Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renting the TL

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 04:14 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renting the TL

I live in Long Island, NY. I'm going to purchase a 06TL, but before i do, i was looking into renting the TL and driving it around for about a week to see how i really like it. Spending close to 35k on a car and not liking after a while wouldn't make me very happy. Does anyone know if it is possible to rent the TL in the New York area? From any rental companies or even a dealership?
Old 06-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vsuchd1
I live in Long Island, NY. I'm going to purchase a 06TL, but before i do, i was looking into renting the TL and driving it around for about a week to see how i really like it. Spending close to 35k on a car and not liking after a while wouldn't make me very happy. Does anyone know if it is possible to rent the TL in the New York area? From any rental companies or even a dealership?
I'd say NO.

Really who takes a 35k for a week test drive? It's not a freakin' ferrari.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can rent pretty much anything... But most likely it is only a private rental place which will carry it, not Hurtz or Avis.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:29 PM
Banned

and piss your money away when you could get an afternoon loaner from a dealership to test drive.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:47 PM
6MT & LSD

While some dealerships will let you take the car for a day or even for a weekend, most won't. Once you're really serious, go see the manager and see if he's willing to accomodate your request... after all, they do have demos. I haven't heard of anyone getting it for a week, though. Also, I have not seen a single place where they rent TL's.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:15 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ndx2
While some dealerships will let you take the car for a day or even for a weekend, most won't. Once you're really serious, go see the manager and see if he's willing to accomodate your request... after all, they do have demos. I haven't heard of anyone getting it for a week, though. Also, I have not seen a single place where they rent TL's.

I never ever seen an Acura as a rental, not a Honda either. I'm very hapy about this. Hell, the dealer doesn't even keep enough for loners, they rent us other things.

Get as long a test drive as possible, go home and think about it then make a decision. If you are not comfortable then just don't buy it. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I love my TL, I hate Honda finance....................long story.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MR1
I never ever seen an Acura as a rental, not a Honda either.
I"ve rented honda civics and honda accords from the Enterprise at LAX. Though no TL's
Old 06-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never seen an Acura Rental Car, Honda's yes, Acura no. You can get a demo for a day from the dealer if you really push. If you can't decide about the car after a day, you probably won't like the car anyway. I test drove 3 or 4 TL's before I got mine, just so I could check for quality control on various cars. They were all pretty good so I ended up buying mine. Good Luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by vsuchd1

Just ask Acura for a over night test drive. here in GA, I was able to take both the Auto and Manual home overnight.

Its a lot cheaper than renting one, and not to mention that a rental car may be f*cked up if a lot of people have driven it like they are on the race track.

If you can't take it home overnight, then renting may be your only option, if you find a company that rents them. Most companies I have seen in GA, only rent out domestics (ford, GM, Chevy) etc. and to my knowledge you can't choose what you want.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally when I was test driving the TL, I went in more than a dozen times and drove it. Ok well I still had the FX35 and I was dying to get out of that into the TL - so I did this over a 4 month time frame. The dealer didn't really care - I easily got a hundred miles on the demo TL the manager was using. Just don't piss them off in the end and buy it from another dealer like I did....

But as far as your real question, it will be hard to find a TL rental car - and it's true, most people don't test drive a 35k car for a week. Maybe overnight at the most. I will tell you from my experience, you cannot possibly get tired of the TL. It has the characteristics of a sports car with the luxury feel of a higher end car. They did a damn good job when designing this car. I can also vouch for it's safety features - Honda/Acura.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by plastikman
I love my TL, I hate Honda finance....................long story.
And how is this comment in ANY way related to this thread ?

Nehow as everyone is saying rental would be tough to find...Dealer loaner is your best bet.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've rented a 00 TL in Canada back in 2001 for 10 days, they let me pick from a Camry and a TL, it was a no brainer. Can't remember the company but it was one of the big rental chain store.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:52 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by avs007
I"ve rented honda civics and honda accords from the Enterprise at LAX. Though no TL's
I'm shooked, sorry for the bad info.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:54 AM
Team Nighthawk

Originally Posted by avs007
Mee too I ended up renting a Honda Accord and my buddy loved it so much after we got back home two weeks later he bought one. You can basically rent all sorts of cars in that area.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

test driving

Depends on what you're used to driving and what you're hoping to get out of it.

If you don't know what you're looking for in a car, then test driving for a week is probably not going to help you figure out whether the TL meets your needs.

If you do know what you're looking for, write it down. Make sure you write down as much of what you're looking for as possible. That way if all you're able to get is a 1 or 2 hour test drive, you'll be prepared to make sure the TL meets as many of those items as possible.

My personal opinions:
if you want a quiet car, little engine/road/wind noise... this one is pretty good.
if you want a reasonably responsive, resonably quick 4door sedan .... this one is pretty good.

if you want awesome road response, incredible sports car-like performance, then stop looking at 4door sedans in general.