Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The RR Journals: Trim tool kit SOJATP2014

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
The RR Journals: Trim tool kit SOJATP2014

Honda makes reference often to tool kit SOJATP2014 for removing trim pieces, like the A-pillar, door panels, etc.

The kit is made in Japan by KTC.

I got mine here:

http://thetoolnetwork.com/panel_popp...l_company.html
Old 08-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great find!! Thanks alot!!
Old 08-02-2004, 10:00 PM
-Team Anthracite Member-

cool

good lookin out man!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:24 AM
Not a Blowhole

Update:

The original link is spotty:

Do a search for alternate sources of the oroginal kit, or perhaps this Eastwood Company kit might usffice.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...roductID=10306
Old 12-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Team Nighthawk Director

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Road Rage or anyone: Ever see or find the proper tool to remove those plastic "rivets" that Honda/Acura and other manufactuers use on plastic trim? These "rivets" are about 1/4" in diameter, maybe 1/2" long and fit through a hole in the panels. Then a center piece pushes through the center and expands the back part of the fastener. The center piece pulls back out to remove the fastener. An example of where these are used is the plastic under-engine shield. (On the TL, it doesn't have to be removed for an oil change, but on my Civic, it does). When these clips are damaged, they are about $2 to replace, and they are easy to damage. When dirty, the center doesn't like to pop out.

There's a slot on both sides of the center piece, so a screwdriver will fit in and pull out the center, but this isn't always a convenient way to pull it out, and can damage the fastener in some cases. Basically, a big pair of tweezers with the ends bent in towards each other would make a simple tool to remove these. (I tried making one, but haven't found anything that bends instead of breaks yet).

So is there a proper tool for these? Internet searches have turned up nothing, for me at least.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Not a Blowhole

This is why I posted these links! If you went to the Eastwood site, that would be apparent.

??????????????

For the poor man, read the license plate bulb replacement thread I just posted - you can do what you seek with a credit card and a small needle nose pliers.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

If it's the fastener I'm thinking of, the center pin actually pushes into the clip, and then the whole clip can be removed.

hey road rage:

"It means 'I ain't taking shit from nobody'"

Rodney Dangerfield, American Comedian
Old 12-25-2004, 11:10 AM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by Bluenote
If it's the fastener I'm thinking of, the center pin actually pushes into the clip, and then the whole clip can be removed.

hey road rage:

"It means 'I ain't taking shit from nobody'"

Rodney Dangerfield, American Comedian
I have no idea what you mean, but you have stated the clip's functionality BACKWARD. The center pin needs to be popped UP first to remove it. Dangerfield is dead - he ain't giving the advice I am.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Road Rage
This is why I posted these links! If you went to the Eastwood site, that would be apparent.

??????????????

For the poor man, read the license plate bulb replacement thread I just posted - you can do what you seek with a credit card and a small needle nose pliers.
I've been getting the Eastwood catalog for years, and checked their trim tools on their website. Nothing they have appears to be appropriate for these clips. There's no way a credit card would get into some of the recessed areas where these clips are installed.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Nice find.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Pro

Great info Road!
Old 12-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by Hybrid
I've been getting the Eastwood catalog for years, and checked their trim tools on their website. Nothing they have appears to be appropriate for these clips. There's no way a credit card would get into some of the recessed areas where these clips are installed.
Ya know, your post really bugs me - hijack your own thread! I did 5 of the poppers with a credit card, and the Eastwood thread points right to pry bar tools. Fpr cryin out loud, what do some of you expect? Have you nothing to contribute but a ill-founded complaint?
Old 12-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Ex-Acura Service Manager

We must be thinking about different clips then. There is in fact a clip that is released by pushing the pin inward, instead of pulling it out. Much easier to use.

Your quote:

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light..."

reminded me of the scene in 'Back to School' where Rodney Dangerfield recites the poem & is asked by the professor what it means.

His reply was "It means 'I ain't taking shit from nobody'"
Old 12-25-2004, 09:32 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya know, your post really bugs me - hijack your own thread! I did 5 of the poppers with a credit card, and the Eastwood thread points right to pry bar tools. Fpr cryin out loud, what do some of you expect? Have you nothing to contribute but a ill-founded complaint?
Eeeasy there "pistol grip",,,,,, :-)

Now I see why you call yourself "Road-Rage". If that little post resulted in that response, I would hate to see what an innocent mistake on the freeway would invite.....

Merry Christmas!

Smitty
Old 12-26-2004, 12:52 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Eeeasy there "pistol grip",,,,,, :-)

Now I see why you call yourself "Road-Rage". If that little post resulted in that response, I would hate to see what an innocent mistake on the freeway would invite.....

Merry Christmas!

Smitty
You obviously know nothing about my temperament as displayed here - find where I raged at anyone. When you spend time posting something useful, with links, and then have someone say the link is bogus, I will await your reponse with tremendous anticipation.

Grow up, but thanks for the lecture.

P.S. The Merry Christmas at the end was a classy touch - it used to be referred to as gauche. Look it up.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:26 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You obviously know nothing about my temperament as displayed here - find where I raged at anyone. When you spend time posting something useful, with links, and then have someone say the link is bogus, I will await your reponse with tremendous anticipation.

Grow up, but thanks for the lecture.

P.S. The Merry Christmas at the end was a classy touch - it used to be referred to as gauche. Look it up.

Thank You

Smitty
Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Acura Love

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...YAU9C&v=glance

I found this one on Amazon today, I'll let ya'll know how they work! Thanks for the advise RR.

LAndo
Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Micro screwdrivers are my favorite tools
Old 06-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow, now I have seen it all. A 4 year old thread resurrected!!!!!!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:29 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Its all good Fulani. I'm definitely for using the search to resurrect threads people might find useful.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Hybrid
Road Rage or anyone: Ever see or find the proper tool to remove those plastic "rivets" that Honda/Acura and other manufactuers use on plastic trim? These "rivets" are about 1/4" in diameter, maybe 1/2" long and fit through a hole in the panels. Then a center piece pushes through the center and expands the back part of the fastener. The center piece pulls back out to remove the fastener. An example of where these are used is the plastic under-engine shield. (On the TL, it doesn't have to be removed for an oil change, but on my Civic, it does). When these clips are damaged, they are about $2 to replace, and they are easy to damage. When dirty, the center doesn't like to pop out.

There's a slot on both sides of the center piece, so a screwdriver will fit in and pull out the center, but this isn't always a convenient way to pull it out, and can damage the fastener in some cases. Basically, a big pair of tweezers with the ends bent in towards each other would make a simple tool to remove these. (I tried making one, but haven't found anything that bends instead of breaks yet).

So is there a proper tool for these? Internet searches have turned up nothing, for me at least.
I wonder if a fuse puller would be good for this.