Runnin on empty, great song scary reality!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004 | 09:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation Runnin on empty, great song scary reality!

Well, decided I was going to try and make it to the gas station by my house today. I took the car all the way to below empty and the trip computer saying zero, it said zero for another 5 miles before I got to the gas station.

I thought this thing was empty, I was only able to stuff 15 gallons into it so it looks like I could have gone another 35 miles?
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:16 PM
Banned

Probably

That is why I will take a trip one day in the future with a gallon of gas in a portable tank and run it to almost empty (sputtering but not dry) to see how much is left when it say you are empty.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:16 PM
BOOK EM

Don`t forget to count the fumes
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Exclamation Re: Runnin on empty, great song scary reality!

I ever fuelled 15.6 into my car after missing the early exit at I-80 in mid-PA while empty inidcator was on already... unless it's in an emergency, I'll not do this again.

TO Z Factor, I'm waiting for your extreme report.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:22 PM
Banned

Acording to the forum...

There's supposed to be about 2˝ gallons in the tank when it says empty. This is the "reserve tank" feature.

You really have about 50 miles of gas remaining when it says zero.

I guess Acura don't trust you enough to let you run out of gas.
Judging by your post, I would say that they are right.
Old 01-22-2004 | 09:28 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I'm buying the drinks for the first idiot to actually run out of fuel in this car. At nearly 30MPG on the freeway, you have nearly 90 miles before you run out. You guys weren't ANYWHERE near running out...
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Judging by your post, I would say that they are right.
Yeah, well I could have put Thorntons gas in the car but I think I'd rather walk than put that swill into my car. I like to push the envelope early, get it over with so I have a feel for how far the car will go.
Old 01-22-2004 | 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm buying the drinks for the first idiot to actually run out of fuel in this car. At nearly 30MPG on the freeway, you have nearly 90 miles before you run out. You guys weren't ANYWHERE near running out...
I've had the car two weeks, so I had no way of knowing how much was left at zero. In my previous car if it said empty it was empty. I never ran out of gas in that car so I'm sure I won't in this one either.
Old 01-22-2004 | 11:46 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Norse - Didn't mean to insult. Was actually trying to be humorous. There was a separate thread on this in either this forum or one of the other TL ones about how strange it was that there are still 3 gallons left when the gauge reads "Zero miles".
Old 01-23-2004 | 02:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Z Factor
That is why I will take a trip one day in the future with a gallon of gas in a portable tank and run it to almost empty (sputtering but not dry) to see how much is left when it say you are empty.
Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you plan to figure out how much is left with a gallon of gas in a tank? (This sounds like one of those Car Talk Puzzlers.
Old 01-23-2004 | 10:43 AM
Advanced

All Automakers are conservative

About 6 or 7 years ago, Ford would predict gas all the way down to zero miles left. This story was in the news -- A woman ran out of gas with miles showing until empty. She started to walk to a gas station and she was killed. Ford got sued for millions because the trip computer didn't show zero and she ran out of gas. Ever since then, when Ford gets below 50 miles, it just says "low on gas". Many auto makers have followed suit and build in a reserve. It's a CYA that I am OK with...
Old 01-23-2004 | 12:14 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: All Automakers are conservative

Originally posted by TXTL
About 6 or 7 years ago, Ford would predict gas all the way down to zero miles left. This story was in the news -- A woman ran out of gas with miles showing until empty. She started to walk to a gas station and she was killed. Ford got sued for millions because the trip computer didn't show zero and she ran out of gas. Ever since then, when Ford gets below 50 miles, it just says "low on gas". Many auto makers have followed suit and build in a reserve. It's a CYA that I am OK with...

Right, whatever designs the car makers try to do, they will always divide the freedom-mind Americans into two different groups, like it or dislike it.

The first "empty indicator" is the first safety feature, telling you 3-5 gallon left. You still have plenty of time to feed up your tank.

The second "mileage left" is the second/final one, indicating 2-3 gallon left...

I don't want to see any indicator related to my fuel suddenly telling me "you have 1-2 gallon left" while I'm in the middle of desert or countryside highway.
Old 01-23-2004 | 11:25 PM
Pro

Re: All Automakers are conservative

Originally posted by TXTL
I have not heard this one before. I had an 85 Cougar that had a very good trip computer. It would go down to zero and would have about 1/2 gallon left. The thing that made it good was it kept adjusting the amount of miles you had left. If you had been driving on highway, it thought you could go a lot farther on the last two gallons, saying maybe 50 miles or so. If you were driving in the city, after about 20 miles it might say you only have 15 left. But, at zero you were almost sure you had 1/2 gallon.