Rolling down windows from outside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004 | 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Rolling down windows from outside?

My dealer showed me how to press some button on the remote and all 4 of your windows will scroll down. I forget how he showed me however. Can anyone explain please?
Old 01-28-2004 | 12:37 PM
Intermediate

i think u press unlock and hold it down....

i cant seem to figure out how to roll them back up
Old 01-28-2004 | 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jattilicious

You can't auto roll them all up from the Key Fob like you can rolling them down. However, you can use your key in the door lock to roll them back up.
Old 01-28-2004 | 12:42 PM
Intermediate

ohhh ok..thanks...
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jattilicious

why would you want to roll them down and then roll them back up without getting in the car?
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by adam209
why would you want to roll them down and then roll them back up without getting in the car?
I'm sure that's for the same reason that my wife never changes her mind.
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by nickpoore
I'm sure that's for the same reason that my wife never changes her mind.
ok, i stand corrected
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:17 PM
Intermediate

hahah

just to play with the window feature...i was trying it out in the garage cuz outside it's been freezing cold and snowing
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:28 PM
Racer

This is the 3rd car we've owned which has this feature. All of them provided this feature by pressing and holding down the unlock button on the FOB.

My 96 Jetta would roll down all windows and open the sunroof. My wife’s 04 Maxima only rolls down the driver and passenger windows. The Jetta was a little nicer in that if you hit the lock button and held it down, it would close up everything. The Maxima does not do this.
Old 01-28-2004 | 01:50 PM
Banned

Living in California, I'm surprised you asked that question.

The ability to open all windows and the sunroof with one touch of the key for allows you to air the car out by letting the heat escape. Also having the ability to close everything with one turn of the key is convenient rather than pressing 5 buttons to close everything back up. You can also use the feature after having driven with the windows open for the same reason.

Old 01-28-2004 | 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Z Factor
Living in California, I'm surprised you asked that question.

The ability to open all windows and the sunroof with one touch of the key for allows you to air the car out by letting the heat escape. Also having the ability to close everything with one turn of the key is convenient rather than pressing 5 buttons to close everything back up. You can also use the feature after having driven with the windows open for the same reason.

the only reason i would roll the windows down though was if i were going to go for a drive. secondly, i guess i'm just used to rolling up the windows before i get out of the car. i'm a creature of habit
Old 01-28-2004 | 02:41 PM
Team Owner

I would rarely use the roll-all-down-and-open-the-sunroof feature. I did it once by accident (got distracted and held the wrong button down), and it was annoying to have to get in the car and roll them all up plus close the sunroof. It would be nice if a hold-down on the lock button would close everything back up.

Mike
Old 01-28-2004 | 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by svtmike
I would rarely use the roll-all-down-and-open-the-sunroof feature. I did it once by accident (got distracted and held the wrong button down), and it was annoying to have to get in the car and roll them all up plus close the sunroof. It would be nice if a hold-down on the lock button would close everything back up.

Mike
You can roll them all up with the key in the driver door lock, just lock it, and then hold it toward the lock position for a couple of seconds. Why this isn't a feature of the FOB like the unlock is a complete mystery to me. Seems so obvious there must be some reason??
Old 01-28-2004 | 02:55 PM
Team Owner

I wasn't aware of the feature at all (like I said, it's of minimal use to me since my car is garaged at work and home), but the lack of symmetry to the feature (fob opens, key closes) makes it nonobvious unless you've scoured the manual.

Mike
Old 01-28-2004 | 02:58 PM
Instructor

This is just my guess since I too prefer to have the all windows closed on the FOB. I think it is for physical injury precaution. Closing windows can trap body parts. Doing it remotely will increase this possibility since you can press the button accidentally and will not be aware of what you just did. Using the key lock, you are right there by the door and have better control in stopping the roll up and in a good distance/position to see or hear if anyone is being pinched by the windows.

I don't think the TL 04 has an auto roll down feature if it detects resistance when closing (like the new garage doors). So that is my take. Nothing official.
Old 01-28-2004 | 03:04 PM
Advanced

I was really excited to hear about this feature...those few seconds with the windows makes a hugh difference with black leather in the hot summer!

In response to all these safety issues, I wish there was some sort of document that I could sign, stating that I am not a dumbass so please stop taking away functionality b/c it could harm some idiot.
Old 01-28-2004 | 03:12 PM
Intermediate

anti-pinch

mrtech:
Actually, the driver and passenger windows do have the anti-pinch feature to stop rolling up when they detect resistance. Same with the moon roof - my salesman demonstrated it for me. Back seat passenger windows do not have this feature (probably because they don't have the auto-open/close either).

Have yet to try the FOB roll-down feature because it's raining here (surprise!), but someday...

- Peter