Sponsored by:

SH-AWD TL....truth or myth ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by vipergtp
I guess 123abc is soopa he used to say the same thing 10 months ago...
Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
SH-AWD is a certainty, CEO Fukui said so himself. If that doesnt mean anything to you guys, I dont know what will.

As for platform modifications, the SH-AWD was and IS used on an Accord platform. The initial SH-AWD prototypes were on a US spec Accord, you can see the videos for yourself on Honda's website with the SH-AWD demo.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
SH-AWD is a certainty, CEO Fukui said so himself. If that doesnt mean anything to you guys, I dont know what will.

As for platform modifications, the SH-AWD was and IS used on an Accord platform. The initial SH-AWD prototypes were on a US spec Accord, you can see the videos for yourself on Honda's website with the SH-AWD demo.
Two videos are here... we posted them since... urr... hundreds of days ago...

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/i%92m-getting-hammered-klez-virus-attempts-90126/
Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
offering the AWD on TL does not change the marketing strategy between RL and TL. two completely different class segment. It's like saying offering the v10 in a dodge truck will hurt Viper sales. No parallel !! It will however reduce cost on the AWD and quicker recovery cost on the R&D as well since it's on many more cars and the econmic scale favors sharing cost accross models and gain incremental revenue. Christ 80 of Nissan cars and trucks have basically the same engine and that didn't hurt their product line MAxima, G, M, I, FX, pathfinder all have the same motor tuned for different cars. I have 2 of them parked in my garage now.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by racezx9
offering the AWD on TL does not change the marketing strategy between RL and TL. two completely different class segment. It's like saying offering the v10 in a dodge truck will hurt Viper sales. No parallel !! It will however reduce cost on the AWD and quicker recovery cost on the R&D as well since it's on many more cars and the econmic scale favors sharing cost accross models and gain incremental revenue. Christ 80 of Nissan cars and trucks have basically the same engine and that didn't hurt their product line MAxima, G, M, I, FX, pathfinder all have the same motor tuned for different cars. I have 2 of them parked in my garage now.

Bingo. Let the RL get more gadgets and features (night vision, cooled seats, laser cruise control) and it will be pushed even further away from the TL.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:03 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by traidsganster

They tend to make each car different rather similar, putting SH-AWD would basically make TL and RL the same car..and what's the point?
Acura has already got a little gripe for not making the RL a V8 like it's competitors. I would assume that when acura does put the SH-AWD into the TL they will also up the RL to a V8 (hopefully having the V8 as an option for the TL too).

I agree though there has to be a signaficant difference between the RL and the TL.. the luxury comparasion is getting close to even.... that leaves the HP and the SH-AWD, and acura has already said the SW-AWD will be put into their V6 sedans.

It's a safe guess that the RL will come out with a V8...

I've also heard a rumour that the Prelude is coming back as a V8? can anyone confirm/deny this? That would be a fast lil' coupe...
Old 04-22-2005, 09:54 AM
SK7
always late

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda/Acura do make V8 engines. However its only racing engine would be sick to put that bad boy in TL or RL.

Honda WOULD not bring back PRELUDE..... i have one now. Trust me ... all prelude owners wish they would... but it just aint happening. We always have those WET DREAM threads saying next generation Prelude should have been this way and with that engine. Blah blah. Prelude is gone but not forgotten. I think they were idiots for stopping production. The could have made it into a RWD with a TL motor.

One thing about Honda is ... they dont know how to make manual/auto trannies. I remember reading somewhere that reason why they are soo crapy is becuase they decided to design the thing themselves VS having it done by some company who knew what they were doing. When they did they made it strong enough just enough to support the HP given at stock form. Why do you think the trannies always fail and people complain.

With what people been saying about honda staying with what works is true. YES... they have been doing this for years now. Thing is... it doesnt work anymore. People dont want BLAH styling and your contemporary 80s-90s look. Honda just doesnt have it in them to break away from the mold like they did back in the day. To be honest... if they dont change the game plan soon.... they will fall behind FAST. I mean look at all American cars trying to copy japanese automakers. What does Honda do... tries to copy Americans.

I think society/people are asking for individuality now a lot more then ever. Thats why we see a lot of options, engines, drivetrains, colors, this that. We want to stand out. from the rest. So as much as we all love honda/acura brand, unless they change... WHICH I DOUBT they will. We all will loose our interest in them.