Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Installed Clear Bra (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Self Installed Clear Bra (Pics)

Well I know everyone I talked to and everything I read said not to install a clear bra myself but I figured I didnt have much to loose and the install was way too much to pay ($600 plus) so I went for it. I ordered one for my '05 TL and one for my mom's '04 RX 330 since I was planning on visiting her.

I ordered full (bumper, hood, fenders, and mirrors) 3M clear bras from a great guy on ebay named Steve Gullickson (chipgardman is his name on ebay) and got them a few days later and went to work. He was very nice and talked to me thru email numerous times with tips and pointers and even sent his phone number in case I had any problems. All that was needed with a polly squeegy, felt squeegy (both included with the bras), the install CD which was also sent with the bras and really cleared up any questions I had, a heat gun, 2 clean spray bottles, baby shampoo, and rubbing alcohol.

I started to do a how to but the CD really clears up any thing you may be unsure about. The only thing I can add is that you just need a very clean environment (the wind kicked a little dust under the acura hood piece during the install) and a lot of time (took me about 3 hours to install). While this install isn't perfect, I am very happy with the results and the only one that will notice any imperfections like the one shown on the hood by the grill is me for the most part.

First up the Acura and sorry for the dirty car. Most if not all the spots you see are actually bugs
Head On

Hood Line

Mirror

Hood Imperfection (just noticed it looks like a bubble here but it isn't and really doesn't stand out like the pictures makes it look like.

ACURA on bumper (need to trim the bra a bit because it over laps the bottom along with the "A" and doesn't look great IMO)

Lexus RX 330 (white dots seen are actually chips not bubbles)

Again I just wanted to thank Steve for the great products and all his help and wanted to post his ebay store link to help other members out. I am not associated with him in any way, just a happy customer
Old 05-23-2008, 01:57 PM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I been wanting to do this but I always worried aboout the paint itself under the clear bra. Since you can't really wax and polish it.... Does the paint ever get damaged underneath it...
The job looks clean man... i'm bout to go that route as well...just hope that i have the patience to get it looking that nice.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
do your touch up paint, and then detail the paint, and a few coats of synthetic car wax (stands heat better) and then install the clear bra
I have been waiting for warm weather- the other place I know that sells 3m has it in 6 mil thick and 8 mil, but wont sell the 8mm until its warm enough to work with easily
Wish I had done this when I got the car a few years ago- boy the chips get on it fast!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job. That spot on the hood by the grill piece is a bear. Just too many angles going on. You did good with it. You always have the feeling once done that you could nail the next install.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Thanks and you are right. The next install on the lexus went great because I figured out how to stretch the bra on my car and then work the film into the curve instead of just putting it on as you go. Stretching is the key I learned

Originally Posted by Richard Weed
Good job. That spot on the hood by the grill piece is a bear. Just too many angles going on. You did good with it. You always have the feeling once done that you could nail the next install.