3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the Brakes (with pictures) 3G Garage #D-041

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
With re-hosted photos for anyone having trrouble with the original.

Originally Posted by Bonksnp
First of all, I want to thank Ron A for posting the scans from the Helms manual in this thread. That pretty much got me through what needed to be done.

Second, I don't believe there is a thread around that has actual pictures of someone doing the replacement so I snapped a few pictures when I changed my brakes last week in hopes this might help some of your DIY'ers with the project. It ended up being a pretty easy job once I figured out where everything was.

Tools Used (I will have to verify these later, right now I'm going from memory):
  • 17mm, 14mm and 12mm Sockets
  • Rubber Mallet
  • Cresent wrench (I believe a 6mm open ended wrench will work here, but I'm lazy )
  • Small flat head screw driver
  • PB Blaster
  • Master Pro EP Moly Grease (can't find a link for it but it was $2.99 at O'Reilly Auto Parts for a 1lb tub which is enough to do about 43267986 brake jobs. If you can't find it I understand as long as it is some sort of "Moly" grease, it should work fine.)

Front:

There are 3 bolts for the front that need to be removed. The first (and hardest) to remove is the 17mm bolt (A) at the bottom. I tried for about 15 minutes to break it loose before I soaked it with PB Buster. Let it sit for about 5 minutes then I put the socket on and was finally able to break it after hitting it with a rubber mallet.

You may have to hold "nut" (B) with a opened ended wrench. I didn't have to on the front calipers, but ended up having to on the rear ones.

Then remove the Brake hose mounting bolts (C).

Now you should be able to open the caliper up and remove the old brake pads. Be sure to also remove the "pad retainers" (D).

I still had a little bit of life left in the old ones, but they were starting to squeak, plus I already had the damn thing taken apart so....

I cleaned the pad retainers with an old tooth brush, dish soap and water. I meant to get a picture of them before and after, but only got em after.

The Helms scans recommended you put grease between all the shims and pretty much everywhere except on the rotor and "pad" side of the break pad. So that means in between all the shims and there should be 2 shims for each brake pad (I reused the "inner shims" and used the "outter shims" that came with my brake pads). I also put some on the outside of the break pad where the pad sits in the pad retainers (pointed out below) in addition to the grease on the shim.

Pic with the new pads installed (from outside of wheel well):

New pads installed (from inside of wheel well)

At this point you will need to push the caliper piston back in (sorry I didn't get a picture). There is good and bad news here. Good news is, as you push it in, it doesn't push back out. Bad news is, its a pain in the ass to push in. I think a C-clamp would have been nice here, but I just pushed it in with the end of a wrench. Once its pushed in flush to the caliper, you should be able to bring the caliper back down around the new pads and screw your bolts back in.

Here's the finished front:

Back:

On the back brake caliper, its recommended to remove the brake line mount bolts first. Well, I didn't do this because I originally couldn't find where they were mounted and assumed it was where the brake line meeting the caliper (G). After I loosened it and brake fluid started leaking, I realized that was wrong and quickly tightened it back up . I then unscrewed the caliper bolts (E) while holding the nuts (F) with an open ended wrench or, in my case, a crescent wrench.

Here's another more direct angle:

Once you have the bolts off, just wiggle the caliper back and forth until it comes off. Once you have it off, remove the rear "shims" and clean then up:

Grease up the pad shims like you did on the front pads. Note: I put a slightly thinner coat of grease on the rear shims. I figured they have less strain on them. But I'm not a grease expert, so I don't know if that matters.

Then you just put everything back together.

Like I said before, I didn't see a thread with actual pictures (which I prefer to scans from manuals) so I wanted to get one together. I probably left some stuff out somewhere, so I try and check back on this thread to answer any questions people might have.

Good Luck!
Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 AM
Spazzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only pics I can see are the avatars next to our user names??? Is there a setting I may have turned off??? I am at work on a wifi, but that should not matter, right?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:29 AM
Spazzz

I did check under "your Accout" and "edit settings" And show Pics is checked. Still no pics
Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
AZ Community Team

Your internet browser might be set to not download images.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:41 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sorry , I know it's kinda stupid but can we change without a lifter or lift the car ?
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by boyhamdzui
I'm sorry , I know it's kinda stupid but can we change without a lifter or lift the car ?
You have to take the wheels off, so you have to lift it somehow.

If you DIY, use a proper jack (not the wimpy emergency one in the trunk) and use Jack Stands.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:24 AM
BMW 535i

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Then I really have to buy one . I got 50k miles so I have to check my pads somehow.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Instructor

i change mine yesterday, the back ones. i only spend $60 for the original pads.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
Originally Posted by boyhamdzui
you can either spend $100 on a hydraulic jack and jack stands.....so you can change an axle at a time....or you can just use the stock jack and work on 1 tire (brake) at a time....
Old 05-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Pad and Rotor Chang - Lessons Learned

So I just completed my first front pad and rotor change yesterday, and learned a couple lessons: (some painful, some enjoyable)

1) I went with the Duralast Cmax Gold pads, and new Duralast front rotors. While the pads seem to be awesome, the rotors are not EXACTLY the same size as the originals. The new Duralast rotors seem to be a little thinner, with more space in between the two discs. I hindsight, I feel like I should have left the rotors alone.

2) My 2006 AT TL has 94,000 miles on it, and these are the original rotors and pads. The pads still had probably 35% of the material left on them. I probably could have waited another 20,000 miles if I wanted. But since the brake fluid had never been bled, it was probably good for me to do this.

3) Getting those 2 rotor screws off is a HUGE pain. On the driver's side, I had to beat the hell out of them with an impact wrench, to the point of actually twisting the bits slightly. On the passenger's side, the impact wrench bits broke off in the screw! This led to a nightmare of hours of drilling into that hard metal. With one of the screws, my neighbor had to come over with his dremel to help. Again, I wish I just left the rotors alone. On the passenger's side, since I drilled the screws, I was not able to use new screws to secure the rotor to the hub. While the lug nuts do most of this, the new rotor had a little bit of "play" while I was putting the caliper back on and bleeding the brakes.

4) In my local Autozone and Advance Auto, there were a couple options of brands of "Synthetic DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid". But I noticed that Prestone had a wet boiling point of like 284 degrees, but the Valvoline brand I bought had a boiling point of 311 degrees, so I went with that.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
All great info...I wonder if I've done this wrong in the past...I've never taken the caliper off where the slide assembly stays with the pads on the disk. Learn something new every day!
Old 05-29-2011, 02:17 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by thassett
...4) In my local Autozone and Advance Auto, there were a couple options of brands of "Synthetic DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid". But I noticed that Prestone had a wet boiling point of like 284 degrees, but the Valvoline brand I bought had a boiling point of 311 degrees, so I went with that.
As long as it's not Dot 5, it's fine. Dot 5 is silicone based and will mess up the seals. Dot 3, Dot 4, or Dot 5.1 are all fine.
The following users liked this post:
HokAy (11-04-2012)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:13 AM
Advanced

Problems - Post Brake Pad and Rotor Change

Hey Guys, I wanted to check in with two problems after replacing with Duralast Gold CMAX brake pads and new duralast rotors. (only the front)

1) Grinding noise - While driving at low speeds, the ride is rough with a "rrrrrr...rrrrrrr.......rrrrrrrr.....rrrrrr" grinding noise. Almost like my front tires are all screwed up, and you can feel this in the pedals, and wheel.

2) Heavy dusting - After a 400 mile round trip drive to Charlotte, my driver's side wheel had TONS of brake dust. (from a ceramic pad)

So I think the issues are......

- The new shims and guides didn't fit 100% perfectly, so I think I need to take everything apart and readjust for a perfect fit.

- Re-grease everything so that all the components slide more easily.

Anyone have any more thoughts?

Should I now get new pads again since I drove 400 miles with them not properly working?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Hey Guys, I wanted to check in with two problems after replacing with Duralast Gold CMAX brake pads and new duralast rotors. (only the front)

1) Grinding noise - While driving at low speeds, the ride is rough with a "rrrrrr...rrrrrrr.......rrrrrrrr.....rrrrrr" grinding noise. Almost like my front tires are all screwed up, and you can feel this in the pedals, and wheel.

2) Heavy dusting - After a 400 mile round trip drive to Charlotte, my driver's side wheel had TONS of brake dust. (from a ceramic pad)

So I think the issues are......

- The new shims and guides didn't fit 100% perfectly, so I think I need to take everything apart and readjust for a perfect fit.

- Re-grease everything so that all the components slide more easily.

Anyone have any more thoughts?

Should I now get new pads again since I drove 400 miles with them not properly working?
1. You sure you threaded the caliper bolts correctly?
2. Pads may be sticking. regrease the pins
3. Sticking/bad caliper?
4. Did the pads come with shims? If not, don't use any shims.
thassett (06-18-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:25 PM

^^^ i agree with all the points...

but also did you bed the pads correctly ? and new ceramic pads tend to dust like a biyatch....after 1000 odd miles they will be golden (from experiences)
thassett (06-18-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced

Post Install Issues

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
1. You sure you threaded the caliper bolts correctly?
2. Pads may be sticking. regrease the pins
3. Sticking/bad caliper?
4. Did the pads come with shims? If not, don't use any shims.
Thanks guys for the help!!!

1) I'm going to work on this over the weekend, but I'm pretty sure the bolts were threaded properly.

2) Will do. I'm going to go back and regrease everything, pull of the little rubber pin covers, and regrease those as well.

3) I THINK the calipers are in good working order, but will check.

4) They did not come with shims. I basically put the shims from the old pads, onto the back of the new pads. I'll take them off. That may be my issue.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Persistent Problems

Well, no such luck. I've done the following.....

1) Removed the old shims.

2) Thoroughly greased the pins, and all components. (except the pad surface and rotor)

3) Checked threading. Everything is okay.

4) Thoroughly cleaned and brushed with a wire brush all contact surfaces.

I'm STILL experiencing a rough feeling, and still hearing a shush....shush....shush....sound coming from the wheels.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 PM

did you bed the brakes in ? properly ?
thassett (06-19-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Bedding

Originally Posted by swoosh
did you bed the brakes in ? properly ?
Not really. Just took it out for a test drive, with a couple test stops from about 60-30 under moderate pressure.

What would you recommend for proper bedding? Do you think this will un-stick my passenger's piston?
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM

You should use red text for sarcasm....just a heads up for future uses....before you get into a internet fight and eventually banned....
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced

??

You should use red text for sarcasm....just a heads up for future uses....before you get into a internet fight and eventually banned....
swoosh, are you directing that to me? If so, with what statement do you think I was being sarcastic?

All of my questions, comments, and thank you's on this thread were genuine statements, as I appreciate everyone's help, since I am not a regular brake-job'r, and am trying to figure this out.

Sorry if you took offense, but I really was just asking the question because I don't know.......
Old 06-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Wrong thread
Old 06-20-2011, 10:27 AM

swoosh, are you directing that to me? If so, with what statement do you think I was being sarcastic?

All of my questions, comments, and thank you's on this thread were genuine statements, as I appreciate everyone's help, since I am not a regular brake-job'r, and am trying to figure this out.

Sorry if you took offense, but I really was just asking the question because I don't know.......
my apologies buddy...i thought you were being sarcastic....

Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
Wrong thread
no...i wasnt that drunk LOL....i just thought he was being sarcastic....
Old 07-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also you might want to add. Remove the Brake Fluid cap underneath the hood. I've always been told to do that to relieve the pressure.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Cruisin'

I did my pads and rotors about a month ago. When I was going to bed the pads, the front right made a sound like grinding sheet metal. Come to find out, I must have slightly bent the metal disc behind the rotor (guessing it protects the hub/wheel assembly?) and it was rubbing against the rotor. Found where it was rubbing, bent it back and sound went away.

You might try locating where you think the noise is and feel behind that rotor.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, no such luck. I've done the following.....

1) Removed the old shims.

2) Thoroughly greased the pins, and all components. (except the pad surface and rotor)

3) Checked threading. Everything is okay.

4) Thoroughly cleaned and brushed with a wire brush all contact surfaces.

I'm STILL experiencing a rough feeling, and still hearing a shush....shush....shush....sound coming from the wheels.

Anyone have any other thoughts?
I had similar problem on my driver side after replacing with the Duralast Gold CMAX pads. It was caused by me bending the middle clips (top and bottom thin metal pieces that the pad sits on). This prevent it from sitting straight. So, I took a screw driver and saw that it wasn't flush with the caliper. I pushed it in and it went away. Came back once after I was braking hard while turning. Pushed it in again - and it's good now. I have about 2K on these duralast (all 4) and they're great. No dust (anymore), quiet, and decent stopping power. Now I just need stoptech rotors (OEM ones are warped) and firmer brake lines.
thassett (07-17-2011)
Old 07-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced

CMAX Dust

EagleEye, thanks for the feedback! I'm about 1,140 miles into my new front rotors and duralast CMAX Gold pads, and am still experiencing HEAVY HEAVY dusting.

I feel like I have the thin metal guides (that the pads move along) properly in place, but maybe I need to push them in further.

Are you saying that you took your screwdriver, and pushed that metal tab (the one that sits in between the two arms of the caliper) in even further?
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
How hard is it to push the piston in without a clamp on these brakes?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Instructor

EagleEye, thanks for the feedback! I'm about 1,140 miles into my new front rotors and duralast CMAX Gold pads, and am still experiencing HEAVY HEAVY dusting.

I feel like I have the thin metal guides (that the pads move along) properly in place, but maybe I need to push them in further.

Are you saying that you took your screwdriver, and pushed that metal tab (the one that sits in between the two arms of the caliper) in even further?
Push it in so that it's flush with the caliper. Use a flat head. And make sure the metal shield on the inside was not bent during the install. I saw someone having an issue because he bent it while removing the bolts (or something like that).

The dusting is really strange. I am really not sure what's going on. Is it at least smooth and quiet? And how's the performance? Better bite than the old pads?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by estabro
How hard is it to push the piston in without a clamp on these brakes?
Are you Superman? If not, spend $5 bucks to get a C-clamp or piston tool

You cannot push it in with your awesome raw strength dude.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Instructor

I also noticed that you took out the clips but didn't use the new one that comes with the pads. Why not? Might as well right?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by EagleEye
Are you Superman? If not, spend $5 bucks to get a C-clamp or piston tool

You cannot push it in with your awesome raw strength dude.
On my bikes, I use a plastic lever and they go in pretty easy.

I think it might be worth it to treat myself to a new tool and not mess around.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:08 AM

^^^ you bet....the tool is like 5 bucks at advanced auto parts....rather than trying something and messing something up, this will be 5 bucks well spent
Old 07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
its important the piston be pushed in flat-level and NOT all the way in

place an old pad against it- then the caliper piston tool
make sure the brake fluid wasnt topped off or it can overflow--thats really bad

flushing your brake fluid is a good plan now-then every year or 2 depending on how you drive and weather in your area
wiki hygroscopic for why
Old 07-18-2011, 01:29 PM

this ^^^....i remember you saying the same to me....it helped me out....
Old 07-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Road Racer / Solo Addict

Received 300 Likes on 142 Posts
OP thanks for taking the time to do this DIY, I have changed brakes before but this helps by pointing out all the specific bolts to loosen, I'll be using this next weekend.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tehloxely
Also you might want to add. Remove the Brake Fluid cap underneath the hood. I've always been told to do that to relieve the pressure.
It's much better to open the bleeder screw when pushing the pads in. By removing the cap on the master cylinder you allow any debris that may be in the lines to be pushed into the master cylinder. This can cause problems to the seals.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you still getting the 'grinding' noise you talked about? If so, I would jack up the front tire, chock the real wheels, pull the e-brake, and put the vehicle in neutral. Then free spin the wheel and listen for any unusual noise. It would be easier to detect a specific problem than driving and try to determine. Sometimes when driving it's hard to tell if noise is coming from the front or the back!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Still Really Confused - Heavy Dusting

EagleEye and everyone else, thanks very much for the suggestions and help. I think the grinding noise and feel could be more attributed to my tires. I have some Fuzion HRi tires on my TL, and while the tread life is awesome, everything else about the tire is crappy. With normal PSi and rotation, I've been having a bad cupping problem. So I rotated the tires, and (just to eliminate this being the problem), had an alignment done. At 97k miles, my TL was pretty much still in perfect alignment.

The grinding noise and feel seems to have become less noticeable. Maybe I was just paying too much attention to it. :-)

So my other big issue has to do with dusting. After putting brand new CMAX Gold pads and Rotors on the front, and driving about 1,800 miles, I'm still experiencing heavy dusting. The drivers side seems to dust worse than the passengers side.

I feel like I have taken the wheels off my car now more times than I can count, and I have done everything, including:

1) Thoroughly greasing everything except the surface of the pad.

2) Making sure the metal clip/guides were firmly in place, and 100% correctly seated and installed. I used the new clip/guides that came with the pads, and threw away my old ones.

3) Making sure all bolts and fittings were threaded properly, and tightened with proper torque.

I just got done doing this again, and here are some photos:

Dusting - This doesn't look too bad right now because it's just from around town driving, but after a 300 mile trip, the wheels are half black. Much worse than I ever experienced with my original pads. (notice all the little black bits

By thassett1 at 2011-08-13

Guides in place and properly seated.

Bottom guides in place and properly seated.

One more side shot. Everything in alignment. Same applies for the other side.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Instructor

You're welcome dude. But, don't think we solved your problems, yet.

Good to hear about the grinding noise. Regarding dust, the inside of my wheels are black, too unless I clean them. When you referred to dusting - I was thinking more of it being brown/black on the outside of the wheels (like the BMW/Merc you see sometime). Otherwise, I think it's just regular dirt and normal... Take some pics when it's really bad. I'll take some from mine, too. See if it's what you're talking about.

Quick Reply: Replacing the Brakes (with pictures) 3G Garage #D-041