replacing my 350Z with a TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004 | 02:21 PM
9th Gear

Question replacing my 350Z with a TL

This week I'm trading in my 03 350Z for a 6-speed w/nav and I know I'll be happier with the practicality of the TL. What I'm wondering is if the "fun factor" will be close. Anyone trade a sports car in for a TL? How do they compare? It's tough to compare based only on magazine articles and a test drive.
Old 03-06-2004 | 02:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

someone was either thinking about trading their Z or did it. try a search for it because i remember a thread about it.
Old 03-06-2004 | 02:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

here's a thread about it. http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...highlight=350z
Old 03-06-2004 | 02:56 PM
9th Gear

Great - thanks. I did a search but didn't come across this thread.
Old 03-06-2004 | 03:23 PM
BOOK EM

I had a 99M3 Conv., and glad I did. It`s nice having a sports car, but was getting too small for my lifestyle. Don`t get me wrong, I`d trade the TL for a Viper any day of the week, "with or without kids", but you won`t be feeling like your driving,"your father`s Buick" at all. Get the 6MT, put springs on like I did, and you`ll be in "sports sedan heaven".
Old 03-06-2004 | 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

I wish you Track model was available with heated seats.
Old 03-06-2004 | 11:18 PM
Advanced

My step-brother has a stick G35 coupe, only rode in it once, and the car was not pushed at that time. Only have 200 miles on my TL and I have not pushed so basically I can't speak from experience, but will offer this. My 2 cents, is the Z is more a drivers car, especially near the limits (hell it's rear wheel drive). But who drives their car at the limits often enough to offest certain practicalities such as interior room and storage (with cars so closely matched such as the TL and Z), I have not hammered mine, but I am surprised to "read" at least the TL can even come close to hanging with the 350Z. We can forget about styling since your post seemed to be directed towards the fun factor. Hell, I don't know, the TL is a front wheel drive 4 door sedan, and expensive to boot, how comforatable would you (or I) feel frequently tossing it around near the limits? That's not a consideration for me, as I already have a "sports car", a LS1 powered 02 Formula, which definitely will hang with the Z. And I rarely have a need to push the car seriously hard around turns/on ramps etc.
Regards,
Old 03-06-2004 | 11:33 PM
Instructor

I am thinking very seriously of trading my Mitsu Evolution 8 for a '04 TL 6speed. I am also considering a 350z Track and a G35 Coupe both of course with the Brembos.
The Evo is a godam race car, and beats you to death on drives of more than 1/2 hr.
Old 03-07-2004 | 01:54 AM
Racer

my tl reminds me very much of my 86 z turbo which I purchased new. the difference is practicality and 2 extra seats. I LOVED my z but it got old having no practicality and that beats fun in my book.
Old 03-07-2004 | 02:01 AM
ISH
Cruisin'

Exclamation Think about it twice

Ok here's the deal. I just replaced my 2003 350Z (6sp/NAV) with a 6spd TL three days ago and I'm having a hard time sleeping. Boy do I miss my Z. Before you even think about going through with it think about it very carefully and consider what's more important to you.

In a nutshell, here are my impression of the TL:

TL PRO'S:

1. Luxury Interior- I don't have to remind you about the Z's cheap horrible plastic interior. The TL is heaven on earth!

2. Sounds system- Hands down the best I've ever heard. Period!

3. Trunk!

4. Backseat!- I don't know what to do with all this room! Backseat quickies?????

5. Moonroof!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Soft/Plush ride- This car feels like you're gliding over the pavement.

7. Quiet Interior- My headaches are gone!

8. Smooth power band- Surprisingly quick. My Z does not feel that much faster. Power delivery is sweet.

9. Good handling- Not too much body roll, considering.

TL CON'S:

1. Torque steer, Torque Steer, Torque Steer- You better practice your steering wheel death grip before you start driving this car. It;'s driving me nuts!

2. Bland looks- I'm know I'm going to get flamed for this but let's be real guys, the Z is without a doubt the hottest looking car under a 100K on the road today. After a year an a half, my Z was still turning heads. The TL, well frankly speaking, is just like every other BMW/Benz out there.

3. Very little driver feedback- First of all there is way too much steering asist in this car and the shifter is so well insulated that you do not feel connected to the car.

4. Weak exhaust note- Oh do I miss the sweet sound of my Z's engine and exhaust. The TL's note is very refined and not agressive at all. It will certainly not intimidate any one on the road like the Z does. I don't think too many people will be challenging me to race anymore.

As far as the fun factor goes, the Z wins hands down! It's a pure sportscar. That being said, the TL is an almost perfect balance of sportiness and luxury. Too bad it's not RWD.

Personally, I'm going to give the TL a chance. May be it'll grow on me. But realistically if I could do it all over again, I would keep my Z. Hope this helps a bit!
Old 03-07-2004 | 07:15 AM
BOOK EM

If your on the fence swaying back and forth, try putting yourself in the near future, not the present, "want it now" situation. What will be more useful?
Old 03-07-2004 | 07:35 AM
Instructor

Do the rental places have TL's? That would be a good way to try it for a weekend without spending a lot to find out if you like it. I love mine. I went through the same thing when I traded a Mustang GT for a Taurus SHO. Before that I had sworn I'd never drive a 4-door but I haven't driven a 2 door since. Lack off those 2 doors will make the Z's insurance higher too.
Old 03-07-2004 | 08:21 AM
Racer

Tires, tires tires. The all seasons are pitiful. A good set of sticky rubber transforms the car. Good tires reduce the "torque steer", undesteer and IMHO make the car a lot more fun. My TL reminds me a lot of my 88 911. Lots of power, but kind of "squirly" at the limit. (At least in the TL, the rear end doesn't come around on me.) The shocks and steering are a little soft, but the tradeoff is a great ride with a luxury feel.
Old 03-07-2004 | 08:29 AM
Instructor

Wow-you actually like the sound of the 3250Z exhaust note?

Was your car stock?

Personally, I think the stock 350 has one of the worst exhaust notes I've ever heard. It's way too raspy and metallic and seems to cry instead of roar when you take it through the revs.

Same for the FX35. I was behind some guy on a test drive and was mortified at how bad that truck sounded when he got on it.

Old 03-07-2004 | 06:12 PM
ISH
Cruisin'

One of the joys of driving the Z is the exhaust note. Not too loud but still makes it known that its a real sportscar. I always drove with the window down so that I could enjoy the sound of the engine and exhaust. The TL's virtually nonexistant exhaust note is driving me nuts. I know this is more of a luxury car but give me a break. I wish it sounded more like the new S4- mean but refined.

That being said, the TL's sound system makes the exhaust note a non-issue. I had the Bose Premium sound system in my Z and it sucked real bad.
Old 03-07-2004 | 06:48 PM
Advanced

Ish,
Let's be honest, the 350Z is a fun car to drive near or at the limits, but the freakin tire feathering issue and Nissan's lack of response had to drive you crazy!!! That's why I am trying to trade in mine. What did you get on your trade? The best I can get is $24,500 on a Touring 6MT with 10,300 miles in mint condition.
I probably wouldn't have reached this point if Nissan had only communicated with us.
As far as the tire issue with the TL, I plan on putting Pilot A/S tires on before I pull out of the showroom.
Your right about the 350Z exhaust note even though I would have liked more of V8 sound.
Old 03-08-2004 | 11:17 PM
ISH
Cruisin'

PICES312,
My Z was actually bought back by Nissan under the Lemon Law. I too had an early VIN# but my car was loaedd with problems (transmission,suspension,tire feathering, clutch, and th elist goes on). I took the car in for service more than 25 times over the course of a year. Although this was an isolated case, I didn't want to take a chance so I went with the TL for reliability. My plan is to wait for the 2005 Z's. Hopefully by then the tire feathering will be resolved along with all the other minor issues.
Old 03-09-2004 | 08:40 AM
Advanced

Ish,
Looks like I will be joining you soon. I have been negotiating with Smithtown Acura and if he can locate either a silver or pearl green I will sign on the dotted line. I should know more today.
I woke up in the middle of the night thinking should I or shouldn't I do it? The TL is a beautiful car but somehow it won't be the same. At the same time, I doubt I will ever own another sports car built by Nissan. I just don't trust them anymore much like how I feel about GM, Chrysler and Ford. Jeesh I am running out of car companies. I hope Acura does right by me or I may have to give up driving. LOL
Old 03-09-2004 | 09:18 AM
9th Gear

Pices,

I think you're making the right move. I'm SO disappointed with Nissan's customer service and dealer network that I won't ever buy another Nissan/Infiniti product again. I'm picking up my silver 6-speed, nav tonight and am not looking back. It sounds like I'll miss rear wheel drive and the sports car feel, but the other amenities should more than make up for that. I'll be driving my Z to the dealer's today in the snow to trade it in. I won't miss the Z's snow capabilities at all either!
Old 03-09-2004 | 09:19 AM
Team Nighthawk Whiner

Smile Re: replacing my 350Z with a TL

Originally posted by opus
This week I'm trading in my 03 350Z for a 6-speed w/nav and I know I'll be happier with the practicality of the TL. What I'm wondering is if the "fun factor" will be close. Anyone trade a sports car in for a TL? How do they compare? It's tough to compare based only on magazine articles and a test drive.

I had a 350Z Touring model, and it was a blast to drive. But it was so impractical and scared my wife to death to drive it. The TL is not as much fun and is not the head turner the Z was, but the TL is not a sports car nor meant to be. I can not imagine a better sports sedan for the price. It is overall more enjoyable that the Z. But, I have to say I do miss the racing at stop lights; no challenges yet for the TL.
Old 03-09-2004 | 09:24 AM
Advanced

There seems to be a lot of former 350Z owners on this site. How many of you got tired of waiting to hear from Nissan about the "alleged fix"?
I echo your sentiments godfreyl.
Old 03-09-2004 | 09:33 AM
Pro

While I can't comment about the Z's exhaust, maybe you can at least take SOME comfort in the fact that the TL's has been positively mentioned in several reviews, so - at least for a sports sedan - it's actually pretty good. I'm sure it's no sports car sound, though

As for looks, if you keep your car, the Z would almost certainly have looked dated (esp. after a new model comes out), whereas I've never seen an Acura that has not aged gracefully. It gets back to design philosophy of "flash" vs. "elegance", though those may not be the best words. Nissan/Infiniti are all about flash right now - not that that's bad, mind you, it just tends not to age well in most cases.