Satin Silver vs Anthracite

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003 | 12:09 AM
Instructor

Satin Silver vs Anthracite

I'm constantly debating weather to get the new TL in either silver or anthracite with the aero-kit. I'm having a hard time deciding (i love both colors).

If you guys have any comments on either color (especially if u own it) please let me know what u think. And if anyone has pics of an anthracite with body kit that would help too because i think the body kit would be more subtle on the grey color.

Anyways i'd appreciate either your opinions or pics...thanx.
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:01 AM
Chief TL Aviator

Anthracite / Ebony interior is the way that I went! Very classy / contemporary look, especially with the Blue lighting used on the interior at night! I also liked the metallic nature of the paint.

Has gotten lots of compliments ...
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:23 AM
Instructor

I've spoken about this before, but I believe silver is the way to go. The reason I say this is that silver (and white, though I like it less) show off the lines of the car to best effect. That's why Acura uses silver in most of the TL advertisements - they know this color shows the car in its best light.

At night, the details and features of the black and blue models completely disappear - same with the anthracite.

Not to mention silver is easier to maintain, to clean, and generally has a higher resale value when you go to sell the vehicle.
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:11 AM
Pro

I have Satin Silver Metallic and I was debating whether to get the Anthracite or not...I went with SSM because it is more practical to have...in reality, you will get scratches, dust, dents and all those other things...and I find that silver hides it the BEST out of all the other colors...and I also got the entire body kit with the deck lid spoiler and man let me tell you one thing...THIS CAR GETS SOO MANY LOOKS, it's unbelievable...people on the highway give me a "thumbs up" as they are driving by lol...with the silver and ebony interior, it has a good contrasting effect because of the aluminum trim inside the car...so silver on the outside and silver/black on the inside...GREAT COMBINATION...i will post pics soon so you can see it...give me a few days...thanks..
Old 11-21-2003 | 08:31 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Gundar
I've spoken about this before, but I believe silver is the way to go. The reason I say this is that silver (and white, though I like it less) show off the lines of the car to best effect. That's why Acura uses silver in most of the TL advertisements - they know this color shows the car in its best light.

At night, the details and features of the black and blue models completely disappear - same with the anthracite.

Not to mention silver is easier to maintain, to clean, and generally has a higher resale value when you go to sell the vehicle.
I tend to disagree that the details disappear with Anthracite at night... Maybe with the darker colors, but Anthracite looks BEST in bright sun and at night, when street lights are on.. it sparkles.

Silver was always my first choice when I started car shopping, but I didn't want to be like everyone else
Old 11-21-2003 | 08:44 AM
Advanced

First, I wanted silver based on what I saw in the brochure. Then I saw Anthracite on the lot and decided it was the color I had to have. The dealer couldn't find one like I wanted (ebony, 6mt, no nav) in the timeframe I wanted, but they found a silver. I ended up buying the silver.

Now, when I go out the door or across the parking lot to the car I have a stupid grin on my face. I love the silver and think it's gorgeous. It really does show off the lines of the car. I'm glad I ended up with it over the Anthracite.
Old 11-21-2003 | 08:55 AM
Instructor

Everybody has silver. Anthracite is in. Its the hottest colour and it is light enough so it hides the scratch, swirl marks etc. Having said that, I purchased a Silver only because Anthracite was not available with NAVI in Canada.
Old 11-21-2003 | 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

I've had two Silver TLs....2000 and a 2002 Type - S (and still have a silver MDX), so I decided on WDP because I was ready for a change. But I highly recommend you get Silver over Anthracite. IMO, Anthracite is "flinty" looking when it gets the least bit dirty. Plus, with silver you never have worry about it showing swirls in the paint like the darker colors.

Silver absolutely shows the lines of the car far better than Anthracite. No question about it. Tint the windows on the silver car, and it greatly enhances the look, but when I see dark colored cars with dark window...I don't know, it just makes the car look like so many others on the road. With silver (or WDP), the car always distinguishes itself because the lines and contours are so much more visible.

long winded answer, but I know how hard it is to make these decisions, and you've got to really be sure about your decision.
Old 11-21-2003 | 10:45 AM
Advanced

Considering the "everybody has silver" comment... that was another reason I really liked the Anthracite. But I also see some merit in looking just like all the other sedans in the world. I don't care to have a car that appeals to others, I want one that appeals to me, and the TL is silver definitely appeals to me.

... And if a highway patrol officer thinks I'm just another Accord and it's probably the Infinity behind me that is speeding, well, so much the better :-)
Old 11-21-2003 | 11:41 AM
Pro

Originally posted by jdriver
Considering the "everybody has silver" comment... that was another reason I really liked the Anthracite. But I also see some merit in looking just like all the other sedans in the world. I don't care to have a car that appeals to others, I want one that appeals to me, and the TL is silver definitely appeals to me.

... And if a highway patrol officer thinks I'm just another Accord and it's probably the Infinity behind me that is speeding, well, so much the better :-)
I meant "everybody has silver" in the reference that it is easier to find your car in a large parking lot when it is anthracite

If you haven't seen it on the lot, don't decide off what you read here.

Actually, I wasn't even CONSIDERING Anthracite at all... I was between black and silver.. then I got to the dealer and saw that Antracite shining in the Sun... and was totally blown away.

Mike
Old 11-21-2003 | 12:58 PM
Instructor

but the thing is....i really like the areo-kit of the new TL and i think that on darker colors it appears a bit more subtle (which i want) how do u guys think it would look on the anthracite. I've seen the satin silver with areo-kit and it does look sweet.
Old 11-21-2003 | 06:52 PM
Intermediate

I love the anthracite. But we got the silver because it was my wife's favorite(it is her primary car, I only get to drive it occasionaly). But both cars looks great. I don't think you will go wrong either way, especially with the black interior.
Old 11-21-2003 | 07:14 PM
Racer

I checked out all the colors and absolutely love the Anthracite especially with the Quartz interior. It is classy and well coordinated. I saw the Anth/Black and then Silver/Black but until I saw the Anth/Quartz I did not know how great it was. It is stunning.
Old 11-23-2003 | 11:54 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

summary:

Anthracite: less common - shines more - shows details less
Silver : catalog color - shines less - shows details more

I like black myself, but dealer didn't have it 6MT + NAV
(but black is a pain to keep clean - if you have kids you have no time)