Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Noise in a TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Noise in a TL

I'm most likely going to get a 2005 TL with auto and navi. The only thing that I found that I didn't like too much (everything else I love about the car) is the road noise on highways.

Can I do anything about that like adding a different tire with a quieter tread? I realize I will sacrifice some road grip for a softer tire.

Is there something that can be done to add insultation around the trunk or in some gaps in the car to try to lower the noise?

Is not a big noise but it's noticeable when you are also comparing it to a C240 or a Infiniti G35 which are also contenders.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Love this forum. Glad I found it.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I would start with tires.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
For my preference, I didn't like G35 sedan and coupe I tested drove last summer, they're noisy.

Back to TL, although I dislike EL42s Bridgestone tires, I think they're very quiet. If you get better performance tires, the noise could go up rather than low. IMO.

Would you consider to test-drive another 05TL? (I test drove 3 04TLs, the first one was terribly noisy and unbalanced.)(a few ppl felt 05TL suspension is stiffer than 04TL's, will this be the factor of noise control...?)
Old 12-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Old 12-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onalake
I'm most likely going to get a 2005 TL with auto and navi. The only thing that I found that I didn't like too much (everything else I love about the car) is the road noise on highways.

Can I do anything about that like adding a different tire with a quieter tread? I realize I will sacrifice some road grip for a softer tire.

Is there something that can be done to add insultation around the trunk or in some gaps in the car to try to lower the noise?

Is not a big noise but it's noticeable when you are also comparing it to a C240 or a Infiniti G35 which are also contenders.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. Love this forum. Glad I found it.

Turn your hearing aid down.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Instructor

C320 is even noiser than the TL.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When car shopping, I drove the TL and G35 back-to-back on the same afternoon. The ride quality, both smoothness and noise level, was much better in the TL Handleing went to the G35, interior to the TL, exterior to the TL ergonomics to the TL, and lastly value, to the TL. The G35 is a great car, but not for me.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:04 AM
Racer

Aren't Turanzas rather quiet, and offer good traction?

I used to have them on my old civic, and they were pretty killer compared to the competition
Old 12-18-2004, 01:07 AM
Gratis dictum

They are fairly quiet, but are not a very good tire. They flatspot when left overnight, are subject to hydroplaning, and are next to useless in the snow.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Onalake,
Everybody has different tolerance levels. Factors like road surface, car/tire combination, and comparisons with other cars come into play. I am like you-found the tire roar of the EL 42 objectionable but have gotten somewhat used to it now. If it wasn't going to cost $600 plus I would have replaced mine already. Messing with the sound proofing of body, cabin etc will not do it. Its the tire pattern and construction. To think that they cost $220+ and have gotten godawful reviews from users is pathetic!!Do not understand how this substandard piece passed the famed Acura quality control? But check out the Tire Rack site. They evaluate ride and road noise based on feedback from customers. Not always to be totally trusted but can useful in picking the right tire. I like the ratings on the Pirelli Nero, Yoko AVS DB S2, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Might switch over to one of these before too long. And absolutely do get the TL!
Old 12-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

noise comment

If you are getting the navi model, they all come with the michelins instead of the EL42's. I dont know if they are any better, I read in another thread that someone said they were only marginally better, but nonetheless michelins are always better than bridgestones in my book. I bought my 05 TL navi about 3 weeks ago and im pretty happy, but I too noticed some noises while on the highway. Not only road, but I get some hefty wind noise from my door area that is pretty well spread out, thus i cant pinpoint one spot. when I get my first oil change, I will mention these noises to them....jason
Old 12-18-2004, 03:00 PM
I shift therefore I am

Anyone know how the Potenzas (HPT option) compare with the Turanzas?
Old 12-18-2004, 03:14 PM
I6

The HPT are great. Just don't drive in the snow or cold weather with them.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:24 PM
I shift therefore I am

I mean, in terms of noise? I know the HPTs are softer, so theoretically they should be quieter, right?
Old 12-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Camry's are always available - if you want a tomb, buy a Lexus.

It would not be easy to materially change the nature or ditsrbution of the TL's overall sonic profile.

I have measured the TL's noise with a portable FFT Spectrum Analyzer, and it is competitive with the published specs of the world's best sport sedans, and better than the 3-series. Wind noise is very low.

Of course, noise perception is not a static figure. A decibel reading does not come close to determining subjective response, which is determined by the DISTRIBUTION of the frequencies generated by the powertrain, the tires, and quality of the door seals, and the like. Each person has a different subjective response to this distribution - some equate a bit of road noise with a sporting demeanor, while some yearn for a Lincoln Town Car or a LS400.

The biggest factor on road vibration is how soft the bushings are, especially in the sub-frames. Make them jello-soft, and you can get the quiet, Novacaine effect. But the TL's road manners would be greatly compromised. Add a ton more asphalt-insulation into the A,B, and C pillars, and you increase weight at the expense of performance and economy. Anyone willing to check that one on the Options list? Not me.

The other factor is of course, a vehicle's inherent rigidity - this is measured by its characteristic resonant frequency: the higher it is, the stiffer the overall platform. It is this characteristic which helps impart the "ingot like" sense of structural integrity which we perceive as a safe and well-constructed vehicle. As I recall, the TL's CRF is higher than the 3-series or the G35.

It's all about balance- the time to decide what car has the least amount of tradeoffs is before the purchase.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:57 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Repecat
They are fairly quiet, but are not a very good tire. They flatspot when left overnight, are subject to hydroplaning, and are next to useless in the snow.

we havnt switched tires yet.... snow on mon!!! i think i may need 2 get new tires for my dad for christmas cuz hes wont get it for himselF!!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Repecat

What a shame... they used to be much better than that (actually they were the tire I chose to keep from hydroplaning when I had my old Civic and they worked great).
Old 12-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Instructor

Thought the '05's came with Michlins?????? It should be better.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:33 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
05, no flatspoting here with the Mics but it has only gotten down to mid 30's. Car is not silent like a tomb, not designed to be and I don't want it like that. You can check the Db level in various road test at different speeds.

Are you looking at the right vechicle? I don't thinks sport/lux = silent.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Want tomb-like silence?

Get an ES330 or RL.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Want tomb-like silence?

Get an ES330 or RL.
I don't like the seats in the ES 330 and the interior electronics are not as good. RL is just not worth the money. TL has great electronics. No one else matches them yet so that's a big reason for getting a TL. It just would be nice to have it quieter inside.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Advanced

When I test drove cars I brought my sound meter with me. Essentially every car at 75 mph had the noise level of 75 decibels plus or minus a couple. This was true for six or seven different makes including the TL. However, the TL seemed quieter then lower price cars because the frequency distribution was different. Note, the salesmen were quite amused wound my wife told them to keep quiet I need to test the sound level!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

As I thought...

I've had 3 Accords prior to my TL, and the noise in them didn't get to me until this last one... Noise was a BIG thing I was looking for in getting a new car. I guess in my old age, I needed some peace and quiet.

Compared to my Accords, as I expected, the TL is leaps and bounds more quiet. I think I still expected a little more, but I am pleased with where it ended up.

(I can't say I've been in an ES330... Im intrigued now that everyone says it's a TOMB...)
Old 12-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by alv1
When I test drove cars I brought my sound meter with me. Essentially every car at 75 mph had the noise level of 75 decibels plus or minus a couple. This was true for six or seven different makes including the TL. However, the TL seemed quieter then lower price cars because the frequency distribution was different. Note, the salesmen were quite amused wound my wife told them to keep quiet I need to test the sound level!!!
My little echo...?

"Of course, noise perception is not a static figure. A decibel reading does not come close to determining subjective response, which is determined by the DISTRIBUTION of the frequencies generated by the powertrain, the tires, and quality of the door seals, and the like. Each person has a different subjective response to this distribution - some equate a bit of road noise with a sporting demeanor, while some yearn for a Lincoln Town Car or a LS400."
Old 12-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Want tomb-like silence?

Get an ES330 or RL.
Those that are familiar with the specs on the 05 RL will know that it uses an active sound-cancelling technology. A microphone in the cabin picks up ambient noise and the audio speakers produce sound that is exactly out of phase to essentially negate ambient sound.

I test drove the RL and found that it was more quiet than the TL but not AMAZINGLY quiet. If I didn't know about the active sound technology, I would have just attributed the quiet cabin to extra soundproofing. I guess the technology works better on paper.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:38 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I don't like the seats in the ES 330 and the interior electronics are not as good. RL is just not worth the money. TL has great electronics. No one else matches them yet so that's a big reason for getting a TL. It just would be nice to have it quieter inside.
As I suggested above, try another TL again, please. If you really think its noise level is still annoying, don't get TL...
Old 12-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Racer

The car magazines, such as Car & Driver, post dB levels for most test drives and the TL got 67db. This level fell at or below competive cars in the C&D March 2004 comparison.

The EL42's are quiet on most surfaces, but I have noted the Dunlop M3 winter tires are more consistant on all surfaces, though a bit louder overall. The EL42's can get quite loud on specific surfaces that the Dunlops seem to ignore.

I test drove the HPT optioned car back to back with the base EL42 car and the HPT car had more tire noise and suspension harshness per my and my wife's impressions. The HPT treadwear rating is about the same as the E42's, so the above and poor winter traction are the main drawbacks.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Instructor

:
I have found the road noise in the TL to be much better than my 04 MDX. The tires should make a difference but if noise is such a huge concern to you then you may want to look into a lexus becuase they are as quite as they come. You will however miss out on all the other attributes of the TL.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:20 AM
mio
Police

If u think TL got too much noise, then go get a Toyota Camry~