Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SH-AWD TL....truth or myth ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Acura YES, I have been waiting a long time for this. Thankfully TL's come with 6 speed, but I'm also wating for honda to come out with their version of new gerneraton of auto tramsmissions like SMG, DSG, etc. I'm sure once they do it will be one of the best. A hybrid would be nice too.

Honda wants to save the fuel economy race for the Insight and Civic and give Acura a performance boost much like it did for the Accord. A hybrid will most likely be mated to an all-wheel drive Acura and give the car 4-clyinder fuel economy with power that equals many of Acura competitor’s V-8s. “The primary focus will be on performance,” Tom Elliot, executive vice president-American Honda, says. Honda also plans to offer AWD on more models including the TL. And even Honda gets miffed over the constant media-gushing for Toyota. Elliot makes note that Honda has three hybrids on sale to Toyota’s one though Toyota gets all the press for the Prius. Toyota will even up the odds with the RX400h and Highlander later this year.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Retired MOD

According to Acura YES, I have been waiting a long time for this. Thankfully TL's come with 6 speed, but I'm also wating for honda to come out with their version of new gerneraton auto tramsmissions like SMG, DSG, etc. I'm sure once they do it will be one of the best. A hybrid would be nice too.

Honda wants to save the fuel economy race for the Insight and Civic and give Acura a performance boost much like it did for the Accord. A hybrid will most likely be mated to an all-wheel drive Acura and give the car 4-clyinder fuel economy with power that equals many of Acura competitor’s V-8s. “The primary focus will be on performance,” Tom Elliot, executive vice president-American Honda, says. Honda also plans to offer AWD on more models including the TL. And even Honda gets miffed over the constant media-gushing for Toyota. Elliot makes note that Honda has three hybrids on sale to Toyota’s one though Toyota gets all the press for the Prius. Toyota will even up the odds with the RX400h and Highlander later this year.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Is this for the 06?
Old 04-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Is this for the 06?
My best guess, but no one knows for sure, the comment was made on february 14, 2005
Old 04-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Retired MOD

Duplicate....Delete please
Old 04-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

I am assuming the SH-AWD will bring the price up. If that is the case I will definatly hold off, being a New Englander
Old 04-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
2006 if we're EXTREMELY lucky, 2008 is more realistic
Old 04-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Go B's Go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merge it to the official "2006 thread"??
Old 04-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am assuming the SH-AWD will bring the price up. If that is the case I will definatly hold off, being a New Englander
If you're a true New Englander like I am, you will keep the Taurus for another 20 years, then when it dies, you will fix it up to run another 10 years. Ultimately, you will junk the Taurus but it will tear your heart out.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I doubt it. It would probably end up hurting RL sales.

But I expect it in the TL line in the future. My guess is that the MDX or RDX are next to get SH-AWD.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

The MDX has AWD though, and I am assuming it is intelligent to some extent, just not SH-AWD.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:46 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

I think making the TL a AWD is a bad idea since repair cost and purchase cost will go up too high for most people who buy Japanese cars for their reliability and low cost combo. Either stay FWD(boooo) or go RWD. I don't think I would pay more than what they ask for now for TL. At the price of the RL and up, I'd rather go BMW.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1,005 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by BstonBruin
merge it to the official "2006 thread"??
If it was a sure thing to be in the 2006TL, merge would be appropriate, but if it a "my best guess" type of thing, then it is probably not appropriate and should not be merged.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Safety Car

i really couldn't care less about SMG and DSG type trannies. i know they probably will outperform tradition manual trannies but it's just not as much fun without the clutch pedal.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by BiggyMcWang
I think making the TL a AWD is a bad idea since repair cost and purchase cost will go up too high for most people who buy Japanese cars for their reliability and low cost combo. Either stay FWD(boooo) or go RWD. I don't think I would pay more than what they ask for now for TL. At the price of the RL and up, I'd rather go BMW.
Ummm Subarus are very reliable and are AWD.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BiggyMcWang
They should make it as an option, or add it in as an a-spec package for people who want top of the line. but doubt it since honda/acura like to keep things in packages like lx ex v6 etc.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:32 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

I didn't say it wasn't. I'm saying reliability + low cost is why Japanese cars have a huge market. If tranny breaks, it is much cheaper to fix 1 axle than 2? Plus in AWD, if one tire blows and u have have some wear on other 3, putting just 1 new tire to replace screws up your tranny again. It's a lot of money I'm not willing to pay for unless it were and STi or something. That's one reason why I bypassed WRX for TL. My 2 cents.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
They should make it as an option, or add it in as an a-spec package for people who want top of the line. but doubt it since honda/acura like to keep things in packages like lx ex v6 etc.
I agree to that. Otherwise they might be burning a hole in their pocket. Acura is up there in sales for being low cost but with luxury in contrast to expensive Lexus. They should have some high cost/low volume cars, but still keep their booming business in high volume/low cost.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Repecat
If you're a true New Englander like I am, you will keep the Taurus for another 20 years, then when it dies, you will fix it up to run another 10 years. Ultimately, you will junk the Taurus but it will tear your heart out.

LOL so true...just replace taurus with bonneville.....

and there is no way we will see awd in the 3g TL...
Old 04-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Racer

The MDX has AWD though, and I am assuming it is intelligent to some extent, just not SH-AWD.
MDX has 4WD not AWD. The two rear wheels are engaged like a 4x4. 4x4 systems are locked into a 50-50 split. The beauty of AWD is that power can be distributed in ratios ranging from 90 percent to the front wheels, 10 percent to the rear or vise versa. Most AWD systems use a viscous clutch to sense slippage at any of the four wheels. When a wheel begins to lose traction, power is automatically transferred to the wheel(s) in need of better grip.

Also I think it won't be till 2008 or so for them to bring out AWD.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

Haven't any of you taken any ECONOMICS or MARKETTING classes? If an RL has SH-AWD and just came out in 2005. Why would Honda/Acura bring a lower model (TL) and make it practically the same vehicle specs? Not only it will hurt the RL sale but in term proves nothing for doing such a thing.

Let's take an example

You have a RSX with 160 and 210hp
You have a TSX with 200hp
You have a TL with 270hp
then you have a RL with 300hp SH-AWD

They tend to make each car different rather similar, putting SH-AWD would basically make TL and RL the same car..and what's the point?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Instructor

I bet when the TL gets SH-AWD, the RL will get a larger more powerful engine or hybrid to distinguish between the two. Isn't the 6sp TL already quicker than the RL? I wonder if Honda will only have SH-AWD available with the automatic tranny due to the complexity on how it operates leaving the 6sp TL to just two wheel drive.

AWD would definitely be a nice option, but while Honda is making a tunnel for a drive shaft to the rear, why not convert it to RWD as the standard layout.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for clarifying the 4wd and awd thing. So the MDX is all mechanical, where is SH-AWD is pretty much the same thing as 4-matic. Are all cars with Awd intelligent?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Racer

Well the MDX is intelligent in a sense. It will automatically engage 4wd for you when it senses slippage. Most awd systems only send power to the front and rear which is intelligent in a way. But others like the sh-awd, quattro and i think the evolution not sure. Can divide the power in front or rear to either side. So if your front needs 80% power and rear 20% and the front right needs more power then the left front it will conpensate per wheel. I hope this helps let me know im trying to explain it the easiest way i know.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:27 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by traidsganster
Haven't any of you taken any ECONOMICS or MARKETTING classes? If an RL has SH-AWD and just came out in 2005. Why would Honda/Acura bring a lower model (TL) and make it practically the same vehicle specs? Not only it will hurt the RL sale but in term proves nothing for doing such a thing.

Let's take an example

You have a RSX with 160 and 210hp
You have a TSX with 200hp
You have a TL with 270hp
then you have a RL with 300hp SH-AWD

They tend to make each car different rather similar, putting SH-AWD would basically make TL and RL the same car..and what's the point?
I think you guys are being short sighted here in that you are only looking at the Acura product line specifically. Almost all of the major competitors are offering AWD. At the very least take the infiniti route....make it an OPTION!!!

Also when looking at Acura's product line you see an increasing need for more power in the upper end. Acura has pretty much maxed out the current V6 engines in both the TL and the RL, there is really nowhere left to go (unless they intend to introduct turbocharging). Many reviewers have noted the RL's lack of power and the fact that it would be a stunning car with a V8. Whether Honda wants to face reality or not is another matter.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
SH-AWD in the TL is certain. High level Honda executives have said so.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

where do you get this info???
Old 04-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Suzuka Master

But the question is whether it will be in the 3rd gen or not. I remember someone in another thread mentioning that it would require redising of the entire underbody. Also, AWD steals power, a lot of power. In addition I THINK that most AWD or 4WD is divided up 60/40.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:45 PM
SK7
always late

I'm also intrested to know where you guys getting this info from. Seems to me its all specualtions or Heard it from a guy who knows a guy that works at honda.

I dont think introducing AWD to TL will kill anything. If anything it will bring in more customers who are looking for performance gains as well as winter driving.
Someone mentioned it it would be pointless since it will kill Rl sales. So if that goes, then shouldnt AUDI not offer it on A4 and A6 since A8 sales will dive. So far it hasnt happen.

Infiniti is offering AWD as an option on G series and look at their sales of G35X (awd) they been on a rise since a lot of people like me in North east concerned about the snow.

Plus.. the more systems they make say RL or TL the cheaper it will be for them to make it and the R&D from one car to another will be cheaper.

SMG type tranny on Acura/Honda is way overdue. Honda hasnt made a good tiptronic tranny ever. I mean look how many recals they had on their tiprtronics or Auto's in general. Their tranny is way too weak and cant handle the abuse or even just normal driving.
As far as manual VS SMG/auto argument. To each his own. Auto/SMG trannies are a lot more advanced now then a few years back and most auto cars can do same thing as its manual counterpart with only minimal loss. Yes you dont have that great of a control that some of you guys might be looking for, but hey when you stuff in NYC traffic like me AUTO is your best friend.

I think honda Needs to step it up a notch from their conservative outlook on engine performance and build a more powerful engines that still offer the same reliability. They havent WOWed the public in a while and every review you read its the same thing... needs power.. lacking torque. But trust me it will be a while If EVER that honda will make a Turbo(yes they have a turbo honda out in production but not in USA)
Old 04-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by Gadgets
I bet when the TL gets SH-AWD, the RL will get a larger more powerful engine or hybrid to distinguish between the two. Isn't the 6sp TL already quicker than the RL? I wonder if Honda will only have SH-AWD available with the automatic tranny due to the complexity on how it operates leaving the 6sp TL to just two wheel drive.

AWD would definitely be a nice option, but while Honda is making a tunnel for a drive shaft to the rear, why not convert it to RWD as the standard layout.
The 6spd TL is definitely and NOTICABLY quicker and faster than the RL. One reason it's not in my sites at the moment. You bring up a VERY intersting question though...will SHAWD have an available 6spd??? Hmmmm.......
Old 04-19-2005, 05:08 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by SK7
yes they have a turbo honda out in production but not in USA)
Not USA? Sure they do, the Aquatrax! "Imagine a turbocharged 1235cc, 165-horsepower PWC, equipped with scalpel-sharp, class-leading maneuverability courtesy of a race-inspired trim system, and pair of very cool new two-tone color schemes. Now picture yourself and your favorite passenger proving there's never been a better two-up turbocharged machine for shredding water."

Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
Not USA? Sure they do, the Aquatrax! "Imagine a turbocharged 1235cc, 165-horsepower PWC, equipped with scalpel-sharp, class-leading maneuverability courtesy of a race-inspired trim system, and pair of very cool new two-tone color schemes. Now picture yourself and your favorite passenger proving there's never been a better two-up turbocharged machine for shredding water."

Old 04-19-2005, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SK7
I'm also intrested to know where you guys getting this info from. Seems to me its all specualtions or Heard it from a guy who knows a guy that works at honda.

I dont think introducing AWD to TL will kill anything. If anything it will bring in more customers who are looking for performance gains as well as winter driving.
Someone mentioned it it would be pointless since it will kill Rl sales. So if that goes, then shouldnt AUDI not offer it on A4 and A6 since A8 sales will dive. So far it hasnt happen.

Infiniti is offering AWD as an option on G series and look at their sales of G35X (awd) they been on a rise since a lot of people like me in North east concerned about the snow.

Plus.. the more systems they make say RL or TL the cheaper it will be for them to make it and the R&D from one car to another will be cheaper.

SMG type tranny on Acura/Honda is way overdue. Honda hasnt made a good tiptronic tranny ever. I mean look how many recals they had on their tiprtronics or Auto's in general. Their tranny is way too weak and cant handle the abuse or even just normal driving.
As far as manual VS SMG/auto argument. To each his own. Auto/SMG trannies are a lot more advanced now then a few years back and most auto cars can do same thing as its manual counterpart with only minimal loss. Yes you dont have that great of a control that some of you guys might be looking for, but hey when you stuff in NYC traffic like me AUTO is your best friend.

I think honda Needs to step it up a notch from their conservative outlook on engine performance and build a more powerful engines that still offer the same reliability. They havent WOWed the public in a while and every review you read its the same thing... needs power.. lacking torque. But trust me it will be a while If EVER that honda will make a Turbo(yes they have a turbo honda out in production but not in USA)
Old 04-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Retired MOD

Thanks for clarifying the 4wd and awd thing. So the MDX is all mechanical, where is SH-AWD is pretty much the same thing as 4-matic. Are all cars with Awd intelligent?
Well VTM-4 is not all mechanical it uses hydrulic fluid pressure. The RL instead is Electronic, yes it is similar to 4-matic, but 4-matic has electronic LSD not electromatic clutches. 4-matic is only to control traction (the best in that case) at all times it will not assit you going around the coner like the RL does. BTW the SH-AWD is a 70:30 30:70 split where at any given time it could split the rear 70 from 0:100 100:0 from left to right.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by Gadgets

Actaully before the RL there was honda inspire (SH-AWD test vehicle) In a test video the SH-AWD system is driven by 6-speed trans. About converting to RWD I would guess they should.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:31 AM
SK7
always late

Originally Posted by JackSprat01

Yes i'm well aware of turbo jet ski, but i was talking about a car ...thats why i put down not in USA... I was going to mention the jet Ski... but didnt know if you guys follow that.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:15 AM

Received 2,787 Likes on 1,987 Posts
i want to see honda bring over their H.I.D.S.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:55 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by SK7
Unfortunately Honda is an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' type of company.

It appears as if all Honda R&D is being spent on hybrids and trucks, not more powerful new engines, SMG transmissions, etc. They have backed themselves into a corner though, in that the present V6 powerplants are really really close to maximum output. There is really nowhere left to go, except hybrid (which nets them EPA points, MPG, and additional torque), or turbo charging (in my opinion this is highly unlikely). If you want to look at a company that 'get's it' and continues to impress look at Nissan. While I find some of their designs down right ugly, the VQ engine continues to outperform every comparable V6 especially the 3.2 and 3.5 offerings from Acura. In addition they understand the importance of drivetrain layouts by allowing their customers to chose their preference on the G35 (RWD, AWD). Toyota is really stepping it up as well. The SCION is aimed squarely at Honda's Civic and if my local roadways are any indication this car is selling. The new IS from Lexus has the TL squarely in it's sites with improved power output and an interior that is almost a carbon copy of the TL's, in addition they offer a choice of drivetrain layouts (AWD or RWD). Not to mention the new GS with further emphasis on form not just function. The advertising blitz they have running is nothing short of annoying!! It seems as if I hear, or see an ad for that car almost every day.

Honda HAS to innovate and it has to do so quickly! They need to IMMEDIATELY adopt AWD or they will be left to whither in the wind, they have no choice! They have to improve the performance on the current powerplants. If the RL (which is presently running Honda's highest output engine to date @ 300bhp) is any indication of the expected performance associated with their AWD technology they better have a secret power plant in the works or it is good night!

Introducing the new and reworked AWD 2008 Acura TL. With a 3.2 liter 276.654 hp engine, producing a staggering 239.77763 lb ft of torque this car REALLY moves. Feel the rush of the wind as this car takes you from 0 to 60 in 8.9 seconds* all the while never losing traction!

*Results may vary
Old 04-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Wave runners rule!!!!! Thats the only thing I can legally drive fast on at my age, o yah! The top speed on the ones we have used was barely 50. The Seadoo RXT is 215 ponies, and I can't wait to find a place that rents that out.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:56 PM
Advanced

I just ran across this on www.edmunds.com thought it could add to the conversation.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef73dcd

I personally agree with many of the responses here Acura needs to add AWD to the TL platform and soon. There are to many competitors with AWD already or adding it to their cars in the new future. Also on the subject of the RL sales being hurt by the TL being offered with AWD to me is non existent. Whats the difference if they do it current generation or next. The cars are still in the same class as will fall into the same price ranges in 2006 or 2008. And yes I do realize the RL is a new model, but its all sales to Acura so whats the difference.

Just my

I do however feel that even if the TL is offered in AWD in 2006 or 2008 that it will not be available in the 6-speed version only in automatic. You see that with the G35 and the 2006 IS from the information I have seen. I know its not a luxury vehicle, but look at the new MAZDASPEED 6 coming out. 274HP and 280lbs torque with AWD and Manual Transmission starting at $27,995 - Come on Acura what are you waiting for!

Quick Reply: SH-AWD TL....truth or myth ???