAHA
I tried to explain to him that my car was the only 6MT/navi on the entire East Coast when I bought it, and he had no clue what I was talking about.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:53 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can see the problem...

The problem is that this is obviously a poorly done, quick and dirty repair. It never left the factory this way, I'd be willing to bet on that.

So your local dealer saw that and figured they'd never be able to claim warranty on it and sent you back to the selling dealer on the assumption they were behind it. Can't say I'd blame the local dealer for taking that position on what appears to be a shady situation.

But there is one other possiblility here, the transit company. Transporters have been known to damage vehicles and repair them just enough to slip them by on delivery and then run like hell. Could be what happened here and your selling dealer simply didn't catch it.

But that doesn't excuse the treatment you're getting from the selling dealer or Acura - especially Acura because they should be taking the attitude that you're being honest and help you get to the bottom of how this happened and getting it addressed - which they are, but not after a lot of hassle on your part.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

The a$$hole at Acura corporate actually implied this was all my fault for buying a car 3 hours from home. He said, "This all probably isn't worth the couple of hundred bucks you were trying to save, huh? I guess you'll know better in the future.." Prick.
What arrogance! What a prick. I don't even know what I'd do in that situation. I know I'd be steamed. I'd also be less likely to purchase another Acura.

I'm so glad I haven't had to deal with "Customer Care" at Acura, as this is yet another of multiple posts dealing with the poor customer care at Acura. That could only lead to my never purchasing another Honda/Acura product. I've heard that the corresponding division at Lexus dos far better in treating their customers as if they were worth keeping. This can't be an isolated problem and maybe Acura should look into their service a little better.

And Honda of America wonders why people don't consider Acura a truly high-cachet luxury car company....
Old 04-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Dr. Feelgood

^^ I hear ya Bob. I wonder if the conversation was "recorded for quality assurance?"
Old 04-17-2006, 05:08 PM
Dragging knees in

Oh, wow... I can't believe he actually said that to you. Who does he think he is?